Chapter 4

The Secret Door

     After letting her friends to come in her apartment, Momo and Mina prepared themselves and wore something decent. The total of six of them sat at the living room, and not to mention the damn awkward atmosphere. Just then, Momo who felt uncomfortable under her friends’ teasing gaze decided to broke the silence.

 

“Why you guys don’t inform me first that you guys wanna come? At least, we will be prepare.” She said, awkwardly scratching her neck. Sometimes she looked over Mina beside her. She must felt uncomfortable too.

 

“Well, we wanted to surprise you. We don’t expect that you were… erm… you know…”

 

“The hell, Jeongyeon. We’re not—“

 

“Hey, no cursing, Momo.” Nayeon cut her off. She looked over to Mina and smiled. “So, you’re Momo’s wife?”

 

Mina shyly nodded. She barely know them. “Yes. I’m Myoui Mina.”

 

“I know. I really like all the collection from your brand.” Nayeon replied smilingly. “I’m Im Nayeon. I’m Momo’s friend, more like her older sister. You can call me unnie like Momo does.”

 

Mina smiled.

 

“While I’m Yoo Jeongyeon. Momo’s best friend ever. I know all her secrets.” The one with short hair said. “You can ask me anything about her.” She whispered to Mina.

 

“Yah, Yoo Jeongyeon.” Momo called. “By the way, she is Nayeon unnie’s girlfriend.

 

“Yeah, nice to meet you.” Mina said with a smile.

 

“I’m Minatozaki Sana. Glad that I met another Japanese friend here.” Sana said then. “And this little cutie pie here—“

 

“I’m not a pie, unnie.” The said girl cut. “Sorry. My name is Chou Tzuyu. Younger than Momo unnie by 3 years. I’m Sana unnie’s—“

 

“Wife.”

 

“… girlfriend. Sana unnie, we’re not married yet.”

 

Mina could only smiled. Momo’s friends seems nice and… weird. There’s no harm to befriend with them, right? And they seems funny too in Mina’s eyes.

 

#

 

All six of them settled at the dining table. Momo and Jeongyeon were in charge to cook them dinner. Nayeon kept saying she wanted to help but Jeongyeon didn’t allow her to. Nayeon barely can cook. She even holding the knife upside down. Since then, Jeongyeon banned her from entering the kitchen. As a result, Mina kept the other three company. She quickly couped with them well especially Nayeon.

 

And Mina learned that they missed another two friends, Jihyo and Chaeyoung because of work priority. Momo’s friends were sure a lot.

 

“Say Mina, don’t you have any friend in Korea?” Sana asked. Mina shook her head. Well, she just came back from US and didn’t even have a chance to make any friend yet. Sana said that it’s okay. Momo’s friends are her friends too. They even said that she could call them and hang out sometimes.

 

“Dinner’s ready.” Momo announced as she put the freshly cooked meal for a total of six of them. They ate and talked a lot. Only when it’s getting late, Momo’s friends excused themselves to their respective home.

 

“So, see you again, Mo. Nice to meet you, Mina.” They bid their good bye. Before they walked away, Nayeon whispered something to Momo. “She’s nice. Don’t hurt her.” Momo forced a smile.

 

#

 

A month passed and there’s nothing much happened between Momo and Mina. They may live together in one house, but they always had their own things to do, especially Momo. They barely talk and acted like a total stranger towards each other. And like any other night, Mina always saw Momo drinking at the balcony. This night was not an exception.

 

Mina always wondered after that why would Momo looked solemn in that every night. She looked like lost in her world, like so much are happening in her mind. Mina would never ask her. But that night, Mina decided to ask her.

 

“Momo?”

 

Momo turned and saw Mina looking at her. She then continue to look at the night sky. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I was about to ask you. This is not the first time, I always saw you drinking here every night. Why?” Mina asked. They may be awkward, but Mina was not that heartless. Maybe she could help Momo with something.

 

“None of your business.” Momo replied. Her voice was calm, yet cold. Mina was a little bit taken aback by Momo’s answer. She felt this unfamiliar stinging in her chest.

 

“You have problems? Can I help you?”

 

Momo put down the wine glass and looked at Mina. The balcony was quite dark but Mina could see Momo clearly uner the moonlight. She saw the look in Momo’s eyes. Emotionless.

 

“Mina. We barely know each other. So, mind your own business.” Momo said. “I wanna sleep.” She walked pass Mina and went inseide her room. Mina just shrugged it off, although she was slightly hurt by her words.

 

The next day was weekend. Momo was supposed to stay at home like any other weekend but this morning, Momo was looking perfect in suit, raising up Mina’s curiosity.

 

“Where are you going? I thought there’s no work at weekend?” Mina who was just woke up with messy hair, bumped on Momo as she opened her door. Momo was fixing her blazer at that time.

 

“Somewhere. Don’t bother me.” She said. “By the way, I’ll be returning home late.”

 

Mina nodded. She won’t bother to ask her again. It was clearly that Momo didn’t want nbe bothered this morning. Yesterday event was still fresh in her mind. And just like that, Momo left the apartment.

 

#

 

There’s nothing much Mina could do at home. She was bored. All the thing she do was only watching TV and ordered take out for lunch at dinner. She didn’t have a mood to hang out anyway. The clock strucked to 10 pm. Momo is still not home yet. When Mina was lazying around on the couch, her eyes caught the door of the room at the end of the hallway.

 

Mina wondered why Momo didn’t say a thing about the room. She couldn’t help with her curiosity and reached for the room door knob.

 

CLICK!

 

She pushed the door open, sliding her slim body while closing the door behind her. To her surprise, the room was well decorated with vintage decoration, giving this classy vibes to Mina. There was a grand chandelier hanging at the center of the room ceiling. Mina searched for the switch and and switched it on. The room was surprisingly looking big when the light reached to every corner of the room.

 

There were also some books arranged neatly on the shelves. By the shelves was a cozy couch and a small table beside it. Mina went further in the room.

 

“This room is beautiful. Why I never see Momo enter this room?” She asked herself. Her finger tips were running through the dusty books on shelves. Mina also noticed that some things in the room was covered by white cloth. This getting her more curious.

 

She walked towards the center of the room. There was something caught her eyes. Out of the things in the room, this one thing was suspicious in Mina’s eyes. Slowly, she brought her hand up and removed the white cloth on the thing. Much to her shock, it was a portrait of an unknown girl. Her fingers tracing on the painted canvas.

 

“Who is she?” She asked to no one. Maybe only Momo know her. Mina was too mesmerizing by the portrait that she didn’t notice that someone was walking towards her.

 

#

 

Momo was home and tired. Her body smelled like alcohol but she won’t bothered by that. She’s not drunk, but not sober too. She’s got a little bit tipsy. She looked on the couch at the living room but noticed that no one was there. The TV was still on. Momo sighed, and switched off the TV.

 

“She’s wasting the electricity.” She mumbled. “Ah, my head.” Her head was throbbing pain, maybe the effect of the alcohol. Rather than finding Mina and give her a good speech, she went to her room. But to her dismay, she saw the room by the end of the hallway was bright and the door was slightly ajar. This caught her attention.

 

“No way,”

 

Releasing her grip on her room door knob, she rushed to the said room. She pushed to door open, only to see Mina was standing in front of the thing she wanted to hide the most. She walked towards her with gritted teeth.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

#

 

Mina felt her body was forcefully turned around by someone. She yelped due to her shocked, but later retreated as she realised it was Momo who had her hand grabbing on her shoulder.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Mina was froze by the spot. Cat got her tongue, she didn’t know what to say. The look in Momo’s eyes were scary and plus, she smelled like alcohol.

 

“Y-You’re home,” Mina didn’t know why the hell she was stuttering. Maybe because Momo was too cold with her. She barely felt the chill coming from the latter’s glare on her. She seems mad, at the same time looking hurtful. Momo’s grip on her shoulder tightened.

 

“I asked you, what are you doing here?” Her teeth gritted tightly. Mina winced at the pain that caused by Momo.

 

“M-Momo, it’s hurt…”

 

“Didn’t I warned you to not enter this room?” Momo didn’t released the grip and tightened it instead. Mina groaned, feeling the pain getting stronger. Momo was sure mad. She tried to pry her hands off her shoulder but failed.

 

"Why are you doing this to me?!" Mina shouted. Her face was turning red, so does Momo. She was not in a right state.

 

“I told you don’t enter this room! Why the hell you are here?!” Momo replied with a slightly higher tone than Mina. Mina was taken aback. She felt herself being thrown by Momo. It’s a good thing that she didn’t fell on the floor.

 

Just what’s wrong with her?

 

“What’s wrong with you?! Just what with this room?! It’s not a big deal that I entered this room!” Mina said. She was angry too. Momo’s reaction was unacceptable.

 

“Get out.”

 

“Hey, I’m talking to—“

 

“GET OUT!!!”

 

Mina was truly taken aback by Momo’s sudden outburst. Without waiting another shout, Mina decided to walk out the room. A tear unconsciously rolled down her smooth cheek. “Why the heck I’m crying for that ruthless person!” She scolded herself and entered her room.

 

Meanwhile Momo, she was mentally broke down. Her knees felt weak all of sudden and she felt to the ground. Tears crazily escaped her eyes, like a waterfall. Momo was heart broken. Her shoulder shaking as she tried her best to not cry.

 

As she made herself stand, Momo couldn’t control her feeling. This day had been hard for her and when she finally can shooed the thought off her mind, this happened. Momo grabbed to whatever in her vision and relentlessly threw it to the wall. The sound of broken vase echoed in the house. Not just the vase, there’s also some other things that be Momo’s victim. Momo shouted to lighten the burden off her chest. Then, her eyes caught the very familiar portrait of the girl she once loved so much.

 

With her weak legs, Momo managed to walk towards the portrait, tracing her fingers on the paint. Tears kept streaming down on her cheeks.

 

“Dahyun-ah…”