[R] Beauty Or A Beast

◉Omelas◉ - Review & Proofread Shop | CLOSED |
 

Taemeilin_

aff profile

Link to the Story

Genres*

No. of Chapters*

Category*

Questions? Don't
hesitate to send
me a PM!

 
 
 

B

Balanced.

— OMELAS

Title

The title for me is just average and simple, but maybe not enough to be clicked on by nitpicky readers. It's a bit interesting yet predictable, since that you can tell by the title that the story will be based on the Beauty & The Beast and that the best, this time, is a female. Predictable, yet interesting. I look forward to seeing the plot.

Description / Foreword

The description, to be honest, is a little bit short and I feel like it's missing something. It doesn't reveal any of the key plot points at all but instead foreshadows the ending which is not a very effective way to reel in readers. I mean, as a reader, I would think "Oh, that's the ending right there; why would I need to read it?"

One of the most effective ways to write a description is to include the setting, the conflict and optionally, the characters.

Or if all else fails, a poem or a snippet should do good as a description.

On the other hand, the foreword is okay. I have no complaints towards the foreword.

Appearance

Kudos for setting the mood of the story perfectly. The background and the poster's color scheme compliment each other and the story. The font size and style are readable both in computer and mobile as well.

Characters

The characters' behavior and backgrounds were established perfectly and logically. However, I find it a little bit unrealistic that Hoseok would still chase after Chiyeon. It would have been more realistic if he withdraws from Chiyeon (and thinks about what had he done for her to shy away from him) after months of rejection, and then come back to her once he saw her true form, truly realizing and understanding his feelings for her. Despite the intense feeling of love towards a person, no one would be always and forever chase that person— there needs to have some kind of contemplation like should I continue doing this? Otherwise I find this a romance cliche in your story.

Though there is a little bit of character relationship development between Hoseok and Yoo, it was pretty crammed and made short; even if the reason they fell for each other is because of love. I also find some scenes were the characters lacked in acting. For example, in the scene where Hoseok saw Chiyeon in her dark angel form, there was no hint of surprise, or shock.

Another scene is when they are sittig beside the river after the incident. Hoseok could've thought that ah, this might be the reason why she shied awya from me, therefore deepening the character relationship and having more impact to the audience. Other than that I have no more complaints.

Plot

I was so damn wrong!

I had expected that the beast would be a literal beast, like the beast from the Beauty & The Beast but I was so wrong. I just love the angel concepts in the story! Allusion towards from Pandora and the Paradoxical situations (e.g. Yoo is pure but hides a dark secret) are in play and I love those two concepts, since it has been a while that I've read such a good story with those concepts.

You have made a good story beginning, seeing that you first introduced the conflict then revealed the crucial plot points. The story ending is also satisfying. I find no plotholes in the story. There were problems with the flow of the story, and I mentioned them in the Characters above. The setting of the story was clearly described.

Grammar

On average, I find 31+ grammatical errors.

Here are some that I picked up:

• Missing commas.
• ncorrect usage of to
• Unnecessary comma usage (...as she pushed back a lock of baby hairs, with her slender fingers)
• Incorrect / weak adjectives (e.g. highly ranked should be high-ranking)
• Weak word usage (e.g. passing should be replaced by death since this is Angst after all)
• Missing articles. (The)
• Missing adverbs. (That)
• Unnecessary adverbs (...to befriend the townspeople of different status, regardless)
• Missing prepositions (All she saw in herself...)
• Incorrect usage of punctuations


Wrong: ...that silently followed them - Hoseok.
Either: ...that silently followed them— Hoseok
...that silently followed them; Hosoek.


• Missing dashes (pink tinged should be pink- tinged & dark blue speckled should be dark blue- speckled)
• Incorrect adjective usage


Wrong: ...ran towards her in excite
Right: ...ran towards her in excitement.

Writing Style

The way you write sentences is sometimes lengthy and can be confusing to non-native English speakers. There are also some redundant and awkward sentences too... but other than that, the way you described the environment around the characters is good. The characters' dialogue feels like they are really from the medieval era (due to their formal-like speech) so kudos!

Personal Satisfaction

Personally, I love angel concepts or anything that has to do with Fantasy, so I greatly enjoyed the story. This is the best, if not, one of the best J-Hope fanfics I've ever read. He's just so underrated :(

Comments / Advice

You just need to work on the character development, character emtion portrayal and the grammar :) I also advice you to proofread your story to correct all grammatical errors which I would be happy to do! I only do it for 5 KPs. Please mention in your comment if you are interested in proofreading!

Rubrics & The scores

Title

8

Description / Foreword

17

Appearance

5

Characters

16

Plot

18

Grammar

5

Writing Style

8

Personal Satisfaction

5

Total

82

Reviewed By: _MISS_RIGHT_

Remember to credit the shop by putting the shop's banner & link. You have approximately 48 hours to credit or else you will get blacklisted. Thank you for requesting at my shop! If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to PM me.