chapter 2

Connected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three weeks and a half. It was the time until the application for the college Yewon wanted opened. Thus, she had some free time until then.

 

Thanking God, she was so grateful for everything. The college was only three bus stops from Lee family's home; Yewon should be calling it her home—Grandma insisted on it, clearly deciding that the youngest of the Kim family was one of her own. It was a strategic place. She befriended all the neighbors in the area just after few days, except that Vernon guy whom she yet to meet again (thanks God!).

 

"Yewonie, what time will you be home today?" Grandpa asked her, he was cutting the carrot skillfully.

 

Yewon hummed before answering: "I don't know, Grandpa. Maybe late, since Yeri wants me to accompany her buying some clothes later."

 

To use her free time, Yewon decided to work part time in a small cafe across the river. There, she met with new friends, one of them was Yeri—actual name Kim Yerim—who was the daughter of the owner's. They hit it off pretty well. Every day, other than Sunday in which she had the day off, she worked from ten until four in the afternoon.

 

Yewon stirred the broth she cooked. The two currently cooked the menu for breakfast which was vegetable soup. "Why Grandpa? Do you need me going home earlier?"

 

Grandpa seemed brighter when he add the carrots inside the broth, pleased to hear Yewon mentioned home. "No. We are going to Ong family's house for a meeting. They will marry their daughter and the neighbors are to help with the preparation. It will end quite late because we will be discussing many things."

 

Yewon tried to remember which one of the neighbors was Ong family. "Ah, is the house with blue paint Ong family's house, Grandpa?"

 

Grandpa added more vegetables inside the broth as he hummed affirmatively. "Yewon-ah, please prepare the table, the soup will be ready in a bit. And don't forget to call Grandma in."

 

"Ne."

 

She left Grandpa to take care of the rest as she put plates and glasses on the table. The rice was ready, as well as the other side dishes. After that, she went to the front yard where Grandma was watering the flowers.

 

The house had big gardens. The front was filled with various flowers, all planted by Gandma's own hands. She especially loved the lilies. On the side, the one right in front of Yewon's room was for ponds. A kaki tree was on the corner, looked healthy. And on the back, there were vegetables. Onions, chilli, tomatoes, and more were planted by Grandpa. Both elders liked gardening, only that their passion differed, while Grandma liked flowers, Grandpa liked vegetables.

 

Both elders took great proud over their plants. They took great cares for them to grow that healthily. Yewon wondered how they had wide space for a house in the city. Apparently, it was a space for two houses, thus making them have bigger space than the other houses.

 

Yewon called for Grandma amidst the sound of water hitting the leaves. "Grandma, let's have breakfast together."

 

"Oh, you are done cooking?" Grandma asked, the sound of water had stopped, followed by the sound of steps.

 

"Grandma! You're wet!" Yewon shrieked when she saw Grandma's wet clothes. She quickly retrieved a towel. "What happened? Why are you wet?"

 

"Calm, Yewon-ah, it's alright," she chuckled.

 

"You have to dry up quickly, Grandma. You might catch cold!"

 

"Ahahah. Our Yewon is so cute. This wet is not a problem! I’m not easily catching cold you know! The tap for watering is broken again."

 

"Again?!"

 

"It's pretty usual occurrence. Don't sweat it."

 

Yewon pouted. Worry clearly edged in her eyes. "But you might catch cold. It's not good!"

 

Grandma laughed as she dried her clothes with the towel, Yewon helped her. "I'm sorry, Cute. Grandma will stay dry the next time."

 

"You promise?"

 

"I promise."

 

Yewon's smile warmed the old woman's heart. It was so bright that she felt like blinded.

 

 

"One red velvet ice and one tiramisu. Enjoy!" Yewon said as she put the ordered food in front of a glasses girl.

 

The cafe was not as crowded as the rush hour in the afternoon. At the time of school ended, so many students liked to drop by with their friends. The first time Yewon experienced it, she almost passed out in exhaustion. No time to rest for hours during the rush hours! But in the afternoon, it clearly decreased. The waitresses took turn delivering the orders from customers.

 

"Pssst, Umji-ah. Psssttt!" someone peeked behind the door to the kitchen.

 

Yewon's ears picked up the nickname. Since she began working, the others proposed nickname for her as it was a tradition for the girls. The others were using their nicknames when calling each other. It was because Yewon's answer when asked about the taste of the cakes in the cafe was thumbs-up that she was given Umji as nickname. Realizing it was her whom was called, she quickly approached her, Wendy, who was four years older. "Yes?"

 

"He is coming again!!" Wendy squealed.

 

Another head peeked above Wendy's head, Seulgi. "And he keeps staring at you!" she whispered, eyes twinkling in mischief, "with dreamy eyes!"

 

"Eh, who?" Yewon was confused. She turned her head around, sweeping the cafe with her stare. "Oh."

 

On the corner was a young boy whose stare clashed with Yewon's. Grinning, he quickly waved his arms at her. Yewon just smiled at him, waving back shyly—that seemed to make the boy's grin wider.

 

"Eh? Changsub-oppa is here again?" a girl asked as she brought out a tray of freshly baked buns.

 

Seulgi came out to help her. "Ne, Joy, your boy's hyung seems to like Umji!"

 

Joy gasped. "He did?!"

 

"Unnie!" Yewon yelped. Her face had turned bright hearing them talking as if she was not there.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter