chapter 1

Connected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon smiled brightly as she stared at her room with proud. What was left was to put her belongings in their respective places. She felt giddy to give the room her own touch, filling it to her taste.

 

After countless beggings to her parents, they finally gave the go for her to live by herself in the city, with so many list of advices (and not to forget the additional list given by her older siblings). A small room was rented by a pair of elders whose son was friend with her father.

 

Yewon had just graduated from senior high. And in order to pursue her dream to be news-anchor, she wanted to move to the city where the possibility is higher rather than to stay in her village; even more because the best school for the dream was in the city. Her mother (and sister and brother—and actually her father) were against it. In her brother's words: 'Yewonie can't move to the city until she becomes adult, like twenty or thirty more years!'

 

Her puppy teared eyes though, made her father her sole ally. Since she knew her father was really weak towards the youngest Kim's tears, she was using the weapon in its maximum function. And not to disappoint her expectation, three days later, he helped her to convince the rest of family about her moving to the Lee-ahjussi's parents' house. There was an unused room and it would be waste to let it stay unused, plus the additional company would please the two elders. And here she was.

 

"How is it, Yewon-ah? Have you finished?" from the door, an old woman asked her.

 

"Mrs Lee! I've finished! The room is quite spacious and I have the direct view of the ponds. Are you sure you don't mind giving me this room?"

 

Mrs Lee chuckled. "Nonsense! Of course you are getting this room. Ah, it's been long time since I see this room so organized like this. This is not as big as your room at home, I bet, but I hope this will be comfy.”

 

Indeed, the room was smaller than hers at home, but by the look of it, the recent graduate was so sure she would feel so comfortable staying there. It was more than enough.So, she shook her head. "No. It's okay! I already like the room! I will surely feel comfortable here. Thank you!”

 

Mrs Lee cooed. "You are so polite, Yewon-ah. I'm sure this house would be merrier with you here!”

 

"Oh, Yewon-ah, you have finished cleaning?" Mr Lee approached as he wiped his hands on his apron. "Right on time. Let's eat lunch first. I'll help you bring the unneeded boxes to the storage at the back after.”

 

“Ah? I forgot helping you cook!"

 

Mr Lee just waved his hands as he quickly went back to the kitchen.

 

Mrs Lee guided Yewon to the kitchen as she assured the girl: "Don't worry, my husband pretty much likes cooking. He didn't mind to cook more. He even cooked by himself when the neighbors are coming for the monthly meeting. I am not even allowed to step into the kitchen! Can you believe that?!"

 

“It's because you can't cook to save your life!" Mr Lee chirped as he set the table.

 

“Hey!"

 

Yewon laughed. The Lee family was so warm. She was yet to meet their son, but she was almost sure he was as warm as his parents. She was glad they were nice people, because she heard that in the city, nice people were rare to find in face with strangers. The next time she met him, she would say her gratitude.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter