Chapter 1

Picking At The Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Humans… they tend to miss what’s right in front of them,” the professor said.

I looked right at him. Usually this type of speech was accompanied by some kind of dramatic, unnoticeable element. But there wasn’t any. Nope. Grandpa Junmyeon only had a colorful jacket on. If nothing else, I noticed that. I also noticed his boxers and then, I noticed the loud al-

“Holy ,” I muttered, opening my eyes. I’m going to be late. It was my eight thirty alarm. The actual ringing clock that only rang when I was late and hadn’t already disabled it (most mornings). me. me. me. I was going to be late on the day of my thesis presentation. Why did I even go to sleep?

Usually, I loved staying awake and reading or blogging. Basically, avoiding my thesis paper. The last month had been my most disciplined. Since, a thesis paper was not something you could write in one night, I did what I call “the last night of the doctoral course” and slam dunked the last month. Woke up at four in the morning and worked like a dog till twelve at night, when I went to sleep. Yes, I nailed it. But, now, I was going to be late. me.

I ran out of my house in an untucked shirt, ped skirt and with my heels dangling from my mouth by their straps. My bag had my paper, my laptop and whatever the else I needed. And, one of my friends probably had makeup. I frowned at the mere thought of arriving at the university looking like trash today. I did it every day for the past four years. Today should have been different. me.

I could hear my cellphone ring and so I slammed the accelerator and then realized I hadn’t brushed my teeth. “Motherer,” I yelled as I swerved around some driver in front of me. I wasn’t too far from the University but my thesis was to be submitted in… ah, it was 9:23 now and I had about an hour. I was ed, ed, ed.

As I pulled into the parking lot outside my building I noticed Jinyoung standing there in his suit and loosened tie. He looked frustrated and when I emerged from the car, the expression changed to angry mode. Ding, ding, the ding. I looked at him and just shook my head before he could open his mouth. Jung Jinyoung, shut the up today.

“Put my shoes on for me,” I said, handing him the pair. I stood up on the leg that he bent down to do and I started to rebutton my shirt. I tucked it in and zipped up my skirt. Once he was all done, he began to comb my hair and tie it into a braid as I did the little make up required to make me look sane (read: A TON OF CONCEALER UNDER THE EYES). I, then, wore the coat the he was holding out, grabbed my bag and we started (almost) sprinting into the building.

“We can do this…”

“You can do this. I’m not a part of this. Exclude me,” he said, flicking my forehead.

“Hey, is this how you treat a friend, you jackass?”

“Yes.”

“Fine, whatever. yourself.”

“I always do.”

“What in the -?” I muttered, side eyeing him.

I grabbed my laptop and started to pull up the paper, as he started to read it to me from the hardcopy. I hopped and skipped and danced through the paper. Finally, when we were done, I realized it was utter bull and they would fail me.

“Why do I even try?” I groaned and hugged him.

“Because, you can and you’re great. Now, come on, get to the auditorium. You have seventeen and a half minutes. You need to greet all the senior professors. Strut that stuff and make them want to pass your paper.”

“ you.”

“Yes. Please do.”

-

I walked down the steps to the board that was standing up to greet me after the paper. I was just glad I didn’t sound like some moron when they started asking me questions. I wasn’t even sure I knew what I’d written but appare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter