Challenge

Scions of the Dusk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s P.O.V.  

 

Luhan could no longer understand Sehun anymore. Whatever his intentions were for joining the Wolf Hunter Club, it wasn’t making him feel any better for Sehun’s hostile behavior towards him. 

He couldn’t sleep well since the day Sehun suddenly decided to join him and the team with their rendezvous. He kept on shifting from different sides of his bed, wondering since when did Sehun became interested in hunting wolves or even, werewolves? Sehun wasn’t the type of person who even cared what a supernatural being is. 

“Did he perhaps hit his head somewhere?” He wondered out loud as he wrapped his arms around his Dumbo stuffed toy, the last gift his dad had given him. “I thought he didn’t believe in such creatures.” 

Luhan could still remember the first time he stepped foot at the Oh Family’s house. Sehun’s father was very sweet and accomodating. Chanyeol was an . Sehun just acted as if he didn’t recognize him anymore, albeit to Luhan, even though their time together was brief, that said memory was still vivid in his mind. 

The first time Luhan met Sehun was when he got lost in the woods and Sehun found him crying underneath the biggest tree. Sehun was still nicer as he comforted him, protected him, and led him back home. Luhan thought Sehun was a human GPS, but maybe he just memorized the way out of the woods. Luhan could still remember the boy’s warm embrace and how he managed to stop him from crying and made him believe that there was a light that could bring them back home. That the miracle tree wasn’t named a miracle tree for no reason. 

“Remember this, if you ever get lost again, just look for the tallest tree in here. It’ll lead you back home, safe and sound.” Sehun’s voice was sincerely sweet, his precious smile could stop time, and his touch was  warm and protective. 

“Why are you here?” Luhan asked. 

“I like this place. Whenever I have to run away from my parents,” the boy replied, “the woods is the only place I can think of. It’s the only place where nobody can bother me. It’s my hiding place.”   

“Am I not bothering you?” 

“No you’re not,” Sehun shook his head. “If you need a hiding place, come here with me.” 

Unfortunately, they never met again after that. Luhan found out that his father was brutally murdered by an animal, he stayed out from the world for a long time, and blamed himself continuously for the unfortunate events that happened to his family. 

Then a few years ago, his mother married Sehun’s father. He didn’t know if he was supposed to be glad he’d finally gotten close to his childhood hero through their parents.

After all, Sehun wasn’t the same person he met. 

“You’re Sehun, right?” Luhan approached him one time. At that time, he wanted nothing but a friend. And Sehun rejected him. “I’m Luhan. I don’t know if you remember but we met be-“ 

“This is my room,” was Sehun’s unfriendly response. “Get out.” 

Luhan could only wish they had become friends before, then maybe it wouldn’t be so hard to fit in with his new family. 

The next morning, he and Sehun bumped into each other on the way out of the house. They stared at each other for a while, and just when Luhan was about to say something, Sehun took off without a word. 

“Why does he have to act so high and mighty around me? Tsk,” grumbled Luhan.  When he ran outside to follow him and provoke him until he says something, Sehun was already gone. “Great. He left me behind again,” he muttered disappointedly. 

Upon arriving to school, Luhan was greeted by long-haired brunette whom he recognized as Sehun’s girlfriend, Shin Ari. The girl appeared frustrated and desperate as if she wanted to break Luhan into pieces. “Um... hi?” Said Luhan hesitantly. 

With her arms crossed and brow raised, Ari asked him difectly without hesitation.  “Are you gay?” 

Luhan froze for a second before he bursted out laughing out loud, catching everyone’s attention. “I’m sorry, what?” 

“Well, you have pink hair and a slim body. You’re hair is always on a ponytail and I hate the way you look at Sehun. If you think I’m too oblivious not too notice, you’re-“ if it wasn’t because of Chanyeol, Ari could’ve humiliated herself even more for attacking like that. 

After all, people were murmuring and spreading rumors about how desperate she was for Sehun to the point that she’d even accuse Sehun’s stepbrother for ruining their relationship. 

“Hey small bean,” said Chanyeol grimly as he suddenly gripped on Ari’s arm and dragged her away from the scene she made. “You’re coming with me,” was what he said when Ari insisted on letting her go. 

“I said let me go!” She screamed, and was eventually set free after they’d reached a quieter place. “How many times do I have to tell you?! Stop calling me small bean!!” She whined. 

“Until you stop whining,” replied Chanyeol frankly. “And until it sticks. Until then, you’re small bean.” 

She hissed. “Whatever, stop getting in my way.” She attempted to leave, but Chanyeol just grabbed her again by the wrist. 

“Stop hallucinating. I won’t let you accuse my family for being gay again,” he muttered. 

“Why?” She chuckled. “Because it’ll ruin your image too?” 

“Do you really think they’ll believe you? As far as I’m concerned, you’re nobody without Sehun. You’ll only embarrass yourself. I’m warning you. Just accept the fact that Sehun doesn’t like you anymore,” he said. 

And then, she suddenly started crying. Although not as loudly as she usually did when she was younger, Chanyeol still felt sorry for making her cry... just like he did when they were children. 

“Sehun doesn’t like you,” said the younger Chanyeol back when they were only ten years old. “Stop getting your hopes high, it’s annoying.” That time, Ari cried too. 

Chanyeol sighed in defeat. “Whatever,” was the last thing he said before leaving Ari all alone. 

“So what happened back there? Everyone was so shook you  guys suddenly took off like that,” Jin Guk pried, one of Chanyeol’s friends. 

“I made her cry,” Chanyeol replied as he nonchalantly in the school hallway.

“Whaaaaat? How? Why? I thought you were-“ 

“I was just telling her the truth. I didn’t actually think she’d cry over that. It’s not my fault she’s not over Sehun,” he said. 

“Heartless Chanyeol, as always. You act as if you’ve never been heartbroken before,”  his friend noted, and Chanyeol stopped on his tracks as if on cue. His eyes were fixed on a certain girl who couldn’t return his gaze, not even for a second. Krystal just walked past him as if he was invisible. 

That’s right, he’d been heartbroken before. Krystal wasn’t at fault though. He was just not strong enough to fight for her and keep her safe. He ended up abandoning her to protect her from himself. Because at that time, Chanyeol was no longer the Chanyeol she knew. Chanyeol could only imagine how hurt she must have felt back then... 

 

 

Meanwhile, Luhan had been wondering where Kris and Sehun went. They hadn’t been in class the whole morning and they were nowhere to find during lunch. Luhan had a bad feeling about it, so without a second thought, he headed to their camp to see for himself. Kris better not be up to something behind his back, he thought to himself. 

When Luhan just witnessed one of his biggest fears happen in front of his eyes, Luhan couldn’t stop the worry and anger that fueled in him. Kris had made his people fight against Sehun on the camp’s battlefield.

It wasn’t a fair fight. One against ten people. Sehun was bleeding and he was already struggling to get up. “Sehun!!” Luhan screamed and jumped into the battle field without the slightest delay. He sent a flying kick against the head of the man who was about to attack Sehun from behind. Then he sent a few punches at the others who dared hurt his stepbrother. 

Kris didn’t like what he was seeing. He didn’t want the fun to end yet, however, he also didn’t wan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter