The Colours in Her Hair

Pile of Rosé Ficlets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: Hey guys. A new one shot! This is quite a long one and I've had this in my drabble notes for a while. Atleast in regards to chaeng's hair. Haha i've been wanting to complete this ever since she came back with red hair. But after Jungkook dyed his too, that was all I needed to finish this.

Sorry if its messy, I have no exact point to the story but I manage to make it. Hope you enjoy it. 

-S

ps: Lotte does not deserve my girlsss ugh. still pissed.

 

When they first got to know one another, the first thing he noticed about her was how she, Chaeyoung, is really meticulous in taking care of her hair.

Well she must, especially when she colours them spontaneously whenever she likes it. And with whatever colour she found herself being attracted to. To Chaeyoung, her hair is really her crown. She has always work hard on it; for it to be not only healthy and strong, but also to be as her protection.

Among her peers, its known how she loves her hair and likes to play it with it, but only her closest of friends knows, that if she keeps on fiddling too much with it, she was probably anxious.

When he was first introduced to her by their mutual friend, Jimin, her hair had been a fiery blond, that one could consider it to be almost orange. The colour reminded him of a tangerine fruit; the sweet and sour taste; much like when he sees her with her sometimes active then suddenly passive antics. He was surprised at how their friendship gotten comfortable so quick, given the fact that he was not very good with communicating with the ladies.

 

Its not like he wasn't interested, in fact he remembered a few girls who confessed to him during his high school days. Back then, he rejected them at first sight. He was terrified of girls.

But then University started and he found out that he has got those testosterone hormone after all, as he finally realise the attraction and assets of the opposite . It was about time too as his childhood friend Yugyeom was becoming worried of him ever finding love.

The most prominent proof could be seen when a senior upperclass confessed her feelings to him, Jungkook had jumped into a relationship straight away. Of course who would resist a charming guy like him under the technical film course. He has some of the looks and was good in athletics so, it helped tremendously. The relationship did not last. But frankly, he did not expect it to either.

Thinking back on it now, Jungkook was glad that what he has with Chaeyoung, started with friendship first.

They had mutual friends and he can still remember when she transitioned the colour of her hair to a strawberry blond, a much softer colour than the one before; though he found himself taken aback at times.

Because how exactly does ones colour of hair influences ones personality. She looked too much like an angel that Taehyung, their other mutual friend, had caught him first hand; staring blatantly at her.

 

There was also a time in the park when Chaeyoung was telling a story about her upcoming musical project that she had desperately wanted him to hear about. But it all went through his mindless brain as the evening sun casted just the right amount of light at her hair that made her look ethereal.

She had to snapped her fingers a few times in front of him to get his attention back.

“Ya Jungkook, are you listening to me..?” Her eyes had glared to him just a bit and her lips were pouted in the cutest of pouts.

He shook his head out of his reverie, and “I am yeah,” he nodded a bit too vigorously, “so what was about your guitar..?”

He hoped to god he had gotten that right. He cared for her and she owns such a gentle heart that you cannot help but want to care for it. Although he had denied it to himself back then, he definitely remembered wanting to protect it. Blame her hair for being too perfect, and her face for being far too fitting with her hair colour up to a point that he cannot help his eyes from being fixed to her.

She gave out a huff, “I won’t continue if all you do is give me blank stares.”

She leaned back to rest her back onto the back rest. They were sitting on one of those benches at the park facing a small clearing nearby their campus field. She crosses her arms, “I need input please, Jungkookie.” as she turned her face to him. Emphasising on his nickname so that he would at least try to pay attention to her. He was already facing her, and was sitting down with one of his legs flexed on the bench. He put his fist to the side of his head to support while his arm was on the back rest.

“Okay, okay, I was a bit out of it just now.”

It was your fault anyway Chaeng..

Feeling bad that he was not being a good listener. “Continue please, I swear I’ll give you my full focus,” he put up one of his other hands up, like doing a mock oath.

Though she let out a grunt, she then started again with the whole story with Jungkook doing it better this time. Responding perfectly at the times she expected him to. But at the back of his mind he was still ever so subtly admiring his view. And it was obviously not of the park, he had something even better just sitting right beside him.

 

When they started their second semester of their second year in University, it also meant that it was after the Christmas break. None of them were prepared for the sight of Chaeyoung coming back with black hair. It was as if the colour itself was meant for her. Well it obviously was, because her natural hair colour is duh black. But she looked super intense that he had fought a great urge to push her hair back, when one of the strands had fallen down to curtain her face. He admitted to himself then how infatuated he was with her, because they were only conversing about their favourite winter song, but he paid such great attention to her that being in her presence made everything better.

Jimin and Taehyung’s teasing had gotten worse of course. Its like they cannot believe that he is not doing anything when it is apparent that he likes her. They seem to claim that she likes him too. Call it insecure but he felt like she was too good for him.

 

“She deserves the world,“ one time he confessed to Namjoon, the senior who had caught him wanting to catch a sight of Chaeyoung who was sitting at the opposite end from him in their Painting class.

Yes it was that ridiculous.

Namjoon was monitoring them with their own respective projects because their real Arts Teacher had gotten a sudden stomach illness. Also known as the teacher to put them at different ends of the class much to the disapproval from Jungkook. And since Namjoon was already in his final year and soon to be a graduate with the Dean’s List in his long list of achievements, he would have known the ground work of everything by now.

He knew Namjoon before hand, as he was the boyfriend of Jin, his senior in his own film course, so they were acquainted. But they became much closer especially after Namjoon had practically dragged the confession out of him.

Am I really that obvious then?

And to be perfectly honest, Jungkook didn’t mind that Namjoon knows about his ‘secret-not-so-secret’ one sided infatuation life. It is because Namjoon doesn’t judge his decision or action and that in itself made him trust the older guy.

 

“Hm, to be young and in love,” Namjoon said to him after all the confession. Both of them admiring the view of their University at the rooftop of the Arts Department many moments later.

“Just like you are, right now..?” Jungkook gently asked of the senior.

Namjoon gave out a quick laugh, “Haha hmm yeah, Jin and I, we’re both old souls,” as he smiled thinking about it.

“We just fit together so well that not being together seems to defy reality.” As he tried to explain.

Jungkook looked to him wonderingly, and said, “So how did you know..?”

Namjoon had a scrunch in his eyebrows then and seem to contemplate about the question. After a while, “I’m not too sure too, I guess you just know?” The older guy said.

But Namjoon still continued after he saw the posture of the younger guy deflate.

“Okay let me ask you a question. Who do you look for when you have a problem? Or wait, an easier one but might also be a complicated question;” the dimpled man let out a chuckle, “who do you look for even if there is a piece of new news? I’ll just say it simply Jungkook-ah, you look for them even when you have just the slightest thing to tell them. Because love is sharing and trusting. Plus many more wonderful things that takes time, as well as effort, to...” Namjoon’s voice continued giving him various insight on what or rather how love works in the human soul.

 

But the whole conversation with Namjoon played through his mind all day. Well he was definitely closer to Chaeyoung than any other girls ever that was obvious. He wanted to hope but he thinks its the same with her as well. They started being really close when they had classes together last semester, but now that they were finished, they were still hanging out with each other. And the extra art class that he took with her is actually just another excuse for him to spend time with her.

Maybe he does like her more than a friend but too afraid to confess because he is afraid of jeopardising the friendship that was there.

But still the question was there isn’t it?

He likes her, it was too obvious just like his friends had said, but was he in love with Chaeyoung?

And most importantly to him, did she even like him too?

 

Much to his own surprise, he did not need to wait long for his confirmation, when he was blasted with the news that Chaeyoung was going out with a guy named Min Yoongi or whatever. He heard that he was from another college from another town and got to knew him from the cinema after the guy had accidentally dropped his smoothie on her while on the way to go to the theatre itself.

Jungkook had to stopped himself from gagging as Jisoo and Lisa kept on giggling as they share the story with the rest of the gang. While Chaeyoung kept her head low, anxiously playing with her dark brown hair that she had dyed a week ago after Yong whatever asked her out.

 

To say Jungkook was jealous was an understatement.

He skipped or gave out excuses to not join the groups’ daily lunch. It was painfully obvious because it has always been the time when everyone seems to meet up cause it was the only time they were free together. Jimin and Taehyung gave load of advice to him; because finally after 3 years of knowing him, they could finally see how the man behind the strong front is actually shy as well as awkward.

Chaeyoung called him a couple of times too in the first week, but Jungkook had sat with Jin in the library just watching his phone lit up with Chaeyoung's name until it stopped ringing.

When Jin was done with tutoring him, he left Jungkook with 3 pats in the back, “Just don’t regret whatever you are planning to do okay, JK?” To which Jungkook just blankly stare at the far wall in front of him, he hardly even know as to what he is feeling right now anyway.

He was annoyed, mad and angry but he doesn’t understand why.

 

He straight up cancelled their usual meet up at the park too. Chaeyoung obviously expected it because that time has always been used, to talk about everything, and do just about anything they wanted. He avoided her for almost 2 weeks without a single word.

Lisa, Cheyoung's closest girl friend had even confronted him about it, cause it was apparent that Chaeyoung was hurt as well. But he just shrugged and put up a masked front once again.

So the next day at the group’s lunch, he decided to just show up. Maybe he had his hopes up, but he noticed how Chaeyoung’s body perked up when the group saw him walking to the gang’s usual space. She didn’t try to talk him and neither did he, but everybody seem to be happier that they both at least are trying to be present.

 

But boy was luck not on his side, as suddenly Chaeyoung got a call from Yoong whatever that he was at the front of the University gate to surprise her.

Jungkook casted his glance downwards with his own tongue prominently poking his own cheek. Jimin had his mouth gaping open after Chaeyoung finishes the call, probably thinking about Jungkook’s luck. When Chaeyoung excused herself to get Yoongi at the front gate, all of them looked to him, wanting to give him the message.

‘Please be patient,’ Jisoo directed it at him.

‘Yeah try at least for Chaeng,’ Lisa added.

‘Show her that you are better than this,’ Taehyung suddenly added, a rather adult and wise statement coming from the usually never serious man.

And of course he did exactly that. He took calming breathes in and out, when they finally saw Chaeyoung coming with her hands looped in her boyfriend’s arm. He thought that he was okay, just think of it like they were all hanging out. He can do this right now.

But right before they pass the walkway that leads to the group’s table, Yoong whatever decided that he wanted to put the strand of her brown hair back through the loop of her ears. With this incident, he was sure about this now too; he could not bear seeing other people touching her hair.

So he got out, hooked his bag on his shoulders and took his leave. The couple was already so close to the group that, they realise what happened.

Chaeyoung looked shocked and sullen. Yoongi asked, “What was that about?” but was met with a total silence from everyone. Which really should not have been the case given the fact how there were almost 6 people from the group there and they were not known to be quiet.

 

Jungkook was at his demo class later that evening when she confronted him. She stormed into the studio and yelled out his name, and to be honest it scared him a bit. Jungkook sensing Chaeyoung’s aura, led her into another empty studio just to not disturb the other students. They finally had their first heated argument.

Firstly she had asked him what was wrong with him. But something in the tone and gesture that he realises he actually misses, made him reply the other way around. He told her how he despises her and yelled at her with the intend of hurting her feelings, trying to mask his own intention which is to tell her how much he misses her and is hurting at the sight of her with another guy. He told things that he was not proud of at all.

She gave out a disappointed huff and ran out of the studio obviously trying to hold back her tears. He could not even remember what he said that seem to end their fight. All he could remember was breathing heavily and fuming.

 

When he was packing his bags 2 hours later, mind heavy and tired, he felt his regret and the degree of what he just did. It finally struck in his mind how Chaeyoung was never at fault anyway.

“Ugh!” He let out his frustrations at a soda can, kicking it through the empty park. It was 11pm at night but he was still at the campus field, too many thoughts jumbled up in his mind t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter