Part 2.

Stranded

 

Part 2.

 

Johnny found something useful. A stream of fresh water ran into the ocean and as Johnny backed off he could see a mountain rise somewhere in the middle of the island. Johnny walked over and tried to taste the water. Indeed it was fresh enough to drink. So he kneeled down to get some of it.

Ten noticed Johnny kneel down and immediately thought that he was crying and so he ran over to comfort him. “Johnny!” He called and took place beside the older. Johnny sat up straight and turned to look at Ten.

  “Why are you putting your arm around me?” He asked and Ten flinched away when it occurred to him that Johnny had been drinking from the stream.

  “It looked like you…” He silenced. “Is that clear water?” He exclaimed excitedly and tried to taste it.

Johnny nodded. “We can collect water from here. We can also use it to explore the jungle without getting lost.” He said and then noticed Ten’s silence. Johnny sighed. “What happened?”

Ten closed his eyes. “We didn’t think there would come any monkeys, you should’ve told us to stay, we couldn’t expect that any-”

Johnny raised a hand and pressed it to Ten’s mouth and he silenced. Johnny wasn’t looking at him anymore but at something behind him. “Lower your voice.” He whispered and narrowed his eyes at something. “If there are monkeys then there could be other animals… bigger animals.” He said and then looked back at Ten. He didn’t look mad.

The other looked at Johnny with a guilty look. “I’m sorry Johnny… Those damn monkeys managed to waste half of the bag of kimchi and break two beer bottles.”

Johnny sighed once again. “So there are two beer bottles, two water bottles and half a bag of kimchi left?” He recited and Ten nodded with a small whisper of ‘I’m really sorry.’

Johnny looked at the water. Then proceeded to splash some of it in Ten’s face. “You deserve it.” He said nonchalantly and began to walk back to where they were camping. Ten sat with widened eyes until he stood up and ran over to tackle Johnny. The two of them tumbled into the sand and Ten pinned Johnny’s wrists above his head.

  “Remember who’s the coolest, Johnny.” Ten said and Johnny just huffed.

  “Remember who’s the smartest, Chittaphon.” He reminded the other, looking into Ten’s brown eyes. The older leaned closer and Johnny tried to avoid having their faces too close. “Will you-”

  “Didn’t we agree for you to call me Ten?” He asked and Johnny put his face back so that their noses nearly touched.

  “Get off of me.” He demanded and Ten decided to obey and stood up, putting out a hand for Johnny to take. The younger turned around and got up on his own. “We will live with kimchi for today and then see if we can find anything edible in the very beginning of the jungle.”

  “Since when did you become the master of survival?”

Johnny didn’t answer for a moment. “I like to read survival-themed books.” He explained. “Don’t you read?”

Ten looked at Johnny with an offended expression. “Oh I do, but-”

  “Only romantic books or anything school-related, I do observe.” Johnny said and Ten kicked the other.

  “You’re weird and freaky and why the hell did we get stuck on an island together, I don’t understand.”

Johnny chuckled. “I find it quite entertaining.”

  “I’m glad Jaehyun’s here.” Ten said but the subject they were nearing made them quiet. If only the other three were there too, then the atmosphere wouldn’t be so grim.

Johnny remembered the thing he had seen out in the water. If it really was a body, then could Johnny just have left someone to die out there?

  “Ten.” Johnny said and turned to look for the same thing. “I’m pretty sure I saw something farther out.” He told the other honestly and Ten looked at him with a slight impressed expression.

  “Where?”

Johnny kept squinting at the ocean. “About here actually. I thought it was too far out and wanted to wait… but I have a bad feeling.”

Ten blinked. “You think it’s a person?”

Johnny only nodded with a grim expression. Ten stepped closer to the water and tried to get a good view of something. “I think I see it.” He then said.

  “Does it look like a person?” Johnny asked with a small voice and Ten looked over his shoulder at Johnny.

  “Don’t worry.” He told the other and smiled and Johnny kept a lookout while Ten trudged into the water. Ten came a little too far away than Johnny wanted and he walked into the water but stopped at knee-height.

  “Chitta- Ten not so far!” He yelled and the older boy stopped a little away from the thing they had seen.

  “Oh my god!” He cried out and began to swim faster. He grabbed the thing and raised it up a little. “Taeil no… no oh god no.”

Johnny decided that he had to swim out to check on it. Ten immediately yelled for the other to stay away. Johnny frowned and stopped at around chest height. “What is it, Ten?” He asked and Ten began to swim towards the shore.

  “Don’t look, Johnny, please don’t look!” He called as he kept swimming. Johnny backed out of the water and turned his back to the sea, because he knew he couldn’t take it. Ten had cried Taeil’s name. Ten was still crying as he appeared right behind Johnny.  “Don’t turn around…” He muttered and then walked past Johnny his shirt was oddly discolored by a red tint and Johnny gasped.

  “Ten don’t do this alone.” Johnny pleaded and walked forward to stop the smaller. He put a hand on Ten’s shoulder and looked at the other who was crying silently. “We should bury him.” He said and Ten nodded and wiped his nose before beginning to dig with his hands. Johnny helped, trying his best not to look back.

  “He must’ve gotten out of the cabin.” Ten said between sniffles. “He must’ve drowned.” Ten frowned. “Then… sharks got to him.”

  “Sharks?” Johnny said and looked around but Ten gripped Johnny’s head and stopped the taller. Johnny stared at Ten who had gripped onto Johnny’s hair in order to stop him. Ten blinked and released his grip before going back to digging.

  “It doesn’t have to be long. Just deep.” Ten told Johnny and he had a bad feeling in his stomach. The hole was the size of a child. Which meant Taeil had lost height… only his torso could fit in there.

 

 

Johnny let Ten drag Taeil into the hole and the other buried him as well, denying Johnny’s help.

  “You act tough but you’re so innocent.” He told the other. “I don’t want you to see something like this.”

  “You’re young too. You shouldn’t see it either.” Johnny argued and turned around, but luckily there was nothing to see but slight traces of red in the sand. Johnny felt like he had to throw up. Ten looked very pale too.

  “But I’m the one whose father is a mortician.” Ten reminded Johnny and the older nodded in defeat. He didn’t want to argue with Ten right now.

Ten walked towards the water and washed his shirt, hands and face. Johnny watched him and the now bright blue sky above them. Who would’ve thought this would be Taeil’s end? The always witty and cheerful boy.

Ten stood up and then released a cry that made a shiver run through Johnny. The taller did something he wouldn’t have normally done, but he knew it was what Ten and he himself needed. He walked forward and pulled the smaller into a tight embrace and Ten buried his face in Johnny’s shirt and cried.

It seemed like this trip would change them forever.

 

 

 

 

Johnny watched the sea. Ten had calmed down and for a moment they just stood there, embracing each other. Johnny felt common sense wash over him and he pushed Ten away so they stood in a safe distance. “Let’s go back.” He said without looking at the other and Ten nodded while wiping his eyes.

  “We got to get back home.” Ten said as they saw Jaehyun sit with his head between his knees. “I can’t die here.” Ten continued and ran a hand through his black hair. Johnny looked up at the sky, the day was only beginning.

  “For now, let’s survive, we have to stay on the beach if a rescue team will come.” Johnny glanced at the horizon but nothing seemed to have changed.

  “So we have to go into the forest to get food?” Ten asked and eyed the jungle when they had reached Jaehyun who glanced at them from time to time.

  “We have.” Johnny rubbed his stomach. “I’m so hungry.”

Jaehyun noticed Ten’s discolored shirt. He frowned. “Did something happen?”

Ten paled and Johnny immediately reached out a hand to hold Ten but it lingered right before touching the other.

  “We found fresh water.” Ten smiled a little. “And we found Taeil.” Ten blinked and turned away, Jaehyun looked at Johnny with a confused expression.

  “What’s left of him…” Johnny explained shortly and then walked over to the cooler.

  “We should make it safe so that we can leave it if necessary.” He said and Jaehyun nodded, but he looked speechless as if the grim realization of Taeil’s death hadn’t really been grasped yet.

  “I thought of ways.” Jaehyun forced the words out, trying to steady his voice. “The monkeys got it open by turning it over, but they’re too small to lift anything heavy. If we make it so that it cannot be pushed over, and place a heavy stone on top it’ll be safe.”

Johnny nodded. “Good thought.” He said and Jaehyun smiled at the compliment which he didn’t usually get from Johnny.

 

 

 

 

They dug a hole for the cooler, it would keep what was in it cool, and then they placed stones around it and one heavy on top, without breaking the lid. On the wall of the cliff Jaehyun wrote their names and then wrote a scheme for where they would count the days. Johnny liked it, and then they tried to search the beginning of the jungle.

 

 

They found coconuts in the palm trees and Ten tried to throw stones at them while Johnny and Jaehyun searched the bushes for anything edible. Johnny had gathered some leaves, sticks and some liana that could be used. Ten had gotten one coconut down but was still throwing rocks at the top of the tree while avoiding getting hit when it fell back down.

  “I found liana.” Johnny informed Ten who was panting and angrily cursing at the palm tree. The smaller turned around and then nodded.

  “Good job.” He said and picked up a rock before throwing it again but missing. “Oh for ’s sake!”

Johnny’s eyes widened. “Calm down Chittaphon, we don’t want you and the palm trees to fall out.”

Ten huffed. “Oh yeah? Well then you try to get those damn coconuts down!”

Johnny glanced up at the coconuts. “Yeah we need to find a better way.”

  “No !” Ten panted and grabbed the one coconut he had succeeded to get down. After a moment he looked around. “Where’s Jaehyun?” He asked and Johnny turned around.

  “He was looking at a bush right behind me.” Johnny said calmly. “Jaehyun!” He called but felt a small rising fear.

Immediately as he had called Jaehyun came walking in with a handful of berries. “These looks good, and they taste good too.”

Johnny frowned and dropped the sticks. “Let me see them.” He grabbed them and squeezed them into his palm. “Jaehyun I’m not sure if they’re edible.”

The boy froze. “I just ate one.”

Ten dropped the coconut, “then spit it out!”

  “I swallowed!”

  “Well haven’t you learned not to swallow?” Johnny asked with a cocked brow and the other two turned to him.

  “Not funny!” They yelled in unison.

Johnny shrugged. “Well then make him throw up.” He said and Ten and Jaehyun stared at him.

  “How?” Ten asked.

  “Well remember when you got hit in the guts by that red faced dude when we played football?” Johnny recalled. “You threw up.”

Ten nodded, he remembered. “Okay come here.” He said and Jaehyun looked like he’d rather not come closer. Johnny went to Jaehyun and held him still even though he knew the other was stronger than him. Ten walked forward and hit as hard as he could and Jaehyun tumbled over barfing up liquids and something reddish like the berries.

  “Let’s get you some water to rinse.” Johnny said and Ten supported Jaehyun while Johnny collected their findings. Jaehyun was coughing and groaning in pain.

 

 

 

 


  “You saved my life.” Jaehyun said after gulping down one water bottle. Ten and Johnny shared another.

  “Twice.” Johnny corrected him and Jaehyun grimaced. Johnny looked from Jaehyun to Ten. “And you guys still think I’m the least favorite member of the group?”

Ten smiled bashfully. “Have we ever?” He laughed and Johnny chuckled.

Jaehyun smiled truthfully. “I think you’re the reason we’re alive, Johnny.” He said and threw a small pebble in Johnny’s direction.

  “Finally some credit.” Johnny said and Ten hit the other. “I’ll do my best to get us all out of here. Even if your annoying asses will be a pain.”

Ten laughed and raised a hand, “I’m gonna kick your , I’m serious.”

  “Try me .” Johnny chuckled and Ten jumped on him, ruffling up Johnny’s hair and blowing in his face which the taller hated. Jaehyun laughed and proceeded to help Ten by holding Johnny’s arms down. “That’s not fair!” Johnny yelled and tried to blow back at Ten who avoided their lips touching by pulling back quickly, grimacing and placing a palm over Johnny’s face.

  “Not today, Prince Charming.”

  “Oh when has he ever been charming?” Jaehyun said with raised brows and Johnny writhed his wrists out of Jaehyun’s grasp and tackled Ten by using his own weight because Ten was much smaller than him. Jaehyun laughed and leaned back. The day was beginning to end.
Johnny stepped off Ten and dusted sand off himself. “We should try to get more coconuts down, but let’s get something to eat first.”

 

 

 

 

It was Jaehyun and Johnny who was set to do the task, since Ten’s loose wrists would never be able to throw the rock much far. After that comment from Johnny, Ten walked off with angry mutters and Jaehyun and Johnny chuckled.

 

For a moment they forgot the loss, but the thought came sneaking up on them and Jaehyun ended up throwing stones out of anger while Johnny collected the coconuts and left him to deal with his anger alone. Ten came back pulling huge branches after him with a lot of noises of struggle, and Johnny walked over to help him.

  “Let’s built a tent to protect us from the wind with these.” Johnny suggested to the other and Ten smiled at Johnny. Jaehyun tried to help even though he was still sniffling and together they figured out ways for big leaves to be bound to wood so that they worked as a shield. It took them at least 3 tries before they found a solution.

 

 

 

 

 

Johnny and Ten got a fire going while Jaehyun made sure the poles went deep enough into the sand so it wouldn’t fall.

  “Let’s built a big fire tomorrow.” Johnny said with a worried gaze sent in the way of the setting sun in front of them. Ten looked down at the coconut he was eating. Jaehyun eyed the water too.

  “Shouldn’t someone have come after us by now?” He asked and Johnny scowled.

  “They will come.” Ten reassured the two but Johnny stood.

  “I’ll get water.” He said and grabbed the bottles before walking in the direction of the fresh water. Ten sighed.

  “I’m worried too.” He said honestly and Jaehyun patted Ten’s back.

  “Let’s just be thankful for the fact that us three survived together. At least one of us weren’t caught here alone.”

Ten looked at Johnny’s retreating figure. “It’s too scary.” He whispered and Jaehyun silenced.

  “I wonder how Johnny is feeling. He does it so well.”

Ten smiled bitterly. “He’s worried too. He comes from a small town finally going to a public college and we drag him through this . You though Jaehyun, you are the youngest I should be the one figuring out ways for us to survive. I’m the one who knows how to survive ty situations.”

Jaehyun shook his head. “No, we’re together in this. None of us were prepared. Just be glad Johnny watches movies about surviving on deserted islands and actually focuses on how they do it.”

  “Didn’t he have a blog about reviewing movies and tv-series?” Ten recalled and Jaehyun frowned.

  “Yes he did.”

Ten looked in Johnny’s way. “Thank God he does that.”

 

 

 


Johnny came back with the water bottles and the walk had taken about 20 minutes and now the sun was glowing red right above the water. Ten put the bottles into the cooler and Johnny and Jaehyun both took place against the wall while Ten fell asleep lying near the fire and Johnny and Jaehyun watched the stars begin to twinkle upon the darkening sky.

  “You know…” Jaehyun began and Johnny hummed in response. “You know that I like- liked Taeyong, don’t you?” Johnny nodded and glanced at Jaehyun; the other had tears in his eyes and Johnny looked away again. “I was trying to get to him. To save him. The boat tumbled over, the mast broke.” Johnny frowned, but he remembered the sound of it. “I had him in my grasp. I tried to get to the surface but the boat was in the way and I swam. I wasn’t strong enough… Something pulled in him, the force of the waves tossed us around and I lost my grip.” Jaehyun cried and breathed in shakily. “When I reached the surface… I’m afraid he never did.”

Johnny reached out and took Jaehyun’s hand in his. When Jaehyun looked into Johnny’s eyes they both saw some lost honesty that none of them had ever shown each other. Johnny didn’t say anything, words weren’t needed.

Jaehyun continued to speak. “But I’m thankful to you Johnny. For saving me.”

Johnny nodded and gave Jaehyun a small smile. Then Johnny got up and went over to the pile of wood. He carefully brought it with him and avoided to disturb Ten’s sleep. He fed the sticks to the flames and Jaehyun turned his eyes to the darkness where he knew waves rolled in. Taeyong was out there.