Chapter 4

Halcyon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunchae guided Yejin to the sofa and rushed to get her a glass of water. “Yejin ah, are you okay?” She ran her hand up and down Yejin’s back in hopes of comforting her.

 

Yejin nodded while tipping back the cup, “I’m okay. Just a little surprised.”

 

Eunchae could see that her friend’s hands were trembling and her smile was filled with uncertainty. “That’s it.” She grabbed the phone from the sofa and clicked on the contacts that caused the uneasiness of her friend.

 

‘You son of a ! What you do you want?! Isn’t sending your invitation to your wedding enough?! She doesn’t want to have anything to do with y-- ’ Eunchae couldn’t continue her message when Yejin snatched the phone back.

 

“Yahyahyah! Eunchae ah! Are you crazy?! You were gonna send him this?! Are you out of your ing mind?!” Yejin’s tone was a mixed of shock and panic when she saw the half written message. She continued to delete the whole chunk of words.

 

“Oh, I could do worse. That guy stopped contacting you after he left you in this broken state. And what’s worse, those two fell in love and are getting hitched! And now you’re being tortured by the thoughts of ‘what ifs’ and regrets from ages ago. God damn it Yejin! You gotta wake the up and stop reminiscing about the past friendship you had. It’s gone! Time’s moved forward! People changed and moved on! Stop holding back! Stop saying you’re fine when clearly you’re not!” Eunchae panted after rapping it all in one breath.

 

Yejin suddenly bursted out laughing after getting shocked for a moment. “What?!” Eunchae demanded.

 

“Did you start drinking without me? It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this side of you!” Yejin continued laughing at the sudden outburst.

 

“Yah! You think I’m joking? Okay, maybe I did start a little without you..” Eunchae smacked her friend’s arm and looked away guiltily.

 

“That isn’t a little my dear friend.” Yejin’s laugh died down to a snicker when she spotted the opened bottle of wine.

 

“That’s your fault! You took too long so I started without you! And I was already pissed enough!” Eunchae huffed and crossed her arms defensively.

 

“I’m sorry alright? I had a long night last night. I was catching up on some lost sleep. I’m sorry, Forgive me? Pleeaassee?” Yejin pulled out the aegyo card again.

 

Eunchae looked at her friend in disgust and pushed her away, “Ugh, you know I can’t stand aegyo!”

 

“Pllleeeaassee~? Forgive me~?” Yejin was persistent and continue to flutter her eyes.

 

“Fine! If it gets you to stop! Can we start drinking already?” Eunchae got up to move the things to coffee table in the living room.

 

“Of course my dear~” Yejin managed to sneak a kiss onto her friend’s cheek and chuckled at her response.

 

“Ugh, yuck!” Eunchae laughed while wiping the peck off her cheek.

 

 

 

“Ugh! I’m so pissed at him! He totally has another fling outside! I’m so done with him!” Eunchae complained and took another swig out of her wine glass. Her face was totally flushed. “Not to mention with all the load of work to do. Ugh, someone please throw me a float or something!”

 

Yejin could only giggle at her tipsy friend. Eunchae was one who could not hold her alcohol. Once she’s tipsy, she spills the beans of anything and everything. It was one of the few times where she would let her cheery front down to really let go. Sometimes it could be brutally hurtful, other times could be really worrisome, but most of all, it proves that she was comfortable with Yejin to show her pent-up emotions.

 

“Yeeejinnn ahhh~ What am I gonna do about him? I love him but he forgot I was meeting you today and he lashed out at me for not telling him..” Eunchae got all teary and down.

 

“Maybe he was just as stressed out too? I’m sure he didn’t mean too. Look he’s calling you right now.” Yejin pointed to her ringing phone.

 

“N-no! I’m not go-gonna answer! I-I’m do-done with him!” Eunchae hiccuped after every few words.

 

“What if he wanted to apologise to you? He is probably worried about you too.” Yejin swirled her red liquid in her wine glass. Eunchae brought 2 bottles of wine and they are into almost with the second one.

 

“It’s- his fault! I don’t- don’t care any-anymo-” Eunchae’s head fell onto her arm on the coffee table.

 

Yejin was only just getting tipsy, it was hard for her to get drunk. It normally happens quicker when she drinks emotionally or on an empty stomach. She smiled at her sleeping friend, “At least you have someone who worries and cares for you.”

 

The ringing phone got her attention again, it was Minjun. She reached out and slide to answer, “Oh My God. Thank god! You finally answered! Where are you? Are you safe? Are you with Yejin? Look I’m--”

 

“Hey Minjun, sorry to cut you off short. Your girl is safe at my house. She’s probably gonna crash at my place. I suggest you swing by tomorrow with flowers or something to surprise her, apologise and explain. Let her rant to you about her work stuff too.” Yejin interrupted him.

 

Minjun sighed in relief on the other end, “Thank god she’s with you. I wouldn’t know what to do if something were to happen to her. Thanks Yejin, I’ll swing by tmr then. Don’t drink too much.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Thanks for your concern, worrywort. See you tomorrow then.” Yejin smiled and hanged up. She took another swig and sighed. Her eyes caught sight of her phone and remembered about the two unopened voice mails. She reached of it and stared even more at the unlit screen of her phone.

 

She placed her glass down and unlocked her phone. Her stare continued once she got to the voice message page with two names staring back at her.

 

Jaebum (1)

Areum (1)

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter