Chapter 2

Halcyon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Yejin found herself curled up on her side on the sofa. Her head throbbing, reminding her not to drink all three bottles so quickly ever again. But she knows, she would never listen and repeat the same old mistake again. She groans as she sat up rubbing her temples to help ease the pain and it was obviously not working.

 

She got up and move to the next best thing that could help, a hot shower. Yejin shuffled her steps into the bathroom, she wished she didn’t have to go to work. At least not with a ing hangover.

 

“Ugh, hangovers…” Yejin mumbled while she got ready to head out the door. She had to slip on her shades as daylight was hurting her eyes and making the throbbing worse. She stopped by the nearest pharmacy to get a hangover drink, well, maybe two, or three. Who knows how many of them she would need to rely on to get through the day.

 

Once she stepped into her workplace, she was greeted by everyone. They were all sounding chirpy and it clearly does not go well with her numbing mind. She just waved them by as an acknowledgement on her way to her private office.

 

Just as she fell into her chair, a knock appeared on her frosted glass door. Yejin groaned and hissed at the thought of annoyance, “Come in.”

 

“I thought I had specifically told you to text me when you got home?!” Eunchae came in with two cups of freshly brewed coffee, setting one on to Yejin’s table.

 

“Thanks. I passed out before I could.” Yejin still rubbing at her temples.

 

Eunchae sat down in the opposite chair with an unimpressed look, “Clearly you passed out. How many bottles did you go through?”

 

“Just two and a half. Maybe three.” Yejin shrugged. “Ugh, do you think we have painkillers in the medicine cabinet? This is killing me.” She pointed to her forehead.

 

“That’s what you get when you drink emotionally my friend.” Eunchae placed a few tablets onto the desk and tipped her mug to . “Why did you even drink that much. More specifically, alone?” She questioned further.

 

“It felt like a good weather to drink, and so I did. Thanks.” Yejin defended herself with a weak excuse and knocked back two painkillers with ease.

 

Eunchae rolled her eyes and prepared to take her leave from the office, “Don’t forget about the meeting later, Ms Editor-in-Chief-boss.”

 

Yejin waved her away with a small smile forming on her face, “Yeah, Yeah. Alright. Wipe that smirk of your face, Ms Editor in Chief Choi Eunchae.”

 

Yejin glanced at the plate sitting on the front of her desk.

 

Editor in Chief Park Yejin

 

It took her and Eunchae 4 years to reach the position of Editor in Chief of a magazine company. Yejin was the Editor in Chief for the lifestyle section, Eunchae was for the entertainment news section. The two of them shared the same dream and were inseparable since college days. And look where they were now, having their dream job. Sure things were tough and it was a difficult path up, but they are sure glad they made it. They broke the record of being the youngest and quickest Editors in Chief. 

 

Yejin booted up her desktop, went through her email replying them, co-workers coming in and out of her office to have her look over the layout and the article. They had to submit the completed monthly magazine for a draft print by the end of the week, and it was already Wednesday.

 

She just went through her normal day with meetings, readings and researches for new ideas for her section. Before she knew it, the day ended but everyone was still in the office working on the articles.

 

She stretched and leaned back into her chair after another exhausting search for ideas. It was 9PM and Yejin has her stomach growling, “I’m hungry.”

 

She opened her blinds and saw her team working with stressed out looks on their faces. Yejin stepped out, leaned on the side of her office entrance and smiled, “Let’s go for dinner. My treat.”

 

Everyone broke into smiles and cheers while stretching to undo the knots in their neck and shoulders.

 

It was 4AM by the time Yejin got home. The others decided to stay and work overnight on the draft. It wasn't all that surprising, it was more like a norm in this mentally demanding job. She knew it better than anyone else. Well, afterall, she did made it through hell. She worked her off to climb the ladder of success. Her previous boss was demanding and strict that made her almost gave up. It was a cut-throat competition to be the very best. And now that she was the ‘boss’, she decided to be nicer to her team but yet, make it so that no one can come close to defeat her when it comes to work.

 

After washing up, Yejin climbed into bed with a messy bun and sunk into the fluffiness of her pillows. She fiddled with her phone for a bit before drifting off to a rest before the sun comes out.

 

 

“Jaebum ah! Let’s make a pact!” Yejin was balancing on a pavement beam while enjoying her popsicle.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter