Chapter 3

Halcyon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday came earlier than expected, the team was running around panicking, trying to finish the final touch ups before the submission of the draft. Maybe it was Yejin being too harsh on them when she decided to redo the arrangement a day before. She felt that the whole organisation of the section seems off, that she decided to change the layout of the articles. Of course she stuck around the whole night to finish the draft with them and submitted it promptly.

 

“Ugh, Finally we can all go home and rest.” Hyunjoo, one of Yejin’s designer on the team, slumped in his chair in exhaustion.

 

“Tell me about it. I haven’t been home for days. DAYS I tell you.” Yoojin, a young writer for the section, agreed while being slumped in the same position.

 

“Ahh, finally I can sleep on my bed and not in this stupid chair.” Minyoung, a freshly debut editor and writer, yawned.

 

“If only it wasn’t for the last minute change from the wi-- Ouch!” Hyomin, another editor, whispered with her hand cupping around .

 

Rye, Yejin’s second in charge of the team, her trusted right hand man, knuckled the younger on the head. “Yah, that’s rude. This is what you guys signed up for. Don’t complain. If you can’t handle the stress, the late hours and the competition, then maybe this isn’t the right place for you. Yejin has been working non stop as well. She didn’t abandon us to finish all the alone. She actually stayed even when she doesn’t have to.” He folded his arms in front of him and staring at each of them, guilty tripping them. One of Rye’s specialty. The team peered into the glass window of Yejin’s office, seeing her continuously typing away at her desk. “But damn, it feels good that we did it and it’s time to go home.” While breaking into a smile.

 

Everyone mumbled in agreement, “Meeting in 10 mins.” Yejin opened her door to announce. Their expressions changed from slight glee to doom and gloom again in that split second.

 

The team got up to the meeting room with their laptops and notebooks right after Yejin called for the meeting. “Let’s get to business shall we?” Yejin came in hurriedly and set her things at the head of the table. Some had their hands ready with their pen and notebooks, some had their fingers resting on the keys of their laptops, only Rye had his eyes closed and arms folded in front of him.

 

“We’ve got the theme for May’s issue. The theme is ‘Wedding’.”Yejin clicked her slides and tried her best not to show that the next few words would affect her. “We will be working with the entertainment section to cover Lee Areum’s Wedding ceremony. Let’s go through the things that I would like you guys to do. Rye and Minyoung, I want you guys to help me research more on this health supplement and how is Lee Areum keeping her shape in prep of the wedding. Hyunjoo, come up with a layout that suits the theme. Hyomin and Yoojin, I need a write up on her dress and her ceremony. Who designed it, who planned it, what can engaged couples do as alternatives to this ‘Dream’ wedding. And Rye, please help the kids.” Yejin pointed her pen at the older man in plea. The man could only nod in response.

 

The room was filled with typing sounds and slight mumbles of complains. “I would like to see your first sample by next Wednesday.” Yejin closed her laptop and gathered her stuff. Everyone did the same.

 

“Oh, and before I forget,” Everyone turned to face her, bracing themselves for more work to be piled on. “Everyone gets the rest of the day off. You are all free to go home now. And if the draft went smoothly, Monday’s dinner will be on me. Good work guys.” Yejin smiled as their faces lit up in joy at the news.

 

“Thank You Boss!” The team bowed in unison, some had slightly watery eyes while rushing up to her for a hug.

 

“Now get out of here and get rested! We still have many articles to come up with!” Yejin laughed and chased them out of the meeting room.

 

 

 

Yej

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter