Bonus Chapter: Mimo

Memory Lane: Maybe It's Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Almost there honey! Keep pushing!”

“The baby is almost out Mrs. Myoui! One more push! There we go! It’s a girl!”

My parents said my screams were so loud when I came out that they thought they were in for trouble when I was born. Yet, somehow I ended up like this, as quiet as a mouse. My parents keep telling me that I need to speak up louder that way people will know what I want to say. But that was the problem. It’s not that I’m not loud enough, it’s more like you’re just not listening. One day I was coming home from middle school, and I was a little late because my teacher was telling me about how great I did dancing for the school play “The Nutcracker” the previous week and showed me a program that sounded really interesting.

“I really think you have a talent for this Mina. If you start developing your skills now, there is no doubt in my mind that you can be a beautiful dancer in the future.”

The thought of that really peaked my interest. I always enjoyed dancing in my room and trying to copy what people were doing on shows or online, but I never thought about actually pursuing it. As soon as she finished explaining, I ran straight home to tell my parents about it, but they weren’t having it. I told them the reasons why I was late, and about the dance program, but all they were focused on was how I was late and that I was only in my first year of middle school and that I could’ve been hurt. They didn’t even take one look at the pamphlet my teacher gave me. I don’t think raising my volume would’ve affected the outcome of that day. In the end, I never went to that program. In all my life there have been only two people who ever really listened to what I have to say. The first is my childhood friend Momo. We met in kindergarten and we’ve been inseparable since. She loved dancing just as much as I did. Momo was more into hip hop and I was more of a ballet type of dancer, but that didn’t harm our friendship at all, as matter of fact we taught each other stuff we learned as we grew up. A while after that day arguing with my parents, Momo and I were walking around after school, and we saw a rhythmic gymnastics tournament going on at the gym. I heard rhythmic gymnastics had a lot of the same principles that ballet had, but of course they were different, after all gymnastics was a sport. I was intrigued nonetheless.

“Hey, do you want to check that out?” I said.

“What? Why?” Momo questioned, “I thought we were going to go eat?”

“Oh c’mon please? Look they’re selling nachos inside.” I say pointing at the sign.

“Ooh nachos!” She said sounding content.

As soon as I entered inside the gym, I could feel adrenaline rush throughout my body. I saw all the different girls dancing and throwing balls and batons in the air and catching them with zero effort, not even looking, and twirling around ribbons making them look like dragons soaring through the sky.

“I want to do this.”

“Hmm? Mwhat wash thaf?” Momo said with a mouthful of nachos.

“This, rhythmic gymnastics, I want to do this!” I said aloud.

“Woah Mina, you’re actually speaking at the average person’s volume. You really must be serious.” She teased as she wiped cheese off her face with a smile.

“Shut up, and yes I am serious.” I was determined to become a rhythmic gymnast.

After the competition ended, I went to our school’s coach and asked how I could join. He handed me an application and as soon as I went home, punctually this time around, I explained to my parents how I felt when I saw the performances at the gym, and how I wanted to be able to do the same. And for once in my life they actually really listened to me, and not only that, they let me join too. From that day forward rhythmic gymnastics was my only focus. Two years later, Momo and I were walking home together from our respective clubs, Momo in dance and me in rhythmic gymnastics.

“Mina! Let’s get ice cream! I’m hungry!” She exclaims.

“You’re always hungry Momo.” Then my own stomach growls, “Oh umm, but ice cream does sound pretty good.”

We walk over to the convenience store nearby and we both buy some vanilla ice cream cones.

“Momo slow down you’re going to get a brain-“

“AHHHH!”

“- freeze…”

Momo was older than I was, but sometimes she acts like a child and I can’t help but take care of her like she is one. After her brain freeze passes, she goes back to munching on the ice cream cone not having learned her lesson, but this time nothing happens thankfully.

“Gosh, Mina you eat so slow.”

“No, I eat at the speed of the average human being, you just eat way too fast. Look you can’t even keep track of where all the ice cream goes. You have some here dripping down your cheek, I’ll wipe it off.”

I move in closer to wipe off the ice cream and as soon as I do, I get this weird feeling coming from Momo. I look up and see her staring into my eyes. This was a strange feeling, which I don’t think I’ve ever felt before.

“Mina listen I think I…I think…I might…”

“What is it Momo? We’re best friends you can tell me anything.”

“Right…best friends! Oh of course we are!”

“Yes Momo best friends haha, so what were you saying?”

“Oh umm, I think I might still be craving another ice cream. Can we go back and get another?” She smiled faintly.

Momo seemed a little off that day, but I figured she was just really hungry. Every once in a while, that year things like that would happen again. Momo and I would get close, Momo would look like she had something to say, and then it would end up being about food. And every time that happened I would get this weird sensation, and whenever I asked Momo what was on her mind, and it always ended up being about food, for some reason I felt slightly disappointed. The next year, it was our first year of high school. I was extremely excited because I would be able to compete at gymnastic competitions at the national level now, that is if I was good enough. I was pretty confident in my skills at this point. I had been training for about three years now and I won quite a few medals back in middle school. But that was then, high school was supposed to be on a whole new level. Luckily, I still had Momo by my side to keep me company. I found it amazing how we’ve been able to stay together since kindergarten. Momo herself has been keeping up with her dancing, I would say she’s the best dancer in the state, but don’t take my word for it, all the medals and trophies she’s won herself can prove it. When we came into high school quite a few people knew about us already. Mostly because we’ve both been doing competitions since middle school and frankly we won most of them. Since we’ve always been together there was this rumor going around that we were the Dynamic Dancing Duo of the school, and we were only freshman. I entered a lot of competitions in my freshman year, purely out of excitement, but I didn’t expect high school studies to be so hard. Some competitions I would place first, but when school got rough there were times where I wouldn’t place at all. My grades where shaky too, it was really hard to go all in on both school and gymnastics, so I tried to slow down a bit after midterms. At the end of the school year I had one last competition, but it was right after finals. My parents said that if I fail any of my finals they would pull me out of the competition and possibly pull me out of rhythmic gymnastics in general. I didn’t want that so I put all my focus on the finals coming up. I aced them all. As soon as finals passed, I put in as much practice as I could. I felt confident that I was going to place first this time. Momo meanwhile also had a competition of her own. So we were both really busy and couldn’t hang out often. Coincidentally both our competitions were on the same day. So we promised each other that we would hang out together with our medals as soon as we won. The day of the competition I woke up to a text.

“My competition got moved a couple hours, so I’ll come by and cheer you on Mina! Good luck little penguin!”

Momo will be able to come see me? Now I really have to win. I take a deep breath and get ready for what lied ahead. I arrived at the venue with the team and this was probably the biggest gym I have ever been in. This was an important competition because first and second place qualified you for nationals. Of course, I was going for first place. As soon as we entered the gym, I see Cheng Xiao. We’ve been trading places between first and second the past few years. Well, except this year because of school. Oh, is she coming closer?

“Hey there Mina, are you prepared this time around? You barely placed third last time, and you didn’t even place at all the competition before that.”

“Just worry about yourself Cheng Xiao.”

“Hmph well I hope you are, I miss these things being actual contests.”

She walks away and I take another deep breath as we enter into the main stage. I sit down and listen to some music to calm my nerves. I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’ve won my fair share, but I still get nervous before every competition. I’ve never been able to compete on a national level, and to be able to on my first year of high school would be amazing. Suddenly, someone wraps their arms around my shoulders.

“Hey Mina! How you doing?”

I look over my shoulder to see who it is.

“Oh Momo, I’m so glad you’re here, I am so nervous right now. This is the biggest stage I have ever performed on and I really want to qualify for Nationals and I haven’t been doing well lately and-“

“Mina calm down. You’re putting way too much pressure on yourself. Why don’t you try simplifying things for a bit?”

“What? How do I do that?”

“Why don’t you do what I do? Right before I go on stage, I find someone cute watching in the stands, and I tell myself that nothing else matters, but I’m going to make them a fan of me. I dance for that person and nothing else matters. Then if at the end of my performance, I see that person smiling or clapping for me, then I’ve done my job.”

“Maybe I’ll try it, does it really work?”

“Yupp! You got this little penguin.”

“Thanks you big raccoon.”

“Ugh can you stop calling me a raccoon, it’s so not cute.”

“But you call me penguin all the time!”

“That’s because you actually look like a penguin! You even walk like one! I, on the other hand, look nothing like a raccoon!”

I grab my phone and show her reflection at her face.

“Oh…ok maybe a little.”

“Hey Mina, it’s time to gather up, sorry Momo you’re going to have to leave now.” My coach says.

“Alrighty then, hey Mina I’ll be cheering for you!”

“There’s no screams allowed in this gym, if you’re too loud they’ll kick you out.” My coach glares.

“Yeah yeah I get it.”

I smile as I watch Momo wave as she walks backwards towards the stands where the audience sits. The competition starts and I’m set to go last. Oh great. I sit and watch as I see great performances from people like Yuju and Yein. Soon enough it’s Cheng Xiao’s turn. She’s using the ball just like I am. This makes me worry even more. If she does really well, which I’m sure she will, people are going to have higher expectations of me when it’s my turn. I watch carefully, as she starts up her performance. I can’t help but leave my mouth wide open as she performs because she’s gotten even better than she was the last time we competed, and she won first. There was one move where she left the ball between her calf and her thigh and flipped over and it left the crowd in awe, including me. When she finished her performance the entire audience filled the gym with applause, and I was among them. How was I supposed to top that?

Next up, Mina Myoui. Once again, next up, Mina Myoui.

Oh god. My heart starts beating faster and faster. Then I remember what Momo told me earlier. I look into the stands to find someone cute.

“This is so stupid.” I thought to myself.

“You got this Mina!!”

I turn to the voice and its Momo screaming from the top bench in the crowd. She then ducks down and hides her face so security doesn’t see. I can’t help but giggle as I see my idiot friend making a fool of herself. As I keep looking in her direction I notice that Momo styled her hair different than usual, probably because she had her own competition later that day. She curled the ends of her hair and I enjoyed the way they bounced and swayed as she moved her head around looking to make sure security hasn’t seen her. Momo looked cute today.

“Maybe I’ll dance for Momo.”

I take another deep breath and head towards the stage. Earlier in the practice stage, I messed up and dropped the ball on my final move. I hope that doesn’t happen again. I shake my head and look at Momo. She smiles and I smile back at her.

“I’ll make Momo my fan today.”

The music starts and I begin my routine. Everything goes smoothly, and well to be honest I’m doing even better than when I practiced. The ball didn’t just feel like a prop I was using, at this moment it felt like the ball and I were the same. Now it was time for the final move where I throw the ball in the air and spin onto the floor and catch it, where I messed up earlier. I throw the ball into the air with no fear, spin onto the floor and extend my hands out, and the ball lands onto my hands and I set it down and strike a pose and smile. I did it. I really did it! I stand up and run to my coach and give him a high five. Then I look into the stands and look for Momo. I find her and she’s standing and clapping and screaming out my name. My heart begins to pound and I’m smiling from ear to ear.

It’s now time to announce the placements, everyone please be silent.

The moment of truth.

In the third place is…Yein Jung.

Applause arises for Yein as she takes the stage to accept her medal.

In second place and the first person to be sent to Nationals is…Mina Myoui.

Wait…second place? I head over to the stage and accept my medal and smile. If I’m second place that means…

Finally, for first place and the next person to be sent to Nationals is…Cheng Xiao.

Cheng Xiao comes to the stage and accepts her medal, along with a bouquet of flowers. After the photographers leave I shake Yein’s hand and she tells me to kill it at Nationals.

“Hey Mina.”

I turn around and Cheng Xiao has a smile on her face.

“You really did bring it this time. I was scared you were actually going to beat me. Who knows, maybe at Nationals you just might.”

“You watch Cheng Xiao, I’ll definitely get you at Nationals.”

We smile and shake each other’s hands and walk off the stage. I head into the tunnel and I hear someone running towards me screaming, and I already know who it is.

“MINAAA!!!! You were amazing! Those judges don’t know what they’re doing, you totally deserved first place!”

“Thanks Momo, but I know when I lost. Even I have to admit Cheng Xiao’s performance was brilliant. The only way I could’ve won if she made a mistake and she didn’t. But you know what? That’s ok, we both made it into Nationals and over there on an even bigger stage I’ll take her down.”

“Wow Mina, you have so much confidence! I like it haha. Did you do what I told you?”

“What do you mean?”

“To find someone cute and dance for them, did you find anybody?” she smirks.

“Yeah I did actually. She’s REALLY cute too.” I tease.

“Ohhh a she huh? Who was it? Do I know her?”

“I will never tell!” I scream as I run away.

“Hey! Mina! That’s not fair, I taught you the trick you should at least tell me who you used it on!”

“Nope! Never!”

“You’re at least going to go watch me later right!?”

“Of course! I’m going to get dressed then go watch your competition!”

“Ok! Let me know when you get there and I’ll go find you!”

We wave goodbye and I head towards the locker room to get dressed. After the bus drops us off back at school, I head over to my mom who’s waiting for me in her car.

“You were wonderful Mina! You deserved first place, I’m not just saying that as your mother but as your number one fan.” She says with a smile.

“I know mom, thank you. I made it to Nationals anyway. I’ll get the gold spot there, where it really matters.”

“Do you know when that is?”

“It’s in six months, so we have half a year to prepare our routines, which is good, I have to get a lot of practice in if I want to beat Cheng Xiao.”

“Well your father and I will be rooting for you all the way. By the way he says he’s sorry he couldn’t make this one, work called him in last minute.”

“Yeah it’s ok, I understand.”

“But I told him you made it to Nationals and he is so proud of you, he said he’ll make sure to attend that competition even if he loses his job.”

“Wow ok he doesn’t have to go that far haha.”

“Oh you know your father he likes to exaggerate. So, off to Momo’s competition?”

“Yes please!”

Momo’s competition was not on as big a scale as mine, but the venue was still pretty big. No one was going to go to Nationals or anything like that here, just a simple winner take all. My mom drops me off at the entrance as she goes to find parking. I run inside and text Momo that I’m here.

“Mina! Over here!”

I turn around and see Momo in a black crop top and jeans with a flannel at her waist. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail with only her bangs loose. She looked totally different from when she came to watch me.

“Why did you keep your bangs? You didn’t want to tie them up either? They won’t get in the way?”

“No, I’ll be fine. Besides I think I look mean without my bangs.”

“What do you mean by that!?” I laugh.

“Momo! The competition is about to start, c’mon!” shouts Momo’s instructor.

“Let’s go, I saved you a seat next to me backstage, my parents will text yours and they can sit together too.”

Momo grabs my hand and we head backstage.

“Are you sure I’m allowed back here?”

“Yeah of course, I made sure to ask beforehand. Look, our seats are right there.”

As soon as we sit down the lights dim in the auditorium and an announcer comes out and the spotlight shines on him.

“Welcome everyone! We have a wonderful show for you today with many wonderful dancers ready to compete for the top spot!”

“How many people are competing today?” I ask Momo.

“Five people are competing today.”

“Oh wow, when are you going up?”

“I’m up fourth I think.”

The announcer finishes up his opening statement and starts to introduce the first contestant.

“First up we have Seulgi Kang! Everyone give her a round of applause!”

I’ve been to many of Momo’s competitions before and Seulgi was always a constant presence. She was older than us so she had a lot more experience, and it showed in her performance. When Momo first beat her I was scared she would be offended, but she was very nice and humble and congratulated Momo. If there was anyone that I respected here it would definitely be Seulgi. Her performance today was amazing as usual, she showed a lot of improvement that even someone in a different field like me can see the work she put in. When the music ends everyone in the audience gives a loud applause.

“Wow what an amazing first performance! Let’s see if our next performer can top that!”

Wow, no pressure.

“Everyone give it up for Chungha Kim!”

Chungha? I don’t think I’ve ever seen her before at any of Momo’s other competitions.

“Is she new? I don’t recognize her.” I ask Momo.

“Yeah I’ve never seen her before either. This should be fun, it’s been a while since someone new came to compete.”

Chungha takes the stage with a smile, but as soon as the music turns out her expression changes in an instant. Her moves hit hard and each of them were precise and without a single flaw. I don’t know how to explain it, she just knew what she wanted to do and without a single hesitation she just did it. Her movements were very fluid and seamless. It was clear that Seulgi’s strong first performance didn’t faze her one bit. Before I knew it the music stops and I’m lost. It’s over already? I kind of wanted her to keep going.

“Chungha Kim everyone! Give her another round of applause! Simply stunning! Now for our third performer today, we have Sia Yoo!”

“I told you to just call me YooA!”

The audience laughs as the girl glares at the announcer.”

“Terribly sorry, may I present to you ladies and gentlemen YooA!”

YooA composes herself as she walks onto the stage. YooA’s way of dancing was very different from Seulgi and Chungha. YooA was all smiles and used that to her advantage. She winked and flipped her hair at all the guys in the audience and that definitely caught their attention. But she wasn’t just flirting, YooA had serious skill too. She moved in perfect synchronization with every beat, not even a millisecond off. Suddenly YooA focused her attention to the girls in the audience and you could even see and hear some of them swooning over her performance. Now that I think about it, as soon as it was over I actually think more girls were screaming than guys.

“Wow what a performance! Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?”

Man this announcer is cheesy.

“Now for our fourth performer, and returning champion, Momo Hirai!”

Finally it was Momo’s turn. She gets up from her seat and heads towards center stage. I wave my hands in the air and flail them around, I wanted to scream Momo’s name, but in all honesty I doubt I would’ve been loud enough, so I just kept flailing my arms. Suddenly, Momo turns in my direction and winks at me. My mind goes back to when Momo told her about the trick she does to calm her nerves. Is she going to dance for me? No way, right? I assure myself it wasn’t me, after all Momo and I are just friends. Although, I did choose to dance for her during my own performance. But, that was just a spur of the moment thing. Maybe it was the same for her? Before I can put any more thought into it the music starts and I revert my attention back to the stage. Momo gets into position and her facial expression changes with the music, almost similar to Chungha, except Momo didn’t change to a simple serious expression, but rather she changed her personality to suit the music playing. Momo has been like this ever since she started dancing. On a normal day, Momo is this hungry little goofball, but as soon as she stands on that stage and the music starts playing, she transforms into something different, yet she’s still Momo. Her moves in perfect sync with the music, her expressions affected everyone in the audience, including me, sometimes it felt as if she was staring only at me and I suddenly had this odd nostalgic feeling that I couldn’t quite pin down where I felt this before. I shake my head and focus back on Momo who is setting fire on the stage. The whole crowd screams at her every move. I knew how hard Momo worked for this performance, even though she’s the returning champ she didn’t slack off, she practiced every day as if she was coming back from a loss. Her performance ended and the audience cheers loud and gives her a standing ovation. I look to my left and see a girl biting her nails. Oh right there was one more contestant. Who made this arrangement that she had to go right after the reigning champion? In what world is that fair? Momo makes her way back to her seat after she bows in front of the audience. She high fives her instructor and sits down next to me.

“You did great! You were definitely the best performer today! Actually that might’ve been the best performance I’ve seen you do ever!”

“Thanks Mina, but that’s not true, I messed up a few times in the beginning. I just hope nobody noticed.”

“Well if you did, I know I didn’t notice anything, and I’ve watched you practice every day.”

“Remarkable performance! Nothing less from our returning champion! And now for our final performer of the night! Lalisa Manoban!”

“Just Lisa is fine, thank you.”

“Oh my mistake, Lisa it is! Everyone a quick round of applause for Lisa!”

This guy should really ask what the contestants want to be called before he introduces them, this is the second time today.

“Hey, do you know her? I don’t think I know her either.”

“Oh Lisa? Yeah I know her, she doesn’t compete often, but when she does she kills it. Being after the reigning champion won’t faze her one bit.”

“Really? I saw her biting her nails earlier, during your performance.”

“Oh that? Haha, that’s just a bad habit of hers.”

The music comes on and Lisa just bursts out on the stage. Was this really the same girl who was biting her nails earlier? She moves so quickly, yet so precise. She was moving with purpose and she had this, for lack of better word, swag about her. I regret thinking that Momo made her nervous, because she looked right at home on stage. I wonder, why she doesn’t compete that often?

“Why doesn’t she compete more often, she’s amazing!?”

“Apparently her parents are really strict. They call her house ‘The Dungeon’. She can only compete when her friends manage to sneak her out.”

Her parents prevent her from performing and she can still dance like that? Lisa is something else. Soon her performance ends and some of the audience give Lisa a standing ovation as well. She sure deserved it, I wish the rest of the audience stood up as well.

“Amazing! Another applause for Lisa everyone!”

This time all of the audience gave Lisa a standing ovation. Lisa had a huge smile on her face, she seemed so happy.

“Have the judges reached their decision? You have? Wonderful! Can I have the card now please? Ahh thank you. Now for third place!”

The room was silent, waiting for the first name to be called.

“Welcome back to the stage everyone, Chungha Kim!”

Chungha walks to the stage with a smile and waves to the audience who give her loud cheers.

“Now for second place, please clap for La…Lisa everyone!”

Lisa covers her face in shock as she heads up on stage. For someone who barely competes, due to strict parents, I’m sure she was overjoyed. She takes the second place trophy and waves it in the air and jumps around. Three other girls cheered louder than anyone else, I’m sure those were her friends that snuck her out here.

“And now for first place, ladies and gentleman for the second year in a row I present to you Momo Hirai!”

Momo gets up and has the biggest smile on her face. I think I see tears welling up in her eyes. She wipes them off and heads towards the stage. She grabs her trophy and photographers take pictures of the three as they hold their trophies in the air. I feel so happy for Momo that I’m flailing my arms in the air again. This time  I start screaming Momo’s name and she turns to me and smiles and shakes her trophy in the air. She actually heard me? Momo for some reason was always able to hear my voice no matter how loud it was or how low I spoke. Momo came running off the stage and ran straight to me. She jumps up into the air and I catch her and we spin around laughing.

“I did it Mina I did it!” her smile was so bright, I thought my heart was going to melt.

“Momo I’m so proud of you! I can’t believe you won this award, not once but twice!”

“Me neither! You know what this means right?”

“Sleep over at your house?” I say with a smile.

“Yupp!” She smiles back.

Later that day, my mom drops me off at Momo’s front door. I knock, but the door is open.

“I’m here!” I say poking my head out the door.

I see Momo running around getting stuff ready.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter