Bonus Chapter: Chaeyoung's Story

Memory Lane: Maybe It's Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Tzuyu what are you doing today? :)”

I sit down by my desk waiting for her to reply. I’m hoping she’s not busy, maybe I can see her and we can hang out and watch anime or something. I don’t know why, but I just really feel like seeing her today. We haven’t spent time together as just the two of us in such a long time. I think it might be since she asked me out in sophomore year. I still wonder if I chose the right person. I mean, I can’t help that my feelings for her have changed. Mina makes me feel special, and loved. Tzuyu used to make me feel that way, but when she ignored me and shut me off for no apparent reason my heart changed a little. One day, we're having a wonderful time in the park and then the next thing I know she drops me like a used toy she lost interest in. I just couldn't understand why. I mean yeah she apologized and explained herself and I forgave her, but it wasn’t the same anymore. And then Mina came along, and I can still remember the first time I saw her. It was the middle of sophomore year and Yeri and I decided to check out the dance competition at our high school. We sat down in the front row of the gymnasium and watched three dancers take the stage and introduce themselves. First off was a girl named Cheng Xiao, and second came a girl named Yuju, and then finally the girl that really caught my attention was Mina. At first I thought it was really funny that she was going to perform with a little ball. But as I saw her throw it in the air and watched her as she would catch it perfectly and maneuver it around flawlessly as if it was part of her body, I fell for her right there and I fell hard.

“This is just me admiring how talented she is.” I thought at first.

But then she made eye contact with me. As soon as she finished her performance she walked down from center stage and I swear she was staring at me on purpose. Her piercing eyes felt like she was penetrating my soul and it made my heart flutter in an instant. After that I knew I had to talk to her, I walked over to Mina after the competition was done and they had anounced that she won.

“Hi Mina, congratulations on the win, you were beautiful out there. You made a fan out of me.”

She had her hair tied up and instantly she takes out the hair tie and tosses it to the ground. Her shoulder length hair falls down and she opens her eyes and smirks.

“Oh really? That’s good because that’s what I was intending to do. I like to find a cute girl in the stands and tell myself that I’m dancing for her. This is the first time one actually came up to me though. What's your name?”

"Son Chaeyoung. So were you really dancing for me?"

"I always dance for the most beautiful girl in the room. After I saw you, it was easy to choose."

After that we kept talking for months, it reached the point where if I wasn't with Tzuyu I was with Mina. Then one day Mina asks me out. She bought me flowers and said that I inspire her to become a better dancer and that when she performs she's thinking of me and that pushes her to go beyond her limits. I said yes, I mean when someone tells you that you are that special to them, how can you say no? Then suddenly days later Tzuyu asks me out. My instant reaction was, “Finally!” but by then it was too late. I hung out with her that day with the intention of telling her about Mina and I. But how could I after she just asked me out? I wasn't expecting her to do that. After almost two years why was she doing this now? Why was she so late? I told her to give me some time to think, I needed time to figure out how to tell her about Mina. Weeks later I text her thinking that it might be easier if I just tell her this way. I ask her about Mina and it turns out she knows her. I tell her that Mina and I have been talking to each other and that I'm having fun. I tried to lead up to the point that I was dating her when she tells me a rumor about Mina and her best friend Momo who apparently were more than just friends. I was shocked that I had to find out about this through Tzuyu, so shocked that I forgot to tell her about Mina already being my girlfriend. I call Mina and confront her about Momo.

“Is it true? Have you and Momo really been more than just friends? Did you really do those things that they’re saying about you guys?”

There’s a silence on her end for a while, but she finally spoke up.

“Yes. It’s all true. But wait Chaeyoung! Ever since I met you I told Momo that I didn’t want to be with her anymore. We never were officially dating. She took it hard, but she understood that you make me happy. So please don’t be mad at her. I’m sorry I never told you about it before, but when I realized that you didn’t know about the rumors I couldn’t bring myself to tell you. I was afraid of what you would think of me.”

I didn’t expect her to be so open about it right away. I thought she would try to lie about it. Her honesty made me feel bad for thinking that she and Momo might be together behind my back, I thought that was why she didn’t tell me about them.

“Don’t worry, I’m glad you were honest with me. Thank you.”

After that, Mina and I spent the rest of summer practically inseparable. She wanted to prove to me that I was the only one for her, and that Momo was only a friend. I was so busy with Mina that once junior year began I remembered I never contacted Tzuyu again.

“She never asked for an answer so maybe she forgot.”, I foolishly told myself. Then I saw her in my science class.

“I’ll call her out and if she turns around then maybe everything will be fine…right?” I tried to convince myself.

I called her name and she turned around and she smiled. But it wasn’t the normal bright smile that I was used to seeing, maybe she’s just having a bad first day of school. Then I realized that maybe it’s because of me. I thought I heard Dahyun yell out Tzuyu’s name that morning but when I looked around nobody was there. Did she see Mina and I kiss this morning? I’ll tell her everything after class, I’ll give her a proper rejection, it’s what she deserves. The bell rings to signal the end of class and she practically sprinted out. Oh no, maybe she really is hurt. After that I could never bring myself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter