A Change of Heart

Long Lost Love

 

“Quick! In the closet!” Jeongmin’s voice is a low hiss as he stuffs you into the dark closet. You let out a muffled cry as he calls back to the person on the other side of the door. “One moment!”

 You hold your breath as he shuts the door and the darkness flushes over you. “Okay, come in!” You can’t see who it is in the room, but you hear them begin to speak. “Jeongmin! You look so nice in your suit.” You fight the urge to slam down the closet doors. Hyora.

Jeongmin doesn’t respond. “What, don’t I look nice? I know you’re not supposed to see the bride before the wedding, but I couldn’t resist.” Still no response. You smile to yourself, glad that Jeongmin was giving her the silent treatment. You hear a slight shuffling sound from outside the closet doors and Hyora’s voice falls to a murmur. You can’t hear what she says, but you can tell it makes Jeongmin mad when he finally speaks.

“Can you please leave? I need to change out of this.” Hyora huffs and you hear her footsteps slowly retreat. “Fine. I guess I’ll just have to see you later tonight.” You can practically hear the wink in her voice as you clench your fists, fingernails cutting through your skin. You finally hear the door click shut and Jeongmin waits for a few moments before he hurries to the closet. His fingers intertwine with yours as he pulls you out of the dark closet.

“I’m sorry for that.” His voice sounds sad. His eyes drift down to your hand and they widen as he takes in the sight of the tiny half moon cuts in your palm. “____, you can’t do that to yourself!” You blush and look away as your words spill out in a mumble. “I didn’t mean to.”

He kisses your palm softly and smiles at you, running his fingers through your hair. “Be more careful next time. I don’t like to see you hurt.” You smile back and tip your head into his palm. “Ready to get out of here?” You nod eagerly as he turns away to grab a few things.

“I just, uh, have to get changed.” He gestures to his suit and you blush, looking away. “Go ahead, I won’t peek!” He laughs and you hear him shuffle out of the clothes. You press your palm to your eyes, your blush only growing fiercer. Finally Jeongmin pries your hands from your face and he grins at your rosy cheeks. “Ready?”

You give him a short nod as he begins to slide the window open. Your eyes widen as you look down, seeing the drop. You glance back at him and he’s already slinging a leg out of the window. You begin to panic. “Uh, Jeongmin? Are you sure that’s safe?” He rolls his eyes playfully.

“I’ve done this a ton of times before. Don’t worry; if you’re scared, I’ll catch you.” He gives you a heart-melting smile and you can’t help but smile back. He disappears out the window and you peer down as he brushes himself off. He holds out his arms to you and you gulp.

“Jump!” He calls, and you close your eyes and leap. He catches you securely in his arms, only stumbling a tiny bit. You open your eyes and let out a breath; at least the worst part was over.

Or so you thought.

Jeongmin takes your hand and you begin to run, your footsteps matching each others as they pound against the grass. You reach the open gate and your face breaks out into a wide smile. However, it disappears when someone suddenly steps out from behind the gate.

“Going somewhere?” Hyora stands before you, still in her wedding dress, and crosses her arms over her chest. Jeongmin skids to a stop beside you and stares at her, openmouthed. “But you were just…I just…” Hyora laughs. “You thought you could just leave that easily? I could hear that thing shuffling around in your closet from a mile away.” You scowl at her and blush. Maybe you weren’t as careful as you thought…

Jeongmin sighs. “Just give it up Hyora. Move out of our way.” Hyora laughs, a cruel, icy sound. “You should speak to your wife a little kinder, thank you very much.”

“I think you should speak to my son a little kinder, Hyora.” You spin around in shock as Jeongmin’s mother stands behind you, her eyes looking tired. She plants her hands on her hips. “The wedding is off.”

Hyora gapes at her, her arms hanging uselessly at her sides. You can’t seem to think; what did this mean? Was Jeongmin really yours? Jeongmin’s father rubs his face tiredly. “You heard her. We’ve done enough damage to Jeongmin’s life, and it’s taken us this long to realize it. You’re only going to make things worse.” You can almost see the smoke pour from Hyora’s ears.

“You’re going to regret this!” Her voice comes out in a hiss. “You don’t know who you’ve messed with!” She spins around and shoves past his parents, exiting through the gate as she barks orders at her poor driver. You feel a pang of sympathy for the man before you turn back to face Jeongmin’s family.

His mother meets your eyes with a tired smile. “Hello again, _____. It’s been a while.” You nod unsurely, not positive of what would be right to say.

“We’re sorry we’ve been so ignorant. We were only thinking of ourselves, and not Jeongmin’s happiness. We know he really loves you, and you two deserve to be together. Don’t let us get between you.” His father’s words make you smile and you bow politely to them.

“Thank you very much. I will take care of your son; I love him very much as well.” You blush at your own words but you know it’s true. Jeongmin’s mother smiles as she nods. You turn to face Jeongmin who has a bubbly grin on his face as he gives a small bow to his parents.

“Thank you for finally understanding. I can’t say I forgive you already, but…thank you. Again.” They nod in unison at their son as he laces his fingers with yours. “Come on, _____. Let’s go home.”

Maybe there really was such a thing as a happy ending. 

________________________

aigoo we're reaching the end! one more chapter and this story will be done ^^ however, if you all enjoyed this one, i'm going to be posting a Myungsoo/L story soon, so make sure you check it out! thank you all so much for subscribing and reading :D