The Truth

Long Lost Love

 

Jeongmin stumbles into your bedroom sleepily and gives you a sheepish grin. “Aish, I slept for so long. What time is it?” You look up from the book you’re reading; though to be honest, not a word on the page had actually stuck in your head. You’ve been thinking way too much. You glance at the clock before responding. “It’s six o’clock.” Jeongmin rubs his forehead and yawns before flopping down next to you on the bed. You freeze but soften a moment after. This boy has already worked his way into your heart and you had only known him one day.

Despite the fact that he’s older than you, you can’t help but find him childlike as he rolls over on the bed, propping his head up on his hands. “Do you hate me?” The question shocks you and you can’t seem to find words to speak. “No…of course I don’t hate you. You just…confuse me. I mean, you’re still a stranger.” Jeongmin sighs and rests his head on your arm, his wavy curls tickling your skin. “I was hoping you’d remember, but I guess I have to tell you.”

You narrow your eyes at him and he offers a weak smile. “Tell me…what, exactly?” He sighs again and closes his eyes. “I’m not a stranger.”

You raise an eyebrow. “Um, you kind of are.” He shakes his head. “We may be strangers now, but we’ve met before. A long time ago. We were little kids.” You watch him curiously as his hands traces a circle on your wrist. He pouts a little before his eyes meet yours. “We were best friends.”

At first, your memory fails you. You consider the fact that he’s lying but then you find it, buried deep in the back of your mind; the memory of warm summer days spent on the swing set with a little boy by the name of Jeongmin. A little boy with dark wavy hair, an appreciation for skinship, and an adorable eye smile. You gasp slightly and he grins. “You remember!”

You frown a bit and trace his features with your eyes, studying what must be the truth. He doesn’t falter under your heavy gaze, just continues to smile. “You moved away after your parents died and came to live with your grandmother. You must have blocked everything from that time out; you were pretty devastated. I missed you so much. It wasn’t the same without my _____-ah.”

You find yourself blushing lightly. You remembered having a tiny crush on Jeongmin when you were a little girl; maybe that was to blame for your mix of emotions about the whole situation.

“But…are you here now? Can you tell me who They are?” He frowns and his gaze falters. “I…I ran away. I wanted to find you. I made up the They thing; though I guess you could consider Them as my parents, because they told me where you lived now, a long time ago.” He looks embarrassed. He sits up slowly and you furrow your eyebrows. “Jeongmin, do they know where you are?” He shakes his head. You sigh. “You know you have to go back. Or at least tell them.” Anger flashes darkly through his eyes and you’re taken back.

“No! I can’t do that. You don’t understand…” You stare at him in wonder. “What could they have possibly done to make you so angry?” He looks crestfallen and he suddenly hugs you tightly. You start to flinch but slowly sink into his arms, rubbing his back lightly. “They tried to arrange a marriage between me and some snob of a girl. But I loved you. I’ve always loved you. I was waiting for the day when I could find you again, and they tried to ruin that.” His shoulders heave as a small tear trickles down his cheek and you sit immobilized in shock. You didn’t understand what he had meant when he said I love you before.

But now it meant something entirely different.

He lifts his head and you reach up to wipe away the stray tears leaving salty tracks across his face. He catches your wrist and leans close to you, stopping just a hair from your lips. You make no move to push him away so he slowly closes the space between the two of you. His lips are gentle and sweet and they seem to say “I love you” with every movement.

Jeongmin breaks away from you and rests his head on your shoulder. His voice is muffled by the fabric of your t-shirt. “Please don’t make me go. I don’t care if you don’t love me back, just please don’t make me return to them and that horrible ‘wife’ they have planned for me.” You pull him closer against you and close your eyes.

“You can stay as long as you need. Jeongmin…I…please don’t cry anymore. I love you too.”