Final

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

Word Count: 2.4k+


Loving someone is not too hard. The way about how you feel like you are always in a wine-induced state and after a few little reflections you would find yourself wondering how’d you come to act in such a way that’s too far from your usual antics. It feels too foreign every time, treading on that once familiar path and seeing how things used to be when being in love.

It makes you do different things that you once thought that was out of your range and it does not feel foreign anymore, about how feeling the unfamiliarity thread through you is not so unwelcomed of a feeling anymore. What was unnatural would feel most natural, like puzzle pieces falling to where it should be.

Baekhyun was then again spacing out during their second period of class, his eyes boring a little too deep on someone’s back of head. There was a smile forcing its way on those thin lips as the head was obviously trying too hard to stay still, Baekhyun internally chuckling to his best friend’s drowsy state. No one needs to mention how Chanyeol is actually falling asleep on class again, not to mention its already a fact for Baekhyun.

Baekhyun does not need to be told twice to know what he feels.

A little humorous, yeah for laughing at his best friend’s state especially when their Biochemistry teach, Mr. Lee, threw a chalk to Chanyeol’s bobbing head, the latter startled that woke up his soul. The whole class chuckled, together with Chanyeol himself but behind everyone, the larger crowd always failed to notice that smile on Baekhyun’s lips.

A little humorous, yeah, but one could not deny the fondness on those pink lips when Baekhyun smiles. Especially when it’s directed towards one cute giant.

Maybe a little of love too…

Chanyeol suddenly throwing him a look perplexed Baekhyun for a moment, but immediately shot a grin, his heart thumping and hands reduced to fists underneath the desk. The usual butterflies were there, turning and doing summersaults inside his stomach and it feels wonderful yet not too uncomfortable. However it doubled, seeing how Chanyeol smiled. A little too wide and a little too goofy and his eye was twitching again but Baekhyun finds it cute, always. Even if Chanyeol himself thinks it was too weird that it happens.

“Pay attention, you stupid oaf.” Baekhyun jokingly mouthed to his best friend, the grin never disappearing on his lips.

“Don’t talk to me then.” The taller shot back, sticking out his tongue but never failing to smile and giggle silently when Baekhyun threw him a childish pout.

“Who was caught sleeping just now, huh?” Baekhyun said, words breathy and voice a little too loud, but that triumphant smile came back to him when Chanyeol was the one who pouted this time. “You look ugly.” Baekhyun added, chuckling.

They were too caught up in their own conversation, that even if they were distance apart they knew that communication will never be too hard for them. Nonetheless, they were still too engrossed, failing to notice Mr. Lee’s growing irritation due to their hushed chatters and chit-chats. Two flying chalks hit their head hard and they were locked out of class.

The duo found themselves standing right outside the class door, giving each other a glance before they doubled up in laughter.

This was a usual occurrence and they are used to it by now, but for a brief moment they were absorbed in their laughter, Chanyeol then again failed to notice Baekhyun’s look of fondness, how his laughter slowly died and became stare. There he stood, locking the world out of his view and seeing no one but his crazy best friend.

“Is there something on my face, Baek?” Chanyeol asked, eyes blinking, clueless and lost but there is a spark of smile in them, and Baekhyun falls for him again. In reply, the smaller simply shook his head, smiling.

There is, Yeol. Love.

“No, it’s nothing.”

 

 

 

Lunch time came, and the usual chatter noise of the cafeteria never dissipates as Baekhyun found himself a table. With his boxed lunch on hand, he immediately head towards the empty table, sitting alone and unpacking his lunch. The smell of food hit his senses, digging right away and minding no one as he craved to satisfy his hunger. Usually it would be five minutes into his meal when Chanyeol would bound to his side, but ten, fifteen minutes pass.

There were no traces of Chanyeol.

It was almost time for lunch to end, when he finds Chanyeol sitting with other set of people two tables across Baekhyun’s. The sight was not an unusual thing to behold, because between the two of them, it was a fact that Chanyeol is more sociable while Baekhyun contained himself with Jongdae (who is their childhood friend and studies in a different school) and of course, obviously, Park Chanyeol.

As he stood up, when his sight flutters to where Chanyeol was, what greeted him was something he was not exactly expecting. Baekhyun felt his heart fall, stomach twisting in an unfamiliar feeling of tightness.   

Across him, what he saw was Chanyeol kissing someone on the forehead.

Never mind the fact if it was a girl or a boy, but the sight made Baekhyun see red, his grip on the packed empty lunch box tightening then loosened. Slowly, he took steps back, failing to step properly and stumbling by the floor. It gathered the attention of everyone in the cafeteria and momentarily silencing everything due to the loudness of the chair’s cluttering.

Yet Baekhyun seemed not to mind, even failing to notice that he dropped his boxed lunch by the floor. It caught Chanyeol’s attention though and his eyes widen to see Baekhyun’s. It was staring straight through his, and it accompanied an emotion that Chanyeol failed to decipher.

Swiftly, Baekhyun stood up, leaving the mess and his lunch box by the cafeteria. He left the suffocating place, and even some pieces of his jealous heart was left stuck in the place.

 

 

 

That night was the first night they both failed to head home together. During Baekhyun’s walk towards his home, everything was in suffocating silence, the bothering feeling of dampness and jealousy pricking and poking him hard. Like if jealousy is personified, it would be laughing at him, sticking his nose to things he should not be sticking into and poking fun at Baekhyun. With growing tightness of grip towards his bag, Baekhyun ran, ran, and ran until he ran out of breath.

By the time he sees his house from afar, the stars had already risen high at the skies, the moon accompanying the heavenly celestials and Baekhyun fumed silently, envying the stars that it had its moon. Silently smacking himself for envying something inanimate, he stops by their lawn, opening the fence gate and the sight of Chanyeol by their front porch is definitely a surprise. Baekhyun stood dumbfounded for a moment, glad to see him yet his heart feeling things again that bothered him. Three, five seconds passed, the smaller is able to gather his thoughts and finally enter their front yard and walk past through the giant as if he was nothing.

About to grab the doorknob, a hand stopped him from doing so.

“Remind me if I am wrong but, I know your house is not in this direction.” Baekhyun deadpanned, his gaze focused solely on the door as if it was the most interesting thing to look at. Seriously, is being in love supposed to make him act this way?

“I am well aware of that Baek. I did not come here for that.” Chanyeol replied, sighing as he gripped Baekhyun’s wrist a little tighter, a comforting kind of grasp. “Look at me please?” the taller pleaded.

Baekhyun remained stubborn as he let his hand fall to his side and not looking at Chanyeol like the latter wished to. “Why would I? You are not my mom, why take orders from you?”

“Please?” Chanyeol asked again, more quiet this time and desperate that made Baekhyun think twice about being persistent. Few moments of silence passed and Baekhyun sighed, feeling defeat’s fang sinking into his as he slowly, gradually turned to look up to Chanyeol’s eyes.

It broke him to see those eyes speak of loneliness and a pinch of regret in them and Baekhyun wants to fully give in right now if this giant oaf would apologize.

“I’m sorry. If I have done something wrong that irritated you. I don’t know what I did but please forgive me? I can’t bear to see you like this. We did not even go home together and you know how we always do that.” Chanyeol said, pulling Baekhyun a little closer by the wrist and his grip growing soft and tight every time the taller spoke, a sign of nervousness that never changed, Baekhyun observed.

“Okay, Yeol please don’t apologize anymore. You did nothing wrong okay? I just…” Baekhyun trailed, zoning out for a bit then realizing if he is actually going to say it now. “I’m just dumb and feeling moody okay? It’s not your fault.” Baekhyun sighed, eyes casted down.

For the first time, there was Baekhyun, keeping a secret from his best friend.   

Two pair of hands cupped his cheeks and he felt himself being forced to stare at the eyes of his best friend. Inwardly, he wished for the earth to just eat him up whole but majority of his consciousness desired for this moment to last a little longer, to savor the attention and time Chanyeol is giving him.

“You know you can tell me everything Baek.” Chanyeol said with all seriousness and Baekhyun chuckled lightheartedly at that, smiling warmly.

“You know everything about me inside out and what I want to say Yeol-ah.” Baekhyun giggled, raising a hand of his own to hold Chanyeol’s, closing his eyes to lean into the warm touch of Chanyeol’s big, calloused hand.

“But your eyes earlier begs to differ Baek.” Chanyeol reminded him, and Baekhyun snapped his eyes open, his gaze gradually finding Chanyeol’s sincere worried ones. He felt his heart skip a thud, his pulse rate shooting through the roof but he opted for a smile.

“You are being weird Chanyeol. Too touchy right now and even holding my face like some silly couple would do.” Baekhyun chuckled, slightly pushing himself away from the contact, prying himself away from Chanyeol’s physical intimacy that he had been longing to touch since the incident at lunch earlier.

You know he can’t find out about it right now Byun Baekhyun.

Baekhyun failed to notice the glimpse of Chanyeol’s disappointed look when he pried away from the touch, the taller choosing instead to respond to Baekhyun’s statement.

“I do love you so much after all Baek-ah.” Chanyeol childishly remarked, to which Baekhyun replied childishly in return.

“Yes yes, I love you too big oaf.”

 

 

 

And for a moment that night, Baekhyun wondered before he fell asleep. Do they often tell their love to each other like that? Before he even gave it a deeper thought, his consciousness slips away from him.

 

 

 

 

The following day, the duo found themselves having lunch at the rooftop, Baekhyun is finished with his while Chanyeol chewed away at store bought bread and milk in a box. The silence of that atmosphere was relaxing, the breeze of the wind calming and skies a bit too blue and bright. The sun also found its way to shine a little too upbeat, but oddly enough, it was still heartening. It was few minutes into the silence that Chanyeol spewed away with his chattering and talks, his stories that Baekhyun would never get tired of hearing and the ridiculous expression he does while he does the talking.

Chanyeol laughs at a joke that he told, but Baekhyun failed to digress the gag and silently kept looking at Chanyeol with all fondness, warmth seeping in countlessly within him. Slowly the taller’s laughter died and stared back at Baekhyun silently.

Baekhyun was the first to break the silence this time, a small smile creeping its way to his lips.

“I like you, Chanyeol-ah.” Baekhyun said, staring straightly into Chanyeol’s beautiful orbs. He finds it captivating for the nth time as it does not fail to lose its shine. Baekhyun kept falling for it, for Chanyeol’s little everything and anything. Maybe saying it right now would not be as bad as he makes it out to be.

Chanyeol simply stared in return, giggling slightly and giving up a lopsided smile.

“I guess I haven’t said it clearly last night, Baek.” Chanyeol replied, hurt slightly evident in his tone and Baekhyun finally gets the message. Chanyeol looks away, the wind swaying his hair in different directions and it just makes Baekhyun fall even more for him. Silently, Baekhyun approached Chanyeol, grabbing his wrist and forcing the taller to stare at him. In one swift movement, Chanyeol’s breath was taken away as Baekhyun tiptoed and planted a soft, lingering kiss by Chanyeol’s lips.

Distancing himself away, Baekhyun opened his eyes that unconsciously fluttered close earlier but he saw Chanyeol’s face closing the gap again, going for his lips and kissing him a little harder, sweeter and lovingly so. The love was sickeningly addicting, Baekhyun thought as they kissed a little more longer, letting the burning feeling mark itself on their lips.

Once they parted, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun by the waist and engulfed him in an embrace, whispering silently into his ear;

“Finally, Baek. Finally.”

“Sorry if I took long enough.” Baekhyun replied softly, lifting his own arms to embrace Chanyeol back tightly, like he means not to lose him, as if they wanted time to stop right then and there. “I guess I’m a little late on this one?”

“I doubt, kinda realized it when I got home yesterday night.” Chanyeol chuckled, the air he breathes out tickling Baekhyun’s senses and everything felt too good, like a fairytale, a happy ending on his part.

“Hours apart is not too bad, Yeol.”

“Mhmm, I love you.” Chanyeol murmured, burying his face deep on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “You smell sweet.”

“You always tell me that… I love you too.” Baekhyun replied, smiling and kissing Chanyeol by his temple, letting it linger for a few moments.

Loving someone is not too hard, Baekhyun guesses. He has been in love with Chanyeol since then after all. With all the little to-know facts about Chanyeol and down to his weird eye twitching thingy, all this time, even before they realized. Byun Baekhyun has been in love with Park Chanyeol.

 

“Don’t you think you could get away with who you kissed by the forehead yesterday, Yeol-ah.”

“Ahhh, that was a dare, please Baek—“

 

Indeed, loving him is not so hard after all.     


Hope that was fluff enough

XOXO DjCMG <3 <3