one

memoirs of springtime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yuna unnie!" the six-year-old holds a picture book in hand as she runs over excitedly, "This," she says with a confident smile.

"This what?" the first-grader greets the younger child with a smile. "Don't run in the library Eunbi," she then adds, pretending to be cross.

"Mianhae," Eunbi pouts and looks down. "Unnie!" she looks back up almost immediately with a wide grin and stretches her hands out with the book. "Read?" her bright smile remains.

"Okay!" she agrees and pats the empty spot beside her on the couch. The younger obeys and seats herself beside Yuna, keeping her excited eyes on the book.

"Cherry blossoms!" Eunbi points to the trees in the pictures once Yuna opens the book.

"Here says it's spring," Yuna points to a familiar Korean character. 

"Spring is coming right?" Eunbi asks next.

"Yes," Yuna answers. She then draws her finger over the page while they both bury their heads in the book. 

Before flipping the page over, the girls let their eyes meet for a moment and Eunbi nods her head. 

"What's this?" Eunbi points to an old wooden shelter in the book. 

"I think it's an old bus stop," Yuna answers after narrowing her eyes while reading the words, trying her best to make an understanding of the story told by the book. 

Their eyes meet again and Eunbi nods. Yuna flips the page over. They now see a bus ticket on the bench of the old bus shelter. 

Once again, they share an eye contact

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter