Episode 2: The First Attack!

Memories of the Prodigy

Present

The atmosphere in the grand hall hung heavy with a dark silence. The news of Neji's death spread through the entire palace, draping it with a deafening sadness. Neji was adored by many in the Imperial Palace. From soldiers to servants, Neji Hyuga impacted each one of them in various ways.

The Imperial Guard admired his dedication to protecting their honorable princess and the Imperial family. Many of them trained with him. They respected his dedication to learn from Lord Akaru and the high-ranking officers. They also admired him for his own instruction. Neji taught the guards new techniques to help strengthen them and expand their skills and enhance their ability to protect the imperial family.

Many of the servants and citizens of the Imperial City admired Neji's devotion to Princess Mera. They watched him grow and love in this palace. He was the light that fought the shadows of the secrets lurking in these walls. With him gone, they watched helplessly as the shadows seized control once more. They watched helplessly as the sadness of this tragedy seized the hearts of the Imperial Family and trapped them in its powerful grasp.

Their beloved princess confined herself in her bedchamber for hours and refused to leave or for anyone to enter. The daimyo and his wife were gone so they did not know of the terrible news yet. Lord Akaru and Grand Lady Anko had yet to show their feelings towards the news. They were too busy tending to the messengers of the news in the tea room to deal with their own emotions.

They remained reserved and graceful as they dealt with the events following the revelation of the horrible news. It was obvious to any spectator that they were worried more about Lady Mera's well-fare than their own. They knew better than anyone how this news would affect her the moment it was announced.

 

Akaru, Tenten, Guy and Lee sat quietly around the large jade table in the shadows of the tea hall. The room was dimly lit by the ornate wall torches outlining the room. The only words that were spoken were those of gratitude as Grand Lady Anko served tea.

At her request, she had the entire room cleared of servants and insisted on serving her guests herself. Even though she seemed frail for her age, she moved with elegance and grace. She concealed her true feelings about Neji's death behind a warm smile.

"I want to thank you for personally delivering the news about Neji. It means a lot to us all to hear such tragic news from friends, instead of through any other channels." Lady Anko spoke softly, breaking the deafening silence.

"I really wish we didn't have to come under these circumstances." Lee responded, blandly looking at the green liquid in his cup.

Guy placed his hand on Lee's shoulder and nodded in understanding. Even though Lee frequently hid how he felt, Guy knew he was greatly affected by the loss of Neji. He fought and trained close to him for years. He cared for and treated him as a brother as well as a friend.

"Me too. I hope Mera will be alright. She hasn't left her room in hours." Tenten looked out to the west window, across the obscure rain soaked silhouette of the courtyard, towards the west palace, where Lady Mera's quarters were. Concern emanated from her as she looked at the darkened shadows of the hall. It was already past midnight; but there hadn't been a stir in Mera's room for several hours. This worried Tenten.

"I'm not sure that will change anytime soon." Akaru responded, following the path of Tenten's gaze.

"That's understandable with how close she was to Neji." Guy responded, taking a sip of his tea.

"I don't want to leave until I know she will be fine."

Determination was imminent on her face as she faced her mentor and Akaru. Tenten's words pleased Lady Anko, causing her wrinkled visage to glow.

"Tenten, we have to return to the village. We have a duty to it. We can't stay much longer without an official notification." Guy stated indifferently towards her honorable concern.

"Nonsense, Guy. You have a duty to the Fire Country as well. And I as Grand Lady say that you'll be granting a great service to this country if you can help the daimyo's heir through this crisis." Before Guy could protest, Lady Anko raised her hand preventing him from doing so. "I will notify the Hokage as soon as I wake up. It will take a miracle to help ease my granddaughter's pain. Maybe having loving friends like you will be the miracle we need."
 

"Mera... Mera... Are you alright?" Weakness plagued Lady Mera, making it impossible for her to move or open her eyes as a familiar voice called her. She lay helplessly as someone took her into a strong embrace, protectively pulling her to their chest.

"You're sick because of me. I'm sorry. I should've been more careful. I should've kept a closer eye on you."

Tears rolled down her face when she recognized the voice and felt the warmth of Neji's body pressed against hers.

"Neji..." she murmured his name through a suppressed cry of relief.

"Yes. I'm here. No need to cry."

Joy filled Mera's entire being as she felt his hand caress her cheek, wiping away freefalling tears. "I'm not going anywhere."

"It was all a bad dream... I'm glad. I can't wait to see you." Mera fought through her pain to open her eyes, but she was stopped by Neji's hand covering them before they could open.

"Don't, Mera. You're too weak. You need to rest."

Mera placed her hand over Neji's, gently removing it from her face.

"It's all alright, my love. Because seeing you again is worth the risk."

Mera gathered all the strength left inside her to force her eyes open. A glorious light shone for the briefest of moments, before darkness swarmed around her again. Neji was gone and only shadows surrounded her. Mera sat up in her bed breathless and covered in sweat. It was only a dream.

Hot tears poured from her eyes as she grabbed her throbbing chest in pain. It was all a cruel illusion. Neji was gone forever; and now her own subconscious was taunting her with false realities. 

Mera looked out of the window at the fierce torrent raging outside. The weather had grown worse and showed no sign of letting up. She jumped out of her bed, wrapped herself in her robe, and crossed the room to the window perch.

The closer she came to the window, the louder the howling cries of the storm became. The rain beat ferociously against the panes as the night storm's cries grew more profound, shaking the palace to its very core. Her tears fell synonymously with those of the raging tempest.

Her heart was broken. There was no cure for it. The beauty within her life was destroyed the moment Neji took his final breath. She would sacrifice anything to make the vicious taunting of her subconscious a reality... Anything.

Princess Mera took a deep breath and covered her eyes with her hands as she tried to banish the raging emotions inside her heart. As soon as her eyes closed, her other senses peaked. A familiar scent passed her nose as a draft rushed into the shadow drenched room. Jasmine and vanilla... a scent she grew accustomed to over the years. A scent that only belonged to one person.

The moment the scent registered in her senses, her ears picked up a faint distant sound, echoing through the palace. The words were intelligible, but her heart recognized the voice almost instantly. It was Neji.

Mera ran out of her bedchamber and dashed down the winding corridors following the voice. As she moved swiftly through the halls, the words of the voice became clearer.

"Mera... Mera..."

She moved with great speed, but her footsteps were silent as she glided towards the direction of the phantom calls. She was trapped in fear's unmerciful embrace as she stepped into the wet stone path surrounding the palace.

"Mera... Where are you?" Neji's voice grew stronger as the princess embraced the raging storm. The rain beat down upon her slim frame, drenching her silk garments and making it difficult for her to maneuver. Her slippers slid frequently as she ran down the stone path in search for the source of the phantom.

"Neji, I'm here." Mera called, hopelessly into the night. "Where are you?!"

There was no response as Lady Mera reached the end of the path. Her vision was blurred by her wet raven bangs clinging to her face, making it difficult to identify where on the grounds she ran. Caught up in her own grief she did not pay attention to where or how far she ran.

She searched around the grounds around her, stepping off the path and onto the muddy ground. The rain froze her senses, numbing her to the chill of the mud splashing her feet and ankles. She trudged through the deepening puddles, until she came upon the stone arch.

The sight of the large gray stone arch made Mera collapse to her knees and her repressed cries escaped into the night storm. It was the arch guarding west garden, which was not far from where the treasury was. It was her mother's favorite place in the entire palace. It was also the place where she first realized that she needed Neji in her life. 
 

Past

The sun pierced through the tall windows of the dining hall, decorating the ivory floor tiles and highlighting the hazel cypress table in warm hues. The soft rays of the early morning sun normally invigorated Mera with energy. However, this morning its effect was quite the opposite.

The illuminous caress of the sun felt as if it was zapping the energy right out of Mera's body. Its warmth comforted her in a soporific embrace as she sat quietly at the table picking at her bowl of fruit.

Her mind was at war with itself. A part of her wanted to return to her quarters and sleep, while another was still mulling over last night's encounter with that ninja boy. By just the thought of that self-righteous ninja, infuriated Mera. Her blood curled at the thought of him. She could not wait until he was gone.

"Mera, what's wrong, my child? You haven't touched any of your food. Are you ill?"

The sound of Lady Anko's voice broke Mera's train of thought, freeing her from her unpleasant memory of the ninja. She calmed her nerves and maintained her composure.

"No, Grandmother. I'm fine."

"Good. I want you at your best for the festival today."

"Festival?" Mera looked at her grandmother in confusion.

"Don't tell me you forgot about the cherry blossoms' festival? I thought this was one of your favorite festivals?" Lady Anko peered at her granddaughter. Her eyebrow arched in surprise.

"It is. But with everything that's happening, it slipped my mind." Mera answered softly. Her cheeks becoming flustered as embarrassment briefly seized her.

"Well, I guess that's understandable. Anyway... since the festival is today and you must wear one of our most sacred treasures, the heart of spring amulet. I want more security around you than for the daimyo or myself."

Lady Anko did not wait for Mera to respond. Instead, she turned her demanding gaze towards her grandson. "Akaru, I want you to lead Mera's protection detail. There's no one I trust more to take on such an important responsibility."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, grandmother. I already have an idea of how the protection detail will go. Since we have the ninja from the hidden leaf here, we can use them to enhance security."

"A splendid idea, Akaru. However, at least one must remain to help guard the treasury."

"I know. Since I will lead the detail, there's no need to have Guy there as well. His team should be sufficient backup on their own. They seem like highly capable ninja, especially the one with the byakugan." Akaru answered.

"You are referring to Young Neji Hyuga, aren't you?" Interest ignited Lady Anko's face as she thought of the intriguing young ninja. "He will bring great honor to the Hyuga name. I can tell."

"I don't know if I would say that yet. But he does seem very useful." Akaru lifted his cup to his lips and sipped its hot contents.

"Which one is Neji Hyuga?" Lady Mera inquired, suppressing the slight interest that peaked inside her about the topic.

"He's one of the genin. The one with the long black hair, violet eyes, and his ninja bandana across his forehead. I doubt you'll remember him, my darling. You met him very briefly when the ninja arrived yesterday." Lady Anko picked at her breakfast and cut it up before partaking in it.

A few seconds into Lady Anko's description caused Mera's body to tense in displeasure. She remembered who Neji Hyuga was very well. The memory of her unpleasant encounter with him the previous night had yet to fade from her memory.

As she mulled over her unpleasant memories, a momentary silence fell upon the room before she could utter a response.

"Akaru, how long to do you anticipate the mission with the ninja to go-on?" Lady Mera suppressed her true feelings as she pried for answers. She did not want her grandmother or cousin to become curious about her reasons for her questions.

"I'm not sure. I hope this will all be settled by time the guests arrive for the banquet. Why?"

Mera bit back her tongue, suppressing the truth from leaving her lips. She took a sip of her juice before responding to her cousin.

"No reason. I'm just curious. I should get ready for the festival."

Mera removed her napkin from her lap, placed it beside her plate, then pushed away from the table.

"I will see you later."

Mera did not wait for a response as she dashed out of the room. She just wanted to escape the constant reminder of the intolerable Neji Hyuga. 
 

As the midmorning sun crept across the wooden panels of the garden shed and fell upon the sea of blankets crumpled on the floor, movement underneath the thick blankets quickened as the warmth of the rays grew intense. The rustling continued for a few moments before the fabric rose and fluctuated in a peculiar manner.

"Having difficulty waking up, Neji?" Guy watched in amusement as his student struggled to free himself from the covers. He sat at the small table on the opposite end of the shed, drinking tea.

Neji pulled the blankets from over his head and scanned his surroundings in a daze. He had been on many missions that required him to spend late nights and early mornings without a hint of fatigue. However, this time was different. He felt entirely drained. He could not understand why; but he knew he had to regain his energy if he was going to make it through the day.

"What time is it?" Neji demanded, ignoring Guy's questions.

"10 am."

"Is Lee still guarding the treasury?"

Guy nodded in response. "Tenten just left to replace him. You better get up and eat. A messenger came by a while ago to inform that Akaru will be stopping by soon. Supposedly, he has an important matter to discuss with us."

Neji jumped to his feet and crossed the room in haste. "I'm not hungry. What does he need to talk to us about?"

Guy shrugged "Who knows? We'll just have to wait to find out."

"You seem drained. How was your shift? Anything interesting happen?" Guy poured some tea into a cup and pressed it into Neji's hand.

"It was quiet. Nothing of interest happened."

        Neji closed his eyes as he drank down the lukewarm liquid. He thought it was unnecessary to inform Guy of his encounter with the princess. It was not worth worrying the others about her peculiar, immature behavior. Royal Drama was not the mission they signed up for.

       "Well, that's fortunate to know. I hope the same will apply to today as well."

       Guy and Neji turned abruptly at the intrusion of a familiar voice coming from the entrance of the shed. There standing tall and erect in thick robes of pearl white and soft pink pastels stood Akaru.

      "Akaru, I know this is your palace, but knocking is normally the polite custom when entering a room." Guy jested. His smile growing larger at the sight of his friend.

      "That's only true when one remembers to close the door." Akaru's stern expression broke for a moment to respond in kind to his friend's light-hearted greeting.

      "I knew there was something I forgot to do." Guy laughed.

      "You haven't changed a bit, Guy. You can be very absent-minded at times." Akaru turned his head in mocking disappointment, hiding a slight smirk of amusement.

      "Sorry to break up this comedic exchange. But what's the important matter you want to discuss with us?" Neji interrupted, diverting the conversation back to the matte at hand.

      "Well aren't you in a straight-forward mood today, Hyuga-boy?" Akaru's smirk fell back into a deep emotionless expression.

      His ice blue eyes focused their gaze on Neji once again; but he didn't let their

intimidating gaze affect him. Neji's unwavering gaze parried Akaru's with strength and determination to deal with any task at hand. Akaru noticed this, and immediately admired it. His expression softened as he recognized his grandmother was right to put her faith into this boy. He had a rare quality that was destined to lead him to greatness.

"Well, I came to extend the duties of your mission. Today is the annual cherry blossom festival at the temple in the center of the Imperial City."

"What does that have to do with us?"

"Patience, Hyuga-boy. I'm getting to the point." Akaru warned. His eyes hardening once more. "Since the princess is the heir to the daimyo, she is the center of this festival. She remains at the base of the oldest cherry tree in the center of the temple's garden, where she meets with subjects and watches the festivities. During the procession and the event, she will wear one of our most sacred treasures, the heart of spring amulet. It's a large necklace embedded with priceless gems depicting the most precious gift of spring, the cherry blossom."

Akaru crossed his arms and looked out the window towards the blooming blossoms in the courtyard. "This amulet is priceless. It has been in our family for generations. Legend says that when it's worn great fortune will befall the wearer and those they care for. Therefore, our honorable princess must wear it during this festival. The promise of great fortune can attract the worst of people. This is why I'm increasing her security."

Akaru turned back to Neji and Guy. His eyes full of determination and authority. "I need you to help me guard the princess. I cannot allow those miscreants to harm her."

"Of course we will. But what about the vault? If we all leave, the treasury's defense will be greatly reduced." Neji responded without hesitation. Regardless of what happened the night before, he refused to let his personal reflection of the princess affect his duty as ninja.

"One of you will have to remain and guard it..."

Before Akaru could finish, Guy cut him off and volunteered. "I'll do it. I'm the strongest out of team. I can fair better if an ambush is attempted during the festival."

"You read my mind." Akaru smiled, hiding his surprise at Guy's request. "Now that that's settled, let's go get your teammates and take you to get ready for this mission."

"Get ready? What do you mean?"

"No one must know that you are ninja from the hidden leaf. You must blend in with my guard."

        Akaru turned away from Neji and Guy and exited immediately after his response, indicating that he would not answer any more questions. Neji followed behind him with small reservations nagging in the back of his mind. There was something strange about the reasons behind this mission. Something about why Akaru wanted them to guard the princess seemed off. But he did not know what it was that worried him? 
 

Present

          The raging storm outside caused the wall sconces of the palace corridors to flicker momentarily. The shadows of the late night were too powerful for the petite lamps to defeat. Silence eerily hung over the vast halls as they moved through them, causing goosebumps to scatter on Tenten's body and chills from an occasional draft to run down her spine.

        She stayed close to Akaru as he guided her through the darkness. He walked slowly through the halls with one strong arm held high as he held an ornate lamp. She felt silly needing to be guided by Akaru to her room because she felt uneasy going by herself.

She was a kunoichi. She dealt with scarier things than a troublesome storm. She had to be brave and not be so silly. That's what Neji would have told her.

        For a moment, courage returned to her, allowing her to walk a few paces behind Akaru without fear. However, as soon as a trembling roar of thunder echoed through the palace halls, Tenten found herself clinging helplessly to Akaru's arm. She closed her eyes, shaking in fear as the earth rattling tenor broke the silence of the night.

         "It's all alright, Tenten. It's only thunder. There's no need to be afraid."

         Tenten opened her eyes slowly when she heard the closeness of Akaru's voice. She felt her whole body go numb as she looked up at him. He looked completely different than she had ever felt before.

        Bathed in the soft light of the lamp, Akaru's strong features were more enchanting and appealing. Few strands of long ash-blonde hair framed his face elegantly, enhancing his attractiveness. His blue eyes were now painted with the soft amber hue of the lamp's flame, making them mesmerizing to look at. For the first time, she noticed his youthful beauty as he looked at her with genuine concern and compassion.

        Heat raced to Tenten's face as her gaze met Akaru's. It took a moment before she realized that she had not answered him yet. She opened to speak, but no words emerged. She, instead, looked away and nodded in apology.

        "Tenten, there's no need to be embarrassed." Akaru grabbed onto her hand as she let go of him. "We all become startled by thunder from time to time. You can hold on to me if it makes you feel better."

        Tenten looked up at him surprised, and then smiled with gratitude. "Thank you."

        Tenten held onto him as they continued their journey through the never-ending halls. This time her fear was replaced with security and contentment as she followed behind Akaru.

         A few minutes passed by time they reached her room in the south wing. Tenten released Akaru's arm and thanked him for guiding her. He responded with a warm smile, before turning away and heading down the corridor. However, as she placed her hand on her door knob to enter the room, Akaru's called after her. His deep voice softly vibrated through the halls.

        "Tenten"

        "Yes" Tenten turned around to face the half-shadowed silhouette of Akaru with surprise.

        "I'm sorry for removing you from Mera's room earlier. I just think it's best to give her some space to grieve on her own." Akaru apologized, averting his gaze in an attempt to conceal his regret.

        "It's fine. I understand. There's no need to apologize." Tenten forced a smile to assure Akaru that she held no resentment towards him, but it was hard.

        To smile was hard and reflected a feeling her heart no longer harbored. The harsh reality of why she was there pained her heart, causing her own sorrow and grief to resurface. She suppressed it as long as she could while wishing him goodnight and entering her room. Nevertheless, when she crossed the threshold and sealed the door behind her, all those trapped emotions burst out at once. The pain of losing Neji, one of her oldest friends, had yet to vanish from her heart. There in the shadows of her room she let her burning tears flow free in the hopes her pain would leave with them. 
 

Past

Neji looked at the vast sea of guards circling around each of the royal carriages, then turned back towards the intricately carved wooden carriage beside him. He felt a slight reluctance come over him as he stood by the princess's carriage. He was surrounded by the beautiful blossoms of the palace courtyard and was even dressed in the finest robes he'd ever seen, but waiting for her arrival tainted the tranquil beauty of this day.

He did not want to babysit a bratty princess, but he gave his word to Akaru. He refused to break it. It was now his duty to protect the princess, whether he wanted to or not.

Neji sighed, scanning the crowds of men for a sign of Lee, Tenten or Akaru. Unlike himself, the others took considerably longer to assemble the robes of the royal guard. Unfortunately, Akaru had to remain behind to help them put their outfits on. It was an embarrassment and a very bad impression. If they could not assemble their own garbs without help, then how could they defend the palace from these rogue ninja? He hoped Akaru did not regret asking them for help after witnessing this brief show of incompetence.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Neji." The sound of Tenten's voice carried over the commotion of the guards and the festive music filling the city streets.

        She ran over to the carriage, dressed in the long, pastel white and pink ceremonial robes of the guard. The thickness of the pearl chest plate she wore made he look very masculine. But this did not bother her at all. She moved with ease through the ranks as if she were not wearing armor.

        Neji met her gaze, motioning to her of his location as a beacon while she maneuvered through the tall guards.

        "Tenten, what took you so long?" Neji questioned, irritated by her whimsical behavior.

        "Lee was having trouble putting on the armor." Tenten smiled sheepishly.

        "I see. Where is he now?"

        "Akaru took him to the princess's chamber. He wanted him to help guide her to the carriage."

        Neji arched his brow in confusion. "Why would her need Lee's help to the princess?"

        "Apparently, the princess's ceremonial robes are too heavy for the princess to move comfortably on her own. Since he was the last one ready, he chose him to help him. That's all." Tenten answered with an expression of excitement on her face.

        "I prefer waiting here. I feel bad for the princess, putting on such an uncomfortable outfit. Regardless of how beautiful she might look in them, it must be torture putting such a tiny girl in robes like that. I prefer not to deal with that."

         "In other words, your reasons are entirely selfish." Neji rolled his eyes, maintaining a stern look of disappointment in reaction towards Tenten's explanation.

        Embarrassed, Tenten chuckled at his simplified version of her reasons. "He He... I guess you are right."

        After her admission, Neji returned his attention towards her, preparing to reprimand her for her light-hearted manner towards her duties; however, the sound of trumpets rhythmically blaring into the air interrupted him and silenced the chaos of the guards around them. He watched as they stood at attention. Their gazes fixated on the palace behind him. He did not have to turn around to realize what or who was the center of their attention. By the look of bewilderment frozen on Tenten's face, he knew immediately who appeared behind him.

         "Wow... She looks beautiful..." Tenten cooed in admiration.

         Neji turned around to see the source of all the commotion. As his sight fell upon the princess, he could not deny his astonishment towards the princess's beauty. Adorned in long flowing robes of soft pearl silk with cherry blossoms painted on it, her long dark hair tied up in a loose bun of large curls addressed with small blossoms scattered throughout it, and an intricate porcelain mask, the princess looked like a vision of the spirit of spring.

       Her attire alone was enough to stun anyone looking. But that was not the only part of her ensemble captivating their attention. The large pink gem nestled in the center of the gold and silver carved amulet draped around her neck was equally as eye-catching.

       He understood more than before why the Imperial Family was so protective of this particular treasure. The heart of spring amulet was a magnificent treasure. The rays of the sun reflecting of the gem projected a beautiful halo around the princess. It created a hypnotizing trance-like state upon any onlooker.

       As the princess drew closer escorted by Akaru and Lee, Neji forgot for a moment the tense exchange they had the previous night. For a moment, this mesmerizing figure was the only impression of the princess remaining in his memory. As she crossed his path and entered the carriage, Neji no longer held any regret about protecting her. He was driven more than before to make sure no harm came upon this gentle princess. 
 

       After escorting the princess into the carriage, Akaru delivered his orders to Team Guy. "Lee and Tenten, I'm appointing you as the princess's perimeter guards. You will walk along the sides of the carriage during the procession with me and my guards. Hyuga-boy, you will be her body guard. In other words, you will remain close to the carriage during the procession and protect her from there."

       Hyuga... that name rang with a familiar tone through Mera's mind. She turned cautiously towards the side of the carriage and scanned the guards Akaru addressed. Her gaze fell upon the young guard with long black hair, a white head band across his forehead and piercing lilac eyes. Even though he was dressed in the garb of the royal guard, Mera recognized him the moment he responded. He was the annoying ninja from the previous night.

        Her skin crawled from disappointment of her cousin's pick. Irritation seized her being, causing her to interrupt their exchange.

       "Why can't Lee be my body guard or the kunoichi, Akaru?"

       Everyone turned towards the princess frozen in surprise by her outburst. Their eyes floated between Lord Akaru and the princess in wonder. Lord Akaru's ice blue eyes stared at his little cousin in bewilderment. Never before had she doubted or questioned his judgment when it came to arrangements for her safety.

       "Mera, why does it matter to you? This has never concerned you before. Have you lost faith in my judgment, little one?"

       Mera looked away in embarrassment.

       "Of course, I still have faith in your judgment, cousin."

       "Well then, it's settled. Hyuga-boy will be your body protector."

         With his orders given, Akaru took Lee and Tenten to the carriage's perimeter, leaving Mera alone with her body protector, Neji Hyuga. Mera faced the front of her carriage pressed against the back cushion of her seat in slight relief that the mask she wore concealed her disappointment. The procession was long and wound around a large portion of the city before reaching the temple garden. Now, it would feel even longer and more uncomfortable than ever before with the self-righteous ninja from the night before as her body protector.

        Neji's illusion of the princess quickly dispersed after seeing her exchange with Akaru. It was clear that she resented him from their encounter last night. He stood close to her carriage indifferent to her obvious discomfort around him and while also hiding his own discontent of having to guard the spoilt heiress. He had no idea how long this event would be; but he had a feeling it would be long enough to transform this beautiful day into a very unpleasant one, as long as he was forced to remain by her side. 
 

       There was a lingering tension in the air around the princess's carriage as it progressed with the rest of the parade through the Imperial City. Even though the princess acted graceful as she waved to their subjects, Akaru recognized a strange emotion emanating from her. It was clear from the moment they left that she was displeased about something. Akaru just could not figure out what it was upsetting her.

       As they progressed through some of the less populated streets, Akaru noticed the princess talking to Tenten. He did not have a problem with her doing so, but the way she did bothered him. She spoke to her as if trying to avoid something.

       Akaru watched Mera's behavior carefully as he juggled his attention between her and the crowd of subjects gathering behind the barricades lining the road.

       "Tenten, don't you feel weird being the only girl on your team?"

        Tenten was surprised by Lady Mera's random question. "Actually, princess, I don't mind it. All of our teams are made up that way, so it never felt weird."

        "But don't you think fighting beside girls would be more comfortable? They would be easier to bond with and related to." Mera questioned, turning towards Tenten with a hidden expression of wonder.

        "I don't know. That could be true. But I like it better this way. Neji, Lee, Guy-sensei, and I make an amazing team. We might have our differences, but those differences are what make us a strong team. I wouldn't change it for anything else in the world."

        Even though Tenten spoke with respect, Lady Mera felt the power behind her words. Her words were protective, but they were also filled with pride. Tenten was proud of her team and gathered strength from this pride. For a moment, Mera's annoyance of Neji dissipated and curiosity took its place.

       "Princess, may I ask you a question?" Tenten asked cautiously, scanning the guards, Akaru and then Lady Mera.

       "Of course."

       "Why are you and Akaru wearing masks?"

       Before Mera could respond, Akaru answered for her.

      "It's tradition. The Imperial Family always wears these masks during the cherry blossom festival. The mask Lady Mera wears must be worn by the first daughter because it's the mask of our ancestor. She began this festival as a way to bring peace and joy to her country in a war-torn time. Lady Mera wears that mask in her honor and as a reminder of why we celebrate the cherry blossoms. We celebrate them to enjoy the beauty of this earth. The cherry blossom is a perfect example of that beauty. Even though its beauty does not last long, it teaches us to cherish the goodness in our lives while we have it."
 

Present
       The raging storm made it difficult for Guy to sleep. There was also a nagging concern plaguing his mind. He knew how much Neji meant to Mera, but she wasn't the only one in the Imperial family who cared for him. Even though Akaru never showed it publicly, he admired Neji very much. He respected and cared for him just as much as they did. His admiration for him was one of the reasons he took him under his wing and helped train him. Guy knew Akaru was hurting as much as they were.

       He crossed the long halls of the west wing to east side of the palace where Akaru's chambers were. He looked out at the rain drenched windows to see the damage the storm was doing to the earth. Almost everything in the west grounds was obscured by the rain, but as he glanced into the shadow drenched torrent he saw a silhouette of a white figure by the entrance of the west garden.

       Guy halted and moved closer to try and get a clearer glimpse of the figure. He knew very well the importance of that garden and knew they had not changed it since Lady Mera's mother died. As he pressed closer to the window, he noticed the object was moving slightly. It did not take long for him to recognize that it was a human when they tossed their long dark hair back and a sound of muffled cries followed.

       Guy ran to the nearest exit and entered the west grounds. As he raced into the raging winds and rain, he noticed the individual was collapsed in the mud. He could not tell if they were injured, so he dashed to their aide. The rain made it difficult for him to identify the person right away. But as he drew near, he recognized immediately who it was. It was Lady Mera.

       "Lady Mera, what are you doing out here? Are you hurt?" Guy knelt by her side, observing her with care.

       Grief seized Mera's heart and mind. Her voice was gone, and she could not respond to Guy-sensei as he took her in his arms to support her and guide her to her feet. She just looked at him with eyes filled with sadness and heartbreak, pleading for answers that Guy did not possess.

       "Let's get you out of here before you get sick."

       Guy could see the pain in Mera's eyes as she looked at him. He saw her confusion, her sadness, and her emptiness. He understood why she could not respond, but he also knew he could not allow her to fall victim to her pain. Neji would never forgive him if he allowed her to succumb to the ailments of her heart.

       Guy guided her back to her quarters, helped her dry off and gave her dry clothes to change into. She followed his instruction as if in a trance, never uttering a word or sound. After she returned from her dressing room in dry clothes, Guy helped her into bed and insisted on staying until she fell asleep.

       When the heartbroken princess finally fell asleep, Guy stayed for a few moments, mulling over his thoughts. He had his reservations about staying a few days longer, but it was clear they were needed here. Mera was taking the news of Neji's death harder than he initially thought. He had to help her through this difficult time. He had to protect her from her heartache and pain, for her sake and for Neji's.
 

Past

The festivities at the temple were lively and joyful. The laughter and singing of the subjects were infectious to anyone near, even Neji. He felt ashamed as the desire to join the merriment instead of being stuck watching over the spoilt princess took hold of him.

They were positioned in the middle of the temple grounds at the base of the tallest and oldest cherry blossom tree. Neji stood firm at her side, while the princess welcomed her subjects. She shook hands with them and spoke to some of them of their concerns. For a moment, the self-absorbed princess showed genuine concern for the citizens. This new side of her took Neji by surprise. He actually felt intrigued by this side of her.

He watched as she mingled with more citizens and walked over to them to help a fallen toddler to his feet. His astonishment grew as he watched her every mover carefully.

As Neji's eyes followed Lady Mera while she moved, he did not notice the ruckus occurring in the south perimeter of the crowd behind the tree right away. Only after the clash of metal echoed through the air, did her turn to acknowledge the trouble brewing. He watched in horror as masked fighters battled with Akaru, Lee, Tenten and the perimeter guards. They outnumbered the imperial guard and his teammates, and the looming fear of their defeat was imminent. Neji had to help his friends; but before he could move from where he stood, Akaru's voiced boomed over the commotion to Neji's ears.

"Hyuga-boy, protect Mera!"

As soon as his words registered in Neji's mind, he swung back around towards where Mera stood. The sudden fight caused the citizens to run around in fear, trapping Mera in a vortex of her panicking subjects. Neji noticed that Lay Mera was frozen in confusion and fear, unable to notice what was happening beyond the stampeding crowd. Neji dashed towards her, trying desperately to push through the madness and reach her.

"Lady Mera, hold on! I'm coming!" Neji called, hoping his voice could carry over the screams of terror and reach her ear.

The distance between them seemed to grow as Neji fought his way through the panicking crowds of people. When he finally had her in his direct sight and reached for her, a masked person grabbed the frightened princess and dashed into the massive crowd. Fear took control of Neji as he desperately searched for them in the crowd.

"Help me!" Mera's terrified scream shattered Neji's fear and propelled him to follow them into the crowd.

 

Following Mera's kidnapper was more difficult than Neji thought it would be. He moved with such ease and speed through the chaos that Neji feared it would not be long until he lost him. His byakugan was useless since there were too many people around for him to determine which were Mera and her assailant. The only thing helping him to locate them was a trail of the princess's fallen accessories. A trail of soft pink and green pearls guided him in the direction the assailant took her.

He followed the trail of beads and accessories into a narrow alleyway off the main road of the temple grounds. Luck have it, as soon as he turned into the alley, he saw the kidnapper struggling with Lady Mera, who wriggled her way out of his grasp and was trying to escape out of the alleyway. Her long robes, however, made it difficult for her to escape, and it was not long before he caught her.

"Let go of her!" Neji dashed down the alleyway and attacked the kidnapper with four kunai, cutting his face with one and pinning the sleeve of his shirt to the wall behind him with the rest. Startled by Neji's appearance, Mera's kidnapper released her.

Mera stumbled out of his grasp and ran to Neji. Dramatized by fear, she flew herself into Neji's arms, tightly gripping the material of his robes and crying hysterically. As he held the terrified princess, Neji felt relief wash over him. His concern for her distracted him from her kidnapper's escape, but he did not care since the princess was safe.

"Princess, Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Neji held her at arm's length, examining her carefully. 

"Yes. I'm fine now. He didn't harm me. I am just really frightened."

Neji's nerves settled as his observation confirmed her words. Aside from the loss of her mask, a few beaded bracelets, and her disheveled appearance, nothing seemed out of order. Though, the most peculiar aspect of her appearance was the Imperial amulet. It was still around her neck and did not appear to have been tampered with.

"I'm glad you're alright."

"Thank you. You saved my life. I don't know what would have happened to me if you did not rescue me." Lady Mera's tear-stained eyes looked at Neji with gratitude.

"Lady Mera, there's no need to thank me. It's my responsibility to protect you. I was just doing my job."

Before Lady Mera could respond, Neji grabbed her hand and guided her back to the others, before they began to worry.
 

Present

After Akaru changed into his night clothes, a soft rapping sounded on his door. He did not have to glance at the clock to know it was too late for someone to call on him; but he was curious to know who the bold late night visitor was. He crossed the vast shadows of his chambers, and then unlatched his door.

"Who is it?" Akaru called out to the mysterious person on the other side of the door.

"It's me, Tanoko, your late night courtesan, Lord Akaru."

It did not take long for Akaru to identify his visitor. Even with his crude impersonation of a woman, Akaru recognized Might Guy's voice immediately. Akaru opened his door and let his friend enter the room. His eyes followed his friend as he crossed the dimly lit path of his room and sat on the chair near his bed.

"Guy, what are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep." Guy answered.

"And you came to my room?" Akaru's brow arched in reaction to Guy's strange behavior. "What's troubling you?"

"I'm concerned about how you are taking the news about Neji." Akaru closed the door, crossed the room, sat on his bed, and then sighed.

"I'm taking it no better than anyone else." He looked over at Guy, his light eyes piercing the shadows with sadness embedded in their depths. "I'm not immune to it, if that's what you're afraid of."

"No. not in the slightest." A small smirk of understanding crossed Guy's lips as he met his gaze.

"I will miss, Hyuga-boy. He was truly a marvelous person and made a big impact on me. Nevertheless, my sadness has to be put aside until I can help Mera with hers. She's hurting more than any of us."

"I know how hard this must be on her, especially, because they were deeply in love with one another."

Akaru's eyes grew wide in shock of Guy's words. "You knew?"

Guy nodded in response looking into the darkness and reflecting on the state he found Mera in earlier. He always suspected Neji's feelings for the princess and vice-versa by the way they acted around on another, but never questioned him. He saw the positive way she impacted him and how being around her helped him grow, so he saw no need to Neji about it.

"Yes. I knew. I realized how they felt about one another after the second time my team was called to the palace to protect her. I suspected it was partly an excuse for them to be together. My suspicions also peaked when I saw Neji was the only one called back to the palace after his promotion to Jonin."

He paused for a moment, suppressing the memories burning inside of his heart. "I realized his dedication to the Imperial Family wasn't purely for his duty to his country, but for his love for the princess." His voice was laced with concern as he continued. "Akaru, during this dark time, do you think Mera will be fine on her own?"

       Akaru turned away from his friend, breathing steadily while he concealed his own worry. "I don't know my friend... I just don't know. This is a pain we cannot ease. We'll just have to wait and see if time can help her overcome the pains of her heart."
 

Past

The night following the cherry blossom festival was eerily quiet. The commotion caused the Imperial Guard to end the festival early and rush the Imperial Family back to the safety of their palace. After returning Mera safely to her chambers and asking Tenten to remain with her, Neji spent the rest of the day with Akaru, Lee, and Guy-sensei scouring the temple grounds for clues.

They would need to rely on what information they could extract from the two ninja Akaru capture; because the rest of the search was fruitless. The intruders left no trail or clues behind.

Neji leaned against the tall golden doors of the treasury. His eyes cast up to the night sky, scanning the stars in wonder. While Guy-sensei and Akaru interrogated the captives, Neji was stuck on guard duty. His mind itched with curiosity of the information they will gather from them. He hoped they will find something useful that can prevent any future attacks from occurring. 
 

Even though the attempted kidnapping was terrifying, Mera barely recalled those moments. From the moment she was in her kidnapper's possession to the moment she broke free were all a blur to her. All she remembered was the deafening pounding of her heart resonating in her ear. The she recalled a voice that shattered the darkness and fear before she broke free from her assailant's grasp. It was one of the memories running repeatedly through her mind.

Even though it was his job to protect her, the way he treated her after he completed his responsibility and the concern he showed was not part of his job description. They were solely products of his own accord. He chased after her assailant and rescued her not just because it was his responsibility, but because he genuinely cared for her safety.

She saw the fear and anger in Neji's eyes when she was captured by her assailant. Mera was certain his concern did not spawn from selfish desires, like fear of negative consequences for allowing her to be captured, but from a genuine unselfish source. She could tell by the way she pursued them and how he treated her after they returned to palace that he was genuinely concerned for her safety.

On the way back to the palace, Neji stayed in the carriage with Mera. He refused to leave her side until they reached her room. Then he ordered his comrade to shadow her for the remainder of the day.

Normally, this type of over-protection would normally bother her; but surprisingly, it did not. She was shocked by Neji's behavior. He was not like any guard she had ever had.

He had one job to protect her while they were at the festival. His duties did not include staying glued to her side until they returned to the palace or arranging a personal companion to stay by her side until the shock wore off. He was not required to do those things, but he did.

No matter how much Mera racked her brain, she could not understand the reasons behind his actions. She was grateful to him for doing so, but she longed to know why. Mera looked out her window, gazing up towards the full moon embedded high in the sky. Her eyes traveled along the rows of the cherry blossom tress lining the pathway alongside the palace wall, then stopped at the small corner of the pointe edge of the treasury's roof.

By the position of the moon, Mera could tell it was midnight. She recalled the previous night when she encountered Neji. It was past midnight when that happened, which meant there was a possibility he was guarding the treasury this night as well.

Mera sprang to her feet and grabbed her slippers, before dashing out of the room. She wanted to express her gratitude to Neji for safe guarding her life. She was too anxious to wait until morning to do so. She wanted to thank him now. However, something else fueled her determination; it was a desire burning in her chest. It was the desire to know the reason behind his actions. 
 

Neji walked slowly around the treasury, patrolling the grounds for any abnormalities. This was his third patrol around without finding anything suspicious. He tried to stay vigilant in each of his searches; however, his concern was elsewhere.

The princess was safe asleep in her room and out of harm's way. But the events during the festival plagued Neji's mind with concern. There were a few aspects of the day that did not add up. Small peculiar actions and inactions that haunted his thoughts, such as the amulet.

Why didn't the assailant take the amulet when he had the chance? It was common knowledge in this city the value of that necklace. It would have given them a small fortune if they sold it on the black market. Also, why did they attempt to rob the princess during such a heavily guarded and crowded event? It was too high a risk and doomed to fail, so why then?

Neji paused in front of the tall gray stone arch and gazed at in wonder. The beauty of the spring blossoms beyond the gate was hypnotizing. They seemed to lure in his mind and propel him to cross the threshold. A harsh wind blew around, causing a flurry of petals to swirl around him. The sight of this majestic dance of nature not only pleased his eyes, but it also stimulated his mind. As the wind calmed and the petals settled, an imaged flashed in his memory as bright as the sun. Painted in the morning sun's rays and framed in a light whirlwind of petals was Lady Mera. His eyes grew wide in disbelief and fear of his new discover. Was the target really the heart of spring amulet or was it...?

"Captivating isn't it?"

Neji snapped around to face the gentle voice of a surprise guest behind him. Shock took hold of him as his eyes fell upon Lady Mera. A soft smile painted her delicate visage as her amethyst eyes met his gaze. She stood before him a vision of ethereal beauty and mystery as she was painted in the light of the full moon. Dressed in long flowing, light-colored robed and her long dark hair braided at her side, it was clear she was dressed for sleep. So why was she there at this moment?

"Lady Mera, what are you doing out here this late?"

"I thought you might be hungry, so I brought you a snack." Mera answered, moving closer to him and extending a small wicker basket to him.

"Thank you. But you did not need to do that." As she moved closer, Neji regained his composure as she cordially rejected her offer. "I'm on duty. It would be improper for me to accept your kind gesture."

Lady Mera's gentle smile quickly turned into a small pout of disappointment. "That's rude to decline my offer. I don't think you will be reprimanded if you take a break with me. I am the princess."

She cast a sideways glare of annoyance at Neji, making him somewhat uncomfortable and ashamed. Seeing the princess from this close distance, caused Neji to blush slightly in reaction to her enchanting appearance in this night setting.

"I'm sorry, but I can't. I'm going to you back to your room." Neji reached for her arm, but she maneuvered it from the path of his grasp.

"I will not return just yet. Please allow me to treat you to this wonderful snack. It's the least I can do to show my gratitude and make amends. Please, Neji."

Neji's eyes grew again in surprise this time by the princess's words. He noticed the determination in her eyes as she met his gaze. It was the first time she called him by his name. The very sound of his name falling from her lips caused a strange feeling to grow rapidly inside him. Her gratitude and guilt were puzzling to him.

"You have nothing to grateful or make amends for, princess."

"But I do. I treated you horribly last night. I must make up for it and for saving me today. I owe my life to you." Lady Mera released the basket from one hand and took hold of his sleeve, gazing into his eyes and pleading into his heart.

He took her hand in his to remove it from his sleeve, but stopped when her gripped tightened around his hand.

"I was only..."

Before he could finish his thought, Lady Mera cut him off with her own words.

"Please don't." Mera cast her eyes away from him, sadness slowly taking control of her voice as she spoke. "I know you were only doing your job, but I saw the concern and fear in your eyes. They were genuine feeling towards my well-being. Also, your determination to stay by my side until I reached my room and the arrangements you made for Tenten to stay with me until the shock was gone were all of your own volition. You didn't have to do those things. They weren't a part of your job description, but you still did them. Why you did? I probably won't find out right now; but I can't leave until I can express my gratitude and you accept my gift for all you've done."

"I understand," Neji sighed, giving in to the princess's desire. "But I didn't do much other than protect you. I was your body protector, and that's what I was supposed to do."

Lady Mera looked back at him surprised at his indifference towards his good deed. "You did not only just protect me, but you taught me a lesson."

Neji arched his brow in confusion as he met her gaze.

"Lesson?"

Lady Mera nodded in affirmation, before piercing him with an intense gaze of determination.

"You taught me that I'm not as strong as I believed I was."

"You're mistaken. You are strong. You might not possess the type of strength you desire. But you are very strong-willed, which is the greatest type of strength. If your will is strong, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to."

Neji's answer surprised Mera. Her heart and thoughts raced, causing her to immediately repeat them in her mind over and over again. She had a strong will. She was never told that before. She was always treated as if she was made of porcelain, so weak and fragile. She was never treated as if she had the strength to do anything on her own.

Heat rose to her cheeks, coloring them a soft pink like the cherry blossoms surrounding them. She shoved the basket in Neji's arms, stepped away and turned from him trying to conceal her reaction.

"If that's the case, then I must use my will to become physically stronger. I will no longer be satisfied burdening others as a damsel in distress. Just watch, Neji Hyuga."

With those words, Lady Mera ran away, leaving Neji frozen in confusion while he watched after her, while clutching her gift. His mind pondered over her spontaneous visit and her words. She felt like she burdened those who protect her; but what if they didn't feel that way? What if they protected her purely because it was their desire to keep her safe?