Episode 1: Arrival at the Imperial Palace

Memories of the Prodigy


    The wind howled and whipped past the tall oblong windows of the east bedchamber. It beat against the ivory panes with immense force. The rain joined the horrifying symphony as it drowned the earth in its tears. Darkness fell upon the land with a blanket of mystery and sadness.

            The relentless torrent was empathizing with the ferocious battles occurring within Mera's heart. For the first time in her life, she felt connected to the darkness of the night. The raging wind and pounding showers were akin to the emotions battling for control inside her. Mother Nature was expressing the feelings she could not reveal.

            She tugged at her ivory and crimson silk robe as she leaned against the back of her ornate loveseat, peering out at the blurred vision of the gardens. ached from choking back cries of despair. Her eyes burned from withholding her tears. All emotion seemed useless. 

            What would crying do? It wouldn't bring him back, so she saw no use in allowing them to fall. No matter what she did, it would never change the fact that the man, who gave hope and light to her life, was gone forever.

 


            A soft rapping on the door of the bedchamber broke Mera from her neutral state. Her visitor did not wait for a response before entering the room. Mera was too drained to become annoyed at the sudden intrusion. When she turned around to see who her urgent visitor was, she had not heart to feel any ill will towards her. Because it was her friend, Tenten.

            Tenten stood cautiously by the door, piercing the shadows of the vast room for the princess. It didn't take long for her to come upon her dark silhouette huddled by the window on the opposite side of the chamber. She slowly traversed across the vast expanse of the room to a closer area by Mera.

            "Lady Mera, I know how close you and Neji were. I also understand how hard the news must be on you. If there's anything I could do, feel free to ask."

            Mera recognized the empathy and sympathy in Tenten's eyes. She also noticed her genuine concern for Mera and her state of mind; but for some strange reason, she refused to burden her friend with her tumultuous feelings.

            "Thank you, Tenten. I appreciate the offer, but I should be fine."

            "Are you sure? If you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here." Tenten pressed softly. 

            "No, need." Mera shook her head, gracefully declining Tenten's offer. "Thank you for your concern. I assure you I'll be fine."

            Mera's heart ached as her grief swelled inside it. Her suppressed emotions fought for freedom, causing Mera to grasp her knees in pain while she tried to regain control of her faculties. Tenten noticed the princess's struggle and stepped forward to help her; but she was immediately stopped by Mera.

            "Please. Don't. Leave me. I want to be alone."

            "But princess..." Tenten protested.

            She was prevented from continuing to press her by a soft tug on her arm. Surprised, Tenten turned around to face the mysterious person grabbing her arm. She came face to face to the soft gaze of the princess's cousin, Akaru.

            It was clear by his reluctant expression that he was just as worried for his cousin as she was, but he thought it best to respect her wishes. He motioned quietly towards the exit, subconsciously urging her to leave with him. Tenten volleyed her gaze from Mera to Akaru for a moment, before following him to the hallway.

            Alone once more, Mera let her suppressed emotions take control and succumbed to her grief. Hot tears poured down her face. Her lungs burned as she gasped for air through her soft cries. Her heart pounded uncontrollably as the cruel twist of fate began to sink in as her new dark reality. 

            Neji was gone. Only her memories of him could give her solace. Only they could help her cope to her bleak future.

            Neji wasn't Mera's favorite person when they first met. His extreme views of duty and responsibility was a turn off to Mera, at first. However, those same traits that once annoyed her became the very reasons she loved him. He became the balance to Mera's free spirit. 

 

 

Four and a half years ago

The Hokage sat at his desk, mulling over the papers in his hand. He didn't know what to think of the request. It was an official letter from the Imperial Palace, requesting a team of their ninja to protect a sacred treasure from thieves. It was a simple task that any team of genin could fulfill; but the person, who sent the request, alerted his suspicions. 

Lady Anko, the mother-in-law of the daimyo, sent this request. Normally, the royal advisor or the daimyo himself would send a request of this importance, but the Grand Lady never. That old woman would never go against tradition or protocol, unless she had an ulterior motive.

Knowing this, he had to be careful which team he chose to send on this mission. He had to send one who would be ready to adapt to any new development. There was only one team he felt suitable for this task, Team Guy.

 


After receiving orders from the Hokage about their new mission, Team Guy set out for the Imperial City. The journey to the capital of the Fire Country took a few tireless days to complete. When they arrived, the tall magenta walls of the city opened; the thoughts of their journey completely vanished as they were overwhelmed by the grandeur of the Imperial City.

Stone streets greeted them as they passed the threshold of the gates and into the city. Tall elegantly structured buildings of soft pastels and stone surrounded them. It was obvious by the size and vastness of the city that there were many occupants living within its walls, but for some mysterious reason the streets were vacant.

They searched the expanse of the main street and the connecting streets for any sign of life. It did not take them long to find the reason for the deserted streets. About five blocks away from them stood a horde of soldiers. They stood at attention around two figures at their center.

As they grew near, they could clearly see the features of the two figures. Both figures were dressed in elegant robes, but it was clear by the silver ornate headdress on the elderly woman that she was the one who sent for them, Lady Anko.

 


Lady Anko was a petite woman. She was poised and graceful. Even though her hair was flushed with gray and wrinkles accented her skin, she exuded a warmth and beauty that well surpassed many of her age. She wore long flowing lavender robes of silk and various pieces of silver jewelry. Her delicate visage transformed when a warm expression painted it, greeting her guests with an infectious welcome. 

"Might Guy, Hiruzen sent you. Well, this is a wonderful surprise." The Grand Lady spoke directly to Guy ignoring his team.

"Lady Anko, it's been a while. I'm glad to be of service to you." Guy saluted, grinning from ear to ear.

"I hope so. You're a mentor to genin. I hope they're as skilled as you if they're going to accomplish my task." Lady Anko turned to Lee, Tenten and Neji smiling with welcome.

"These are the best genin in the village." Guy wrapped his arms around his students, pulling them into a proud embrace. Then he looked at each one as he introduced them. 

"This is Neji, Tenten and Lee."

Lady Anko nodded her head as she greeted them. "A pleasure."

They bowed in response. When Lady Anko's eyes fell upon Neji, she moved closer to him and stared in bewilderment. 

"Those eyes... Tell me, boy, are you from the Hyuga clan?" She placed her fan under his chin, forcing him to maintain contact with her pale lavender eyes. 

"Yes, Lady Anko. I am. May I ask how you know?"

"Your eyes and your features. I'd recognize them from anywhere." She turned away from Neji and redirected her gaze to Guy. "Well, I guess your team is quite sufficient for the task."

"Do you mind elaborating on our responsibility and the dangers facing your treasure?" Guy asked.

"I can explain that for you." The elegantly dressed man beside Lady Anko responded, moving closer to Guy and his team. "The treasury at the palace has undergone multiple break-in attempts over the last few weeks. They broke open the door, but could not get pass the second defense of the vault. Surpassing the palace's wall and guards means they must be highly trained rogue ninja, but not skilled enough to break past the second defense."

"Other than surpassing the palace's defenses, what other clues do you have that these are ninja?" Neji questioned, doubting that the thieves' ability to surpass the guards was sufficient evidence to assume they were ninja. As he scanned the armed guards surrounding them, he noticed that they did not seem like the most highly trained or even efficient guards.

"Well, to be able to open the vault door, you must be able to use chakra. Only certain members of the staff and family have that ability." The man responded, partly surprised by Neji's directness. Lady Anko was not. Her frail thin lips curled in amusement as she opened her fan and fluttered it back and forth.

"Don't let these men fool you, young Hyuga. They are but a fraction of our guards. Most of our arsenal is filled with samurai; but even they cannot keep these pesky rogues out. Ninja are the only ones with such skill. That's why you all are here. You must guard our treasure and expose the threat." Lady Anko turned away from them before anyone could respond. "Come now. You must meet the family, then you will be shown to your quarters where you can devise a strategy for this mission."

Neji, Tenten, and Lee cast looks of confusion at Guy, who just smiled as he walked past them and followed Lady Anko. He was too familiar with Lady Anko's manners from when he was a chunin. She smiles and treats them as guests to lower suspicions of who they are and their purpose of being there. She might seem oblivious, but that old woman was far from it. She was a master of hiding her true feelings and intentions. 

 

 

After a long procession through the city, they finally passed through the gates of the palace and arrived at the main courtyard. Tenten and Lee marveled at the beauty of the marble and jade tiles of the plaza. They were mesmerized by the various ornate statues carved in different precious metals, marble, and jade. The way they beamed over the intrinsic sculptures and beautifully shaped bushes and trees amused Grand Lady Anko, causing her to giggle for the briefest of moments.

However, there was one out of the genin who did not partake in the trivial delights. Neji walked past all the beauty as if they were no different from the trees and rocks in the forest. His eyes focused on the group of people standing at the far end of the courtyard. Grand Lady Anko was impressed by his discipline. It had been awhile since she employed someone like that.

"Mother, you've returned. Welcome back." said a robust woman, covered in tons of makeup and with a large bun atop her head. Her large portly body was encased in bright colorful robes of silk. She did not even acknowledge Team Guy as she ran to Grand Lady Anko's side, fawning over her with desperation.

"Shijimi, you overtitled harlot, how many times do I have to remind you that you're never to call me that! I'm not your mother!" Lady Anko reprimanded, disdain and annoyance resonated from her.

"Oh, Milady, you are constantly cruel to me." Shijimi frowned, overdramatically pulling away from her and feigning hurt. She pulled out her fan and covered her face as she took off down the porch.

Team Guy was the only ones affected by the scene. They were frozen in surprise at Lady Anko's treatment of the daimyo's wife. They were more surprised at the daimyo's indifference as he bowed to Lady Anko.

"I'm sorry about that, Mother. I try to remind her."

"She's a bumbling fool. There's no way anyone can get through to her type. Anyway, I brought the ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village."

"That's good." He looked over at Team Guy with a crooked smile. "I trust you will take care of this pesky matter in no time. My nephew, Akaru, can explain more about it if mother hasn't explained already."

The daimyo touched the broad shoulder of the tall, muscular man beside him. He turned his attention towards the three kids before him; his lips frozen in an emotionless expression. His piercing blue eyes scanned them for a moment, before he nodded in recognition.

His two large arms crossed his body from beneath his robes. A brown leather hilt rested on his hip, securing a large sword. His appearance was menacing as he stepped forward to greet Guy and his team; but his intense demeanor swiftly faded as he took Guy's arm in his in a friendly embrace.

"Guy, it's been awhile. You're a teacher for genin now. My how times have changed." Akaru smirked warmly.

"A lot changed for you too. You are the head honcho of the Imperial Guard. I'm surprised our presence was even requested."

"This is a special circumstance that I would like to tell you about in more detail inside." Akaru turned away from them and walked towards the palace porch. "Follow me, but first pay your respect to Lady Mera, the heir to the daimyo and my honored cousin."

Akaru extended his hand to the elegantly dressed girl hiding in the shadows of the cherry blossom trees on the far side of the porch. The features of the princess were unknown to Guy and his team because of the thick white veil obscuring them and the long flowing robes draping her body. However, by the way she cautiously approached her cousin, they could tell she was a very timid and shy individual, unlike her very animated family.

Her meek behavior did not affect her manners as she bowed gracefully to their guests. As she tilted her head in respect, a gentle sound escaped her lips. 

"Welcome to our palace. I thank you personally for travelling a distance to aid us. I wish you the best."

The Hidden Leaf Village ninja bowed in respect to Lady Mera. They waited until Lady Mera rose her head before doing the same. After her brief greeting, the small princess quickly dashed down the palace corridor.

The daimyo's family seemed unconcerned about Lady Mera's actions. Akaru motioned for them to follow him as he traversed down the long wooden porch. He continued until he came to the end of the east side of the main building. Then he crossed the garden path, heading towards a small cottage on the other side. 

The sound of their footsteps echoed as they crossed the wooden planks of the dark cottage. They stopped when they noticed Akaru pausing at the back wall and turning back towards them. With a flick of his hand, light filled the small cottage from the small wall sconces surrounding them.

"This will be where you stay. Sorry it's not bigger, but this is all we could provide in such a short notice. Our annual banquet for the most prestigious citizens of the Fire Kingdom occurs in two weeks. The guests begin to arrive soon. Preparations for the other rooms have begun; so, this is the only vacant space we have at the moment." Akaru explained, looking around the scarcely furnished room and anticipating any question of why they were there.

They scanned the room. Tenten looked at the sole sofa and coffee table on one end, then at the small kitchen, across what seem to be a washroom, with slight disappointment. For some reason, when she was told that their mission was at the Imperial Palace, she hoped they would stay in a lavish room. It was quite disappointing compared to the grandeur they were exposed to when they arrived.

Neji and Lee were unaffected by their living situations. Neji thought it was acceptable for the mission at hand; while Lee, did not care. As long as they fulfilled their mission, where they stayed did not matter.

"Don't worry about it, Akaru. This is fine. It shouldn't affect our performance." Guy assured. A smile crossed his lips while he looked at his old friend.

"Great. I was worried about it, since it is some distance from the vault, which is on the west side of the main building. I suspect that Grand Lady Anko already told you why you were summoned here, since she insisted meeting you at the gate."

Guy nodded in response. "Yes. She did."

"Good. Then I don't have to repeat it. The reason you are here is not only to protect the vault; but to track down the culprits and uncover who they are working for."

"What makes you think we will be any better at tracking them than trained guards and samurai? We're just genin." Tenten asked, confused at why they did not choose a team of higher ranking ninja. 

"Aside from myself and a few of my high-ranking men, my guards do not know how to use Chakra and will be ill-equipped against ninja." Akaru answered.

"Also, if you send a portion of your men to investigate this, you will leave the palace vulnerable and weakened; and with your huge social event with delegates and influential figures arriving any day now, you can't risk that type of weakness. Right?" Neji added, observing the whole situation at hand. 

"That's correct, boy." Akaru was slightly surprised at Neji's observant analysis. It was intriguing to see someone his age think like that.

"So what's the plan?" Lee inquired anxious to get to work.

"It would probably be best if we take turns guarding the vault. One should be fine for each shift, since palace guards should be there as well. The other three can investigate the grounds around the palace walls for clues about these intruders." Guy explained, looking out the window to the pastel pink wall on the far end of the grounds. 

"That sounds like a good plan. Two of my men are always guarding the perimeter of the vault, and I just added two more to the entrance. The sun should be setting soon. Do you have an idea who will take the night shift?" Akaru asked.

"The only one of us who will be most efficient guarding at night is Neji. With his byakugan, he can detect intruders immediately, regardless of the darkness." Guy answered, turning to Neji and patting his shoulder.

"Byakugan, huh? That's fine. I will leave this to you all." Akaru crossed the room to the door. He paused before taking his leave to say one final thing. "I hope you can resolve this nuisance before the banquet; because it will be very difficult trying to while also protecting the Nation's elite."

 


Just as Neji suspected, the night dragged on slowly, without a sign of anything abnormal. Only the sound of the wind rustling through the trees and the noises of the various creatures of the night resounded in the darkness. Boredom seized Neji as the midnight crescent moon illuminated the sky above the palace grounds. 

The trees lush branches and their blooms were painted in the silvery light of the moon. If he was not on a mission, the setting would be perfect to relax in after a long day of training. The majesty of the beautiful landscape was very tempting. Nevertheless, he could not let his mind wander, he had to protect the treasury, no matter how mind-numbingly boring it was at the moment.

As the moon traveled the sky, the tranquility of the night was briefly interrupted by a slight rustling in the bushes on the far side of the grounds by the rear of the treasury. Neji doubted it was anything besides some pesky creatures, but he knew it would be foolish if he did not investigate it. He used his byakugan to confirm his suspicions. However, it proved exactly the opposite.

When he detected a hunched figure creeping along the foliage of the palace grounds, he stealthily concealed himself in the trees and traveled by the branches until he grew near to the intruder. The faint light of the moon and the stars was not enough to reveal the features of the figure. Not only did the shadows conceal them, but they were veiled in a long black robe. This made it difficult for Neji to decide the most efficient way to approach them. He had to make a rash decision, before they noticed his presence.

Neji took a kunai out and held it firmly in his hand. He dropped from the tree, grabbed the cloaked figure by the arm, pinned it to their back, and pressed his kunai to their neck. The moment he pressed the cloaked figure's arm to their back and pressed his kunai to their neck, a high-pitched cry of pain sounded.

The sound was not loud enough to alert the guards. However, by the sound of the figure's voice, he recognized it was a girl.

"Please don't hurt me. I will give you whatever you want. Just please let me go." The figure pleaded in fear. 

It did not take long for Neji to recognize the voice. Dread and confusion took over him. It was Lady Mera. He had just manhandled the daimyo's daughter.

"Lady Mera? Why are you sneaking around the grounds this late in the night?" Neji asked, withdrawing his kunai and unpinning her arm without releasing his grip.

Trapped in Neji's grasp, Mera was forced to face him. As she turned to face him, her hood fell, revealing the faint features of her face and long strands of black hair. For a moment, Neji was embolized by the princess's beauty. Her delicate porcelain skin radiated in the moonlight. Her eyes sparkled as the light reflected their brilliance. Her ametrine eyes looked at him with defiance at his inquiry and treatment. Their beauty almost threw off his guard, but he regained his resolve.

"I don't have to tell you that. This is my palace."

"Actually you do. You can either tell me or your father. Those are your only choices." Neji demanded. His expression cold and intense as he stared down the defiant princess.

"Fine." Mera sighed reluctantly, turning her head as she responded. "I couldn't sleep and wanted some fresh air, so I went for a walk."

"At this time of the night, it's dangerous for you to be wandering out here alone. Come. I'm taking you back to your room." Neji reprimanded Mera, guiding her back to the main palace. 

"I'm not afraid of danger." Mera snapped, pouting stubbornly.

"That's a foolish way for you to think. You are the daimyo's daughter, the next to succeed your father. You have a duty to mind your safety and well-being for the people of this country." Neji pressed forward, annoyed at the foolish nature of the princess. 

"I know all about my duties and can take care of myself! I don't need a reminder or a lecture!" 

"Apparently, you do need one if you are going to act so recklessly." Neji's voice did not escalate as his annoyance rose. 

"How dare you! You know nothing about me or my duties! You're just some ninja lapdog!" Her voice was riddled with anger, but it was soft in pitch. She used the strength of her anger to break his hold and run away. Neji started to go after her until he realized that she was returning to her room.

Neji was momentarily frozen in shock. He could not believe that the girl who just ran away was the same as the girl from earlier. She seemed like two different people, the meek princess during the day and a bratty rebel by night. Neji had a feeling this would not be his last encounter with the rebellious princess. He also wondered if her rebellious ways and the break-ins were connected. That was something he needed to investigate. He would keep a very close eye on the honorable princess from now-on.