Episode 3: The True Target

Memories of the Prodigy

Present

 

          When morning arrived, the fierce storm had subsided. The brilliance of the sun's rays once again bathed the long, marble corridors of the palace. Their warmth washed over the pale, wrinkled skin of the Grand Lady as she traversed down the sunbathed halls.

 

            She walked slowly with elegance draped in flowing dark robes, the traditional robes for mourning. She stood tall and moved with an unwavering grace which made it difficult to recognize the heavy burden weighing upon her heart. Her long, gray hair was loose and flowing with only a portion tied back by an onyx comb. Her expression remained neutral, but her mind and heart remained active and expressive.

 

            The sadness she felt towards the news of Neji's death was unbearable; however, as Grand Lady and Mera's grandmother, she had to bury her grief, until she could help Mera overcome her own grief. She could only imagine the pain her grandchild must feel at every waking moment.

 

            The bond she had with Neji Hyuga was one so strong and pure that finding anything like it would be impossible. The joy he brought into her life was one greater than she had ever seen. Being with Neji, restored the warmth and beauty in her grandchild's life. Only he could make her smile with such a hopeful exuberance. He was the antidote to years of solitude and despair caused by the loss of her beloved daughter.

 

            When she followed the winding, corridor leading to the wing where her granddaughter's quarters were, she slowed her pace and looked past the courtyard towards one of her bedroom windows for a sign. Only a few shadows, hidden behind an intense glare of the sun as it traveled the morning sky, were noticeable. There was no sign of movement, which was not surprising to Grand Lady Anko.

 

            She gracefully quickened her stride as she neared the door to Mera's chambers. She knocked on her door a few times; but there was no response following. Grand Lady Anko waited a few moments before entering the room with her copy of the key to Mera's room.

 

 

 

            Shadows and darkness greeted Lady Anko as she entered Mera's room. Sadness and despair suffocated her as she roamed passed the dark shadows and deeper into her bedchambers. The sound of her footsteps as they searched the room for her granddaughter was the only noise audible.

 

            She searched many of the opaque silhouettes, but none of them were Mera. Worry filled her heart as she began to nervously search for her grief-stricken grandchild in the vast space. But it did not take long for her fears to be laid to rest; because the moment she flung the door open to Mera's sitting room, she found her granddaughter resting on the chaise lounge.

 

            "Mera, here you are. Thank the heavens." The frail, pitiful creature turned at the sound of the Grand Lady's voice. The shadows obscured the details of the figure, but the few streams of light that entered the room revealed Mera's amethyst eyes gazing in the Grand Lady's direction.

 

            "Of course, I'm here, grandmother. Where else would I be?"

 

            Mera's words were monotone and emotionless as she responded to her grandmother's sudden intrusion. Her lovely frame was now hidden under long, black robes. The few streams of light revealed a pale countenance, void of life and warmth. Seeing her beloved child in such a state, strained Anko's frail heart.

 

            "I'm sorry for intruding; but I was deeply concerned for your well being." Grand Lady Anko crossed the room and sat on the chaise beside her granddaughter while she voiced her words of consolation. "I know the wound from the news is still fresh, but I am worried about you. You were the closest to Neji. How are you feeling?"

 

            Mera gazed at her grandmother with a blank expression, the morning had come, but nothing changed. Neji was still dead; and she was still at war between her heart's desires and reality.

 

            "I do not know how to feel." Mera turned from her grandmother and stared out into the shadows on the far side of the sitting room. No matter where she looked in this palace, there was always a reminder of him. That's why she preferred to stay in the shadows. At least, when she was in their possession, the reminder of him and her current reality faded, even if it was only for a few moments.

 

            "I feel numb. I want to cry, but I cannot produce the tears. All emotion seems impossible. When I dream, Neji is always there, and it feels like he's laying down next to me, holding me; but as soon as I wake, he is gone and only for the briefest moment does his presence linger, igniting my senses. Only the shadows bring me comfort, because they hide me from both my reality and fantasy."

 

            Lady Anko's sadness deepened in reaction to her granddaughter's revelation. These feelings were very familiar to her. They were feelings she prayed her grandchild would never have to bear.

 

            "I'm sorry, my child. I wish there were words I could say to relieve you of your burden. I felt the same way when I lost my honored husband and beloved daughter. The following years will be painful; but you inherited your mother's powerful heart and strong will. You will overcome this pain."

 

            "No! This is impossible! The moment Neji died, my heart and will perished with him. I fear that if there is no way to bring him back, then I will not survive."

 

            Mera's words were ominous and filled with her profound grief and pain. Grand Lady Anko observed her grandchild frozen in worry and sadness. Her fears of her granddaughter falling victim to her despair seemed closer to fruition than she initially realized. This realization frightened her.

 

            She waited to reach out and console her; but she knew that the wiser choice was to give her space. Lady Anko rose and crossed the room to the door. She paused one last time to respond to her grandchild's words.

 

            "You should rest. It can help alleviate your grief. I will send some food to your room. You need to maintain your composure."

 

            With those random words, Lady Anko left the sitting room and subsequently Lady Mera's bedchambers. When she was alone again in the hall, she leaned against the wall, grasping onto her chest as she tried to fight back the pain and tears threatening to fall.

 

            Seeing her beloved granddaughter in such a state of despair, burned her heart. The pain Mera did not express seeped through Anko's skin, tainting her being with anguish. She wanted to save her from these feelings. She had to protect her, somehow, from this growing darkness and despair. By some miracle, she would help her remove her pain even if it cost her life.

 

 

 

Past

 

            After the attempted kidnapping of the princess, the security level around the palace and the Imperial family intensified. No matter where a member of the family went, they were escorted by a dozen men. Neji did not have a problem with these measures, since they could not afford for a repeat of the events from the day before.

 

            The events from the previous day did not end in fear and uncertainty. While Neji went after Lady Mera and her kidnapper, Akaru and his soldiers captured two of his comrades. Ever since they brought the prisoners to the palace, Akaru and Guy commenced a vigorous interrogation, probing for any useful information about their motive behind their attack. So far, neither of the perpetrators confessed anything indicating their motives.

 

            Neji trailed off into deep thought as he walked down the long halls of the palace's south wing. With Akaru and Guy busy with interrogating the conspirators, the members of Team Guy had to focus on guarding the two possible targets, the vault and Lady Mera. Neji and Tenten were assigned to protect the princess, while Lee guarded the vault. His mind was spilt in its concentration.

 

            A part of his mind was concerned with his duty to protect Lady Mera, while the other part was anxious in getting news of the true intentions of the prisoners' actions. He had his own theories, but he wanted to double check if they were correct or not.

 

            He wished there was a way for him to find the answers for his questions; but he knew that he would not be able to contribute to the interrogation. He was inexperienced with those techniques, so he had no other option, but to wait for the results of Akaru's and Guy's interrogation.

 

            While Neji was preoccupied with his thoughts, he did not notice a girl cross their path and stop in front of them. It was not until she spoke that he noticed her presence.

 

"Neji... Tenten... I'm surprised to find you wandering in this part of the palace. Did you come for my sake?"

 

"Princess Mera?! I barely recognized you. You look..." Tenten gasped, looking over the beautiful girl dressed in a long grey tank and black long sleeve bodysuit, in bewilderment.

 

"I look 'normal'. That's what you were going to say, right? Well, it's a waste to wear fancy garments when I train. Akaru-nii-sama, sent you to fill in for him, correct?"

 

"Actually, I was going to say that you look beautiful. This is the first time I've seen your face. If you didn't approach us, we probably wouldn't have recognized you."

 

 Tenten's compliment caused heat to rise to Lady Mera's cheeks, causing her to become flustered in embarrassment. She diverted her gaze to shield her reaction from them, but it was useless. They had already noticed the princess's flustered state.

 

Seeing the princess in such a state of vulnerability, was somehow pleasing to watch. Even when embarrassed, Lady Mera radiated with an elegance and delicacy that captivated the ninja, preventing them from looking away.

 

"You are too kind. Thank you for the compliment."

 

"You mentioned that you were going to train. Akaru didn't mention that to us. We were told to watch over you. What kind of training do you normally do with him?"

 

"Chakra and physical exercises. Since you are ninja, you would be perfect tutors for helping me hone my skills. He keeps a lesson plan in the training hall. You can go by that. Let's go."

 

Without waiting for a reply,  Lady Mera brushed past them and headed down the hall. Tenten and Neji followed suit as they watched the princess in surprise. No one was more surprised than Neji. He noticed a fire in her step as she walked before them and a sparkle of excitement in her eyes when she gave them instructions. Seeing this expression, triggered his memory of the previous night and the promise she made to him.

 

This new excitement was ignited by her promise to grow stronger. She was determined to be strong enough to defend herself. Neji admired this newfound determination and was interested in seeing where it would lead her.

 

 

 

Present

 

            Looking out into the courtyard, it was hard to tell if the storm even happened. The puddles had nearly evaporated from the surprisingly warm temperature. By noon, only one third of the puddles remained and all droplets were absorbed by the greenery and soil they once decorated.

 

            After his conversation with Guy, Akaru grew even more worried about his cousin's well-being. He did not expect her mood to change a day after receiving such horrible news; but he wanted to help ease the pain as much as he could. He remained close by, keeping an observant eye on his cousin. Lady Mera remained in her room for most of the day and emerged from her quarters once to go sit in the gazebo in the palace's west garden.

 

            Akaru watched her, peering from behind the garden's gate, as she sat wrapping a white robe around her and inhaling its fragrance. She stared into the groves of trees aligning the side of the gazebo, lost in a sort of trance. A tear did not escape her eyes, but it was clear by her blank expression and her disheveled appearance that she was trapped in grief's brutal embrace.

 

            Akaru's heart grew heavy as he watched his cousin in this pitiful state. She seemed almost foreign from the blissful woman, who once danced through the halls as she thought of Neji's return, days ago. Just as the news escaped Guy's lips, he saw the warmth within his cousin extinguish, leaving her a hollow husk of her former self.

 

            He would do anything to ease her pain, but he was powerless. There was nothing he could say or do that would reignite the beauty and warmth within her. Only one person could do that; and he was lost to the world forever.

 

            Akaru entered the garden and walked slowly along the stone path until he stopped beside the gazebo.

 

            "I'm glad to see you've emerged from your room. How are you feeling today?"

 

            Lady Mera did not adjust her gaze. She continued to stare into the groves of trees, entranced by the soft rays decorating their leaves. She was amazed that even though there was such a tumultuous storm, the earth did not reflect any damage. It remained unaffected and just as strong and beautiful as it was prior to the storm.

 

            How she longed to be as resilient as the earth. How she longed to feel the same happiness and hope she felt prior to finding out about Neji's death; but that was impossible. She no longer felt impervious to any obstacles. She felt weaker by every reminder and memory of him. She felt trapped in a constant cycle of darkness and despair.

 

            "Nothing has changed since yesterday. A large part of my heart died the moment Guy announced Neji died. I will never be the same. He was the source of my strength; and without him, I no longer have the will to fight or the will... to go-on."

 

            Fear seized Akaru when he heard his cousin's despairing words. He took the seat next to her and gently took her face in his hand and forced her to meet his gaze.

 

            "Mera, you don't mean that. Do not speak like that ever. Just because Neji's gone doesn't mean you lost hope too. Neji left a very special part of him behind more than the wonderful memories you shared together. He left behind his strength and hope in the form of the powerful bond of love that remains. That won't die with him. He would never allow it."

 

            Mera released herself from her cousin's grasp and turned from him in slight annoyance.

 

            "That bond is nonexistent. It is a myth that died along with Neji. Please leave, dear cousin. I wish to be alone with the few things that give me comfort." Mera tugged onto the robe she was wrapped in and buried half of her face into the fabric as she curled onto the bench and continued staring into the trees.

 

            Akaru bowed his head in compliance and took his leave. He covered his face with his hand as he walked down the stone path, concealing his worry and heartache from any unexpected onlookers. Her words filled him with dread. He feared, if a miracle did not happen soon, he would lose his beloved cousin right after losing his friend.

 

 

 

Past

 

            Neji took the reigns as Mera's training instructor and put Mera through rigorous drills before putting her against Tenten to assess Lady Mera's skills. Mera clashed with the kunoichi several times before she felt her body grow weak from fatigue. Her wooden knife trembled in her hand as Tenten's wooden kunai pressed against Lady Mera's weapon.

 

            Mera trembled under Tenten's strength, and it was clear she would not win this match. Realizing this, Mera pressed harder against Tenten's attacks, trying to turn the tables on the match. She refused to lose, especially not with him watching.

 

            She made a promise to Neji that she would become stronger. She could not lose while he watched her. She had to show him how strong she really was.

 

            She dodged another barrage of Tenten's attacks; but as she stepped out of the way, she felt her legs collapse under her. She gritted her teeth in reaction to the pain of her hitting the training hall's wooden floor. She grasped her ankle for a moment, before looking in the direction of her opponent.

 

            Tenten was inches from her, ready to blow her final strike for the win. Terrified, Mera turned away, closed her eyes, and screamed. The moment her voice resonated in the air, a strange force surrounded Mera; and the moment Tenten hit it, her attack was repelled, and she was propelled across the room.

 

            Neji looked in surprise at this strange occurrence and stared at Mera in disbelief. That strange power what was it. Where did it come from? Could it be the interference from someone outside or did it come from the small princess?

 

 

 

            Grand Lady Anko sat in the library of the east wing of the palace and quietly thumbed through a large book, scanning its contents carefully as she continued. She was so absorbed by it that she did not realize she was no longer alone in the library. The daimyo crossed the vast spans of the library until he came to the area where the Grand Lady sat. He paused for a moment, observing his mother-in-law's actions, before interrupting her.

 

            "I'm sorry to bother you, mother, but I must talk with you before I leave."

 

            After hearing the daimyo's voice, Grand Lady Anko slowly closed the book in her possession and met her son-in-law's gaze.

 

            "Leave? I wasn't aware you had an engagement today."

 

            "Yes. Just a diplomatic meeting with the daimyo of Wind Country. Nothing serious." The daimyo answered.

 

            "I see. So what troubles you, my son?"

 

            "I'm still concerned about the attempted kidnapping of Mera. If it wasn't for that genin, I would have lost my precious daughter."

 

            "Yes, young Hyuga did a great job protecting her." Grand Lady Anko inserted, mulling over the situation.

 

            "I agree. I do not want a repeat of that. Have that ninja guard her personally from now-on. Also, tell Akaru to increase her security detail. I want Mera heavily guarded until this matter is resolved."

 

            "I'm sure Akaru has already seen to it, but I will relay your orders."

 

            "Thank you. Well I must be off. I can't  afford to miss my appointment."

 

            Grand Lady Anko did not respond as she watched her son-in-law rush out of the room. It was hard to tell by looking at him; but it was clear that the events from the previous day were bothering him. Grand Lady Anko knew every appointment on her son-in-law's schedule as daimyo. It was her job as Grand Lady to oversee everything the daimyo did and be an advisor when needed.

 

            Today's meeting was not originally on his schedule, which meant he added it this morning, since she received a copy of his schedule every day. Her son-in-law seemed unaffected by emotional concerns to strangers, but Anko could tell when something bothered him. It was a habit that was subtle to notice, since he camouflaged it with his day to day life, but she noticed it. When he kept preoccupied with random appointments, it was a way for him to escape worrying about his concerns.

 

 

 

Present

 

            After Akaru's encounter with Mera, he went in search for his grandmother to inform her of his cousin's current state of mind. His mind was so preoccupied with worry that he did not notice the time it took for him to locate her whereabouts. He traveled the entire palace grounds, but there was still no sign of the Grand Lady.

 

He paused and scanned the far side of the southeast grounds, until his eyes fell upon two large tree hanging trees. There was one place his grandmother would go, a place where no one would disturb her. Just beyond those trees stood their family's ancestral land, the Palace of the Peach Blossoms. It was the only place his grandmother went for solitude.

 

He crossed the pale peach-colored, wooden bridge on the east side of the grounds slowly as he mulled over things in his mind. It has been a while since he crossed this bridge and entered these sacred grounds. The palace itself was the center of his family's history, but only a few members ever ventured here since it was restricted by his uncle. His grandmother, his late aunt, Mera, and Neji were the only ones who found peace inside the vacant walls of the ancient palace.

 

Before, Akaru could not understand the appeal of spending time in this old relic. But after losing Neji, he felt the healing effects of the palace's tmosphere as soon as he stepped onto the grounds. Even though the Palace of the Peach Blossoms was smaller than the Imperial Palace, it had a peaceful air about it that the main palace could not provide. The groves of peach blossoms surrounding the jade and marble palace and the creek running beside it enhance its tranquil air. By just climbing the stone stairs into the palace, his worries and grief melted away and a calm washed over him for the first time in a while. However, when he entered the palace, that feeling changed.

 

Akaru walked through the tall burgundy gates of the palace cautious of the eerie silence looming over this abandoned relic of his family's past. The wind whistled through the empty corridors, adding a cold draft to the palace's dark ambiance. The dreary atmosphere reminded him of the dark state he found Mera in. His worries and fears returned stronger than they were before as he recalled his earlier encounter with his cousin.

 

Her sorrow and pain robbed her of every bit of her hope, happiness and peace. It was as if all the good Neji brought into her world died with him. Akaru refused to let that happen. He refused to allow Mera's despair destroy what little joy remained of Neji's love. Akaru was determined to save Mera from her grief. He was not sure how he would do it; but he hoped with his grandmother's help they could find a way to save her.

 

 

 

After venturing up several floors of the palace, Akaru arrived at a small poorly lit room in one of the towers of the palace. There, kneeling in the center of the room, was the small, frail silhouette of his grandmother. Her body was draped in long black robes and her head was covered by a dark silk veil while she prayed.

 

"Akaru, you've been searching for me; and by your morbid demeanor, you've encountered Mera."

 

"Yes. I have. She's more worse off than I expected." Akaru stood tall in the shadow of the threshold.

 

"Can you blame her? We know better than anyone of her feelings for Neji. I just fear she doesn't have the strength to overcome this loss on her own."

 

Grand Lady Anko propped herself up and glanced out the window beside her, taking a few deep breaths as she suppressed the pain lurking in her heart. She tried to fight the horrible memories of her heartbroken granddaughter, frozen in darkness and despair.

 

"That concerns me as well. She was saying things and behaving in ways that deeply troubled me. There must be some way we can help her overcome the pain."

 

"Nothing other than prayer and support can help her now. There's nothing else we can do." Anko sighed, wiping a single tear from her cheek.

 

"Prayer would only be useful if it could cause a miracle to happen. And the only miracle that could help Mera now is if it brought Neji back from the grave."

 

There was a long moment of silence before Lady Anko responded. She knew there was truth in her grandson's words; but what he was saying was beyond their grasp.

 

"I agree that seems the only way we could help her, but it's impossible. We must find another way to ease her pain. We cannot lose Mera to her grief."

 

 

 

Past

 

            The impact of the strange force knocked Tenten unconscious and clear across the room. Neji immediately carried her to the meditation room, which was next to the training hall, so she could rest. After he put her gently down on the tatami mats, he went in search for a doctor.

 

            The Imperial Doctor did not waste anytime rushing to the meditation room when he heard Neji mention the princess. He ran ahead with his medical supplies and a handful of aids before Neji could finish telling him about the situation. So, when he arrived at the meditation room and saw Tenten was the patient and not the princess, he could not help but express a look of disappointed and annoyance.

 

            "You do know that I am the Imperial Doctor. You should not have used our princess's name to bring me here. I only tend to the imperial family, not their attendants. We have a normal doctor for staff." The doctor rolled his eyes and turned to leave.

 

            "I was informing you that it was one of the princess's personal guards who was hurt, but you ran ahead before I could finish. You are the only one you need to blame for that mistake. I don't mind getting the normal doctor; but take heed that I will have to report what you just said to Lord Akaru. He assigned us to guard the princess. If this is a common policy, then why didn't he mention it to us before we started training?"

 

            Neji noticed the doctor's face cringe at his words, and he watched as the doctor turned back around and stared him down with slight annoyance and anger. "That is unnecessary. I will examine your friend."

 

            The doctor sent away his aides, before he crossed the room to Tenten's side. He examined her closely for a few moments, while asking Neji routine questions about what caused her current state. Neji responded as vaguely as possible, omitting the true cause of her injury until he could get to the bottom of it himself. By a quick assessment, the doctor ruled Tenten would be fine once she woke up. After hearing the doctor's assessment, Neji felt immediate relief.

 

            Once the doctor finished, he warned them to be more careful and to call him if her condition worsened. The doctor did not wait for Neji's response as he rushed out of the meditation room. With Tenten's condition examined, Neji went in search of Lady Mera to tell her the good news.

 

            Neji returned to the training hall and scanned the vast room, but no one was there. A cool draft brushed across his face, turning Neji's focus towards the sliding doors on the side of the hall. One side of the doors was partially opened. Neji's moved over to the open door and peered out into the east side of the palace.

 

            Tall trees and plants were the only things immediately visible. It was only when he glanced past one of the trees did he notice something at its base. Neji's steps quickened instinctively as he ventured closer to identify what it was.

 

            It did not take long to identify it. There, at the base of the tree, Princess Mera sat curled on top of a small stone bench, hugging her knees to her chest. Her soft cries grew louder as Neji drew near. Seeing Lady Mera in that state, brought him to a halt; his heart sank at the sight of the princess's tears. He did not know why she was crying; but he did know that he wanted to find a way to make her tears stop, so he could see her smile again.

 

 

 

            "Lady Mera, what's wrong?"

 

            At the sound of Neji's voice, Mera turned her head in his direction. When her tear-stained eyes met his gaze, she vigorously wiped her face and averted her gaze.

 

            "I'm sorry, Neji. I didn't mean to hurt Tenten. Please don't be mad at me." Lady Mera curled into her knees and continued to cry.

 

            "I'm not mad at you." Neji moved closer to Mera's side. "So, you were the cause of what happened to Tenten. But how?"

 

            "I don't know how. I've always been able to do things like that since I was little." Mera emerged and met Neji's eyes, shocked by his calm response. "You're not scared of me?"

 

            Neji shook his head, while sitting beside her on the bench. "No. Of course not. I'm a ninja. I'm used to chakra users. I've seen plenty of abilities like yours. But what I don't understand is why you didn't use it to protect yourself yesterday?"

 

            Mera turned from Neji and stared into the bushes across from them and sighed.

 

            "I can't use my powers whenever I want. That's why Akaru started these training lessons. He thinks if I'm able to control my chakra, then I can command my abilities whenever I want. But I don't want to learn how to control it. I just want it to go away."

 

            "Why? That's such a useful ability. You can use it as a tool to grow stronger."

 

            "This power has done nothing but isolate me from others. I can't afford that as the heir to the daimyo."

 

            "I don't understand. How did it isolate you?" Neji asked curious of the darkness and sadness lurking behind her words.

 

            "Because of these powers, I've never been able to have friends and even those who I love the most have shielded me from other people because of my powers. If I'm to rule the fire country one day, I must be able to interact with and understand my people. I cannot be daimyo if I'm hidden in the shadows." Mera held on tighter to her knees as she met Neji's gaze once more. "This power is a nuisance and a weakness. I will never grow  stronger as long as I have it."

 

            Neji's expression softened with understanding. "I understand why you can feel that way about your powers. But I disagree. I believe that they can make you a stronger leader not a weaker one."

 

            Neji raised his hand to prevent Mera from interrupting him as he explained his reasoning.

 

            "Your powers scare you and others, because you can't control them. However, if you learned how to control them, they will grow, and you will become a stronger leader as they do. You will use them to protect the people of this country; and in turn, they will be thankful to you for doing so."

 

            "Besides, if you really want to understand the people of this country, you will need to learn to empathize with them using your heart, not your power. Once this situation is settled, you should go out and get to know the people of this country by helping them as Mera, and not the heir to the daimyo."

 

            Lady Mera stared at Neji in awe of his words and manner. Aside from her grandmother and cousin, no one else treated her like this. Her father treated her like a dangerous weapon that needed to be concealed from the world for everyone's safety. Her stepmother treated her like a monster because of her power. And the noble children avoided her like a plague after rumors spread about her strange powers, after a mishap she had with the children from the most influential noble families at her sixth birthday party.

 

            Neji was the first person in a while to understand her or at least try to understand her. His words were demanding, but wise and encouraging. It was as if he could feel what she felt, but he was able to see past the obstacles of fear and doubt that plagued her and help her reach a solution.

 

            Neji noticed Mera's silence and the strange way  she stared at him. The way her amethyst eyes observed him caused his whole body to tremble with uncertainty and his cheeks to become flustered. He was not sure of the cause of his strange behavior; but he quickly averted his gaze to prevent Mera from noticing. He rose from the bench and started down the path towards the training hall. But before he went too far, he called the princess over his shoulder.

 

            "Let's go. Tenten has probably already woken up and is looking for us. Besides, you won't grow stronger sitting here crying all day."

 

            Mera felt her sadness melt away and swiftly turn into annoyance in response of his words. She reluctantly gathered herself and followed behind him. However, a different feeling accompanied her brief annoyance towards Neji, one filled with warmth and gratitude.

 

            It was an unfamiliar, nameless feeling that made her long for him to remain her side. She longed to feel the happiness she felt when she spoke with him and when she was near him every day. This feeling made her realize: if she wanted to grow stronger, then she needed Neji to remain by her side.

 

 

 

            Akaru and Guy spent many long hours trying to learn what they could from the assailants. However, they would not reveal a thing. Even though they were rather easy to capture, it was almost impossible for his men to break them. So, after hours of no success, Akaru reluctantly called in his special interrogator, Latia.

 

            His hesitation to call in Latia was not because of her personally; but because of her methods of extracting information. She was the best out of his interrogators, because she got results faster than anyone else. However, she had a history of using strange methods that left prisoners in prolonged states of mental instability.

 

            Akaru was unaware of the type of methods she used; but he preferred to only use her in cases of urgency. Akaru paced back and forth in his office as he waited with Guy for Latia to report her findings. Guy watched his friend's nervous behavior in slight amusement, because he knew what caused it. He lounged on the couch across from Akaru, suppressing his urge to laugh.

 

            "Ten years have passed and you are still cautious of Latia and her skills. You need to calm down. She's a professional by lineage and practice. You gave her your instructions, and she will follow them to the letter."

 

            Akaru paused and glared at Guy for a moment before letting out an audible exhale and plopping into the armchair adjacent to the couch and covering his face with his palm.

 

            "I guess you're right. But there's something about that girl that makes me nervous. We'll just have to wait and find out."

 

            Guy glanced at the clock on the wall and threw his arms behind his head.

 

            "It's been almost an hour. Given Latia's track record, she should be done soon. Just be patient."

 

           

 

            Three long hours passed without any sign of Latia. Akaru could feel his anxiousness growing by each passing moment. He understood the time needed to extract information varied depending on the skill and will of the prisoner; but he needed to know their motives behind yesterday's attack. If it wasn't for the Hyuga boy, Akaru could have lost Mera. They might have lost even more if they didn't drive their accomplices away. But why did they do it? What was their goal?

 

            The culprits and their accomplices did not steal any of the expensive belongings the members of the family possessed. Mera alone was wearing one of the most expensive treasures from their family vault; yet the piece was retrieved without a stone missing or a chain out of place. So, what was their purpose?

 

            "That was exactly what I was wondering before I began my interrogation."

 

            The sound of a woman's voice caused  Akaru to snap out of his thoughts and turn towards the doorway. There standing in the threshold was a beautiful woman adorned in form-fitting, silk lilac robes. By just looking at her, any man would find themselves helpless in her presence. Her heart-shaped face was hidden behind her dark sapphire hair. Embedded in her deep olive skin were two entrancing gray eyes that sent shivers down the spines of even the most disciplined men. 

 

            When her gaze met Akaru's, he felt his body tense slightly, yet not out of pleasure but out of anxiousness for what she discovered.

 

            "Latia, I've told you many times not to invade my thoughts." Akaru scolded.

 

            Latia blushed slightly and covered with a small, lilac fan. She bowed her head slightly in apology. "I'm sorry, my lord. It's a habit."

 

            "Fine. If you are here, then you found something from the prisoners?"

 

            "Of course, I have. But you won't be pleased what I have to report." The emotion in Latia's voice vanished as she spoke those words. She closed her fan and gracefully walked into the office, closing the door behind her.

 

            "Just tell us what you found." Akaru commanded in slight irritation at her hesitation.

 

            "Your thoughts were on the right track. Those men were not there to rob your family, nor were they mere criminals. They are highly-trained ninja who were hired to abduct a member of your family."

 

            "Abduct? But who was their target?" Guy asked stricken with concern.

 

            "The one they almost successfully captured if it wasn't for your prodigy, our beloved princess, Lady Mera."

 

            "So, they are after Mera after all..." Akaru felt his blood run cold and his heart stop for a moment at this revelation. He had a feeling that it was a possibility, but he did not expect anyone would be bold enough to try. He gathered his mind for a moment, banishing all fear until he found out why. "Did you find out their motive? Why are they after her?"

 

            Latia shook her head. "No. These ninjas were only hired to kidnap her. None of them are even high ranking enough to know the complete details of the contract." Latia opened her fan and fluttered it slowly as she thought briefly of their current predicament. "However, I was able to find the location of their base. We might find something there if we raid it."

 

            "An interesting plan. However, it's a shot in the dark. It's been over 24 hours since they failed their mission and had two members captured. They probably vacated the area already." Guy informed, observing Akaru carefully for a sign of what his next move would be.

 

            "You have a good point. But I doubt they took everything with them. Besides, Latia's ability might come in handy. She just needs to be in the exact area that they stayed in to pick up any information we can't find by a physical search. My main concern is Mera."

 

            Akaru exhaled as he mulled over his growing thoughts and concerns. "If we commence a search, then I will have less men available to increase Mera's protection detail. I don't think our regular guards will fare well against trained ninja. We might need more help from the Hidden Leaf Village. I will inform my uncle and grandmother about Latia's findings and my concerns."

 

"So, what are your orders for me and my team until you do that?" Guy asked. 

 

            "I want your team to remain by her side at all times. I need you to accompany me when I inform my uncle and grandmother. They will want your input on how to proceed."

 

           

 

Present

 

            After hours of praying in the ancestral palace, Grand Lady Anko finally returned to her chambers in the main palace after the full moon was high in the sky. Her body and mind were weary from age and the events that had transpired. She prayed her daughter, Nara, would keep Neji company, while also giving her guidance on how she could help her granddaughter.

 

            Times like these were when Anko missed Nara the most. Her daughter was so kind and light-hearted, but she was wise beyond her years. She was the only person Mera opened her heart to, aside from Neji. Now, with both gone, Mera was shutting everyone out and sealing her heart from anyone who cared about her. If Lady Anko did not find a way to reach her, she might lose her granddaughter forever.

 

           

 

            When Lady Anko entered her quarters, she noticed the door to her sitting room was cracked open and the light was on. She cautiously approached the sitting room. Fear entered her mind for a moment then faded, when she grew closer to the room. It was too late for servants to be in her chambers. But she also knew that anyone with malicious intent would not do something as foolish as leaving the light on.

 

            She peered into the room to discover who or what was in her chambers. To her surprise, her visitor was someone she never expected, her son-in-law, the daimyo. He stood by the bookshelves on the far side of the room thumbing through her photo albums. All emotion faded from his face.

 

            "I'm surprised to see you here, son. What brings you to my chambers this late in the night?"

 

            The sound of Lady Anko's voice interrupted the daimyo's thoughts. He immediately shut the album and drew his attention towards the door.

 

            "Mother, I'm sorry to disturb you this late, but I couldn't sleep."

 

            "I think sleepless nights will plague us all for a while. Sit, my son. Tell me what's troubling you, and maybe it will help relieve some of your stress."

 

            The daimyo placed the album back on the bookshelf, and then sat in a chair beside Lady Anko. Lady Anko could tell by his behavior that there was a lot on his mind. He covered his face with his hand and slouched back in the chair.  His body trembled slightly as he spoke.

 

            "I'm no fool. I've known for a while how close my daughter and Neji were; so, I knew the moment I heard the news that she would not take it well. I want to see her; but my words never seem to reach her. Especially, after all I've done in the past. I know you've probably checked on her by now. Please tell me how she is."

 

            Lady Anko sighed as she recalled the events of that day.

 

            "This is the second night since we received news of Neji's death. We cannot expect her to overcome the shock in such little time. But yes, you are right. I've seen her. She's worse off than I feared. I doubt she can overcome this tragedy on her own."

 

            The daimyo's eyes widened in reaction to his mother-in-law's words. "Do you think the loss of Neji will trigger her ability, like when her mother died?"

 

            Anko's eyes widened in fear when she remembered the aftermath of her daughter's death. It was only a few years before they met Neji; but that time brought about the darkest time in the castle's history.

 

            "It's possible. But you are worried about that ability, the one Nara used. Then my answer is no. I doubt she can."

 

            "There is no possibility she can awaken it in desperation while she is engulfed by her grief?" Mera's father questioned his worry growing by every trembling word that escaped his lips.

 

            "I don't know for sure. But I highly doubt she can. That ability cannot be used without a special incantation on a parchment sealed far away from her reach. She doesn't know where it is and can't reach it even if she did. So, there's no need to worry." Lady Anko placed her hand on his arm in consolation.

 

            "Maybe you are right." The daimyo touched his mother's hand, before rising and walking to the door. But before his foot stepped over the threshold, he turned back to Lady Anko.

 

            "Please keep an eye on Mera. I lost her mother to that power. I refuse to lose my daughter too."