Episode 4: Conflict between Duty and Desire

Memories of the Prodigy

Present

The days slowly ticked away since they told the Imperial family about Neji’s death. Most of the family seemed to take the news well; except for the heir of the daimyo, Lady Mera. Since she heard the news, Princess Mera hadn’t left her quarters and refused to see anyone, except for her personal servants, who brought her meals and cleaned her quarters. And even when they did their duties, Lady Mera didn’t acknowledge or talk to them, unless to give them an order.

Worried about the princess’s state, Team Guy was ordered to stay at the palace until she overcame her depression. This order, given by the grand lady, was done in the hopes that Lee or Tenten could somehow help Lady Mera because of how close they were. As the days turned to weeks, there seemed to be no solution to this mission. With Mera isolating herself from the rest of the world, Tenten and Lee couldn’t do anything to move forward in their goal.

 

Unable to reach the princess, Lee, Guy and Tenten had to come up with other ways to occupy time. Their stay at the palace was comfortable. They had a beautiful residence in the guest quarters next to the princess’s wing. They were given free range of the palace and could do whatever they wanted, so most of the time they went off on their own.

Guy spent most of his time with Akaru helping with his duties as the head of the Imperial guard. Lee frequented the training hall and sparred with some of the top officers of the guard. Tenten, on the other hand, didn’t do much but wander around the palace or join Lee in training. There wasn’t much she could or want to do. She was too worried about Mera’s current mental state. She knew the moment they told the princess the news that she wouldn’t take it well.

Even though their team protected her as a group, Neji spent more time as the princess’s guard than any of them. He possessed a strange sense of duty towards protecting her, which drove him to her side many times even after he was promoted to jonin. Tenten was amazed by the news floating around each of his accomplishments and the possibility of him assuming a more permanent high-ranking role in the Imperial guard under Akaru. Supposedly, he was going to take it after the war ended.

Tenten was excited when she heard of his possible promotion; but she felt somewhat disappointed as well. She knew Neji was the favorite among the Imperial family since their first mission at the palace; but she wanted an opportunity like that as well. She wanted the chance to protect the princess too.

Even though they didn’t spend much time together at first, Tenten always respected Lady Mera. She sympathized with her circumstances, even though she never had to deal with similar responsibilities. She saw how hard the princess tried to change and break from the fragile image everyone had of her. She understood in her own way how difficult it could be to try to change other’s preset judgments while trying to prove your uselessness.

Tenten watched Lee as he sparred one of the generals. She couldn’t understand how both Lee and Guy could remain so calm and seemingly unphased. When Lee sat beside her, he was calm and relaxed.

“How can you act like that?”

“Like what?” Lee asked surprised.

“Calm and unbothered… Aren’t you concerned about Mera at all?”

Lee’s smile faded making his expression serious and unreadable.

“I am. But there’s nothing I can do to help her?”

“Are you sure? I knew telling her would affect her because her and Neji were very close, but I didn’t expect her to react like this. She barely eats and isolates herself from everyone. It’s not good for her or the people of the country.”

“I’m not surprised by her reaction. I knew how highly respected the Imperial family treated Neji. He spent more time with them than we did. And most of the time, he was guarding Mera. It’s not unbelievable they formed a close bond and even a friendship after a tenure like that. So, what could we do? Without giving her what she wants, Neji, we can’t do much.”

“I guess you’re right,” Tenten slumped down and hugged her legs to her chest. She desperately wanted to help her friend, but Lee was right. There was nothing they could do without Neji.

Lee saw how disheartened Tenten was and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“Time is the only thing that can help her now. All we can do is wait for her to allow us to help her. Until then let’s enjoy our time here. Weren’t you the one who wanted to know how it felt to live in the palace? Well, you’re here now. Enjoy it.”

Tenten looked at Lee. His large smile eased the pain and concern inside her. He was right. For now, she’d wait until Mera was ready to let them in.

 

Past

After realizing the new dangers and their actual target of their enemy, Akaru called a meeting with Latia, team Guy, Grand Lady Anko, the royal advisor, the head of security and Lady Mera to discuss how they should move forward to assure Lady Mera’s safety. They gathered in the grand hall in his wing of the palace. He sat at the head of the table with the palace officials on one side and his grandmother, cousin and team Guy on the other side.

When everyone settled into their seats, Akaru began explaining the current situation.

“Akaru hours of interrogation, my team has discovered the assailants who interrupted the festival were after Lady Mera. If it wasn’t for Hyuga-boy, they would’ve succeeded. We were able to extract the location out of them, but that’s it.”

Everyone was silent but not surprised in the least. Lady Anko didn’t react, she remained poise and undisturbed.

“Is there a way to extract more information from the prisoners?” Lady Anko asked. “And what security measures are you taking?”

“I suggest we swap out my team for jonin, because this mission is too dangerous and complicated for genin. Jonin would be better equipped to protect the princess from a threat like this,” Guy input.

“No! I refuse to be guarded by strangers!” Lady Mera slammed her hands on the table, stood up and glared at her cousin.

“Mera, please be reasonable and think about what’s best for your safety,” Lady Anko pleaded.

“I am thinking reasonably. I want team Guy to guard me. Akaru can recruit the jonin to assist with the investigation, but I won’t have them replace them.”

“If that’s what the princess wants, then my team will stay,” Guy agreed reluctantly.

“Fine. I will authorize an order to recruit more ninja to assist and send the prisoners to the Hidden Leaf Village for further interrogation. I will send some men with Guy to help with the transport of the prisoners.”

With those words, the meeting was finished and Akaru sent Guy to oversee the arrangements for transport. Akaru waited until everyone left before he pulled Neji to the side to speak with hm privately. Akaru pulled him into one of the empty rooms and made sure no one else was around to hear them.

“Hyuga-boy, I need your help,” Akaru began.

“Anything just ask me,” Neji responded, eager to be of any kind of help to catch the people trying to kidnap Lady Mera.

“Mera listens to you I need you to convince her it’s better if her protection detail is replaced with jonin.”

Neji paused for a moment before responding dryly. “I’ll try but doubt I’ll make a difference.”

 

Present

The sky turned a murky gray, hiding the sun behind its depressing shield and dusting the corridor in thick shadows. Tenten curled up on the cold, hard wooden floor in front of Mera’s room staring out the arch overlooking a small plaza. In the center of the plaza was a square patch of green grass that grew wildly around a small tree with a thick, twisted trunk that grew upward to long curving branches intertwining with one another.

This tree had been here for as long as she could remember. She remembered it different from the frail, barren wooden frame standing in front of her. It used to be full of lush, dark green leaves and vibrant pink flowers. It was so full of life. It brought happiness to all those around it, just like him.

No matter where she looked, there was always something reminding her of his absence and the void he left. His presence was so radiant and strong. Everyone relied on him to sustain them with happiness. The evidence was everywhere from the staff to Mera and even possibly this tree. Was it possible it felt the effect of Neji’s death or Mera’s sadness and refused to bloom again? Or was it reflecting Mera’s heart?

 

While Tenten waited outside Mera’s room hoping she’d come out, she didn’t notice Akaru standing in the hall watching the sad display. He appreciated Tenten’s dedication to his cousin but was afraid her concern would overshadow her own well-being. He couldn’t let her over exhaust herself for Mera’s sake. Mera wouldn’t want that.

Akaru walked closer to her and spoke gently.

“What are you doing on the floor?”

Tenten broke out of her thoughts and looked surprised at the sudden newcomer. She stood to her feet, fixed herself then responded.

“I’m waiting for Mera to come out. I don’t know what else I can do to help her; so, I want her to know someone is outside waiting to console her and help her if she needs it.”

Akaru’s eyes softened in understanding as he smiled.

“You don’t need to do that. Even though your intentions are noble, that would be a foolish action. It will be a while before she’s ready to come out. She needs to find the strength to take that step on her own.”

“Then, what can I do to help her? I hate that Mera’s suffering in there by herself, and I’m helpless and can’t do anything to ease her pain. I want to do anything to help my friend… anything,” Tenten looked away in frustration as hot tears threatened to fall.

“I understand. But for now, you just have to wait and believe Mera will reach out to you on her own.”

Tenten shook her head in agreement and wiped her face.

“What should I do in the meantime?”

“You have to deal with your own grief,” Akaru answered.

“But how?” Tenten asked searching for answers.

“Start by joining me on an outing,” Akaru replied gently.

“To where?” Tenten asked.

“That’s a secret,” Akaru winked playfully and guided her away from Mera’s room.

 

Past

The stress of everything going on around her weighed on Mera’s mind. She was used to others making important decisions for her; and she believed Akaru only made decisions for her best interests. But she refused to bend to these orders. She understood how serious the current threat was, but she couldn’t let them send Team Guy back and bring in complete strangers.

Mera only knew Team Guy for a short time but already respected them and felt safer with them. She couldn’t imagine feeling the same around someone else.

Kneeling at the grand gold and silver altar in the center of Imperial Temple on the large hill in the far side of the southwest palace grounds, Mera tried to forget all her anxiety; but as she watched Lee and Neji circle around the perimeter while Tenten followed behind her a few feet fiddling with her scrolls, her concerns beat against the inside of her head. She hoped being here could bring her peace, but it did the opposite.

Mera closed her eyes, clasped her hands together and bowed her head. Then she spoke to Tenten.

“Tenten, do you know where we are and why this place is farther than the others on the grounds?”

Tenten dropped her scrolls and fixed them around her hip. “No. I don’t. Why?” she answered.

Mera opened her eyes and looked at the gold and silver statuettes lining the walls and smiled.

“This is a sacred place where my mother and ancestors live.”

“Where they live?” Tenten looked around cautiously. “What do you mean?”

“This place protects the entrance to their tombs. This is the prayer room. I come here when I feel lost. This might seem ridiculous; but, being here, makes me feel closer to my mother and brings me solace,” replied Mera.

“That doesn’t sound ridiculous at all. We all have a place like this we go to when we feel overwhelmed,” answered Tenten.

“Do you have a place like this?” Mera asked looking back at Tenten and watching her as she glanced over the room with a heartwarming smile.

“Yes. I feel like that whenever I’m with my team. No matter how I feel, being around them always makes me feel at ease,” Tenten responded.

“I understand how you feel. I feel that way too,” Mera said partially to herself. Then, she smiled sheepishly at Tenten. “Sorry about knocking you out during training.”

“Don’t worry about it. It’s my fault for pushing you too hard. I only wish I remembered how you beat me.”

Relief washed over Mera. “I’m glad she’s all right. I hope you will spar with again to help me grow stronger.”

Tenten smiled and gave her thumbs up. “I’ll help you in any I can. I promise.”

 

After Lee and Neji surveyed the surrounding area, they returned with a satisfied look on their faces. They talked amongst themselves for a moment before Neji turned his attention towards the girls with a serious expression.

“Lady Mera, may I speak with you alone?” Neji asked.

Mera looked surprised by Neji change in mood but nodded acknowledging his request. Lee motioned for Tenten to follow him. She snuck around Neji looking back at Mera concerned. Mera flashed a gentle, unbothered smile to dispel Tenten’s worry.

But the moment the temple doors shut Mera’s concern returned tenfold.

“Neji, what’s wrong?”

“Princess, please reconsider being protected by jonin instead of us. It’s the best assurance of your safety,” Neji replied coldly.

“No! I refuse to have total strangers surrounding me!” Mera protested.

“Lady Mera, stop this!” Neji glared at the princess with an authoritative tone.

“I won’t! Why are you making me agree to this?” Mera shook her head defiantly letting her tears fall down her face.

Neji didn’t change his resolve and focused on his task.

“Because it’s the wisest measure,” Mera looked up at Neji her amethyst eyes glowing with disbelief.

“Is that really why? Or is it just you can’t wait to leave me?”

Neji tensed and looked away from her. He balled his hand into a fist shaking as he tried to hold back his true feelings.

“No. That’s not it. I don’t want to go until I’m positive you’ll be safe without me.”

 

Present

Akaru brought Tenten to the far side of the Imperial City where a large, stone gate surrounded a small wooden castle in the center of a forest of barren trees. Akaru parked the carriage at the gate and led Tenten down the long, empty stone path.

Tenten lagged as he guided her inside the vacant building wondering why they were here.

“This is Rona castle,” Akaru stopped in the center of the large garden in the core of the palace. “The cherry blossom festival used to take place on these grounds during the time of my ancestors, but the groves became barren when my aunt was young. They were going to uproot the trees and plant new ones, but my aunt stopped them. She believed the trees weren’t dead just sleeping and would bloom more beautiful than ever when the time came.”

“That’s beautiful. Have they ever bloomed again?”

Akaru shook his head. “No. But she never stopped believing they would. My aunt brought my siblings, cousin and I here, because she believed these groves would become vibrant and thriving like in her youth once they witnessed the right miracle. She made us promise that we’d protect this place until that day. And no matter how ridiculous her request sounded, we agreed.”

“It’s not ridiculous to have faith in that. Anything is possible,” replied Tenten looking around the barren land.

“You’re right. That’s why I trusted her deeply and did whatever my aunt asked,” Akaru watched Tenten smiling warmly. “I even relinquished my claim as heir to my father’s country when she asked me to protect my cousin just so I could become a part of her personal guard.”

Akaru strolled through the canopy of barren branches and touched one of them gazing at the cold wood.

“I understand your desire to want to help Mera overcome her grief more than anyone else. It kills me to see her pain, but I know there’s nothing I can do. I’m terrified, because I believe without Neji Mera may never recover.”

“You’re wrong and underestimating her strength. She might be in pain now, but Mera will overcome this. She is more resilient than anyone I’ve ever met. As long as her people and country need her, Mera will conquer her despair to protect and guide them.”

 

Past

Akaru sat at his desk reviewing his draft of the message Guy sent to the hidden leaf village regarding the new orders when Neji entered. He didn’t wait for Akaru to invite him. Instead, he stood in front of Akaru with a stern expression as he stared at him.

“Hyuga-boy, how did it go? Did you convince her?” Akaru pressed.

“No. I failed,” Neji didn’t wait for Akaru’s response as he continued. “But I think it’s for the best if we stay and protect her.”

“Why do you think that?” Akaru asked.

“Because my team is familiar with Lady Mera and the enemy. She feels safer with us and will be at ease with us around,” Neji placed his fist over his heart as he stared down Akaru. “I promise to defend her until my last breath.”

  1. didn’t reply as he met Neji’s gaze. The courage radiating from his eyes wasn’t tied to any sense of duty but something deeper. If Akaru didn’t know better, he’d think the noble, Hyuga-boy was starting to fall for the heir of the fire nation.