At eighteen..

Crossing the Line (GFRIEND shots)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            D-21 (21 days before the first snowfall)

 

            The age of 18. 

 

     The adults usually say that at this age we laugh at the simplest things… But, at that time, at that age, for Yerin, they were serious about what is happening in their lives and their relationship with the people around them. This is also the time we get to be serious either in our hobbies, on the things we wanted to do, or in our studies. Well, at that time, we can say, we were finally taking more grasp of the reality.

 

          Reality?

 

            Yes, definitely, Yerin had taken more grasp of it. And, at the same time, she accepted what her real self is -- who she really is. 

 

 

 

 

            June and August.

 

 

            As far as Yerin remembers, those were the months when they started puberty. She thought, they had definitely changed, either physically, emotionally, and on some other factors.  A lot has happened. And she knows that at that age, she first started to get to know this feeling. She went through a lot of rollercoaster rides because of these-so-called "feelings". Her life became more exciting, more interesting - more colorful. Probably , because aside from the good, almost straight road she's taking, there were now turns, either abruptly or not, and ups and downs.

             And, of course, perhaps the most important thing is that she is with that someone. To be homest, she also tried to deny these feelings, but at the end, she decided to just confirm and accept it…

 

 

 

            Because, at eighteen she found her heart beating crazily for someone.

 

 

            She is now 20 this year. Two years had passed already. And, right now, she’s wearing a big brown jacket, long enough that it reaches her thighs just above the knee, as she walks her way back home. She’s going home late because she happened to have a lot of paperwork for the upcoming event of their school – that is, something sort of a celebration for the ending of the semester and finally the coming of the winter break.

 

            She smiled once she remembered the winter. She’s so excited to see the first snow fall. Not that that’s her favorite season, but because she knows there's a certain person that is looking forward for it. Perhaps, she is too. And talking about favorite, probably she would choose Spring, as childish as it may be, the reason is that because her heart beats towards  that someone whose birthday is on the late spring or perhaps its early summer, she still hasn't confirmed that. But, the real reason why she is so excited about this coming winter is because she would finally step up, bring out her courage, and confess to that someone.

 

 

             It's time. 

 

 

             Arriving at their house, she washed up and went to her room to sleep. However, she cannot sleep and she doesn’t know why. And, in an effort to make herself go into slumber, her mind drifted to that year – that year when things started to change in her perspective.

 

 

--------------------------

 

 

 

            The next day…

 

 

     “Ya! [Hey!] Have you seen the new magazine? Gfriend is in there!” A girl with brown hair and blond streaks extensions loudly said, as she sat excitedly on her designated seat in their classroom.

 

     Her friend hummed. “Yes, I saw it, just the cover though. Maybe, I’ll get my hands on it once Dad has done reading it.”

 

     The tall girl beside her nodded in agreement, “You sure are blessed Umji-ah. You’re dad has subscriptions for those magazines so you get to have all of those magazines directly delivered in your house.”

 

     “And we are too! Since we got Umji, we basically have subscription too. " SinB said. "Ya! [Hey] Let me see it after you’ve done reading it. They said almost all of the pages are filled with Gfriend.” The loud girl added, excitedly telling it to Umji.

     “Sinb-ah, why don’t we just go to my house later?” Umji suggested to the girl in front of her, getting all excited about this new magazine. 

     “Sure! No problemo!” SinB answered, filled with enthusiasm.

     “How about you Yuju-unnie?”

     “I’m sorry.  I can’t. My family is going somewhere later and I have to be there. You know, family time.” Said the tall girl beside Umji. “Anyway, SinB, please control yourself, you’re being too loud again.” Yuju commented, looking at the front door of their classroom, to check if there’s a professor around.

     “Seriously, I don’t get why some people called you ‘Ice Princess’ when you’re always full of energy … Yuju sighed, slowly shaking her head as she brings out her notebook. 

     “Well, we can see the trace of that Ice Princess on her face though.” Said, Umji,  while doing what is the girl beside her doing too.

     “Ya! Stop that Omuji!” the other said back, before fixing her seat since the bell had rung.

 

     A poke on her left shoulder made SinB turn her head to the back again. 

     “What?” She whispered.

     “Did you do the math homework?” Umji whispered back, lowering her head towards her table so the professor won’t see her.

     She was answered by the girl, which is just a month older than her, with a shrug of her shoulder and a shake with her head. 

 

          “What unnie?! Why?” The other asked in surprised. “That’s a first for you. What happened last night?”

           “She went home late… the dance practice ended up late. And, I bet she’s so tired that she fell asleep on my bed, once she arrived and washed up. I actually sleep on her bed since she’s on my bed already.” That's Eunha explaining what happened.

          “Aigoo. My poor Eunha-unnie.” Yuju said, patting the girl’s head, sitting in front of her. 

          Eunha giggled by the gesture Yuju is doing before she speaks. 

 

          “So, the model student didn’t do her homework. I wonder how would the prof react since this is a first.” Eunha stated calmly, while giving the girl beside her, her notebook. “Umji should have asked earlier so you can copy it. But, try to just do it fast.” She added, gesturing her to copy the answers.

 

          However, SinB didn’t accept it. “I won’t cheat unnie. Just let the prof do what she wants. There’s a way anyway”, she said, winking at her three friends with the eye she’s comfortable most at doing a wink.

 

          “Yuju unnie, your everyday speech.” Umji hinted, getting the attention of her friends. Yuju quickly understand and looked apologetically to SinB before she stands up from her seat.

 

          “Attention. Bow.” The president of the class said, which is actually Yuju, making them properly seat and bow to the teacher as they chorused,“ I will be a good student.” Though that one sentence made SinB grimace as she remembers what she will do later since she didn’t have her homework.

 

               Her eyes widened when she saw their professor going around, checking if all of them did their homework. She lowered her head. Why would she do it at this time? She rarely checks anyway. She immediately thought thinking of ways to avoid the coming punishment and tainting her ‘model student’ image that she has.

 

     A tap of a stick on her table interrupted her thoughts abruptly. 

     “Hwang Eunbi-ssi, where’s your homework?”

 

     She looked up and saw their prof smirking. Yes, this prof doesn’t like her. And so, this professor might be feeling a little happy for catching ‘the Hwang Eunbi’ without her homework. Finally, she’s been able to have the opportunity to destroy her.

 

     “Wow, the Hwang Eunbi, or ‘the SinB’ didn’t have her homework. What should I do?” She commented sarcastically. “I guess you’re pretty normal too, just like the others. What crap are they doing, saying you’re extraordinary, and, as you’re nickname says… you’re ‘mysterious’ for being able to do everything easily.” The professor mocked her more, probably waiting for SinB to snap. 

 

     But, she didn’t. 

 

     “I have my reasons, Miss Kim. I always do my homework and now is just an exception. Unfortunately, I can’t do it because a friend of mine borrowed the book since she lost hers.” SinB answered calmly that some of her classmates thought she’s cool for doing that, adding another charm and probably another news that would circulate and be the topic of the students in the school again.

 

     She smiled, smelling her triumph over the professor. But, that was interrupted by Miss Kim who is not backing down. “What’s her name? I’d ask her now if that’s true.”

 

     Murmurs erupt in the room. 

Seriously? Miss Kim would do that?

Come on. She’s renowned as one of the SinB haters. You don’t know?

Ugh. Here she goes again. Can we just knock her down so she won’t disturbed SinB-ssi?

 

     Those are just some of the murmurs that were clearly intercepted by almost all of people in the room, including the professor.

 

     “Quiet!” Miss Kim’s voice reverberated in the room. “I’ll make sure to all of you that SinB, here, is just making excuses.” She said, raising her head.

 

     “What’s your friend’s name?”

 

               SinB sighed upon hearing the repeated question. She’s now regretting of making up excuses when she can just say that she really haven’t, at least, that’s just news of her getting punishment and not more big of a news like, SinB lied just to not get a punishment.

 

               Actually, she doesn’t care about her image getting ruined. However, she’s thinking of the other people that would be affected by this, especially her friends and family who would be worried for her. She swallowed and prepared herself for the upcoming disaster. That is, before a name pops on her mind – the name of her bestfriend who is taking the same subject, though she’s a year above theirs.

 

               “Jung Yerin.” She said, making her voice sound as sure as possible, though she’s crossing her fingers imaginarily – hoping that Yerin would save her.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

               “Jung Yerin.” The professor called out in the Fourth Year’s room where Yerin is.

               “Yes?” the blonde girl answered, standing up, and bowing her head as a respect to the professor.

               “May you come out for a while? I need to ask something, right now.”

 

               Yerin nodded and went out of the room, following the professor. Though, the professor didn’t told her why and where they are going, she somehow figured it out since they are now going to the direction of the third year’s row of classrooms. 

 

               She sighed. SinB? What happened? Or Eunha? Yuju? Don’t tell me it’s Umji. She won’t do troubles.

 

             The questions swarming in her mind are soon answered by the professor once she opened the door of the classroom, which is familiar to her since she’s usually there too to see her four friends. Once she saw SinB standing in front of her seat, she already knows what is happening..

 

     Now, what did 'Hwang Eun Bi' do? She thought while thinking of other possibilities since SinB is sometimes a troublemaker, though it’s not that big enough that a professor would fetch the Student Council President, which is Yerin, herself. Also, SinB is also famous for being a ‘good’ student besides the crazy and goofy things she does, which also made a lot of people love her.

 

               “Jung Yerin-ssi, tell me the truth. Did Miss Hwang Eun Bi here lend her Math book to you?” The professor interrogated her in front of the classroom. “Apparently, she didn’t do her homework. And, as a student council president of this school you should know what to do. Speak honestly.” She added.

 

               Yerin smiled. Oh, this professor is at her game again? Why wouldn't she leave SinB alone? She’s not checking the homeworks anyway and is just taking this opportunity to ruin her. 

 

               “Yes, she did. I lost my Math book and I haven’t bought a new one yet. It’s my fault that she can’t do her homework. I promis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter