seven

We Fill in Each Other's Blanks

They had the whole table for themselves. Jun, Seokmin, and Hansol were having their lunch in the classroom so it was only Wonwoo and Minghao. No other students dared to come to their table. It’s been almost a week since Minghao got back to school and people were colder compared to before Minghao was suspended. Minghao didn’t seem affected though. Or maybe he was, but tried not to let it show. Wonwoo would never know for sure. What’s important was that Minghao was here, talking to him, laughing at his lame jokes. Minghao didn’t choose to be alone anymore.

Minghao’s smile, however, froze in the middle of their conversation. Before Wonwoo could even turn his head and see the reason, Mingyu plopped down on the seat next to him.

“Hey,” he said as he laid his lunchbox on the table. Somewhat surprised, Wonwoo replied with a short hum. Minghao kept his jaws shut tight.

The air around them obviously changed. Students buzzing what must be about Kim Mingyu, the school’s student council secretary, frequenter of top 5 exam result ranking, and one of the most sought heartthrob in 11th grade, just sat down at the same table with Xu Minghao and his quiet friend.

Despite the stares and whispers, Mingyu just kept bringing food into his mouth. Although his tensed shoulders told Wonwoo that Mingyu was at least aware of the attention focused on him.

“Kim Mingyu.” After moments of being silent, Minghao finally spoke up. “Are you in your right mind?” He had his forehead scrunched and lips pursed into a tight knot, but his eyes didn’t show anger as Minghao probably wanted to display. Wonwoo had seen that look before. In fact, he’d seen it in Mingyu when the latter visited Minghao’s house the other day; scared and worried.

Mingyu didn’t look up from his lunch. “My grades aren’t falling. My mind is as sharp and bright as ever.”

Minghao’s jaws tensed. “You’re sitting here.”

It was then when Mingyu looked up. He looked at Minghao, who seemed to be taken aback. Mingyu also seemed surprised when his eyes met Minghao’s; he let his gaze strayed a bit, but eventually took it back to Minghao’s eyes.

“It’s nothing.”

Minghao’s expression fell at the words, followed by worry clouding Mingyu’s face.

“Aah, you ruined my mood,” said Minghao as he gave an annoyed look. Or at least he was trying to. Wonwoo thought that Minghao wasn’t so much of a good actor. “I’m out.” With that, Minghao left the table.

For a while, Mingyu kept staring at the space where Minghao was. It looked like he was having trouble with an awful mix of emotions. When he turned to face Wonwoo though, Mingyu gave a small smile.

“At least he’s not avoiding you,” he said with that awkward smile. Same as Minghao, Mingyu was not a good actor. “He’s not fighting anymore. Right?”

When Wonwoo nodded, Mingyu hummed. “Good. That’s good.” His relieved look was sad.

 



When Wonwoo saw Minghao’s name on the caller ID, his heart stopped. Minghao had only called him once on the night he opened up to Wonwoo, so Wonwoo expected bad things.

“Hey.” Minghao’s voice didn’t indicate anything unusual, but Wonwoo wasn’t feeling relieved just yet.

He took a seat on his bed and replied, “Hey.”

“I need to copy your physics note tomorrow.”

“Sure.” Wonwoo managed to let out a chuckle even though his heart was beating nervously. “If everyone at school finds out Xu Minghao is copying notes to study...”

“Shut up.” Wonwoo heard a scoff from the other end. “I don’t have any choice. I’m studying by myself now. No tutor. Teachers are helpless--”

A loud sound, like glass breaking, muffled Minghao’s words. It was from Minghao’s end of the line. The nervous beating of Wonwoo’s heart felt painful inside his chest.

“Minghao?”

“I’m fine.” His calm voice did nothing to ease Wonwoo’s heart. Especially when Minghao said, “My Mom’s just having her usual... You know... She hit me, once. I said I won’t accept her hitting me anymore. She just stared. She stared and... I guess she just decided it’s better to go breaking things. I’m in my room. I’m okay.”

“You wanna stay here?”

“Nah.” It was as if Minghao knew Wonwoo was about to protest. He quickly added, “She’ll get tired and sleepy soon. Once the booze really kicks in.”

Wonwoo stayed quiet. Minghao didn’t say anything either. For a while there were only loud bump and sound of things breaking. Wonwoo wondered if the neighbors would file a complaint.

Once again Minghao demonstrated his Wonwoo-mind-reading power. “Good thing neighbors work late until night. They won’t be home at least not before midnight.” Wonwoo scrunched his forehead. There was nothing good about that. What if something went terribly wrong? There won’t be anyone nearby to help.

Wonwoo was about to get on his feet and walk out of his room, mind focused on getting to Minghao when the latter said, “So, have you kissed Jun?”

“Huh?” Wonwoo sat back on his bed, perplexed by Minghao’s sudden question. Usually he would get flustered at such inquiry but he couldn’t.

“He’s probably too shy. You should do it first, for his sake.”

They continued to chat over the phone (or rather, Minghao continued to nag Wonwoo about his love life). It was almost 11 when Wonwoo noticed that there were no more sounds of things getting smashed on the background.

“I’m going to sleep,” said Minghao after a big yawn. “Thanks, Wonwoo.” Despite the worry that tugged Wonwoo’s chest, Minghao’s voice managed to calm him down. For once, he thought things would be okay.

 


 

Minghao came to Wonwoo’s house on a Sunday. It was the only time they were both free. Wonwoo had his band practice and cram school, while Minghao has started working on various part time jobs.  

Despite busy working now, Minghao made time to study. Wonwoo was determined to support him any way he could. Especially after he had heard Minghao’s declaration.

“I’m not letting Mom hit me again. I’ll do my best to make her change. If she doesn’t change until I graduate, I’m moving out.”

That day under the tree behind the field, Wonwoo saw the Minghao he had seen jumping over the school fence many months ago. No. This was a different Minghao. This Minghao no longer refrained himself from asking Wonwoo’s help. This Minghao was stronger.

That’s why Wonwoo promised himself to get stronger too. Doing anything he could to support Minghao. Helping him study like today.

Minghao was already inside Wonwoo’s lawn when he stopped on his tracks. His tensed face was directed at the road next to the house. Mingyu’s upper body was visible over the low fence.

“Hi,” greeted Mingyu with a nervous smile. Minghao didn’t show any sign of acknowledgement but a stare and a slight nod.

It was the first time in such a long time that the two interacted. Many times Wonwoo had seen Mingyu tried to initiate conversation but Minghao had put a thicker barrier ever since that day at the cafeteria. Mingyu eventually stopped trying to talk with Minghao and opted to give notes of exam tips and example questions through Wonwoo. He made Wonwoo promise not to tell Minghao that the notes were from him. Wonwoo kept his words but he was sure that Minghao had found out the truth by himself.

 “You look good.” Mingyu said, his voice shook. “I mean, not that you look good, fine, not like that, but good good, as in healthy, which is good.”

Mingyu looked so comical that Wonwoo wanted to laugh. Minghao beat him to it. It was not a teasing laugh. It was free, sincere. Mingyu pouted but Wonwoo saw relief on his eyes.

After he finished laughing, Minghao said, “Are you free now?”

Mingyu’s eyes glinted with expectation as he nodded.

“Can you tutor me? Wonwoo at chemistry.”

When they both smiled widely, Wonwoo felt a surge of relief and happiness.

 


 

He’s not the one graduating, but somehow Wonwoo felt sentimental as he stood a good meter away from the circle of people dancing around the bonfire. Most of them were his seniors, dancing in pairs and groups, some had their faces red and wet from tears, but each one of them was smiling.

Among the crowd were Mingyu and Minghao, arms wrapped over each other as their bodies swayed in a tempo slower than everyone. They showing up hand in hand had created quite a fuss, even the seniors seemed to be engrossed in the couple instead of enjoying their last moments at this school. But Mingyu and Minghao only had their gazes at each other, not showing a care to the world. Everyone eventually went back to minding their own business.

Wonwoo stood there looking at Minghao’s graceful movements, watching how the latter exuded positive energy from each motion and the smile on his face. One more year until the deadline that Minghao had decided for himself, Wonwoo recalled his best friend’s words and the promise Wonwoo made for himself. He’d be there for Minghao, through the whole year and many more.

As he let himself drown in the crowded but calming atmosphere, Wonwoo felt a presence approaching him from his right. His heart beat faster when he saw it was Jun; he felt his cheeks warming up from the thought of how Jun still managed to bring that effect to him.

After a “hey” and a smile, they fell into a silence that continued until Jun spoke up first.

“They look happy,” he said with a small smile, gaze directed towards the crowd surrounding the bonfire. Wonwoo knew who he was talking about and hummed his agreement.

“Wonwoo...” Jun’s small smile tensed as he said Wonwoo’s name, letting Wonwoo know that he’s nervous. Wonwoo heart rate went up a notch. He thought maybe Jun was going to beat him and ask him to dance first. But Jun’s words turned out to be something unexpected.

“I can be in second, so...” Jun repeated before turning to face Wonwoo. “...will you be my boyfriend?”

Jun’s eyes were slightly wavering, but they kept gazing at Wonwoo’s. His gaze would usually made Wonwoo’s heart beat even crazier, but this time it made Wonwoo feel calm.

“I’m not choosing first and second,” said Wonwoo gently. “Important people in my life can’t be put into ranks.”

At his words, Jun widened his eyes slightly before casting his gaze downward.

“Of course. It’s ridiculous to make rankings. I’m sorry I’m such a petty person,” he said quietly, his eyes still facing the ground.

With a full smile and a hope to console the boy in front of him, Wonwoo told Jun the truth. “It’s okay. I like you anyway.”

Jun snapped his neck up so fast that Wonwoo thought he was going to break it. When their eyes met once again, Jun’s face was instantly filled with a tinge of red. It was such an endearing sight, Wonwoo didn’t think. He just did what he wanted to do, which is placing his hand on Jun’s left cheek and leaning his face forward.

He could feel Jun shivering through his hand and his lips. Or maybe it was all him; he belatedly realized that from the slight shaking of his left arm that was left dangling on his side. He wasn’t sure. He was too engrossed in Jun’s soft and cherry-flavored lips. Jun had a cherry pie today. Though it was hours ago so Wonwoo wondered if it’s possible that the taste still lingered. Maybe he was just imagining it. Or maybe Jun’s lips were originally cherry-flavored. By the way, Wonwoo had pork stew for lunch today. Did he taste like pork? Did he ruin the mood for? Maybe he should—

A click of a camera put Wonwoo’s thoughts into a halt. He pulled away and caught Jun’s bashful glance before turning his head to the right.

“Oops. Didn’t realize the shutter sound was on.” There stood Minghao with his phone in his raised hand and a panicked Mingyu on his side.

“Minghao! You’re ruining it!”

“I wanted to immortalize it. It’s such an important moment.” He stopped before saying in a smug way. “I feel like a proud parent.”

“Come on. Let’s go and give them some privacy.”

“Okay, okay. They were kind enough to give us privacy when we made out at the council room.”

 Minghao said it nonchalantly but it threw Mingyu into a stuttering mess. “Wha—You mean-- T-they saw it??”

“I was disappointed. They should’ve taken some pictures. Or better, a video. Don’t you want our precious moment to be preserved?”

Mingyu gaped before trying to protest Minghao. They went on into full bickering mode, which was slightly annoying but always endearing, thought Wonwoo.

Wonwoo turned his attention back to Jun on his left. Jun replied Wonwoo’s gaze with his own, and they both burst into laughter. With the warmth of the night and the sound of Jun’s beautiful laughter, Wonwoo felt a sudden surge of confidence. He took his hand out and was about to ask Jun for a dance when Seokmin and Hansol came running towards them, huge grin and excitement plastered to their faces.

“Oh. My. God,” said Seokmin with his eyes bulging out.

“We got another couple!” Hansol clapped his hands and wiggled his body side to side, reminding Wonwoo of a seal.

“When? How? Tell us!”

“He’s so red, I think he’s going to combust, ha ha ha.”

The duo continued to pester a completely flushed Jun, Wonwoo had to tell them to take it slow with the questions. His effort made Seokmin and Hansol turned their attention completely to him, let him take all of their curiosity and excitement instead of Jun. When Seokmin proceeded to recommend popular date spots and couple stuffs, Jun had went from visibly embarrassed to obviously amused.

Wonwoo let his friends continue chattering and diverted his attention towards the other couple nearby. Minghao was petting the neck of a pouting Mingyu. He had a teasing smile and eyes filled with fondness.

Minghao continued to brush his hand over Mingyu’s nape as he turned his head, his eyes meeting Wonwoo’s. Minghao’s teasing smile transformed into a gentle one, and Wonwoo felt his own lips curving up.


 

Thank you for staying with this fic!