Part 1

Adore U (아낀다)

 

 

 

 

 

 Today was a beautiful morning at Taellim High. The school bell ring for three times, a sign that class is about to start. About seven students sprinted to the building right after they entered the gate, as if their lives depend on their feet.

  A boy with dark spiky hair sprinted his way to his class. '2-4', was the numbers that written in a small wooden board hung above the door. He slid the door open, scanning the room before heaving a relieved sigh. After taking a few seconds to catch his breath, the boy made his way to his seat with lazy steps. He sat there while groaning lightly. Thank god biology is the first period, the teacher is sort of a slow poke so he rarely comes here on time.

  It only took a moment until a memory passes the boy's mind, which causing him to widen his eyes. With such speed, he took out his notes out his bag and rushed to the front row seat at the corner.

  "Buddy, you're a very good friend, right? can i see your note, please?" The boy knelt beside another male student, whose face was covered by a thick book.

  "Ten? Since when i'm your good friend?" Said the male while removing the book off him.

  "Oh, it doesn't matter!" The boy, Ten shook his head. He then stared at the other male with pleading eyes, "Please, buddy. I really need your help! I was so busy last night i don't have time to do my homework! That's why, can i see your note? Please please please!"

  The male student huffed, like Ten has asked, he took out his notes and handed it to the spiky haired boy, "Here you go."

  "Yes! Thank you so much, Mingyu-ah! I'll treat you lunch next time, alright?" With cheeky smile, Ten patted his shoulder before leaving, "Thank you, pal!"

  The male only shrugged. He didn't expect Ten would actually do that. The guy would probably forgot after the first period ended. Afterall, it's been part of his daily life since he first entered high school, get his notes taken and copied by students.

  Kim Mingyu, an eleventh grader top student of Taellim High. The type of guy who has perfect grades decorating his report card in almost every subject and is the ace in math club. His academic intelligence made him pretty popular among the teachers also the students.

 

  But not in overally good way.

 

  The first period ended and Mingyu was walking out the class, heading to the corridor. Few moments later he's arrived at his locker and opens it, returning and taking a few equipments. But then, a shiver sent down his spine when the locker's door closed in all sudden.

  That's not a good sign. He silently gulped.

  "Yo, Mingyu." The shorter guy grinned.

  Mingyu balled his fist, trying to avoid eyecontacts, "Taeyong" He greeted shortly before stepping back, about to go away. But his movements were stop when a hand firmly grip his shoulder.

  "Woah, dude, chill. We won't harm you." Said the hand's owner, Jaehyun.

  "Yeah, unless we needed to." His friend, Mino agreed. "We just want to ask for a small favor."

  "Yup, you see, Mingyu. We spent all our money for the current science project," Taeyong spoke, "We're really desperate cause if we don't have money, we won't get lunch at breaktime. So, since you're nice guy, maybe you can lend us some?"

  Mingyu sighed. Science project? Psh, what a joke. They must be using the money to buy cigarette or something (because Mingyu had seen them smoking before outside an convenient store.) There is no way he would fall to that trick, again.

  "i'm sorry, guys" Mingyu fixed his spectacles position, "I need to save up my money too this week."

  "Oh, come on, dude." Hanbin tilted his head, "We really need it, can't you lend us some money? 10.000 won would be enough for us. You're rich, that amount of money won't burden you, right?"

  "I'm not rich. My parents are." Mingyu replied, "Sorry, but i really need to save up my money. Maybe you can ask someone else. If you excuse me-" He tries to escape, but then again, a hand moved to his collar and managed to slam him against the locker. Jaehyun chuckled darkly, "Stop lying."

  "Jaehyun, slow down." Said Taeyong, "Mingyu-ah. You do know some of us are Taekwondo athletes, right? Mino and i."

  The taller guy gulped. Pain struck his collar by Jaehyun's grip cause him to wince a bit. Mingyu gave them a nod.

  "Good. And you know the consequences if you didn't listen to us?"

  Mingyu gave them a nod again. Too intimidated to speak.

  "Now, i thought we made it clear." Said Taeyong, "We really need your money, Mingyu. Don't you wanna help us? Just lend us some, man."

  Mingyu shook his head, "I'm sorry, but i can't."

  The shorter guy squinted his eyes. No longer smile plastered on his face. "You're quite tall. Like, 5,9? I wonder if i can test your flexibility..." He smirked and looked around his men, "guys?"

  The other three smirked as well. Mingyu's face went pale. He began struggling from their grip, but it was too late. They've been dragging him to the boy's bathroom.

 

 

 

  Mingyu balled his hands to a tight fists, stomping through the corridor. Leaving the four guys laughing satisfiedly seeing his condition. The student body whom he passed staring at him in different ways: some look at him curiously why his neck up to his hair is soaking wet. Some silently laughed, knowing what happened to him. And the others merely just pity stares.

  It hasn't even get to the second period yet Mingyu has to meet his unfortunate luck. Being dragged to the bathroom, having his legs forced to stay straight while they push his head brutally so Mingyu's face could taste the fresh water from the toilet for seven to eight seconds. They even repeat two more times before taking 20.000 won from Mingyu's wallet. How kind are they?

  Mingyu held the urge to puke, remembering he accidentally swallowed the water few times because they already shove his head into the toilet again before he could catch his breath. Today was definitely not his day.

  "Ew, he got the toilet prank again?"

  "It's the third time in this month! Sheesh, doesn't he has at least energy to escape?"

  "Super brain doesn't mean anything, does it? Poor him."

  Mingyu did nothing but gritted his teeth hearing the student's whispers. See? He is popular among the school. Just in an opposite way.

  But that doesn't mean he has no friends at all. 

 

  When he reached the shower room, a student around 5,7 tall greeted him with an ear-to-ear smile at the gym locker, "Yo, Mingy- oh." Just as he saw Mingyu's condition, his smile vanished.

  Lee Seokmin, the vocalist of the school's band with a stage name, 'Dogyeom'. An optimistic boy with 150% of energy who sings a lot. He has an annoying habit which is whenever he hears a certain word, he would sing a song that reminds him of that word. And has a very loud voice. So loud that if he screams in maximum power from here, people in class 1-1 until 2-3 can hear it, which is in the second floor. 

  Nevertheless, he is very kind and warm. Seokmin's the only one who willed to help him escape from the bullies while everybody else were just laughing at him when they were juniors. They became best friends eversince.

  "Sheesh, what happened to you, pal?" Seokmin asked worriedly.

  "They shoved my head to the toilet again and have my 20.000 won taken." Mingyu snorted while opening his gym locker and took his P.E uniform, "It is my lucky day, indeed."

  "Again?" Seokmin heaved a sigh. Feeling guilty for not being with his friend that time. He patted Mingyu's shoulder, "There, there. I'm sure they will learn their lesson one day."

  "How can they learn if they weren't given any lessons?" Another male student appeared. Already wearing his gym uniform except he covers it with dark purple jacket, "Seriously, Mingyu. You need to learn martial-arts or something. You can't just let them beat you whenever they want."

  Mingyu sighed, "I don't know, man. Don't you think it'll make me look dumber?"

  Xu Minghao, a transferred student from China. He's a part of B-Boy club in the school. Minghao may seem cold but actually nice once people get to know him better.

  "Dumber? Mingyu, you already look dumb enough by letting them shove your head to the toilet."

  The taller man rolls his eyes and decided to ignored the last sentence and went to the changing room. Minghao is a straightforwarded guy, so sometimes his sentences could be a little hurtful. Seokmin shot him glare.

  Minghao raised his eyebrows, putting his hands up as a sign of what did i do wrong? While saying, "What? I am just worried! He can't keep drinking toilet water over and over again!"

  Well, he's got a point though. Mingyu can't just let them be, those bullies need a lesson. But the idea of him joining the Taekwondo club, the possibility of him getting bullied is higher. Plus, Mino and Taeyong are in that club. It would only widen their chance to kick Mingyu's .

  The three went to the gymnasium. A lot of students are already there, waiting for the teacher to come. Some of them are randomly throwing and catching balls, some are just sitting on the floor, having conversations. But they're activities stopped when a muscular man came to the place. It was their P.E teacher, Mr. Jongkook.

 

  "Alright, i want everyone line up until eight lines! Five people for each, now!" Mr. Jongkook said in a booming voice. Instantly, the students hastened, finding their own places to make lines as the teacher instructed. In order to save time, the school combine two classes for P.E subject. That's why Seokmin and Minghao, who are from class 2-5 are here too.

  "Students! We're going to continue our last theory, which is basketball. Except today, i will test your ability of playing the game."

  Most of the students muttered, 'yes!', knowing they can actually play basketball instead of listeing to theories or practice those boring basics. But not to Mingyu, his face was a little pale.

  "Okay, listen up! Let's do mixed team, shall we? The lines you're in would be your team..." while Mr. Jongkook deciding which team will be against which. Mingyu silently gulped, and turned his head to Seokmin, who is next to him, "I can't play basketball, what should i do?" He whispered.

  Seokmin shrugged, "Relax, buddy. We've learned the basics, right? I'm sure you can do it, Mingyu." He gave his friend a wide grin, "Fighting."

  The taller guy huffed and fixed his spectacles position, the usual thing he does whenever he's nervous. Yes, he is a very smart boy, but P.E would be the reason why he can't get straight A's in his report cards. His sport skills are very weak. Truth to be told, Mingyu prefers solving a hundred math problems to doing sports game.

  He looked at his front and behind him, checking who would be his teammates. Luckily, there are Yuju, Jeonghan and Sehun in his team. The three are part of basketball club. There's also Park Sooyoung, her classmate. She wasn't as good as the trio, but Mingyu once saw her play and she did well. Plus, the girl is quite tall, and that is another benefit. Mingyu huffed, atleast this way, his team won't depend on him so much.

  Even though it does intimidate him a bit.

  "First round is Jeonghan's team versus Namjoon's team! Please go and prepare." Mr. Jongkook gave a cue. Mingyu and his team instinctively formed a circle to discuss the strategy.

  "Well, just have fun, right?" Said Jeonghan nonchalantly, while tying his shoulder-length hair (which is his charm that made him pretty popular among girls.)

  "Yeah, Mr. Jongkook often gives bonus points for those who are able to score." Said Sooyoung.

  "Well, as long we get the score." Said Sehun, "Let's just go with it. Sooyoung, you've played with us three before, right?"

  "W-wait wait, what about me? I never play with you guys!" Asked Mingyu, a bit panicking. Jeonghan looked at Mingyu's direction, he looks a bit surprised. "Oh yeah, there's you." He blurted, "Yuju, tell him."

   Yuju shot the long haired boy a glare, like giving him a warning that he shouldn't have said that. Then she turned to Mingyu, "You see, Mingyu, since you're the tallest in the team. You'll be blocking the opposite team from shooting to our ring. Make sure you'll use the basic moves Mr. Jongkook has thought us, get it?"

  Jeonghan's words were harsh. But thankfully, Yuju was kind enough to tell him. Mingyu nodded, "Alright."

  And so, the discussing time is up. Right after Mr. Jongkook blow the whistle and throw the ball up, Taehyung from the opposite team managed to take the ball as the play began. Mingyu went near the ring, playing his role just like Yuju told him. He uses the basics like chest pass, bound pass and overhead pass to his teammates. And spreads his arms when one from the opposite team tries to shoot. Mingyu just jogged around no further from the ring, he wanted to stay at his comfort zone. For the first five minutes, he's actually doing pretty well. Until—


  "Pass it to me, Mingyu!"

  "Don't just stand there and block people, idiot! Help us!"

  "You're holding the ball, for God's sake! Just shoot!"

  "This is not soccer, Kim Mingyu! Go explore the floor!" Even Mr. Jongkook yelled as well.

  The thing Mingyu dislikes the most about team-sports: his teammates would yell at him telling him what to do over and over, and it makes him confused. The pressure they've caused made his head spinning and couldn't think straight. Sometimes he wonders how can athletes stand such pressure?

  He ended up walking back and forth, having no idea what should he do. Minutes passes, the opposite team has scored 14 points. Sehun began yelling at Mingyu, telling him to block Namjoon, who is about to shoot again. Mingyu ran to Namjoon, spreading his arms apart to prevent him shoot. The shorter guy clicked his tounge and rolls his eyes. In a fast move, Namjoon managed to escape from Mingyu's block. He leaped and do the slam dunk to the ring.

  Sehun groaned frustratingly, "Oh, come on! We only need four more points to catch up on them!"

  "Sorry." Mingyu scratched his nape, feeling guilty. He forgets that it was just gym class, not a real competition.


  "Three minutes left!" Said Mr. Jongkook.

  Jeonghan, as the team captain spoke, "Alright, Yuju will try to make three point shoot. At least that way, Mr. Jongkook would give us higher mark, okay?"

  The game continues. The situation is getting heatens as the other students began cheering loudly. Mingyu silently gulped, getting even nervous. He can't let his team down just because of him. Three from his team are aces in their club, imagine how embarrassed they would be if they lose this little game.

   "MINGYU, WATCH OU-"

  And in one final moment, someone shouted at him which cause him to turn around, not knowing it was a bad move. Because now he crashed on the floor, after a basketball struck him to his forehead.

  Mr. Jongkook blew the whistle, the whole gymnasium went silent in all sudden. It only a few seconds until the students hastened to surround Mingyu, who is lying half-consciously. Mr. Jongkook approached him and bent down, checking out his condition.

  "Oh, that looks bad." Mr. Jongkook grimaced, "Are you okay, son?" He offered his hand to Mingyu. With the teacher's help, the poor boy stood up slowly. His head feels dizzy and his sight wasn't really clear. He then realized that all of the students's eyes are on him.

  "You know what, i think you should meet the school nurse. Miss Irene will know what to do." Mr. Jongkook suggested. 

  As the teacher telling the next teams to prepare, Mingyu walking through the students. Heading towards the exit. The pain in his forehead spreaded to his half side face. While he tries to ignore the sting, he vaguely hears the students mumbling.

  "Haha, as expected, Kim Mingyu."

  "Ssh! I think he heard us!"

  "I don't care. As if he would do something to us if he did."

  "Hey, at least there's something entertaining in this subject. Tch, what a loser."


  It struck Mingyu down, mentally. The student body can be very cruel sometimes. Thank god, he will only need one more year to survive.


  Yuju, who was folding her arms against her chest, clicked her tounge while shaking his head as she watches him. "Did you see his moves, back then? I think he's too confused he didn't aware of his surroundings." She said to another girl, who was shorter than her. The girl had her dark hair tied up into a messy high bun, her small eyes shone cold as she shrugged.

  "I guess he just wasn't born for sports." She commented.

  "Yeah, i agree. Poor him."

 

 


  The nurse's room and its white walls has that familiar scent which is somehow calming. Mingyu sat on a chair, keeping his face emotionless as he watches the school's nurse, Miss Irene, taking equipments for him.

  "The spot near your left eye is swollen," Said Miss Irene, "What were you doing, Mingyu-ah?"

  "I got hit by a basketball at gym class." Mingyu answered simply. The nurse chuckled while opening the ointment's lid, "The one who threw it must've really strong. It's unusual a basketball would cause this."

  Miss Irene is a lovely woman. Alongside her petite figure and beautiful face, she has that warm and innocent personality which is the reason why everyone can't hate her. She always greets back people who greet her with a wide smile, and always giving extra care to the students. So it wouldn't be a surprise if some student boys fell in love with her.

  After putting ointment and covered it with bandage, Miss Irene gave Mingyu a cup of hot chocolate. Usually, if it isn't winter, she would give the students a popsicle instead of lollipops. Another reason why she's different from other school nurses. It's because she has ice cream business at her hometown, Busan, which she only sells them on summer. So when she comes back, she would bring lots of popsicles to the school.

  "I still have some orangeberry popsicles, though. Would you like to have one?" Asked the nurse.

  "Uh, no thank you, Miss Irene. This is enough." Mingyu smiled while taking some sips. Miss Irene replies his smile, "You've got a point, though. Cold food doesn't really match for winter, does it?"

  Mingyu gave her a grin, and continue drinking his beverage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

how is it? I do hope you enjoy ^^ subscribe, upvotes even comments are highly appreciated! See you in the next chap~