Step 3: Becoming Friends

How To Fall in Love

 

Yuya walks out of the recording studio, quickly putting on his sunglasses before anyone could recognize him, and flips open his phone, seeing he got two missed calls from Makoto and, he smiles at the name, Sakura. Yuya presses the call back button and begins to walk to his destination as he waits for her to answer him, “Yuya!” Sakura answers excitedly and Yuya felt his smile brighten.

            “Hey, what’s up?”

            “I got the part as Misaki for Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama!” Yuya’s mouth drops and he grins, feeling his heart being swelled with pride.

            “No way!” He exclaims, getting a few looks from other people, but he ignores it.

            “Way!” She answers, squealing on the phone, and despite the new pain his ears, he didn’t pull the phone away.

            “This calls for a celebration! Where do you want to go? I’ll call Makoto and the others.”

            “Oh, let’s go to this restaurant called GaoGan! Saki-chan said the food is amazing and they have their own singer for the place!” Yuya agreed, committing the name and address to memory, “alright, see you at seven then?” Again, Yuya agrees, saying good byes, and calling up Makoto.

            “Hey, finally you called back, did you hear about Sa-?”

            “Yeah, I just finished talking to her,” Yuya cuts him off and he heard a heavy sigh at the end, “oh by the way; we’re all going to meet up at GaoGan, you in?” there is another heavy sigh.

            “Why didn’t you just make it a date with Sakura, man? You just screwed yourself over, again,” Yuya rolls his eyes, but felt his face burning in embarrassment, realizing Makoto was right, “whatever, where’s the place at?” Yuya sighs, his mood suddenly brought down by his so-called friend.

            “GaoGan.”

            “Oh, I heard of that place! Their singer is really cute,” Yuya rolls his eyes, saying his bye to Makoto and hanging up. He stays in that one spot, sighing because he knows Makoto is right; there has been no progress between Sakura and him. They’re finally at that stage where they can be comfortable with each other with no awkward silences anymore. They can talk about everything and anything and finally had known each other to the point where Sakura is comfortable being around his friends and he was comfortable around her friends.

            They’ve also learned more about each other, such as Sakura being originally from America. The reason why she had never actually recognized Yuya in the first place when they met. Her reason for coming to Japan is to be a Japanese actress, starting with theatre acting.

            Now she has a lead role in a new drama, everything is going as planned for her life. For Yuya, it makes his life a bit easier.

            “Wow, I wish I had gone there a long time ago!” Sakura exclaims, patting her stomach, Yuya laughs beside her, “and did you see that little girl? Oh my gosh, she was such a cutie pie,” Sakura squeals.

            “Her older sister was pretty scary looking though, did you see how white her hair was, damn,” Sakura laughs, holding her stomach.

            “Makoto is never gonna go back there, she literally injured him without even touching him,” Yuya laughs, Makoto had wolf-whistled at the young girl and her delinquent of an older sister glared at him, just her aura enough was deadly.

            They walk down the streets of Shibuya together, reminiscing about the dinner they just had. As they walk, Yuya then stops, staring at Sakura, entranced. She turns around, a bit confused and so she tilts her head. “What wrong?” she askes him, he shakes his head and smiles.

            “Nothing,” he begins to walk again, but stops, looking back at her, “actually,” he starts, “I was just,” he tried to think of the right words to say, but every time it comes to her, he just never could, “what are we?” Sakura narrows her eyes confused.

            “Huh?” Yuya scratches the back of his neck nervously.

            “I mean, what exactly are we to each other?” Sakura stares at him, trying to process his words, then starts laughing, now confusing Yuya.

            “Wait, you’re worried about that?” Sakura breathes a giggle, smiling up at him that smile that always makes him weak in the knees. She walks up to him, placing her hands on his shoulders, causing his heart to skip a beat. Yuya stares down at her with eyes wide wondering what she is about to do, but excited as well. It was feeling like an eternity before she finally opens , “we’re best friends,” Yuya felt his heart drop, and the light in his eyes disappears, Sakura removes her hands from his shoulders and walks forward, counting reasons, “we know all about each other, we’ve been seeing each other for almost a year already,” she turns around, grinning, “and we can rely on each other no matter what,” Yuya blinks, feeling a bit disappointed, but smiles none-the-less.

            “You’re right, you’re right, what was I worried about?” They both laugh loudly, their laughter harmonizing, but both sound off and fake.

            “Because you’re an idiot,” Sakura smiles, taking a step back, “well then, see you later, Yuya!” They waved good bye to each other, and as Sakura walkes away, her smile disappears, “why was that, really hard to say?