Chapter 5

Fanfiction Series: When Daesung Meets Mona

After almost two years, we finally graduated from college, and we all had the same goal: to do something we really love. I finished Communications, while Chang, Haerin, and Sheng finished Fine Arts, Pschology, and Public Relations, respectively. We were really glad we made it all at the same time. Probably, were destined to be together after all.

 

After graduation, we rarely saw each other because we were busy with our own lives until one day, we agreed to meet at school.

 

I was the first to arrive.

 

“Haay … I will have to wait for years.” I just said to myself, but I smiled at the thought that I miss them. I was in deep thought again when …

 

BANG!

 

I immediately looked at where the sound came from. It was Haerin. That girl hit the wall of the student lounge using a book that she was holding to wake me up. I was really scared and was in shock. She on the other hand was laughing hard because she really scared me to death.

 

“Goodness! You scared me! Damn you!” I shouted at her.

 

“Hahaha! I won!” She victoriously laugh, and she started to dance like she was provoking me. I was about to take revenge, but I noticed Chang who was sneaking behind Haerin’s back.

 

“BAHH!” Chang scared Haerin from behind.

 

Haerin on the other hand shouted with all her might because she was really scared. I immediately laughed at Haerin because finally, I got my revenge. I and Chang were laughing at her really. I guess we just miss each other. This is our usual atmosphere. Amidst our laughter, we did not notice that Sheng already arrived.

 

“And what’s the commotion about?” Sheng in making her voice sound strict and confronting.

 

We immediately looked her and shouted in chorus.

 

“Sheng!”

 

And the three of us hugged her. And we did a group hug.

 

“I miss you guys!” I honestly said.

 

“Me too.” The other three said in chorus.

 

We only haven’t seen each other for a few months, but we missed each other this much. I guess it’s difficult for us to be a part for long. We treat each other like we are sisters, like we are a family.

 

After the “little emotional” moment, we settled down in an area at the student lounge and started to talk and ask about how our lives were going. As usual, we were just cracking jokes instead of making the conversation serious. This is what I will miss from them.

 

Chang, the serious girl among the group, converted the conversation into something serious.

 

“Guys, what are your plans?” Chang suddenly asked in a serious manner.

 

The three of us understood that Chang wanted a serious conversation this time. So we ready ourselves for some seriousness. Nobody answered Chang’s question. I think Haerin, Sheng, and I were still thinking. Although Chang is the most serious among us, she is also the smartest. I guess that explains why she is serious. She continued.

 

“I have something to tell you. This is surprising. I was surprised too when I heard about it.”

 

“So what is it?” Haerin asked impatiently.

 

“I was just told a few days ago by my brother that he prepared something for me.”

 

We listened closely this time to Chang.

 

“I’m going to Korea.” She said.

 

“What?!” The three of us asked in chorus.

 

“You heard it right. I’m going to Korea. My brother told me that it’s time for me to grow. And he wanted me to start living the real life. He will help me find the right company for my skills.” Chang explained.

 

We remembered that her brother is in Korea for many years now working as a successful engineer. So that explains why Chang will surely go to a good company someday.

 

Nobody reacted to what she said. And we could see that she was a bit disappointed and sad.

 

“Are … are you guys not happy for me?” Chang asked sadly.

 

“Of course we are!” Sheng immediately answered.

 

“Yeah.” Haerin and I agreed.

 

“It’s just that we were not expecting this at all. To be honest, I’m happy for you at least you know where to go now.” Siad Haerin truthfully. And she smiled at Chang.

 

“Well, I also have my plans.” Sheng said. And I can sense her excitement.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re also going to Korea?” Hearin was guessing.

 

“You got it!” Sheng excitedly agreed.

 

“No way!” Chang reacted with disbelief, but with excitement too.

 

“What? So this is where you’re going huh.” I said, trying to sound jealous.

 

“Don’t worry Mona! We will make sure you and Haerin will follow us in Korea. Right Chang?” Asked Sheng.

 

“Of course! That’s what I thought when I heard the news from my brother.” Agreed Chang.

 

“I don’t think you guys need to do that.” I immediately disagreed.

 

The three of them looked at me with a questioning expression.

 

“And why is that?” Chang asked like I should have a strong reason to back up my disagreement.

 

“It’s simple. I’m also going to Korea.” I proudly said.

 

“You’re kidding.” Haerin said. She was not convinced.

 

“I am. Remember? My sister is in Korea, and she asked me one day via Skype if what are my plans. And I assured her that I will definitely get a job here. She was not convinced, so she offered me a proposal. She asked me if I wanted to work in Korea, and of course, I immediately said yes.” I explained.

 

“Is this happening?” Sheng couldn’t believe that we will still be together after graduation.

 

“Yes, it is.” Chang assured her.

 

We now looked at Haerin who became silent. We couldn’t say anything to her, considering that she will be left alone, without her friends around. I and Sheng glanced at Chang for help. And Chang understood that. However, Haerin finally spoke before Chang could say anything.

 

“Are you feeling bad that I will be left here?” Haerin asked sounding sad. But I can sense that she was up to something.

 

We were about to answer her when she continued.

 

“Don’t be. I won’t let you leave me here. I will also go to Korea.” She said.

 

“Of course you will. We will help you.” Chang said with sympathy.

 

“No. It’s not like that.” Haerin said, trying to control her laughter.

 

I had a strong feeling that she was about to reveal something great.

 

“C’mon, say it. I know you’re up to something.” I impatiently said.

 

“Hahaha! Of course I’m also going to Korea. That was my plan even before we graduated. I am already scheduled for an interview you know.” Haerin boastfully said.

 

“Stop joking Hae.” Chang wanted a confirmation, although she can’t hide the feeling of excitement.

 

“Chang, …” Haerin suddenly became serious and looked at Chang straight in the eyes.

 

“... I may be the joker among the four of us, but I am dead serious this time.” Haerin was straightforward.

 

“OMG! So this means that WE ARE ALL GOING TO KOREA?!” Sheng bursted with excitement.

 

“No. We’re just saying it.” Haerin was sarcastic.

 

Sheng just made a face, and we laughed at it.

 

“So this is it huh. We are all going to our dream country.” I said.

 

“I guess we are.” Chang said with a smile on her face.

 

“So when are you leaving Chang?” Asked Haerin.

 

“Next week.” Chang automatically answered.

 

“Wow! That early?” Sheng asked with surprise.

 

“Yeah furtunately.” Chang confirmed, now sounding a little boastful.

 

“How about you Sheng?” Asked Chang.

 

“Early next month.” Sheng answered.

 

“Oh, so you will shortly follow Chang?” I asked.

 

“Yeah, I think so.” Sheng confirmed.

 

“And you?” Sheng threw the question back to me.

 

“I think we’ll go together. My sister told me that I might go there early next month too.” I said.

 

“High five!” Sheng then gestured her hand with a high five, and we did a big high five.

 

“I might be the first to go.” Haerin immediately said even if nobody asked yet.

 

“Really? So when are you leaving?” Chang asked with surprise.

 

“This weekend.” Haerin said.

 

“Wow! That’s too early!” Sheng bursted in surprise.

 

“Yeah, I know right? Don’t worry I’ll wait at the airport whoever will follow me first.” Haerin said with a smile and winked at us.

 

“Yeah. Let’s wait for everyone at the airport whenever anyone will arrive in Korea.” Chang suggested.

 

“Yeah. We should do that.” I agreed.

 

“Alright then! We’re settled. See you guys in Korea!” Sheng excitedly said.