Grandpa Kim

The Frog King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The visit is over too soon. The pout on Taeng’s face makes Steph giggle.

“You don’t have to be this sad about leaving. We can always stay a little longer.”

Taeng looks at his watch. It’s almost six. There’s just enough time for him to walk to the car waiting to pick him up. “I can’t. I have to go.”

“Right now?”

Taeng nods sadly.

“Look, there’s no harm staying a few more minutes,” Hyoyeon chips in. “Besides, there’s something I’ve been dying to share with some people so if you wanna know what it is . . .”

Taeng’s curiosity rockets. “What is it?”

The gleam in Hyoyeon’s eyes promises good things. “Come to the kitchen and I’ll show you.”

Taeng follows the two girls into the kitchen and stares at the huge bowl of red water sitting on the counter. “Is it fruit punch?”

Hyoyeon eyes Steph and they double over in laughter.

“Did I say something funny?”

Steph inhales hard and holds her stomach as she shakes her head. “No, no. You’re right. It’s fruit punch. Fruit juice with a punch.”

“Oh, I’d like to try some, please.”

Hyoyeon’s grin is wide as a clown’s. “Sure.”

Taeng accepts a glass of the red drink from Hyoyeon with thanks and takes a sip. “Oh, it’s . . .”

“It’s nice, isn’t it?”

Looking at Steph who is taking a nice big gulp of the drink, Taeng nods even though he finds it a little bitter and strange. “It’s nice,” he says politely.

“Finish it up before you go then,” says Hyoyeon.

Looking at his glass, Taeng tries not to grimace. “What kind of fruit is this drink made from?”

“Oh, mostly grapes, some pineapple, peaches, berries and orange juice.”

“Oh. That’s interesting. Is there a name for this?”

Hyoyeon’s grin stretches to breaking point. “Sangria.”

“Sangria? It doesn’t sound Korean. More like Spanish.”

Hyoyeon and Steph stare at him.

“It is Spanish,” Steph says, sounding surprised.

“Wow, that’s cool.” Taeng sniffs at the drink one more time.

“How did you know it’s Spanish?” Steph asks.

Taeng blinks. Did he say too much again? “Er, a lucky guess?” Desperate to avoid more questions, Taeng empties the glass of Sangria in a few big gulps. “There. That was nice. I really should get going now.”

“For someone who looked so sad to leave, you sure are eager to leave now,” Steph comments.

“My G-Grandpa said six—” Taeng halts when Steph sticks her face way too close to his.

“You have a curfew? And your curfew is six? Are you really eighteen?”

“I-I have to go back before it gets dark.”

Hyoyeon and Steph burst into laughter.

“Oh my gosh. I never thought—oh my gosh.” Steph bends over, laughing hard.”

“Cinderella,” says Hyoyeon in between her laughter. “Are you wearing glass slippers?”

Feeling a little upset, Taeng shakes his head hard and is surprised to feel a little light-headed. Why is he feeling giddy all of a sudden? He had better head home quickly. “I really have to go,” he says, tight-lipped and heads to the shoe cabinet to retrieve his shoes.

“Aww, are you sad?” Steph asks as she follows him out of the kitchen.

“No. I’m not sad anymore.”

Steph stops giggling. “Are you pissed?”

Taeng doesn’t say a word as he puts his shoes on.

“Oh come on,” Steph punches his arm lightly, “we were only joking.”

“I’m not pissed.” Taeng forces a smile onto his face and gives Hyoyeon his thanks politely before walking out the door. Steph follows him out with Prince in her arms.

“Hey. Taeng. Wait up.”

“I gotta go.” Taeng glances at his watch. Six twenty. How did time pass so quickly? “I’m already late.”

“What about Prince?”

Taeng stops and Steph bumps into him. “What about Prin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter