Crush

The Frog King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whether it is due to Yoona planting the thoughts in Taeng’s mind or not, he isn’t sure. But one thing he is sure of—he can’t stop thinking about Steph over the weekend and wondering how Prince Fluffy is doing at Yoona’s place. He wonders if Steph is missing Prince Fluffy just like he is and he wonders if Steph is doing okay on her own. With a shake of his head, Taeng chides himself. Of course Steph is okay. She’s an independent girl. He is the one he should be worrying about if he ever lives in an apartment by himself.

When Monday comes around again, Taeng is quite impatient. He needs to get to Seo before everybody else trickles in. More importantly, before Steph comes in. Taeng wakes up bright and early and rushes through breakfast.

“Your majesty, why are you eating so fast? Slow down or you might choke,” Grandpa Kim advices like he always does.

Taeng keeps on chewing and shakes his head. “I have to go to school early today.”

“Why is that, my dear King?”

“I need to look for Seo.”

“Do you mean Seohyuk? The class monitor?”

Taeng nods. “How did you know?”

“I have my means, your Majesty.”

Taeng frowns. “Are you spying on me?”

Grandpa Kim breaks into laughter. “Of course not. Security measures, your Highness, security measures.”

“You are spying on me.”

“I have to know if there are any threats to your safety. The kingdom cannot do with a king.”

“Jebudo is only an island, Grandpa Kim. All we have is a small town and a small port. It will do just fine without me.”

“Your majesty! You shouldn’t say that of your kingdom.” Grandpa Kim’s tone is admonishing. “We have resources. We have businesses. We have wealth. And the entire population of Jebudo depends on your wisdom to lead our kingdom to a better future.”

“Grandpa, the entire population of Jebudo is smaller than my schoo—”

“Hush. You shall say no more. Don’t ever say that again. Your kingdom is great and it shall flourish under your rule.”

Taeng doesn’t see why he can’t be honest about his kingdom. It is small. He knew the world out there is bigger but after going to school, he has a better sense of how small Jebudo really is. Not that it makes him think any lesser of his kingdom, but if anyone were to listen to Grandpa Kim talk about Jebudo, they would think it is as massive as Seoul. Or more.

“Jebudo is great, Grandpa. I’m not saying it isn’t.”

“Good. Yes. Be proud of your kingdom, your majesty. It is yours.”

“I am proud of it. The beaches are lovely and we have the best underground water.”

“Not forgetting clam hunting and sea fishing.”

“Yes, yes of course.” Taeng pouts. “But I’ve never been clam hunting or sea fishing.”

“That’s because you’re a king.”

“Why can’t a king go clam hunting and sea fishing?”

“We’ve gone through this before. It’s too dangerous, your Majesty.”

“I’m older now. I’m eighteen, old enough to get a driving license.”

“Well, well. So you are.” Grandpa Kim is looking at Taeng strangely, as though seeing him in new light. “You’re right, your Majesty. You are old enough to get a driving license even if you don’t need one. You have dri—”

“I have drivers to drive me around,” Ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter