Good Hands

The Frog King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where are we going?” Taeng is huffing and puffing from the run.

“Swear you won’t tell anyone.”

Taeng isn’t sure he wants to swear if it might be something bad. Remembering the promise he made to Advisor Kim, he pulls his wrist from Steph’s hold. “I can’t get into trouble. I promised Ad—Grandpa.”

Steph rolls her eyes at him. “Unbelievable. You’re not only cheesy, you’re boring goody sparkly white shoesy too?” She pushes his arm. “You’re in high school, dude. This is supposed to be the most hip and happenin’ time of your life.”

“Er . . . but—”

“No buts. Are you in game or are you out cold.”

Taeng’s heart races as he considers his options. If he says no, he risks losing the first friend he made in a real high school. If he says yes and gets caught . . . well, he’ll just have to make sure he doesn’t get caught, right?

“I’m in.”

“You in game?”

“Y-Yeah, I’m in game.”

“That’s the spirit, dude.” Steph gives him another slap on his arm. “Now, swear.”

“How?”

Steph rolls her eyes at him again. “Repeat after me. I solemnly swear . . .”

“I solemnly swear . . .”

“That I am up to no good.”

“That I am up to no good.” Taeng starts. “Hey, that’s—that’s from Harry Potter.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m Hermione and you’re Harry. But if you tell anyone about this, I’ll skin you alive and throw you into the phoenix fire in the headmaster’s office.”

“I promise I won’t tell a soul.”

Steph bites her lip. “How can I trust you when you’re breaking the promise you made to your Grandpa right now?”

“But—but—”

In a fit of giggles, Steph leans to his ear and whispers, “Just kidding.”

|\/\/|

“Oh my . . . it’s so cute.”

“It’s a he.”

Taeng looks at the white puppy surrounded by pink blankets. “It’s a boy?”

“Yeah.”

Taeng squats and puts his hand out for the puppy to sniff. “What’s his name?”

“Prince Fluffy.”

Try as he might to remain impassive, Taeng’s face still contort

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter