Chapter 6 : Rules and Consequences

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 Results and Consequences

 

All choices coincide with consequences and all doings correspond with a result; same goes with every act that links with every moment. That’s why there’s a saying which goes ‘Think before you act and make sure you are prepared for them.’ Apparently, no one wants a bad result; no one wants to take ruthless consequences and especially everyone wants the right choice. Either they chose the right or wrong, it is only them who can make it momentous with whatever the consequences are ahead of them.

 

Momentous, yes it is for Lisa whose fate starts to twist from hereon. Her whole world which used to be so plain and so simple begins to take a full rotation as fast as how she’s being dragged by the all-out Jennie all the way to the university’s infirmary. Habitually, all heads would turn to the beautiful Jennie every time she walks by the hallways but not this time as all heads would turn and all eyes would widen with the fact that the great Jennie Kim’s precious hand is intertwined with the poor powerless Lisa.

 

“Uhm…” Lisa attempted to break their deafening silence while they walk fast towards the infirmary.

 

“If you’re bothered with everyone’s eyes on us then just look away. You’ll get used to it soon enough.” Jennie said without looking back to meet Lisa’s worried eyes.

 

Lisa doesn’t know what this woman is thinking and definitely has no idea on what to do next with her and so she just followed like a little girl until they reached the infirmary with no one around but this cute nurse fixing some of the beds.

 

“Dara-unnie!” Jennie called out to the inattentive nurse from their arrival.

 

The nurse named Dara looks back towards the dashing Jennie with Lisa, “Oh Jennie~ what brings you here again? I’m sorry but I won’t let you sleep here this time to skip your classes. I don’t want your brother to call just to scold me on letting you sleep here all you want.”

 

“Duh~ I got no time to sleep today. You got a patient and I’m here to have you check on her.” Jennie said and forcibly pushed Lisa to sit down on the edge of the bed.

 

Dara makes an approach and immediately checks on Lisa’s swollen hand. She makes a light contact and Lisa already twitches in pain. “What happened to you my dear?” She then asked in fright.

 

“She was bullied at the cafeteria a while ago and her hand got injured.” Jennie reacted for Lisa.

 

“I see. I’m sorry to hear that.” Dara said and seized her medical kit to start aiding Lisa’s pain.

 

“I’ll step out for a while. Just come out if you’re done with it.” Jennie said as she ordered Lisa who is still wordless in her place.

 

The second Jennie walked out of the infirmary Dara was heard cackling in front of the questioning Lisa. As Lisa gave her a silent stare of confusion, Dara expresses, “You must be wondering why that brat is so informal with me. Well, I know her brother, that’s why. We usually hang out together when he’s not busy. And Jennie always uses this infirmary whenever she doesn’t feel like going to her classes and would just sleep all day. I get a lot of complain from her brother whenever she does it though.”

 

“I see.” Lisa shortly replied as the pain of the ointments being applied is stinging her.

 

“If I’m not mistaken, Ji-yong told me that he’s searching for Jennie’s fake lover and since it’s my first time to see Jennie coming here with someone else with a different purpose, I’m deducing you’re the chosen one. You must be Lalisa Manoban then. I remember how busy Ji-yong was when he asked his men to search for you.” Dara calculates while neatly wrapping Lisa’s hand with thick bandages.

 

Lisa flushed, “Yeah but you can call me Lisa.”

 

“You can just simply call me Dara-unnie too.” Dara winked. “And no worries about your plans, all are safe with me. Ji-yong trusts me so he tells me all his plans, same goes with his other close friends too.”

 

“It just happened. Jennie was the one who decided it but I guess we have no other way. I’ll go along with the situation. It might be difficult though, since we’re completely living in different worlds. It’s like she’s the sky and I’m way down the land.” Lisa flashed a reserved smile while watching her hand being neat.

 

Dara finished her work but didn’t get up from her seat in front of Lisa. Wanting to converse more with Lisa, she tests, “Do you know why Ji-yong decided to choose you even you’re just a poor one like you believed in?”

 

“Hmm… no?” Lisa guessed.

 

“I won’t tell you why.” Dara tormented as she lastly got up from her seat, leaving Lisa sitting a little bothered at the bedside. “That’s the consequence for you Lisa since you’ve accepted the deal. You have to figure it out yourself once you’ll start your relationship with Jennie.”

 

“That’s unfair.” Lisa pouted.

 

“Whatever young one. Just go and see her. I’m pretty sure she’s at the rooftop by now. She’s always there whenever she’s troubled.” Dara said after handing some medicines.

 

Although disturbed, Lisa complied and made an exit out of the infirmary. Like what Dara has predicted, Jennie is certainly in the rooftop, standing alone by the rails while watching the students from the university’s main gate coming in and out. Letting out her thousand rough sigh for the day caused by these series of events, she couldn’t help herself but to knock her forehead against the fences.

 

“Hey kid~ I heard what happened! Congratulations! You’re not single anymore!” These were her brother’s first cheerful words upon answering the phone call that disturbed her wild thoughts.

 

Jennie let his teases slide as she directly orders, “We’re going to do the deal so now do your promise oppa. Employ Lisa’s father, cancel her expulsion and make sure her scholarship won’t be affected anymore.”

 

“Of course I will. I was the one who proposed it in the first place! I assure you that Lisa’s life will turn back to how it used to be as soon as possible.”

 

“Good. Thanks oppa.” Jennie exhaled heavily.

 

“I know you’ll face consequences now that you’re under the agreement but trust me, you’ll thank me in the end.” The confident Ji-yong said.

 

“Why should I thank you for ruining my life oppa? You’re the one who created this mess!” Jennie howled.

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting…”

 

Jennie promptly hung up the call when she overheard Lisa approaching from behind. She relaxed her stiffening shoulders before turning around to meet the timid Lisa with her injured hand wrapped with bandages. Lisa evidently has this anxious smile as she’s forcing it out, visibly trying to make the atmosphere between them to get lighter and easier. But of course, nothing escapes from Jennie’s observant eyes.

 

“You can’t possibly be smiling at me like that the entire time, right?” Jennie asked dull. “Just smile like how you used to. Be normal. People will doubt at you if you’re like that around me. We might get busted too for faking it.”

 

Lisa clogged a meter away from Jennie’s confident posture. Feeling so cautious for the first time in a long while, she emits delicately, “I haven’t thanked you for saving me a while ago at the cafeteria. So, thank you.”

 

“Don’t get me wrong. I did that to return the favor of staying beside me the whole night last time and Jisoo told me to thank you properly for that.” Jennie barely said, still giving Lisa a cold shoulder.

 

“When will she ever talk to me normally? Damn she’s so cold!” Lisa complained under her breath.

 

“Hey, I heard that.” Jennie raised an eyebrow and so Lisa straightened her stand to listen more of Jennie’s words which were instantly discussed, “First things first, we’re now under the deal that my brother proposed. So, starting today, you’re my lover and I’m your girlfriend but don’t get it wrong. This is just a forged set-up. We’re just doing this because it’s our job. Obviously, we’re not even in love with each other for God’s sake.”

 

“I know!” Lisa responded. “Geez, you don’t have to remind me about that.”

 

“And also, to secure this secret, we’re not permitted to tell this to anyone, even to your parents of course. Well, maybe we can tell our close friends but make sure they won’t go around blabbering about it and ruining all our plans.” Jennie warned.

 

“I don’t have friends though, only Bam but I might not even tell him too. He got loud mouth.” Lisa muttered.

 

“Lastly, since we’re now in a relationship in the eyes of the public, our actions are now limited. We are not allowed to do the things like single people do around, especially inside this university, if you know what I mean. However, here’s the thing. You’re allowed to like or date anyone else if you wish to, as long as you won’t get caught. We can both do anything we want, no restrictions and let’s not mind each other’s businesses once we stepped out in this campus. Our job is to simply show off, that’s all.” Jennie went on discussing.

 

“Okay fine, everything’s noted.” Lisa said, nodding at every single word of warn from her serious girlfriend who’s so quick at explaining things.

 

“Just to make sure, you’re single right? We’re not ruining any relationships, right?” Jennie bluntly asked.

 

“I am single!” Lisa raised her voice. “How about you? Are you sure none of your fangirls will attack me?”

 

“I wouldn’t dare to enter this deal if I’m in a relationship and I know none of those fangirls you’re saying.” Jennie countered.

 

“How can she be so sweet and caring moments ago and now she’s turned so unfriendly and short-tempered? I can’t understand her mood swings. She’s so complicated! Does she have split personality or something?” Lisa thought at the view of Jennie’s back making her way to the exit.

 

“And oh by the way…” Jennie stopped halfway and got something in her pocket. “…here.” She then said, extending her arms towards Lisa.

 

Lisa walks closer to recognize the small purple bead in Jennie’s hands. Her eyes glitter at the sight of this important bead she’s holding and her there’s her bright smile showing again. “Oh my God! Where did you get this?” The overwhelmed Lisa gasped in happiness as she got the bead.

 

“It rolled over my foot at the cafeteria. I know it’s yours. I think it’s from your necklace.” Jennie merely said and continues on walking ahead of Lisa.

 

“Woah! You have no idea how important this is to me! It’s one of the beads of my necklace that mom gave to me!” Lisa squealed, almost tearing up from happiness.

 

Jennie was already a few feet away from Lisa but she didn’t let Jennie walk too much away though as her long arms reach out to pull her close for a back hug, giving her petite girlfriend a warm embrace around her shoulders while she buries her face onto her collar. There are no words, only that their world felt like it stopped for seconds, relishing the moment being shared. One thing is for sure, Jennie can clearly hear her fast unsteady heartbeats in the middle of silence.

 

“W-w-w-w-what are you doing?” The heated up Jennie tried to get out from the unexpected back hug but it’s too tight and Lisa’s too strong for her to escape from it.

 

“Thank you.” Lisa sincerely whispered and this terminated Jennie from shrugging her off.  When Lisa felt Jennie has already calmed down and eventually accepting her embrace, she went on whispering tenderly, “I’ll do my job properly as your lover. I won’t disappoint you. I promise.”

 

“You don’t have to be this serious and dramatic just because of a bead you know. And of course you have to do your job properly or else we’re both doomed if you don’t.” Jennie mumbled, still under Lisa’s affection.

 

“She’s so cold.” Lisa thought, referring to Jennie’s figure that she’s holding on and all of a sudden tightened her embrace, wanting to feel more of Jennie’s true warmth.

 

“Excuse me but can you let me go now? I have to discuss some things with my brother regarding this deal we got into.” Jennie demanded but never attempted to move on her own accord.

 

“Just a minute more, please.” Lisa requested back as a smile crept out of her lips and wholly suppressed her face onto Jennie’s collar, unintentionally sensing her girlfriend’s scent.

 

“I don’t know what’s gotten into your mind that you suddenly turned so clingy but you better keep your promise. If you do then I’ll also do my best to be your girlfriend and that will make us equal.” Jennie exhaled and let her needy lover to occupy her as requested and she never moved in her station any longer.

 

Lisa quietly nodded but in her mind, “Really, I don’t understand her but I’ll do my best.”

 

Later that same day, Jisoo, the most disappointed one with the revelation, is remarkably not in her best shape at the moment. The look that Jennie gave her, the way she just passed through her without a word and the way she was ignored, and the image of Jennie kissing Lisa by her forehead, all of these are stuck in her mind that she cannot shake it off no matter what she does. Even the stern look on her face cannot hide how upset she is as she wears this tiger look to anyone who meets her eyes.

 

“Okay unnie, that’s enough. You already have 50 strikes. Your shoulders will get sore tomorrow if you keep on doing this.” Rose said, stopping the older one from rolling another ball on the bowling alley as she snatched the ball away from her hands.

 

“I’m not done yet. You can go back to your classes if you want. I didn’t ask you to accompany me.” Jisoo said and grabbed another ball from the rack.

 

Rose noted on how cold Jisoo has become since the incident at the cafeteria. She watched at the time; certainly it’s way too early for them to be playing around as classes are still going on, yet they’re at a sports complex wasting time and cutting classes, which is very unusual for an obedient student like Jisoo who’s even a part of the student council.

 

Rose had no choice but to join her as she occupied the next alley. “We’re already here unnie. If I go back to the university then I’ll just be late for my next class so there’s no point. Since we’re now breaking the rules then let’s just enjoy the rest of the day.” She said with her focus on the pins she’s about to strike.

 

Jisoo blew loud in exasperation, “Did you know something about Jennie and Lisa’s relationship?”

 

“I know nothing. In fact, I was as shocked as you when Jennie-unnie announced it this morning. You’re thinking about it? Is this why you’re here right now bending out your frustrations?” Rose questioned.

 

“Who wouldn’t? Even those unrelated students were shocked and most probably they’re still talking about it around the campus up until now. What more for us?” Jisoo groaned as she rests her back against a wall. “I was right all along, that Jennie is hiding something from me but I didn’t expect that it’s this kind of secret. Who would have thought that she got a lover? Why didn’t I know anything about this? And of all people, it’s Lalisa Manoban? She could have at least told me, right? In the first place, I’m her best friend.” She then went on her rants that seem to have no end.

 

“Maybe she has her reasons? You see, it looks and sounds suspicious to me. Why would Jennie-unnie suddenly announce it to the public without consulting us first? Don’t you find it weird?” Rose fathomed, trying to put an ease to Jisoo’s doubts and struggling to be positive using her calm tone.   

 

“Whatever her reason is, she could have still told me and she hasn’t called me either. She’s just making herself more suspicious to me.” Jisoo sulked.   

 

“Well, you’re right. I’d be lying if I say it didn’t affect me either. I want to hear it out from Jennie-unnie herself… and from Lisa as well. I don’t know much about her yet but I know she’s not the easy type of girl. I don’t know but I just have this feeling that Lisa is not someone who’d do such things without reasons.” Rose lowly assumed as she rolled another ball to the alley with all her might.

 

“I guess Rose is definitely as affected as me. I wonder if she’s affected because of Lisa…” Jisoo doubted as she voices through her mind.

 

And so the night approached fast and Lisa’s done for her last part time job of the night. While she walks leisurely towards the bus stop going back home, she’s been thinking of how much happened in a single day. If yesterday she was just crying and frustrating over problems, now everything washed-out in just a snap of a finger. Yet, nonetheless, she has to face another challenge in which she’s not yet so sure of what to do, how to do it and the consequences she have to face.

 

“Lisa!” Someone parked a car on the street side, hitting the horns as he called her name.

 

“Ji-yong oppa!” Lisa recognized.

 

“Come, hop in. I’ll drive you back home. No more questions; just come and don’t be shy.” He insisted and the passenger seat’s door automatically opened for her.

 

As instructed and without further discuss

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter