Chapter 14 : Thousand Words

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 14 Thousand Words

 

There are thousand words that are yet to be spoken. Thousand words are deep within, left tacit but linger the heart and what left these words unsaid is distance, distance between them that isn’t supposed to be there dividing synced hearts. There thousands of confessions that cradle love and to speak of these words will mold love that has been searching for an answer, a love that will stand against all odds, a love that only them can form. A love that’s seasoned with bitterness yet tastes so sweet is a love tested by the heaviest storm.

 

After the joyous and festive day, the following day is a complete overturn. Yesterday was filled with smiles and laughter but this low-spirited morning at the mansion is packed with silence, frowns and nothing but doubts. All are still; all are mum munching another table full of dishes for breakfast. The gratification is nonetheless can’t be found in this small family gathered for dine. Everything tastes bland and rather plain regardless of how tasty the father swallows it.

 

Wiping his stained lips, the father breaks the thick silence inquiring his inattentive son, “So Ji-yong, how’s the company going in here while I was away?”

 

The son didn’t bother looking up from his plate as he rejoined quick, “It’s going well dad. There are some problems but it’s manageable in my part. It’s nothing to worry about.”

 

Then the interrogation moves to his immobile daughter, “How about you Jennie? Why aren’t you touching your food? Your mom personally cooked that for you.”

 

“Yes my dear. Why aren’t you eating?” The mother sadly followed up, both of the parents looking close at her.

 

Like her brother, she bothered not looking at her parents and replied aloof, “I don’t have appetite.”

 

Jennie’s short but honest reply only made things worse for them as the silence immersing turns denser it’s so heavy for them to carry, but not for the father who hasn’t shifted his eyes out from her. The half-opened eyes, those dark eye bags polluting her beautiful face, and those dry cheeks, the father detected all of it, assuming through the back of his mind that his daughter stayed up all night in her cries.

 

Accordingly, the strict father puts up a test, “I already found the right man for you. When do you want to meet him?”

 

This finally caught Ji-yong’s once negligent mind and butts in with protest, “Dad, why do you have to look for one that fast? Are you sure he’s even worth it? You only looked for him less than twenty-four hours.”

 

“I know Jennie said it herself that she wants to get engaged but we don’t have to rush things, right? Let’s give it some time. Besides, this is for Jennie’s future we’re talking about here.” The mother then also debated, siding with her son in building fury.

 

“I understand.” Jennie cuts the argument with her confirmation and she goes on agreeing monotonously, “I can meet him tonight if he’s available, whoever he is.”

 

The father leaned back to his seat and strictly ordered, “Okay then. I’ll make arrangement with him tonight. I’ll just send you the place where you can meet him. Make sure you’ll dress up well not to get humiliated. You decide whether he’s fine for you and if not then I’ll see to it that I’ll look for a new for you.”

 

“That’s too soon…” Ji-yong helplessly muttered.

 

“Sounds good to me.” Jennie nodded. But as soon as she said so, she violently got up from her seat, showing off an attitude that’s contrasting to her positive words. “I’m going out. Just send me a message for the venue and time. I’ll just go to a salon for my make over before I go there to meet him. There shouldn’t be a problem, right dad?” She then pronounced her proposal.

 

“If you say so then that should be fine.” The father said without holding back.

 

Jennie stormed out of the mansion, from banging the doors to going out without using her car but flagging a taxi out of the subdivision. And what’s left are the frustrated mother, the helpless brother and the contemplating father not moving in their seats. The mother is in so much frustration she soon lost her hunger just like her daughter. Ji-yong is in so much helplessness he stayed arrested in his seat while knowing he couldn’t do anything to reverse the father’s decision. Lastly the father is in deep thoughts he began staring into space.

 

The mother groans and throws a tantrum to her husband, “Why can’t we just cancel the engagement? I know Jennie said it herself but it’s obvious that it’s not what she really wants. Can’t you see, she’s just forcing herself for God’s sake! I’m sure she’s just forcing herself because of how things she and Lisa ended up! There’s so much thing we can do for her yet we’re resulting to this forced engagement!”

 

“Dad…” Ji-yong grimaced.

 

The father responds with a heavy slam on the table using his heavy hands, making everyone in the scene to frighten and zipped their blabbering mouths. Looking straight to his wife’s worried eyes, he steadily said, “I know what I’m doing and just watch. You’re the ones who told me that I should do something that a father would do for a daughter. I’m doing it, okay? I don’t know if it’s the right way, but I’m doing what I think will help our daughter. So, doubt at me all you want but I’ll do this for my daughter.”

 

He didn’t give either of them a time to argue back. He left the dining room giving Ji-yong some confusions and a small hint to his wife who knows the depths of him. With those composed yet strict-looking glares of her husband, the wife knew he got something under his sleeves. Henceforward, she went back to finishing her breakfast while Ji-yong sits there, disarrayed.

 

On that same bleak and cloudy morning, Rose in her room is taking her whole time for this weekend resting her weak body that’s improving from the unfortunate delirium she experienced. Together with her is Jisoo patiently attending to her needs, helping her in need friend for her much needed recovery. The past day for Rose has been dull but thanks to Jisoo whom she can only rely on at this time, her day so far is gradually brightening.

 

Watching Jisoo setting her medicines by her table from her bed, Rose smiles as she asserts, “Unnie, you don’t really have to look after me all the time. I can take care of myself.”

 

“Yeah right Chaeyoungie. You can’t even afford to stand by yourself in your bed. I don’t even know why you insisted on getting discharged from the hospital.” Jisoo returned cold but kind enough to hand over the medicines to the sick one in her bed.

 

“Sorry unnie. I feel uncomfortable in the hospital, that’s why. I’d rather stay at home.” Rose shyly said and accepted the medicines.

 

Jisoo sat on her bedside and then teases with a smirk, “Stay at home and have me look after you instead?”

 

Rose madly reddened from Jisoo unforeseen mock coming out from her careless mouth. She couldn’t stop that redness creeping from her cheeks going up all the way to her heating eyes, and thus she looked down as she replied faltering, “W-what are you talking about unnie? It’s n-not like that! Geez, you keep on blabbering unnecessary things!”

 

“Woah! You’re blushing!” Jisoo laughed, poking at Rose’s once pale cheeks that are now healthy red.

 

Rose rolled to the other side and shoved the teasing one to cover her blush that’s getting worse. “J-just go get me some food unnie. I’m hungry!” She then hardly spoke out of her shaky mouth.

 

“Yes ma’am~” Jisoo giggled.

 

Jisoo loves the sight of Rose being caught off guard and being so unexpectedly attractive when being teased. She has never looked at her this close before, and only this time she realized that this innocent friend of hers can be eye-catching too even with her current condition.  Her charms, her appeals and her charisma, Jisoo never thought of those before but now she is, that Rose is worth the attention.

 

“Unnie, your phone’s ringing…” Rose said so weak from the bed, looking up to Jisoo spacing out as she looks at her.

 

Jisoo blinked her eyes, waking up from her small fantasies to the reality only to feel her phone vibrating and ringing in her pocket. Upon looking at her phone, her face eventually darkened at each sentence she reads and eyes slowly widening at every scroll she makes as she receives this message, a message that can only make their day gloomier and more depressed than how it is already.

 

“No way…” Jisoo mumbled in disbelief.

 

Rose noted Jisoo’s expression that’s overshadowed. And so she asks in worries, “What’s wrong unnie?”

 

“Jennie… she’s getting engaged…” Jisoo muttered and gave a look of shock to Rose.

 

Jisoo definitely didn’t see this news coming, making her so frantic in her stand, mentally in a state of panic but physically frozen in her stand. The news came out of nowhere she cannot utter a single comment, ending up being so speechless and thunderstruck she couldn’t move an inch. As Jisoo least expected it to happen, she’s in a complete dismay.

 

Rose gasped in her bed due to shock that she had to sit up and reconfirms, “Are you serious unnie? But why? How did that happen?”

 

“It’s Ji-yong oppa. He sent me a message about it. He said Jennie said it herself that she wants to get engaged and followed their father’s orders. And Jennie is set to meet the man tonight.” Jisoo uttered so unfortunate she almost busted into tears.

 

“Oh no… Seriously, what the hell has gotten into her mind she resorted to that engagement? Also, tonight is too sudden!” Rose frowned.

 

In so much sadness, Jisoo went back sitting on the bedside. Her blood is boiling but trying so hard to contain all of it for Rose’s sake. A lot of things are starting to flow into her mind, she’s thinking of thousand possible reasons why Jennie resorted to an engagement she once said she’ll never accept but she can only come up with one, that only reason why Jennie thought of such move. As much as she doesn’t want to think of it, only one person can be the reason for all of the mess.

 

“Lisa…” Jisoo sighed. “She can only be the reason why Jennie accepted the engagement. Jennie genuinely loves Lisa but all she thought is that they can never be real.” She then sighed deeper and louder.

 

“I wonder if Lisa knows…” Rose wondered.

 

Jisoo is then forced to open up, “Her father knew about their deal and that their relationship is nothing but pretentious. Someone anonymous sent photos of you and Lisa together to her father and she had no choice but to admit it. Well, one of the photos Ji-yong oppa showed to me was when you kissed Lisa. When she saw it, she thought she can never stand a chance anymore and gave up on her.”

 

Rose forced her feeble body to sit up properly and straight from her bed as she contends, “No! That’s just a misunderstanding! It’s me who initiated it without Lisa’s permission! In fact I was rejected that time when I confessed and since then I haven’t talked to Lisa either. Lisa did nothing wrong and she loves Jennie-unnie! Those photos prove nothing!”

 

“I already had the feeling that it’s just a mere misunderstanding but that’s the problem Chaeyoung. Jennie doesn’t know about it. She’s blinded from the truth. Surely, even Lisa doesn’t know about anything of this yet.” Jisoo said.

 

Rose in remorse, let out her tears and pleads, “Unnie, please let’s stop it. This isn’t right anymore. Is there anything we can do? Everything’s so messed up! Let’s fix this unnie, please. We cannot wait for another day! We should do something before it’s too late!”

 

“Okay. I’ll do, for Jennie’s sake.” Jisoo helplessly said.

 

On the other hand, there goes Lisa arranging for her morning that’s most likely to be a work-filled day at her Saturday part time job. Because of the previous day’s full period activities, her body aches in so much pain, from severe muscle pains to a bit headache. Though she cannot straighten her sore back as she walks out of her apartment and arches in groans, she forced herself with the help of some patches all over her body that’s not helping at all.

 

As she continues on walking out and far from her block, she keeps on groaning with cusses, “Dammit! These medicines aren’t working at all! Why did I even exert all my energy yesterday?”

 

She asked herself but she knows the answer nevertheless. It’s all because of Jennie who was there to support her, to watch her and cheered for her until the end. All she wanted was to show off the result of her efforts for months she worked hard for. All she wanted was to make Jennie proud of her, at least in the eyes of the father who was beside her during the performance. Not knowing the real circumstance happening behind her back, Lisa genuinely smiled with all these lovely thoughts of Jennie while walking ahead.

 

“It’s been a while, Lalisa Manoban…”

 

However, smiling through her way, Lisa was blocked by two black familiar cars and a terror man in his business suit standing tall in front of a bodyguard. Looking straight to his eyes darting straight and piercing through her terrified eyes is the strict father of Jennie she never thought would meet her in such an unexpected time and place. Lisa froze right there, in her stance that’s immobilized and can only be speechless at the man’s pleasant greeting for her.

 

The man didn’t receive any reaction from his greetings, and so he asks in peace, “Can I have a minute or two of your time?”

 

The man was calm, but his deep husky voice didn’t change making Lisa to be more frightened of him and his presence. She though knew she cannot run away and no way to escape to only make things worse. Hence, she ended up nodding as she’s barely uttering, “Y-yes, m-minute will do, sir…”

 

“Well, I only came here to tell you that my daughter is getting engaged and she’s set to meet her fiancé tonight. But don’t get it wrong, it wasn’t me who insisted and forced her. It was Jennie who said it herself that she wants to get engaged and has accepted the offer. It directly came out of and I can’t possibly say no, right? For that reason, I already made an urgent arrangement as well, as ordered by my daughter.” The father straightforwardly said without breaks, without hesitancies and not a tint of uncertainties while he kept his eyes stabbing Lisa’s wide teary eyes.

 

Depressed, drained, dejected and destroyed, altogether and that’s how Lisa’s heart burned into pieces. She couldn’t move, her eyes are wide still, not flashing and in the midst of tears. She’s so broken she couldn’t talk. She’s so wrecked she lost her words and thoughts, being blanked and dumbfounded. Her once warm hands have gone cold, her soring muscles totally sapped. She’s become so intoxicated and stifled from this information that blasted her morning.

 

Finally letting out these tears that were forming in her eyes, Lisa voiced, “You can’t be serious…”

 

“Unfortunately for you, I am serious.” He said directly.

 

Lisa howled, not caring how the man would think of her bleeding growls, “How can that happen? Jennie wouldn’t say and decide such thing! She never told me about it and never once she opened up to me about it! There’s no way Jennie will do something that’s against her will!”

 

The man forwards to Lisa and he whispers closely not to let his men surrounding him hear his words, “You’re busted; about your deal and everything you’re doing while I was away. In fact, I even know you’re in a relationship with one of her closest friends. There’s no way you can evade now Lisa. It’s all over. You cannot do anything about it anymore. Just accept it and end this game of yours.”

 

Lisa clearly heard him word by word, only to make her broken heart be at its worst. She’s in deep thoughts, in extreme anxiety but somehow manages to speak out for argument, “Even if that’s the case, even if you knew it all, that doesn’t justify why Jennie accepted the engagement. Moreover, just to correct your misleading information, I’m not in a relationship with someone else! I don’t know where you heard that from but it’s only your daughter I’ve loved.”

 

“Really now, Lalisa Manoban, you’re saying that you love my daughter?” The man questioned.

 

Despite of her swollen tearing eyes, Lisa gave him a look of determination as she bravely said, “I do and she has yet to know that.”

 

After heeding Lisa as clear as how she heeded him, the man tended back from harassing her and lastly pulled back those fierce looks of him. As if he’s at ease and contended, he jotted down an address on a piece of paper and hands it to Lisa’s cold hands saying, “Whatever you say, my daughter has decided on her own and it’s too late for you to be saying that, don’t you think? I won’t be there to witness their meeting as I’ll be on a business meeting and will be away until tomorrow. So I’ll leave tonight’s event to my daughter. Until we meet again, Lalisa Manoban.”

 

The man didn’t give Lisa another chance to argue further and make their looping conversation any longer. He left as soon as he handed the paper and drove passed by the stunned Lisa who cannot do anything at the moment but to cry out loud, garnering attention from the few passersby and nearby residents of the area.

 

The time is running out for all of them as the clock ticks forward faster than those of ordinary days. Every second counts for anyone, especially for Jisoo who holds the key to the truth behind all these confusions and mess caused by their tangled love desires. The sinful night between her and Jennie still lingers her heart but knowing she has to do something right this time around, she forced herself way to Jennie’s mansion, in hopes to meet her best friend and meet her face-to-face even though with the fact that it might somehow, still, break her.

 

“Jisoo, what are you doing here?” Ji-yong welcomed the rampant Jisoo as soon as she stepped inside the mansion. 

 

Jisoo wanders her eyes everywhere while she queries with a demand, “Oppa, where’s Jennie? I need to talk to her now. There’s something I need to tell her urgently. That damn engagement shouldn't push through!”

 

Ji-yong can only give her a frown and an unfortunate answer, “She already went out. I guess she won’t be coming back until after she met the man. She didn’t even use her car so that we cannot track her movements. I’ve sent some people to look after her but to no luck she’s nowhere to be found still. Dad won’t even tell us where the meeting place is. Only the two of them know about it.”

 

Jisoo exhaled out her frustration that doubled at the disastrous news. “Dammit, if only I knew about it and came here earlier then I could have told her everything!”

 

Puzzled, Ji-yong clarifies, “Told her what?”

 

“Lisa loves her oppa and she doesn’t know that. All she thought is that Lisa is just doing everything because it’s her job to love her and everything’s just fake but that’s not the case. I already confirmed this with Lisa myself and Jennie should know that and if she knew, I’m sure she wouldn’t think of the engagement. Moreover, Lisa doesn’t know Jennie’s feelings too and because of this everything have so messed up! Their beliefs and thoughts never crossed that’s why all of these things are happening. Also, the photos that were sent just added up to the confusion.” Jisoo declared, coming out clean from all she’s been hiding.

 

“Why didn’t you tell her earlier?” Ji-yong confronted.

 

Jisoo then reasons out in dread, “I was planning to tell Jennie, okay? I was planning on telling her everything after the Foundation Day but who would have thought this will happen, right? Besides, I don’t want to ruin the Foundation Day that’s why I decided to keep it all for the mean time. If only this didn’t happen then I could have told her anytime today.”

 

“You’re right. Even I didn’t expect Jennie will think of such a thing…” Ji-yong sighed in defeat.

 

“Is that true?”

 

Both Jisoo and Ji-yong were startled from Lisa’s voice coming out of nowhere. Behind them by the mansion’s main entrance is Lisa, an out of breath yet flaming Lisa with all the overpowered servants she pushed away to enter the mansion surrounding her. Similarly, she got no time to waste, she’s not letting any second pass by and raided this mansion where she thought she can locate Jennie, but only to witness and hear a conversation she wanted to hear all this time.

 

“Lisa, why are you here?” Ji-yong asked dumbfounded.

 

Lisa parades towards them and questions in return, “You know why I’m here oppa. And what’s this I just heard? Is there something going on behind my back that I didn’t know of? First I suddenly found out that Jennie is getting engaged. I was accused of being in a relationship with someone else without my knowledge and lastly this. What the hell is going on? Why is everyone talking of things that I know nothing of?”

 

“What’s going on here?” The mother then later joined the scene by the living room after maids have reported the commotion.

 

Jisoo was full, and she ends up bursting out her frustration towards Lisa not caring of anyone’s presence, “Jennie is getting engaged all because of you!”

 

“Jisoo, calm down.” The mother tried to come in between but the two fuming women didn’t let anyone to stop them.

 

Jisoo continues on ranting, “Because Jennie loves you, because all she thinks of is you, because all she cares about is your damn freedom, because all she wants is to see you smiling comfortably, she decided to set you free!”

 

Ji-yong then also approached with the photos in his hand, handing it over to Lisa to make it clearer as he also opens up, “These were sent to our father before the Foundation Day. It seems like Jennie misunderstood it and concluded things on her own. You see, she was so excited to watch your final rehearsal that day but then all these photos came to us.”

 

“As much as I hate to admit this but Jennie loves you so much even way back before. She never looked at me the way she looks at you. She never gets mad of me the way she gets mad at you. She never laughed and smiled with me the way she does with you. That’s why I know, even if she didn’t tell me that she loves you.” Jisoo followed up but staring down while she hears her own heart shattering.

 

With her trembling hands Lisa grasped onto the photos that came like nightmare for her. That’s when it all came back to Lisa; the distance Jennie is giving her, those unusual moods she manifests, her mother’s words that gave her uneasiness, the real reason behind her absence during the final rehearsal, that song she delivered on that bright stage was indeed for her, that last message she sent to her before the performance was her last, and lastly that smile and support she fully gave was her silent goodbye.

 

“Why…” Lisa cried. “Why didn’t she come to me and talked about it? She’s been smiling to me and has been acting so tough. She assured me everything’s fine and that nothing’s wrong yet here I am being left out from all this idiocy! Here I am being set free while I’m not aware any of it. This is bull!” She then cursed in a loud roar as she crumpled all the photos, throwing it towards Jisoo.

 

“Lisa…”

 

“So all of you knew about this?” Lisa went on barking and began pointing blame to everyone around the mansion, including the servants who can only stand far from the fight. “All of you knew and none of you bothered to approach me and told me about it? All this time I was thinking of making it real with her but all this time she has been suffering and thinking of ending everything with me! For once have you thought what she’d feel, how I’d feel and how we’ll end up because of you selfishly hiding everything from me?” She then cried out loud.

 

Jisoo couldn’t help herself but to argue back with a higher tone, “Before you blame everything to us, why don’t you look at yourself first and ask yourself why didn’t you, in the first place, confessed to her before all this messed happened?”

 

“Jisoo for God’s sake please stop. You’re just making things worse.” Ji-yong again tried to break the two from their endless argument.

 

Jisoo never listened and let her emotions to take over. If before it was Lisa who conquered her first, now it’s her time to hover her, grabbing her by the collar as she goes on yelling, “You come here and bend all your emotions to us! If only you confessed to her before I had her in my arms, if only you’re not a coward to realize what you truly feel for her and if only you’re not dumb and noticed everything beforehand then Jennie wouldn’t end up like this!”

 

The composed mother signaled the servants, separating Lisa and Jisoo to end the building fight. While Jisoo cries in anger, Lisa sobs in guilt and the helpless bystanders watch them breaking down. Lisa is losing it all, from her composure to keeping her mind and thoughts straight. She cannot process anything, not a single idea and a single way to stop the mess. None at all, a total zero hopes for her due to this argument which Jisoo won.

 

“Lisa, my dear, please leave for now. I know it’s hard but please let us all stop this useless fight. Nothing will happen if we’ll all blame one another while the time is moving, right?” The mother stepped forward, facing Lisa as she wipes her overflowing tears streaming down from her eyes. Then she moves to Jisoo pleading, “You too Jisoo. I know you’re worried for Jennie as much as we do but I beg you to stop this at once and help each other, will you do it for me?”

 

“Mom is right. The one who needs us the most is my sister. Surely, if she sees you like this she would be more miserable than how she might be right now. Let’s help each other to solve this instead of staying here doing nothing.” Ji-yong settled and everyone soon went to peace.

 

Lisa stepped out as wished, going on her own way and doing her own way to locate Jennie. Her mind is still on rage, her molding thoughts still have a lot to say, is yet to spit more fire but cannot do so unless she meets Jennie personally. And at the same time, Rose meanwhile isn’t being left out from all that’s happening, all the chaos they unintentionally commenced, all the misunderstandings resulted to the worst case thanks to Jisoo’s constant call she never missed despite of the battle she just had.

 

“Unnie, how is it going? Have you talked to Jennie-unnie?” Rose worriedly asked the second she picked up the urgent call.

 

Jisoo however can only give her series of bad news as she sadly replies, “No luck. She’s not at the mansion. She’s not answering any of our calls, even from her brother and even her mother. I just ended up arguing with Lisa again. She barged in to the mansion and we just had a fight. It seems like she heard about the engagement just this morning too.”

 

“What should we do now unnie? All we know is that she’ll meet the man tonight. We don’t even know the time or anything else.” Rose asked, getting desperate staring at the time then looking outside through the windows as the sun is slowly setting from the dusk.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know too. Even Jennie’s mother seems to have given up already. It looks like she’s not doing anything or trying to confront her husband at least. She’s just calm like her daughter isn’t on the verge of sacrificing her freedom.” Jisoo said as she criticized over the attitude of Jennie’s mother that’s so collected and cool.

 

Jisoo is starting to get hopeless as her tone and her energy are totally all worn out but not for Rose whose hopes are still on. Even with the constant reminder from Jisoo that she’s not at fault, but by herself she’s induced that she is, not fully but partially. Aside from Jisoo she’s contacting and keeping in touch ever since the Foundation Day, she hasn’t reached out to anyone just yet, neither Lisa nor her parents abroad and lastly Jennie.

 

“Maybe if it’s me, I wonder if Jennie-unnie will answer…” Rose thought.

 

In the meantime, searching from all possible places where Jennie is, Lisa ends up finding none. No clues, not a hint and not a gossip she heard from all the people she asked to. From going to bars, to the shopping district and even to the closed night club where she used to play, she’s nowhere to be located. She hasn’t done a second of rest, giving it all while ignoring this body pain she’s enduring since her day started as long as she can see Jennie.

 

Her last resort, the mountain top where Jennie once said she goes to whenever she wants to be alone. The place is unfortunately vacant with only the bushes and grasses swaying along with the heavy strong wind but the empty space where they once shared a moment gave Lisa something to trigger the worst yet soon to be the best out of her.

 

“This…” Lisa accidentally stepped something hiding under the thickening grasses.

 

She knelt down taking a closer look to the familiar bracelet she stepped on and beside it is an empty cup of milk ice cream which was just recently consumed, seconds or minutes ago as the water beads are still forming on the surface. The ice cream cup was a good sign for Lisa, supposing that Jennie did visit the same place but this bracelet she picked up is the bad news. There’s no way Lisa cannot recognize this decorative bracelet as it is her who personally bought it and even the one who wore it around Jennie’s flawless wrist but now it’s here, thrown away on a memorable place for them both.

 

“Jennie… why…” Lisa eventually breaks down, losing all her remaining energy as she squatted by the grasses, looking at the city lights from the top shining one by one to start the night.

 

Only the happy memories, the momentous events and Jennie’s trademark gummy smile are being flashed back to her rumbling mind, to her collapsing resolves. Thinking of these kinds of meaningful times can only give her worse heartache, more tears in her cries and breathlessness between her hard sobs. And just when she thought she has no one to lean on, no one to cry on and no one to depend on, she realized she still have her parents far from her who are calling her at such a time she needs them the most.

 

Lisa cleared to act normal as she kindly answers the call, “Hey…”

 

“Lisa, guess what? This proud dad of yours just got promoted at work! Isn’t it amazing? I heard it’s the President himself who recommended me for promotion. Isn’t he your girlfriend’s father? Make sure to thank them once you met again.” Her father happily informed, oblivious of his daughter’s situation just yet.

 

“Really? T-that’s great dad! Congratulations!”

 

Lisa said so, but no way can she fool her father from sugarcoating her sobs with a jolly tone. Her continuous sobs after her fake reaction is too clear for the father not to hear her. Her short response which used to be so long like an essay is so unusual for the father not to notice it too. Everything’s too noticeable for Lisa to hide behind that phone call.

 

The father retreats his smiles as he shifts to a serious and anxious tone, “What’s wrong?”

 

Lisa knew her covers are caught and knew she cannot evade. And listening to her father’s worried voice breaks her out more, making it so hard for her to voice out properly but nonetheless she breathlessly speaks, “Dad, it’s over. Jennie’s getting engaged… it’s over dad…”

 

“What? Why, tell me what happened?” The father unintentionally raised his voice in shock.  

 

Lisa continues on with her cries, “We’re over dad. I lost her.”

 

“Listen Lisa, have you talked to her? Have you seen her today?” The father asked.

 

“How can I even talk to her if I can’t find her? I couldn’t even tell her how I really feel!” Lisa wept.

 

“Idiot!” The father yelled which took Lisa by surprise that her sobs halted in an instant. “Then why are you saying that you already lost her when you haven’t even told her about how you feel? If you love her then why are you letting her get engaged without even seeing her? Why are you letting it to happen?” He then went on yelling through the phone.

 

“B-but dad, that’s—“

 

“What but?” The father immediately cut her off, giving her no time and not a chance to argue. “I don’t remember raising a coward daughter! I can only remember raising a fearless and stubborn daughter who doesn’t know the word ‘give up’! I don’t have a pathetic daughter who’s crying and just sitting around doing nothing while losing something important!” He lectured.

 

“Dad…” Lisa softly called out as she felt her guts slowly boosting.

 

Returning back to his calmness, the father gently said, “Don’t say you’ve lost her until you see a ring wrapped around her ring finger that’s given by someone else and not you. Don’t say it’s over until you see her wearing a wedding dress and being walked by another that’s not you. Lastly, don’t say everything’s over until you’ve told her what you really feel and unless she rejects you eye-to-eye. We raised a fighter and courageous daughter and we’re expecting her to be like that especially at times like this. Did you hear me, Lalisa?”

 

Lisa stares at the bracelet tied around her wrist, and then going to that cheap bracelet she’s gripping in her other hand. Certainly, the words and the constructive criticisms coming directly from her father are motivating her once hopeless self and devastated heart. Slowly, she’s picking up her broken pieces to form a formidable challenge that she’s ready to face.

 

As she stood up, Lisa belatedly replies to her father, “I heard you loud and clear dad.”

 

“If that’s the case then you’re good to go.” The father said in calm as he finally heard a soft giggle coming out from his daughter’s once shaking lips.

 

“And oh by the way dad, congratulations. I mean it this time.” Lisa smiled.

 

“Okay, whatever. Congratulate me again if you got your girl back in your arms. You’re lucky that your mom is out to buy groceries or else we’re both dead here.”

 

Lisa made sure she has formed back her resolution before she ended the call with a confident smile. Notwithstanding of having zero clues, she moves out once again to continue on with the search under the starless night sky that’s covered with clouds preparing to drop heavy fall of rain. Every second counts, every step is delicate and every space she looks at is regarded. She has gone to other districts and to the neighboring city but she still receives zero result of Jennie’s whereabouts.

 

“Damn! I’ve already searched everywhere! Please don’t tell me they’ll meet overseas…” Lisa panted while she continues on jogging on the sidewalks and roaming her eyes far ahead of her, from side to side through the windows of the restaurants she pas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter