Chapter 4 : The Making of Destiny

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4 The Making of Destiny

 

Once this biased world seems to be falling apart and sleeps on bad state of affairs, destiny makes a move to take its place, may it be a right time or a wrong time. Since this thing called destiny is mysterious as it’s an unwritten story, it will come along, may they be prepared or not. After all, the decisions they make in the present determine their destiny. Destiny nevertheless doesn’t always start bright and most often times it starts bad but eventually turns into something that they can be thankful for.

 

In this mansion that’s so spacious yet covered with dark atmosphere amongst the people living in it, the sunny morning filled with the most delicious breakfast served on the table turned to be like a night with people having their own visions. The maids, butlers and servers can barely hear a word coming out from this silent family’s mouths which makes their work a lot heavier and harder. With only the clashing sounds of forks and plates being heard echoing all over the expansive dining room, none dared to break the silence.

 

Not until one had enough and decided to talk in reluctance, “I might be coming home late tonight. I’ll have some meetings to attend. I have to meet some people that are involved with our project in Thailand. I have to clear things up before you go there dad to make sure we’ll succeed.”

 

“Good to hear that from you Ji-yong. Keep it up.” The father basically praised his son settled on his left side and went back from being silent.

 

His wife then seated on his right side wants to keep the conversation going. Thus, she examines this indifferent daughter of hers inactive beside her, “How about my Jennie? How’s school? Are you doing well?”

 

Not looking up from her fixated eyes on her plate, the cold Jennie returned, “How can I do well? I’ve been experiencing hell since the week started. I’m being treated like a dog and this wouldn’t happen if that man sitting in there didn’t have an agreement with the administrator.”

 

“Watch your mouth you brat!” The father raised his voice and everyone around them jolted in their positions, shaken at his sudden wrath.

 

Jennie finally looked up from her plate only to give her father a dirty look and alleged, “Why dad? I’m just stating the truth. If you didn’t stick your nose then I wouldn’t be serving like a maid in the university!”

 

“That wouldn’t happen if only you’re obedient with my orders and you followed the school rules! Don’t blame all your mistakes on me when it’s you who’s making it!” The father is now roaring that even his wife and his son cannot do anything to stop them from fighting.

 

“I’m not your robot!” Jennie slammed the table but refusing to get up from her seat. “First you forced me to take a course that I never wanted, then you forced me into an engagement and marry a man I’ve never met! And now this! What do you expect dad? Are you actually expecting me to be so obedient when I’m getting choked?” She boomed louder to the point her voice cracked at the high pitch.

 

“That’s enough! Why did you even end up talking about those things again?” The mother tried to stop.

 

But it’s not enough to stop the burning father as he stood up in his seat to argue further with his daughter, “Really this kid! Is that what you’ll tell to the man who kept you and let you live under this roof? And yes, I’m still planning on letting you get engage so you better get ready and break up with that useless girlfriend of yours who doesn’t even have the guts to show herself to me!”

 

“Who told you we’re breaking up? Keep dreaming dad but I and my lover will never break up! So stop with that illusion of yours that I’ll be marrying a man of your dreams, not mine!” Jennie recklessly held which alerted Ji-yong’s attention from his position.

 

“Then bring her here and show her face to us!” The father challenged before he left the dining room, leaving his unfinished breakfast then later followed by their mother to check on her husband.

 

“Aish, why did they even end up fighting over that matter? Seriously, I don’t understand these two whenever they fight. They remember every single random thing.” The exasperated Ji-yong groaned in his seat and sent all the maids and servants out of the dining room as he was left with Jennie.

 

“I guess I just made it worse, that fake lover thing.” Jennie was heard sighing on her seat after calmed down from the chaos she created herself.

 

“I’m glad you know. I’m having a hard time searching for your lover and yet you just said you’re not breaking up. You’re just reducing the chance to zero and you’re just digging your own grave.” Ji-yong mocked and Jennie can only grouch in response.

 

“Whatever. If you can’t find one then I’ll just keep on escaping whenever there’s an engagement party.” Jennie said with such coolness, making her brother to become more hopeless of her.

 

Moving on, Ji-yong asks out of his curiosity as he continues munching the breakfast, “By the way, it surprised me that you’re actually obeying and doing your corrective actions. Are you really serving at the university’s cafeteria? I was actually expecting you to ditch it.”

 

Hearing that is sufficient for Jennie to grumble in annoyance at the memory of Lisa’s face popping out of nowhere in her mind. “I got blackmailed.” She then irritably admitted.

 

“Woah! The great Jennie Kim got blackmailed? That’s new! So, who’s this person who blackmailed you?” Ji-yong sniggered but immediately halted when Jennie threw him a death glare from across the long table.

 

“Lalisa Manoban, that poor student who acquired my records from that damn administrator. She’s using it to lure me and force me to work. I can’t possibly let her announce to everyone in the campus about my misconducts. My image will surely get ruined then everyone would be talking about me being a burden for this family. And I can imagine dad throwing me out of this mansion if that happens. That girl Lalisa Manoban is my worst nightmare.” Jennie explained while gritting her teeth tightly together in anger.

 

“Lalisa, huh? She must be pretty tough to go head-to-head with you.” Ji-yong said.

 

This prominent university is not as dark as the mansion’s impression. The mood may not be as bright as the sun’s rays beaming down the soccer field because of the continuous lectures and surprise exams from the industrious professors but for Jisoo who is currently at her class doesn’t feel the same way. Well, only for the time being especially now that she’s randomly doodling at the back of her notes while she secretly exchanging text messages with Jennie who just sent her a message from under her table.

 

The first message from Jennie stated, “Why haven’t you visited me at the cafeteria yet? I waited for you last time. I was expecting my milk ice cream too.”

 

Jisoo couldn’t contain her low chuckles as she thought of Jennie’s lips pouting with her chubby cheeks puffing like a baby boy while she was sending the message. Added to it was the crying emoticons followed right after.

 

Smiling at her phone, Jisoo quickly tapped her reply, “Aigoo~ my Jendeukie is sulking again. I’m sorry, your Chichu right here got some emergency to work on.”

 

Not long after that, Jisoo received another quick reply, “You also broke your promise that you’ll be my first customer. Seriously Chichu, I’ll hate you if you’ll break another promise and I’ll start calling you unnie next time for sure. But really, I miss you now.”

 

Jisoo smiled wide at Jennie’s honest thoughts. She finds it cute and adorable reading Jennie’s messages but could have been more appealing if only she can see her in person and actually hearing those words coming out from .

 

“Kim Jisoo…”

 

Jisoo heard someone calling out her name but she’s so busy getting drowned with her imaginations of Jennie’s face that she ignored this familiar voice. Like an idiot, she even grinned wider and typed another reply, “Okay. Okay. I got it. This time it’s real. I’ll visit you at the cafeteria after my classes. I’ll bring lots of ice cream so that we can also enjoy it with Rose. Wait for us, got it?”

 

“For the second and last time, Kim Jisoo!”

 

“Kyah!” The inattentive Jisoo got alarmed from her professor’s loud deep voice which came from just right beside her and almost got deaf from the shout.

 

Jisoo nervously looked up from her phone only to see her professor glaring down at her and completely caught her doodling on her note but not using her phone. Everyone in the class laughed at Jisoo’s initial reaction as she just forced a stiff laugh out of her speechless mouth. Thankfully, her fast reflex was able to straightaway hide her phone under her shirt, evading a serious detention.

 

“What’s wrong with you today Jisoo? I’ve been looking at you during the class discussion and you seem to be smiling by yourself. Are you playing with your phone? Phones are not allowed during classes!” The professor questioned and tried to around Jisoo.

 

“N-no! Why should I use my phone during class? That’s a violation, right? As a member of student council of course I’m aware of that rule.” Jisoo lied with a fake smile yet the convinced professor believed.

 

“Keep yourself together Kim Jisoo. I don’t want to see you spacing out again next time, okay?” The professor concluded and Jisoo shyly nodded.

 

“It’s your fault Jendeuk! Prof almost caught me! I’ll meet you later.” Jisoo sent her last message before she slipped back her phone to her pocket.

 

As Jennie reads the message from Jisoo, she is trying to hide her laughter under her palms while she’s walking towards the cafeteria to start her duty, her nightmare. Her smile however didn’t last long as she saw Lisa at the counter area already, punctually starting her duty. For a while, Jennie just stood at the entrance to watch Lisa working from afar. She looks at her from top to bottom, on how ordinary she is, on how her face is so plain yet her smile radiates to the students she’s serving even if some are teasing her for her expulsion issue.

 

“How can she smile like that despite of her problems? She’ll be expelled soon yet she still has the guts to smile.” Jennie asked herself as she wondered with her arms crossed and intensely ogling that wide stretch on Lisa’s lips.

 

“Until when will you stand there and stare at me?” Lisa shouted after catching Jennie off guard from her stance. “You’re not planning on just standing there and watch me work, right? You’re five minutes late, go and grab your apron now, sun.bae.nim.” She then teased as she shamelessly ordered the older and more powerful woman.

 

“And how dare she order me around?” Jennie rolled her eyes before she heavily marched to the locker room.

 

 Jennie went on to proceed to the locker room wherein the aprons and other things were placed. There’s no one in that room aside from her who is freely walking around to delay and waste the time. However, upon sighting an unattended familiar backpack on top of a squared table, her strides halted and her devilish smirk formed on her lips.

 

“Oh, how lucky I am to see the loser’s bag in here.” Jennie evilly grinned as she approached the bag. “That damn paper should be here.”

 

Jennie double-checked her surroundings to make sure there’s no one to catch her. She slowly and silently ped the bag and started searching Lisa’s things without her consent. In other words, Jennie’s searching for the paper to steal it, that one paper she considers her nightmare.

 

“Books… books… and books… what a nerd…” Jennie muffled to herself as she’s been touching nothing but books and notebooks inside of Lisa’s bag.

 

It didn’t take long though when she pulled out a folded paper that she’s aiming for. Like it’s shining in her eyes, Jennie almost teared now that the paper is in her hands and smiling so wide victoriously. She also started jumping around in joy like she won a lottery while she thinks “Finally, that loser doesn’t have anything against me now!”

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Jennie stopped from jumping when she heard Lisa’s voice coming from the door behind her as she calmly asked. At first, Jennie coldly said with her back facing Lisa, “I’m preparing. Can’t you see?”, but when she toned that her footsteps are inching closer, she moved away from her position and was forced to say with the paper in her hand, “Next time, don’t leave your things unattended. I can bite, you know.”

 

Lisa’s eyes have gone widen as she realized that her bag and her things were disordered on the table then there’s that one important paper in Jennie’s hands. She immediately rushed to her bag while Jennie’s there watching her and giggling at Lisa’s panic state.

 

“Yah! What the hell did you do to my things? You know that I can report you to the administrator for stealing!” Lisa said while she fixed her backpack before turning back her attention to the wicked Jennie who’s not that far from her leaning against one of the lockers.

 

“Oh yeah, but you got no evidence loser. It’s just the two of us in here.” Jennie smirked and Lisa completely lost her words.

 

“Give… that… back.” Lisa slowly yet clearly uttered the words one by one.

 

“Why should I? I’m not an idiot! Of course I’ll go and throw this away. This damn paper right here has been causing me some trouble.” Jennie said.

 

“I said give it back!” Lisa shrieked.

 

“And if I won’t?” Jennie raised an eyebrow and even raised the paper up to more.

 

Lisa exhaled loud hot breaths which for some reason made Jennie nervous that her devilish grin disappeared. Lisa’s eyes are evidently scorching with her eyebrows meeting at the center that even Jennie’s sharp eyes can’t take long to exchange glares and ended up looking away to the side. Okay, she’s serious. This isn’t good. That’s what Jennie thought and so, her guts dictated her leg muscles to make an escape and run away from this fuming Lisa.

 

As Jennie made a successful escape out of the locker, Lisa chased her outside using her long legs and shouted, “Don’t you dare escape on me you spoiled brat!”

 

Jennie didn’t stop from running until she’s able to exit out of the cafeteria. The chase didn’t stop nonetheless as Lisa decided to play with Jennie’s little chasing game. Like Tom and Jerry who are running around while the other one desperately chase the latter, the two eventually started running all around the campus, with Lisa chasing the speedy Jennie from the catwalks all the way to the corridors and occasionally bumping some students blocking their ways.

 

“Dammit she’s so fast!” Jennie whines while she runs faster going over her limit after grasping Lisa is only a few meters away from her when she tried to look back a split second.

 

Having nowhere to go, Jennie saw the back door of the auditorium ahead of her open and hence she had no choice but to enter in that crampy storage room filled with dusty boxes on high shelves. It was a dead end for her and her only time to catch all those breaths she lost while running. She just stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter