Chapter 2 : The Girl in Her Chains

We're Together as Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 The Girl in Her Chains 

 

Others have exact space in their homes for their family while this one small yet showered with richness family have spacious mansion. Others have small backyards while they have expansive backyard installed with a swimming pool. Sometimes, others can’t afford to set up second floors and additional rooms for their homes but they have carpeted upstairs with series of rooms that are vacated yet very well-organized. Others may have one car enough for their small family while they have dozens; others are unused and only displayed.

 

However, there’s one thing that normal people have that this rich family don’t have. Ordinary people can get happiness for free but for this family that’s coated with wealth and money, even a single smile shall be controlled inside this bright lighted mansion. Well, that’s how this woman dressed in white Gucci dress feels for this momentous night. Inside her capacious room, she sits in front of her white huge dresser filled with her make-up set that are for a high class. Staring at herself while lifelessly combing her long straight hair, she feels empty that she can’t find a way to smile at herself.

 

“You look so dry Jennie Kim. How can you face your fiancé looking so plain and unhappy? Dad’s going to kill you…” The woman talked to herself so boring that she herself can’t determine if she’s happy or not.

 

“You’re not yet engaged so don’t call that dude your fiancé yet, you brat Jen.”

 

Jennie, the girl in drought, jolted up from her chair as she heard a voice approaching and coming in to her room. She knew the character of that cute yet manly voice but still, her unprepared self didn’t see it coming.

 

“Not because you’re my brother, you can come in without even knocking at my door first.” Jennie coldly said while she debates to the man through the mirror’s reflection.

 

The man, her brother, chuckled and stood behind her saying, “Excuse me missy but you forgot to close your door. Also, I knocked three times but you’re spacing out and kept talking to yourself. I just thought I needed to stop you before you get totally insane.”

 

Jennie extremely flushed and looked away from him. She continues on fixing herself by putting on her make-up which she left untouched for an hour now. Yet, upon trying to do so, she’s failing and her brother is just watching her from behind but not laughing nor teasing. There’s an evident uneasiness with her hands and there’s no way that even herself can’t feel it.

 

“Don’t force yourself.” The fed up brother stopped Jennie by holding her cold hands and dropping off the eye pencil from her hands. “You know I hate to see you like this.” He then softly said.

 

“But oppa, the maid said that our guests are already waiting at the dining area. I have to hurry. Dad might end up dying if I won’t show up.” Jennie said so low as if she regretted that she just stated.

 

“I do know very well that you hate dad but that’s not what I’m talking about though.” Her brother sighed and this time he guided Jennie’s thin shoulders to face him as he kneeled in front of her. “You obviously don’t know the man, Jen. And surely, you don’t even love him a single heartbeat. You don’t have to get engaged with him.”

 

“But oppa…” Jennie is in the midst of crying her brother immediately hushed her.

 

Her brother stood up and grabbed car keys from his pocket. He placed it on top of the dresser and said with a wink, “You see, my car is way faster than yours. I just bought the latest model a week ago. You can use it for a test drive.”

 

With that evil smirk from her brother, Jennie immediately knew what he’s trying to say but she failed to utter a single word as she’s speechless of her brother’s plan with a bit open.

 

“Don’t give me that look!” Her brother chortled at Jennie’s kitten-like gaze. “And oh, I almost forgot to tell you that your outfit certainly doesn’t suit you.” He criticized before making his way to his sister’s dressing room near the bathroom grabbing a black leather jacket, ripped jeans and her black boots on the shoe rack then he straightforwardly said as he tossed all of it to her, “Here. Those things fit you better. Go and change now.”

 

Jennie, as a revenge, she also criticized with a giggle, “You too oppa. That business suit doesn’t fit you. I’d rather see you wearing those hip hop clothes whenever you’re with your friends. I’d rather call you GD too than your real name Ji-yong. It just feels weird you know.”

 

“Aish! This brat! Don’t say that out of nowhere! Dad might come popping out of nowhere and might hear us! He doesn’t know that I slack off sometimes too.” He muttered closely to his cackling sister.

 

“Anyway, I’ll go and change then. I’ll make it quick.” Jennie said after calming down. “Thank you oppa for this one… yet again. Honestly, I don’t know how to thank you since you’re always here to help me out.”

 

“Don’t worry about that. Whatever they say, you’re still my little cute sister and it won’t change, okay? This brother of yours will surely protect you no matter what. So, leave everything to me. If you don’t want to be involved in business world then I understand. Don’t pressure yourself too much.” He said and patted his sister’s head before leaving the room.

 

Ji-yong exhaled loud upon closing the door behind him. Indeed, he said that he’ll take care of everything but then he started praying above while he walks down the spiral stairs to meet the guests patiently waiting in the dining room where everything’s already set, the tasty foods, the shining plates and the butlers standing by for both parties.

 

Ji-yong faked his cough and awkwardly fixed his necktie before he marches forward with a nervous beam to meet the guests, “Hi, welcome to our mansion. I’m Kim Ji-yong.”

 

“Wait, where’s Jennie? I thought you went up to her room to get her? Why isn’t she with you? She’s been preparing for almost half a day now!” The father slightly raised his voice, asking the tensed Ji-yong in his stand.

 

“Your father is right. She’s been in her room the entire day. Besides, our guests have been waiting for more than hour. Also, doesn’t she want to meet her fiancé?” The perfectly dressed in blue mother followed up.

 

Ji-yong looked at the man known as Jennie’s supposed to be fiancé and he got irked. He looks arrogant, neat but by the looks of him, he’s definitely not Jennie’s type. His stance is way too decent that he can tell that this man was raised like a robot following orders of his parents.

 

“About Jennie…” Ji-yong speaks out and everyone looks at him for the revelation. He then moved his eyes, pretending and acting to be disappointed as he said, “She’s not in her room. I found a note in her room that she has to finish some papers and went out for a research. I heard the deadline is tomorrow so… yeah.”

 

The father slammed the table and roared, “Are you kidding me? Of all times, why now? Does she even know that I’m running out of time here? I’m flying to Thailand for our business expansion next month! And how important are those papers that she needs to escape out of her engagement meeting?”

 

“Our time was just wasted. I thought I can at least meet Jennie in person.” The other party showed disappointment towards them and now slightly arguing with the mother.

 

“How irresponsible your daughter is!” They said in a roar.

 

“I’m so sorry for the inconvenience.” The father said and even lowered his head to the other party that cannot be stopped from blabbering words of dissatisfaction. “If possible, can we reset this party to another time? I’ll make sure my daughter will—“

 

“Oh no!” Ji-yong suddenly interrupted in a loud tensed tone which made everyone to halt in their arguments.

 

“What do you mean ‘no’? The arrogant man asked and stepped forward to face the smaller and way thinner Ji-yong.

 

Ji-yong started to break out some sweat all over his body. He couldn’t think of anything and his supposed to be brilliant mind and quick decision making is betraying him. Really, ji Young is an excellent man and a very serious man just like his father when it comes to business world but when it comes to Jennie, he acts like any typical brother who would get wordless as he tries to act cool to protect her.

 

“I mean uhh…” Ji-yong constricted lips stuttered.

 

“Oh my!” The mother gasped out of nowhere and Ji Young ogled at her. “Don’t tell me that my Jennie already has… a lover?”

 

As Ji-yong couldn’t think of any better way to shoo this arrogant man who’s dreaming of taking Jennie to the altar, he furiously nodded his head agreeing to what their mother just speculated. “Yes! That’s right! Jennie already has a lover that’s why this engagement is impossible to push through! And besides, Jennie is not into men!” He said in one breathing without a pause.

 

“Eh? What do you mean with he doesn’t like men?” The father asked as his voice has gone deep and shaky in anger.

 

Visibly, the father’s blood is now boiling that his face is evidently turning into red. Ji-yong is aware that he just put himself to a great trouble, both to Jennie and to their parents. There’s no way he can return back his words and there’s no way he can correct it as he stated every single word so clearly that even an insect can understand it.

 

The mother took initiative of breaking this heavy silence as she clapped her hands and said, “Maybe let’s talk about this some other time?”

 

“There won’t be next time!” The arrogant man shouted his lungs out.  

 

There goes the other party walking out in a tantrum, jabbering all curses that come out of their mouths and the arrogant man in disgust threw the diamond ring in the trash that he’s supposed to give to Jennie. For a second, Ji-yong was able to let out a breath in relief now that the guests are gone and that he was able to stop the engagement. Not until he turned around and met those burning eagle eyes of their father, his body shivered, his stance arrested and that his eyes couldn’t stop rolling around to avoid those gazes.

 

“Dad, I uhh… sense that you… need some explanation?” Ji-yong clumsily started, leading their father to a seat.

 

The calm mother still in her stand asked nonetheless, “You mean my Jenjen has a girlfriend? Why didn’t I know about this? Since when? What’s her name? She could have at least introduced herself to us so that we could have avoided this engagement earlier.”

 

“Hey!” The father yelled at his wife. “Why do you sound like you’re in favor of our daughter having… having… aish~ I think I’m going to have hypertension.” He cried abruptly.

 

“S-sorry dad, mom. It’s just that… you know… Jennie is not ready, maybe?” Ji-yong said.

 

“This is unacceptable!” The father wailed. “What will our business partners say if they found out? What will the world say if they’ll find out that my daughter… has a… has a… girlfriend?”

 

“Stop it! Why do you still think of what our business partners will say? If our Jenjen is happy, isn’t that enough? We’re already making her suffer so let’s not add any more to that, okay? Maybe this is our punishment for not telling her about the truth when she was still younger. Look at her now, I can’t help but to blame myself why she turned out like this now.” The mother said and begun crying alongside with her husband on the dining table.

 

“D-don’t worry!” Ji-yong sat across them to stop the tension building up and again chatted without having second thoughts, “I’ll ask Jennie to introduce her lover soon. Just give me some time to convince her. But I promise I’ll let you meet her dad, before you go to Thailand, okay? Just take a look if her lover is worth our Jen.”

 

The father cleared his throat and declared, “That’s a good idea. Br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter