summer

Evergreen

 

[2013.04.26]

 

It had been a few days since then, and I acted that nothing happened. For some reason, Naeun became my deskmate during every lecture but either way, we don't talk. She doesn't talk back either. It's not like I'm going to make friends with her just because she's a celebrity. I'm not like that. It's to the point where I get frustrated whenever everyone asks me after class, the same damn questions over and over again.

How is Naeun? Does Naeun tell you anything? Why don't you talk to Naeun? I'm so envious that Naeun always sits next to you!

Why do I even possess such luck to befall on me, I sighed. Even my friend Bomi, is never going to let me live in peace. She's been begging me every day just so she could meet Naeun in person. I don't get it. I admit that she's pretty but that's all. Just because she's pretty, I wouldn't go all crazy over her. But once again, fate seems to run after me.

Again, it had to be Naeun.

"Alright everyone. Now that we have completed three chapters of our introduction, it's time to do a little assignment." said the lecturer as the class groaned. "With the person beside you, write a 5000-word essay of what you have understood from this course, Mastering The Concept of Performing Arts. Be creative and apply the theories that you have learnt. You are to submit this in two weeks. That's all, there will be no lecture until the submission day. Good luck everyone!" he continued while leaving the hall.

I sighed. Why did this have to happen? It wasn't the assignment that I dreaded but the partner that I have to work with. Why is it always her? Why is she always stepping in my path? I sighed, again, glancing at Naeun who was quietly packing her things.

"Hey." I said, staring her with a blank expression. The girl simply looked at me.

"We need to work together. We have a 5000-word essay to write."

"Mm..."

"Any ideas?"

Naeun shook her head.

I sighed again, placing my head on the table. I should've known better. I've read in articles before that although Naeun was a super famous celebrity, she had a very private, quiet personality. She didn't really speak with anyone since day one. She was like that diligent student who comes to attend classes and disappears after that, without a word.

"Are you allowed to exchange phone numbers?" I asked, thinking that maybe she had her own rules as a celebrity.

She nodded again, without a word.

"Give me your number so that we can discuss on this. It's better if we meet in a quiet place like the library or something."

"But.." Naeun finally opened . "I have schedules after this and tommorow as well. I'm packed the whole week."

I groaned. Of course, a celebrity wouldn't have so much free time to handle college work like that. Does that mean I'll have to do everything by myself?

"Great." I said. "Then, we're screwed. Totally screwed."

"I'm free on Sundays..." she said quietly, Luckily, I was able to hear her.

"I'm working on Sundays."

"How about at night?"

"I finish my shift at 7."

"Then, I'll meet you there."

"Huh?" I asked, confused.

"I know where you work." she said, a smile forming her face. For a moment, I froze. Indeed, I seem to have fallen into the trap that all beautiful women seem to possess and their most powerful weapon, their smiles. It was almost like a bright flower, blooming in front of my eyes. Celebrites are really on a different level.

"A-Ah, I see. So, you recognize me huh?" I stuttered, taken aback by her sudden smile, quickly turning my head away. 

"Mm." she nodded. "Then, I'll see you this Sunday, Eunji unnie." Standing up and taking her stuff along, Naeun disappeared quickly within my sight and she was gone like a wind. I sat there in my seat for a moment, confused as to why my heart was beating so fast. Maybe because she was just too beautiful, maybe because it was just too overwhelming for myself but I must not let my guard down. Slapping my cheeks to bring my senses together, I took a deep breath.

"Calm down Eunji-ya. You must not fall into the trap of such a beautiful woman. She's just going to be your partner so just do your job and be done with it. Yes, that's right. I have nothing to do with her, it's none of business. She's just someone to work with. That's all." I mumbled to myself while getting out of the hall.

But for some reason, I felt nervous.

Nervous about Sunday.

And I just realised.

She never gave me her number.

And, she called me an unnie.

I had forgotten that she was a year younger than me.

Great. That sure made me feel better.

 

 


 

 

Glancing nervously at the window while cleaning the mugs with a cloth, I looked at the time once again for the fifth time. It was 6pm. The sun had gone down on this Sunday evening and I hope that Naeun remembered about our meeting. All alone in this cafe with just pictures of her everyone, made me even more nervous. Gosh, this is crazy.

I took a deep breath and looked around the empty cafe. It was then, the bell at the entrance rang. Automatically like instinct, I bowed and greeted "Welcome!" only to realise that it was not a customer, but Naeun staring at me with a soft giggle.

"W-What are you laughing at?" I mumbled, immediately returning to my position as I took my bags out, scattered it on the table and took out my notes.

"Nothing." she said before maintaining a straight face. "So, where do we start?" she asked, sitting down.

"Well, do you have any ideas?"

"Do you?"

"That doesn't help at all you know..." I sighed as I scrambled through my notes, wanting to finish the physical work first. "Let's just brainstorm whatever comes out first and then compile it before forming into a paragraph." I said, taking my pen out.

And thus, with my lead, Naeun followed along as we discussed for about two hours straight, simply on the topic of our assignment. That was the first time ever, I've seen her speak. Or rather, she spoke more than a sentence which is quite impressive actually. Surprising, we managed to complete the essay within that time frame. Perhaps, she isn't just a celebrity but she is quite smart too. I should really stop misjudging others just based on their appearence but I really just can't help it.

I sighed, stretched my arms and neck as I looked at our completed 5000-word essay, fully-typed out in a document file from Naeun's laptop (since I'm too poor to afford one).

"It's 9pm. Don't you have like a curfew to go back home or something?" I asked, noticing the time.

"Not really, I have a photoshoot at 2am later."

"2am?!" I was surprised but yet again, I shouldn't because that's how celebrities live. "Aren't you tired?" I asked with worry.

"I'm used to it, so it's fine."

"I see..." 

And the awkward silence returned again. We were talking so well before, because we were discussing about work but now that it's done, there was nothing else for us to talk about. Although I wanted to ask her many things, but I figured she would've heard the same questions over and over again. She's probably sick of hearing those questions so I didn't want to ask her. But yet again, how am I supposed to survive in this dead silence with a beautiful woman right in front of me? It's killing me inside.

"Have you eaten dinner?" I asked, hoping to break the silence.

Naeun shook her head.

"Send your order. I'll make you something." I said, standing up while fixing the apron around my body.

"No, it's okay-"

"Consider it a service. After all, I never expected that we would finish the essay that fast. You're pretty amazing y'know?" I said with a mumble. Although I didn't want to admit it, but I did feel sorry for judging her this whole time. I thought that all celebrities paid to have a degree and didn't work their asses off from true hardwork.

Maybe some celebrities are different, maybe I was wrong and I wanted to repay back what I have done wrong.

"Do you want like a Naeun Omelette Rice or a Goddess Curry Rice?" I asked with a laugh, realising how cringy the menu items were named. After all, I had completely forgotten that we were in a Naeun-themed cafe.

"Which one is the most popular?" she asked with a smile. Again, she caught me off guard. I never thought her weapon would be her smile.

"G-Goddess Curry Rice..." I stuttered, completely taken aback by her smile.

"Then, I'll have that." she said with a giggle.

"W-What are you laughing at?"

"Nothing. You just look funny whenever you're talking to me."

"Because you're too pretty for my eyes that's why." I mumbled, escaping into the kitchen as my heart would've beat so loudly, I was afraid she might hear it in this silence.

For some reason, food seemed to have melted the ice cold silence between us. We were able to have "normal" conversations like normal friends. Indeed, Naeun is a human too. She's also a young college girl who's new to the society even though her world and my world are completely different. She learned more things about me and I learned more things about her.

"Why don't you eat the onions?" I asked.

"I don't like them."

"Well Miss Son, did you know that if you finish with a clean plate, you won't get any pimples on your face?"

"Really?" Her eyes were enlightened upon my words which I found it quite amusing. Because it's all a fairy tale lie.

"Of course. The plate is round, so is your face. What you eat, reflects what appears on your body."

Immediately, the girl took her fork and pinned all three pieces of onion, stuffing it into . Just by one look at her face, I could tell she was experiencing difficulties swallowing the vegatable down but with success, it went through.

"You know..." I said, after checking that her plate is completely clean. "It's just a joke." I laughed.

"Huh?" The girl was perplexed, confused like a lost child. She was so adorable in this moment, you have no idea how much I held back to pinch her cheeks.

"You won't get pimples even if you don't clean your plate!" I laughed again. Since when, was she this adorable?

It was to this day that I never knew, the great Son Naeun was easily fooled AND this clumsy. 

Within just 15 minutes of eating, she accidentally dropped her spoon on the floor, spilled water on the table and some of her rice fell over to my plate. I have no idea how that happened but I found it rather adorable. To think that a girl like her, would have such a clumsy image. 

"Why are you so clumsy?" I laughed, before handing a napkin to her.

"Sorry...I've always been like that since I was young..." giggled Naeun softly, laughing at her herself.

"Do your fans know that you're this terribly clumsy?" I laughed.

"No, but I think you're the first to know that besides the staff members."

"I guess I should be honoured." I smiled.

Perhaps, we could be friends.

A friendly unnie-dongsaeng relationship with Naeun seemed like a good idea.

After all, she did look lonely in university despite having people surround her everyday. She never really had proper friends and I guess, I should be her first.

Not because she's a celebrity, but because she's just like everyone else.

As we bid our goodbyes, agreeing to meet again in classroom, I realised something.

I forgot to ask for her number again.

Great job, Jung Eunji.

But it's okay, I can ask her again.

Because I'll see her again like usual, having these fun conversations and fooling around with her,

Right?

 

 


 

 

Two weeks had passed since then. After all, there were no classes until the submission day meaning I wouldn't see Naeun until today. Yet for some reason, I didn't see her around campus. The only place I could see her was online, through news articles, videos and whatnot.

"Oh......Jung Eunji...." sneered Bomi as she peeked from behind.

"W-What?" I asked with a mumble, taking out my earphones, looking at her as if nothing happened.

"You're getting interested in Son Naeun aren't you? I knew you were going to fall for it. As expected of my loyal friend~" 

"S-Shut up. I'm trying to watch a video and you're disturbing me" I stuttered, not wanting to admit the truth. But yes, in fact, ever since that day, I wanted to see her again. I wanted to talk to her again, just like those times.

Just the two of us, in that cafe.

"And the video you're watching is a fancam of Naeun at an event." 

"S-So what?!" I asked, pushing Bomi away as she was getting too near to the point I could feel her breath under my neck.

"Why can't you just admit it and say that you've become a fan of Son Naeun Eunji-ya?! Why do you up on your pride so much?" Bomi said with a laugh, hitting my shoulder before wrapping her arms around it. "Shall I show you my personal collection of Naeun's videos that I saved in my phone?"

I gulped while Bomi sneered upon my expression, sneakily taking out her phone and scrolling through all of the videos she had, right in front of my face. 

"Aren't you just a stalker fan? Why are you so obsessed with her?" I asked, scrunching my eyebrows thinking that I should probably never let Bomi meet Naeun otherwise she'll go crazy.

"I mean, she isn't just like ridiculously super pretty but heck, she's just pretty!"

"And clumsy" I said, wanting to continue Bomi's sentence.

"Wait, what?"

"She's very clumsy y'know?"

"And how did you know that?"

"Because she's my partner for my assignment and we meetup last Sunday, ate dinner together and-"

"AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN INVITE ME ALONG EUNJI YOU-"

"No way! Heck knows what you'll do to her." I rolled my eyes away before laughing, watching my friend suffer in agony and jealousy.

Maybe it's a good thing to be friends with Naeun because I can tease Bomi all I want.

With a smile automatically forming on my face, thinking about tommorow, I felt nervous yet excited.

Hoping to see her again, at the same place, right by my side.

My deskmate and my partner,

I can't wait to see you again, Son Naeun.

 

 


 

 

With a nervous heart, I walked up the stairs to the lecture hall, thinking about her again. Sometimes I wonder, what is wrong with me? Or does everyone feel that way, whenever they think about her? Surely, it's obvious that I have already admitted defeat. I acknowledged myself, and accepted the reality of Son Naeun. I told myself not to fall for prejudice ever again, because I had done it wrong.

Sitting in the same seat at the far corner of the hall and staring at the empty seat beside me, I waited. Waited for time to tick by, for everyone to fill and gather the empty spaces in front of me and waited for her to come in.

10 minutes before the class had started, she was still not in sight. It's okay, I'm sure she's late. After all, she's a celebrity. It's fine.

5 minutes before the class had started, everyone was here except for Naeun. For some reason, my heart began to feel uneasy.

As the lecturer walked in and announced that the class has commenced, I looked around, wondering if she had changed seats. No. She wasn't even there.

For the whole 2-hours, there was an empty seat beside me and I had to submit the work by myself, while everyone else lined up with their partners, chatting away, here I was, all alone. I felt left out, but it's okay. I'm sure Naeun was so busy that she couldn't come today. I'm sure of it because I believe in her. She wouldn't disappear all of sudden, for nothing.

Classes continued like normal. As next week came forward, I anticipated to see Naeun again. But yet, she didn't come and the seat beside me, was empty again.

Week after week, it was the same results and I sat alone in that very hall,

For four weeks straight.

I felt somewhat bitter. As if I had been betrayed. Yet, I was worried too. But missing classes is normal for celebrities, some don't even attend for a whole semester and somehow graduate because they paid the university to give them a certificate. Cases like that happen but I hoped that wasn't the path that Naeun wanted to walk on. It had only been half a semester and Naeun couldn't have possibly skipped out on everything.

Don't tell me, everything was all a lie?

It was just an act to be all friendly with me because she just needed someone by her side? Am I just here, to be thrown away like trash?

I know I shouldn't let thoughts like these consume me, but I couldn't help it.

Checking on social media occasionally, Naeun was everywhere like usual. Appearences of her in events, photoshoot releases and commercial videos, there was nothing wrong with her. Maybe she's just really busy that she doesn't have time to go to university anymore. 

Yet, why do I feel so down? Why do I feel betrayed?

I sighed, slugging my head onto my desk as I stared blankly at my pile of textbooks.

"Eunji-ya, are you okay?" asked Bomi as she came to my side. As always, she was the first who knew whether I was in a good mood or not. She's always there for me, as expected of my loyal best friend.

"It's nothing much. I'm just a little bothered that Naeun hasn't been attending classes for four weeks now."

"I seeee~~~" grinned Bomi as she looked at me with suspicious eyes.

"W-Why are you looking at me like that?" I mumbled with a frown.

"Eunji-ya." said Bomi as her face suddenly turned serious all of a sudden, her eyes looking directly into my eyes.

"W-What?"

"You have to answer this honestly alright?"

"O-Okay...."

"Are you in love?"

"W-What nonsense are you talking about?!!" I shouted, completely in utter objection as I pushed her face away. Yet, my heart was beating so fast. Why am I behaving like this?!

"Oh come on Eunji-ya, don't lie! I know when I can spot a damn lesbian in my territory!"

I sighed. Right. I forgot.

I forgot that my best friend was a lesbian and that she was also dating another girl in the same university. I didn't really meet her girlfriend, all I know is that she's a senior and goes by the name of Chorong.

"And you're just speaking nonsense. Go to sleep, it's getting late." I said, going over to my bed, covering my ears with the pillows as I shut my eyes, refusing to hear and see anything in this world. I just want to sleep and escape myself.

I shouldn't let a girl like that to interfere with my life.

I shouldn't. 

Maybe I should just forget about her.

She's on a completely different level. There's no way I could be "normal" friends with her.

But yet again, if it wasn't for her, my life would've continued to stay so boring and dull.

Just like an evergreen, Naeun had really brought a kind of meaning in my life. She gave me something to look forward everyday.

 

 


 

 

Weeks went by like that, it was as if it was normal for Naeun to never attend classes now. I had already gotten used to the empty seat beside me and I guess, I learned to continue the now, boring life I had before. Everyday was the same dull thing, trying to absorb everything in lectures, rushing for deadlines of piling assignments and spending nights at the library to cram over things. It was almost as if Naeun was just a dream that just vanished completely into thin air.

It was not until, that day arrived.

That summer of 2013.

Walking out of the univerisity block and heading back to the dorm, I spotted a huge crowd at the gate as they started whispering and gossiping over something. The usual me, wouldn't let this go to waste. Sneakily passing by, I pulled my ears closer to eavesdrop their conversation.

"Are you serious?! What the heck?! The company must be crazy!"

"I really hope she's okay"

"It's a pity how someone her age is working so hard to the point that she had to end up like that"

"Maybe celebrity life is that horrible."

"I can't believe Son Naeun collapsed at an event last week and now, she's hospitalized."

Upon hearing the news, my heart fell.

It was as if, the whole world had crashed.

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Celebrity life certainly isn't a joke. How will Eunji react to this? Do share your thoughts about this and as I will update soon~ Thank you for reading and subscribing!