Step 2: Introduce Character Dynamics

How to Write a Cliche

Suhyun slammed her locker door in frustration.

“How did I miss this?!” She slammed her forehead against the door with a grunt. “It was just one freaking value!”

“Well, it was a pop quiz.” Wonho smirked as Suhyun jumped. “You were probably panicking.”

“W-well-!”

“It was adorable.”

The girl’s heart accelerated. Her eyes widened. Her hands tightened into fists.

“Sh-shut it.” Suhyun looked away. “I told you to stop.”

“True, but this is too cute.”

“Hey-!” Suhyun raised a fist, but pulled it back quickly. “It’s my worst grade…”

“Well, be glad it doesn’t count towards your final marks.” The boy leaned in with a chuckle, his eyes boring holes through Suhyun’s blush. “Good thing the only thing between now and exams that actually counts is just this project.”

“True.” The girls tension left with a sigh. “W-We’re still on for this weekend, right?”

“Actually, I was thinking if you were free today, after school.”

Suhyun’s legs gave out and she fell against the lockers. Wonho wasn’t fazed, but his eyes were drawn to the growing red around her face. He crouched and offered a hand, his gaze worrying for her.

“Y-you ok?!” Wonho quickly placed his hand over her head. “You have a fever! Are you sick?!”

“N-n-no!” Suhyun quickly crawled her lockers to stand, hiding her face away as she covered herself with her hair. “I’m fine, i-i-it’s just warm here!”

“But the air conditioning- “

“I’m free this after school!” Suhyun blurted as Wonho stood. “Let’s work on it! The quicker we get to it, the faster we finish, am I right?”

The girl’s crooked grin made Wonho stare at her weirdly before he laughed anyways.

“Whatever you say, star student.” The boy gave her a simple nod before walking away. “See you later at the gates.”

Suhyun couldn’t respond.

“…Dear.”

Her whole body shook with a whirlwind of emotions. Her knees gave way, forcing her to crouch as she tried to still herself. She gritted her teeth to keep herself still, but the thoughts of Wonho crowded her mind. That last word has to be proof. He likes her, he definitely does. No friend just calls their other friends, “dear”, out of nowhere! Unless it was like out of sarcasm or two friends are close enough to call each other, “dear”, but that’s another story! This is her crush calling her, “dear”! Like… Like…

~~~something not cliche lol

“Just continue!”

“Noona, shut up.”

“You’re older than me!”

“Both of you! Shut up, and let me finish!”

~tilde~

“Let’s walk there.”

“O-Ok.” Suhyun gulped. “O-Oppa…”

Wonho froze for a moment before grinning.

“Took you long enough!” He began walking with Suhyun blushing behind. “And here, I thought we weren’t going to get closer.”

“Wh-what does that mean?!” Suhyun ran up to him with a fist raised, but quickly lowered it as he looked back. “Why, I oughtta-!

“You should show this side more often.”

Suhyun tripped over her own legs. She screwed her eyes shut, expecting the pain of the rough concrete. Instead, she fell into a wall of warmth. Suhyun opened her eyes to find darkness, but a warm darkness. It smelled nice too, sharp like some cologne but with a bit more weight to it. It dripped into her head, making her head ache but in a good way. Her mind was blanketed as her eyes slowly closed-

The girl shoved herself away from Wonho’s embrace.

“Um, you ok?” The boy froze, unsure of what to do with himself. “Good thing I was a bit ahead of you, or else- “

He stopped himself as Suhyun gave him a gentle hug. She didn’t let him see her expression, making Wonho confused at the gesture. He returned the hug anyways. It wasn’t like he had any other option. He smiled when he basked in her comforting warmth. They were able to feel each other’s heartbeats. Suhyun looked up to find the boy looking around the empty neighborhood sidewalk before looking down into her eyes.

“So, I take it you got my hints?” Wonho chuckled before leaning into Suhyun. “I’m sure you wouldn’t- “

~~~I swear this is the most fun I'm having with this fic

“CUT!”

Hayi made an X with her arms before pushing herself back to a kneeling position. Her face was not amused, sharing the same displeasure with Bobby who was sitting at the side of the bed. The male uni student merely shook his head slowly, his eyes glued to the bashful Suhyun. It was obvious that the older friends disapproved with her story-telling

“It’s okay if he wasn’t all that spectacular, Suhyun.” Hayi threw a pillow at the younger girl, who blocked it quickly. “But please, don’t change the story just so you could give me unnecessary heart pains!”

“Who are you really trying to impress?” Bobby huffed. “There isn’t really a point to lying.”

“Dammit.” Suhyun slouched, instantly grumpy. “I thought I could prank you guys by the end of the story.”

“Enough suspense!” Hayi threw another pillow at Suhyun. “Just give us the actual ending!”

“I will, you old hag!” Suhyun threw back both pillows at the laughing unnie. “Now what really happened, was that the walk was uneventful. We just talked about school and the pop quiz, and before we knew it one topic led to another and we arrived to the new café…”

~~~I can see why people like doing this stuff

“…And then we can finish it off like that.”

Suhyun and Wonho sat across from each other with various pieces of paper strewn on the table between them. Two empty cups sat abandoned as Wonho leaned over to show Suhyun his idea for the class presentation in his notebook. Suhyun had been listening the entire time, giving some of her own input on his idea based on one that she had already made prior to their meeting. Within the span of two hours they had finally made a plan for their project. All they needed to do now was to work on it for the next few weeks.

“All good.” Suhyun gave a cute little smile with her thumbs up. “And since we have a ton of time, this should be a piece of cake.”

“Great!” Wonho sighed in relief as he threw the notebook onto the table. “As expected of the star student.”

“N-not that again.” Suhyun her hair over her hot cheeks. “I think I lost that title in that quiz…”

“Forget about it.” Wonho leaned in with an arm on the table as it propped his chin. “It’s not part of the final grade.”

“B-but everyone else-!”

“Hey!” Wonho zipped his hand over Suhyun’s head. “Move on, it doesn’t matter now. Forget about everyone else, okay?”

Suhyun was sure her face was incredibly red, but she didn’t want to twist away from his hand. Her eyes were locked onto

“You’re smart, and you should know it.” Wonho took his hand from Suhyun’s head (she gave a little squeak) and pointed sternly at her. “Own it.”

“Y-Yes sir!” Suhyun instantly sat up straight, trying to keep her face blank.

“Good.” Wonho leaned back and gave her a smirk. “Because being smart is actually kinda cute.”

~~~Last one, but omaigat

“GIRL, YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING!”

“I’M TELLING YOU, IT’S THE TRUTH!”

Hayi had hopped out of the bed and stomped way to the young girl, who had finally sat herself down beside her desk only to cower beneath the uni student’s rage. Bobby watched as the older girl gripped Suhyun by the shoulder of her white sweater and proceeded to beat her senseless with it. Though, it might be her fist that’s doing the damage.

“IS THIS A FIGHT I HEAR?!”

“No, daddy.”

Chanhyuk stormed into his sister’s room once more and found Hayi and Suhyun crowded over the younger’s phone. They both had plastic grins on their faces as their eyes stuck to the older brother. He looked to Bobby, who was looking away from his spot on the side of the bed. The brother pushed his glasses up on his nose and narrowed his eyes before pulling the door to a close.

“I better not hear any violence…”

The door closed with a small click. Everyone waited a few seconds before Hayi gave a resounding thud to Suhyun’s shoulder. Bobby gave a huff of laughter at the sight.

“Ow!” The high school student finally stood. “I’ll have you know, he actually indirectly called me cute before promptly escorting me home!”

“And we loved every bit of that last part!” Hayi picked up one of Suhyun’s erasers and threw it at Bobby. “Right?!”

The eraser bounced harmlessly off of his head. The oldest boy only glared at the two girls, his eyes narrowing like his friend’s. He tilted his head sharply, causing some pops in his neck. He placed a fist in his hand and pushed, causing more pops. The girls watched in confusion as he did the same with the other hand.

“Did he kiss you on the way?”

Hayi snapped to the Suhyun’s blush.

“Well…”

“Oh my God, he did, didn’t he?!”

“UNNIE, GET OFF ME!” Suhyun shoved the older girl away. “So what if he did?! It was just on the chee-!”

She covered but the damage was already done. Hayi was silent, her expression deadly serious. Suhyun looked to Bobby for hints, but his eyes were widened for the first time. His face said, “Shock”, but his eyes screamed, “Fear”. He slowly backed away from Hayi as Suhyun looked back up to her older friend. The girl was frozen, her eyes glued to the younger girl as she exuded a menacing aura that shook Suhyun to her soul.

“Uh…” Suhyun turned away from the uni student. “Time to work on my-!”

“Not so fast,” Hayi whispered as she placed a hand on the girl’s shaky shoulder. “Tell me where this boy lives.”

“Wh-why?” Suhyun’s voice was low, for fear of awakening the beast. “I’m sure- “

“Because he didn’t do you justice,” Hayi said. “And giVE YOU A FREAKING KISS ON THE LIPS!”

“WHAT?!”

“WHAT?!”

Even Bobby stood as Hayi began shaking the poor girl’s shoulders.

“I swear to God, if I ever find that boy I’m going to smack him silly until he finally gets it in his head that you’re supposed to give a full kiss on the lips and my Suhyun, my poor little angel, deserves that so much from such a perfect man and that he should never let her go and-!

“Hayi, Hayi, calm down!”

“GET OFF ME, OPPA!” The young woman shrugged off Bobby violently and caused him to fall down. “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH MY RANT!”

Suhyun was lost from all the shaking, her heart beating rapidly as her mind bounced all around her skull. A gentle squeak escaped as she watched Hayi quickly get on top of the fallen Bobby to continuously beat him while continuing her rant about how her “little sister deserves to be treated like a princess, and Wonho better know that.” The young girl could only shake her head and roll her eyes at the girl’s antics, before hearing a vibration on her bedside table. Suhyun hopped over her bed, avoiding the violent mess on her bedroom floor to check the caller with a simple push of the side button.

She gasped at the, "Wonho”, printed on her screen as she was left with a heart-pounding choice to make.