Step 3: Build Intrigue with Mystery...

How to Write a Cliche

“SHUT UP! THE BOTH OF YOU!”

Bobby and Hayi froze just as Suhyun tapped the green button on the surface of her phone.

“...Hello?”

“Hey.”

“Wonho!” Suhyun clenched a fist at the sudden high-pitch before coughing. “I mean Wonho!”

“Yeah, it’s me.” The young girl eyed her older friends as they leaned in to listen. “Uh, just asking if you found anything... Out of the ordinary in your stuff.”

“Out of the or-?” Suhyun quickly turned as she pulled out her bag from underneath her desk. “Uh, let me check.”

“Take your time.”

She placed her phone on the table before rummaging through her backpack. She looked through her books and a pencil case before she found a curious little notebook. She grabbed onto the sort of waxy matte cover as she pulled out the black book. There were small scratches on the cover and the book is slightly bulging from extra pieces of folded paper from within the back. A stretch loop stuck to the back cover was pulling on the front to keep the mess closed and together. There was a pen stuck to the fabric loop by the cap.

“Uh, is it a notebook?” Suhyun asked loudly into the phone before quickly pressing on the speakerphone. “I’m guessing it’s-”

“...Don’t open it!”

The sudden blast of volume caused the young girl to yelp and jump back.

“Wait, wait hold up!” Suhyun scrambled up back to her table, kneeling on the floor as she leaned onto the table. “What is this?”

“I-It’s nothing.” The shaky voice didn’t convince Suhyun. “I mean, it’s nothing important. To you. To me it’s very important. Just don’t open it and give it back when we meet, alright?”

“Yeah, sure.” The girl dropped the book beside her table. “I must’ve grabbed it when we cleaned up.”

“I guess we shouldn’t have rushed,” Wonho said with a laugh. “But I guess it didn’t help that I kept staring at you.”

Heat rose over Suhyun’s face.

“Shut it!” She could hear the snickering from behind her. “N-no need for-!”

“Tomorrow at school then?”

“Don’t cut me off!” But she quickly cooled herself down with a sigh. “But yeah. Tomorrow at school.”

“Alright. See ya~!”

The line died after a few seconds.

Suhyun sighed before resting her head on the table. She closed her eyes for one second, but then she opened them to a black blur. Her body reacted, grabbing it as she snapped to Bobby’s neutral face. He eyed her back, both of their faces expressionless.

They were gripping the book hard.

“Let.” Suhyun’s voice was low. “Go.”

“No.”

The sudden force jerked Suhyun with the book.

“Let go!”

“Not until I have perused its contents.”

“No one uses peruse anymore!”

“No one keeps other people’s diaries.”

“It was an accident!”

“There are no accidents!”

“Both of you shut up and sit down!”

Bobby and Suhyun froze at the open door. The pair of glasses reflected the warm light from the youngest girl’s lamp. Its glow was sinister though, leering into their souls as his the sudden silence filled the room. It was deafening. Tense. No one moved until the older brother slithered in. The fighting duo quickly sat, their hands never leaving the notebook. They shivered at the sudden snap of Chanhyuk’s gaze.

“Give it here.”

Suhyun gulped.

“Give-”

“N-no!”

Everyone snapped to the red-faced Bobby.

“Give or I will stick my foot into your face.”

“If you could reach this fabulous visage!”

With a quick pull, the tall boy was able to hide the notebook behind his back as he stood to his full height. He towered over the brother, but Chanhyuk didn’t back down. In fact, the older boy used his age to empower his presence, emphasizing his aura of authority as the gap between their faces shrank. The girls leaned in to each other, their eyes glued to this silent standoff with hands over their gaping mouths. The boys gave each other death stares, before Bobby bowed down, his face to the floor.

“I’m sorry, hyung,” he said sweetly. “I shouldn’t have snapped back like that.”

Bobby’s heart sank as his image of his mom, angry from a family friend’s call, weighed it down.

“That’s right,” Chanhyuk smirked. “Now give me the book.”

“Sure, here.”

Bobby showed his empty hands to the older boy, before realizing that the book was gone. He saw the emptiness before feeling it and snapped instantly to Suhyun, who instantly spun around from her position near her desk. She gave a sheepish smile and crossed her arms as she leaned back against her chair.

“Heeeeey, boys.” Her voice began in an uncomfortably high pitch. “Don’t mind me, just packing for tomorrow.”

She quickly glanced at the clock before coughing.

“Gee, look at the time.” Suhyun quickly grabbed Hayi and Bobby and dragged them. “Shouldn’t we all be back home?!”

“It’s only 7-”

“Hayi, I think that’s our cue-”

“Suhyun, stop-!”

The three older young adults couldn’t whisper fast enough before they were shoved out of the room door with Chanhyuk. The door slammed behind them, and Chanhyuk merely sighed before standing up. Bobby and Hayi stood too as they watched the older brother walk off to his room.

“I swear, I’m gonna get to the bottom of this boy,” he muttered to himself. “And I’m gonna give him a piece of my mind…”

“Should we be worried?” Bobby asked.
    “About what?”

“I’m not sure.” The door quickly opened for two bags to be thrown from its small opening being slammed shut. “I can’t tell if I’m scared for this Wonho dude, Chanhyuk-hyung, or Suhyun.”

“Relax,” Hayi grinned as she grabbed her bag before heading downstairs. “It’s just young love between two hot-blooded youths. One of them just happened to be our friends.”

“If you say so.” Following her, Bobby slouched and resumed his nonchalant form as threw his bag over his shoulder. “Aren't you a little too old to be talking about high school students like this?”

“Hush, child!”