END

APART

Recess time is over. Each of the students find their ways to their classes.

   "Has the Sun risen on the west? You're early, Mingyu!" says Jungkook, one of his classmates as the speaker sees him entering the class right on the time.

   Mingyu shrugs, having no intention to play along his friend. He steps toward his table which is placed at the corner of his class. Jungkook who is sitting beside him stretches out his body over his table. He looks through his indifferent friend's eyes to find the answer for Mingyu's sudden abnormal behavior. 

   "What?" the tan boy jerks backwards. "It seems like raining is coming. You don't expect me to stay in wet up there, do you?" he reasons.

   Jungkook smirks, obviously shows that he could not believe Mingyu's words - or to be exact, he chooses not to. 

   The Mingyu he knows is always late for every classes that come after recess, despite even knowing the presence of famous artists to their school for this one time. The Mingyu he knows always spends his times at their school's rooftop for who-knows-why. The Mingyu he knows always prefers to be alone almost all the time except when he plays soccer. The Mingyu he knows is such a loner.

   He wants to argue but the teacher in charge has already entered the class so he decides to yield.


"Mingyu..." he hears a voice calling upon him. He brings his right hand to his right ear and covers it with his big palm. This is the last period before the school ends. He wishes to complete the class without any disturbance.

   Thanks to the power of ignorance to the teacher's lesson, the class ends successfully. Mingyu, however, is not happy at all. He is on his way to his soccer club activities which is his favorite part of going school since he loves soccer, but yet he feels irritated.

Because 'something' keeps staying behind him...

   "Seungcheol hyung! Stop following me!" he whines as he stomps his feet and makes a complete about-face.

   "Why?" the older asks innocently, completely oblivious of Mingyu's feelings and emotions.

   Mingyu bits his lower lips, fist formed. "Forget about it," he glares straight at the other before heading to the field for his club's activities. Seungcheol swears he sees a crystal of water on his eyes. He feels guilty for that as he knows he is the reason of it. He brings his right hand to his chest, clutching it hard.

   Meanwhile at the field, Mingyu continues to walk on the grass without paying an attention to where he will stop at until another familiar voice calls out his name. His left knee unconsciously goes up, making his leg a perfect inverted L-shaped, reaching a ball that flies toward him.

   As a high school soccer player he is, he juggles the ball spontaneously while looking for the caller which happens to be his classmate, Jungkook. He smiles at the latter as he stops juggling and grabs the ball.

   Mingyu's eyes abruptly lock on the ball. He suddenly recalls a particular scene - memories that are still vivid since it ever happened. He literally stuns at the same place.

 

"Wow, you're good!" an eight years old Seungcheol said, eyes beaming in amused. Seeing a boy who was two years old younger than him drabbling a ball was such a rare sight for him.
"Thanks," Mingyu rubbed his nape, holding his smile.
"Want to join my team? Where do you live anyway?" and that was how both of them continued to be the best friends in the world- or so the younger thought. 

 

   'Why? You're the one who told me to forget you. Why must you have shown up now? Why not before, earlier than now when I ought to forget everything about you?'

   Mingyu's snaps to the reality when Jungkook calls his attention for their activities. "Sorry, I'm coming!" he says as he runs to his teammates.

 

A week has passed. As usual, Mingyu takes his light steps to the rooftop for the break time, away from any other students.

   Holding and holding again, that is it! He declares in his mind. Mingyu can no longer hold it anymore! It is always like this! The feeling of being followed is not pleasing at all! He wants it to stop right at this moment!

   Mingyu runs furiously to his destination and of course, no one could stop Seungcheol from chasing him over. The older is a fast runner anyway, though Mingyu is much faster than the latter.

   He has no choices left then. Words are the only way that will works, at least he wishes for it to work...
   The tan boy turns around to face the one whom he hopes to never meet again. The one whom he has been longing for, yet does not want to look at anymore. 

   Again, Mingyu's eyes are already watery, reflecting the light of the sun, making it shine like a diamond.

   "I told you to stop following me around, didn't I?" he questions, sounds totally wasted.

   "I just want to have a talk with you...like before," the older voices.

   "Why are you doing me like this? I don't have anything to say to you. You're the one who leave me! Why must you appeared now?!! Why-"

   "I miss you, Mingyu. I really miss you..."

   The tears he tries to hold finally fall down through his cheeks. His lips tremble a lot as he attempts to refrain from being too emotional.

   "But you're dead, hyung!! You.." he chokes and now, Seungcheol joins the cry. "You died three years ago, Choi Seungcheol."

   A fact. Both of them know that it is difficult to accept the truth of Seungcheol's death, in fact it weights them harder than anything in this world. They only have each other in their lives and having to lose one is not an option. Seungcheol and Mingyu are both orphans. No one knows how delighted they were when they first met. They have similar characteristics and viewpoint. That was why they match each other well. And that was also why they could not let one another go.

Until Mingyu decides to...

   "You should freed yourself," Mingyu approaches his best friend. He places his palms on the other's cheeks and lifts Seungcheol's head up, matching their eyes. He wipes away the older's tears with his thumbs. "Free yourself, hyung. Just like how I did..." he adds softly.

   Mingyu does not take a notice before this, but Seungcheol looks really pale. His face is whiter than he always was, lips that used to be bright red has turned darker. Looking at his situation like this is so heartbreaking. Mingyu thought that he has cool down, but the tears just would not stop.

   "I'm sorry. I just.." Seungcheol bites his lips, feeling apologetic. "I just want to see you once again."

   Both trying to avert their eyes from each other. Mingyu hands off from Seungcheol and turns his back, not wanting the other to see his pitiful state, though he is sure that Seungcheol has seen enough. The rooftop is filled with their tears and sobs, sadness filling in the silence.

   The tan boy wipes his tears away intensely. He cannot stay like this forever. A change is a must! He inhales and exhales over and over until he finds his breath back to normal.

   "Just...go, hyung. Find your own happiness. Put away everything and be free." he says, still showing his back on the other.

   Seungcheol sighs. "I get it," he responds. He knows that Mingyu is too tired. He causes the exhaustion and of course, he could not stop blaming himself for it.

   "But," he continues. "Let me hug you for the last time."

   There is a pregnant of silence before he steps ahead and back-hugs Mingyu. 

   "This is the real goodbye..."

   Without he realizes himself, Mingyu starts weeping again. His hands find their ways to Seungcheol's and grip them fixed. His heart feels like bursting, though several times already. It still hurts so much. The pain just keeps in there, torturing the young boy. Mingyu closes his eyes tight, holding it by himself.

   "I'm sorry and thank you, Mingyu. I love you..."

   Later that he knows, the hands that he grabbed for feel empty, air replace them. Slowly, his hands make a fist as Seungcheol itself has disappeared. There is nothing to grab at all.

   Mingyu falls on the ground, knees above the cold concrete. He wails as loud as he can, as if he hears someone whispers through his ear; 
'Let it out, Mingyu. Let it all out, so that you can have a happy life by tomorrow...'

 

Sorry for the rush writing. I'm trying to learn and still learning... <(_ _)>  (^_^')>