I Love You...

Not Meant for a Happily Ever After

He couldn’t move. His brain was screaming at him to go and hold her tightly in his arms (after beating Woohyun up, of course), but his body was unwilling to listen. He didn’t know how long he just stood there, idiotically looking on and helplessly wishing he were the one in Woohyun’s spot. The people around him had managed to get him to move from in front of the elevator doors, while an elderly janitor was picking up the strawberries and disposing them into the trashcan. His heart was screaming out to her, but her ears were deaf to his cries. Whatever she and Woohyun were talking about was funny enough for her to throw back her head and laugh out loud.

The janitor, who noticed Dongwoo and his pain, gave his hand a slight squeeze. “Sweetheart, just confront them. You have nothing to lose.”

He stared at her for a moment, as he was just trying to process everything in his head. “I can’t,” he whispered, but the lady just gave him a slight push. Before he knew it, he was standing just a few feet from the two of the few people he used to trust the most.

Woohyun happened to look up as he was cracking a joke. To Dongwoo, it felt like all the time in the world just froze. Nothing seemed visible except for her. His legs were becoming weak, and he wanted to just flee. But something about the look in her eyes told him that she was hurting just as much as he was.

“Dongwoo?” she cried out weakly. It seemed that for a moment she had forgotten she was in a wheelchair when she attempted to stand up and walk towards Dongwoo. She didn’t have enough strength in her legs which caused her to almost stumble over, but Woohyun caught her just in time.

“Are you okay?” Woohyun asked quietly, but she just sat down and tried to wheel herself closer to Dongwoo.

“Dongwoo, I can explain,” she said.

Dongwoo shook his head. He didn’t want to hear it. No, more than that. He wasn’t ready to hear something along the lines of “I’m over you. I love Woohyun now.” (He was so sure that’s what she was going to say anyways.)

“Please, Dongwoo. Just listen to me.”

“I don’t…I don’t want to talk about this right now.” He was barely whispering. His hands were trembling, and he couldn’t think straight. Nothing made sense to him. Not in that moment. He turned around, ready to walk out of her life the way she walked out of his, but Woohyun held him back.

“She said she wants to talk to you.”

Something inside of Dongwoo exploded. He felt all sorts of emotions all at once. “And I said I don’t want to talk about it! I don’t want to stand here bothering you two, okay? I don’t want to the pitiful, foolish ex-boyfriend who is trying to ruin his ex-girlfriend’s new relationship!” He was screaming so loudly that a little kid sitting not too far away was covering his ears, complaining to his mom that the screaming was hurting his head.

“That's a misunderstanding!" she exclaimed.

Dongwoo pushed Woohyun away and walked towards the front entrance, but Woohyun grabbed his arm again. “Can we go talk somewhere else, Dongwoo? Somewhere more private?”

“There’s nothing to say. Let me go.” Dongwoo refused to face Woohyun. Or his ex-girlfriend.

"At least give her a chance to explain. Stop jumping to conclusions when you don't even know the full story."

"I didn't think you would be like this, Woohyun. After all we've been through." Dongwoo was losing the strength to speak much louder than a soft whisper.

"It's not what you think. Just hear us out."

After much hesitation, Dongwoo finally agreed to listen to them.

Woohyun and Dongwoo sat on a bench outside as she sat in her wheelchair in front of Dongwoo.

"I want to apologize. For everything I've put you through. It wasn't easy for me too, you know," she started explaining. Her hands were getting sweaty and she wasn't really sure where to look. She didn't have the courage to look into Dongwoo's eyes.

He stayed silent.

"First of all, Woohyun and I aren't in any kind of relationship. I asked him to help me out." From the way she was speaking slowly, Dongwoo could tell she was being very careful with her words.

"A few months ago, I went to the hospital because my head was hurting. I got some tests done, and some days later my doctor called saying he had some news to tell me. I was going to ask you to come with me, but it didn't seem like it would be good news. He told me that I had a rare disease." She paused there.

"What kind of disease?" Dongwoo barely got the words out of his mouth. This was all too much for him.

"It's killing me, Dongwoo." She was on the verge of tears. All she wanted in that moment was for Dongwoo to reach over and hold her tightly. She was so tired, physically and mentally.

Dongwoo couldn't believe what he had just heard. "You're...dying? That doesn't even- You were just-No. No! I don't believe you!"

"I'm sorry, Dongwoo. I'm so sorry." Her voice cracked and she had tears running down her face, but all she was worried about was Dongwoo's wellbeing. All she needed was for him to be happy. She had wanted him to forget about her and move on, and that's why she left without a word. But seeing him like this was crushing her heart.

Dongwoo somehow managed to embrace her, wheelchair and all. Woohyun decided that that was a good time to leave now that he knew he was no longer needed by her side.

"I love you," Dongwoo whispered. "Is it too late to say that?"

She smiled and shook her head. "No, you dummy. I've known it all along."

-------------------//---------------------

Aaaand it's up! Double update...? I guess it doesn't count since the other one should've been here since a long time ago. This one's a little shorter... It's okay, right? :D