The Beginning

Not Meant for a Happily Ever After

Their story was never meant to end happily ever after. She was loud and outgoing while he was quiet and reserved. She liked to be out and wild "enjoying my youth while I can," she would say. He enjoyed staying at home reading a book or watching documentaries. She liked clear weather because those were days when all the fun happened. He even looked forward to the rainy days because he absolutely loved the pit-pat sound of the raindrops against his window. They were as different as night and day, but like the saying, opposites attract.

"Could you back off?"

And that's how it all started.

He was known as the most polite and upright person, but in that moment he was crossing lines he never imagined himself crossing. For some odd reason, his hand had landed on her chest. It took him awhile to process, but when it finally hit him that he was touching something he shouldn't be he didn't know how to react. She had to manually remove his hand, but she seemed unfazed. Dongwoo, on the other hand, was as bright as a tomato and could not meet her eyes. He apologized quickly but sincerely and tried to get away from her before he caused more problems.

"I don't want your apologies. Just buy some food or something.I’m starving!" She had held on to the collar of his shirt which restricted him from getting any farther away from her.

Dongwoo disliked going out to eat, even if his best friends, Hoya and Woohyun, promised to pay for the meals. He always argued that he would rather spend his hard earned money on something more worthwhile, like charity. And for this reason, he was unsure about how to respond to this mysterious (but very pretty, he noticed) girl. He wanted to make up for his actions, but he had never even spent money on his friends, nonetheless a girl.

"Is there anything else I could do for you?"

"Why? Am I not good enough to spend a couple dollars on? Just because I don't dress like other girls or wear makeup like other girls, it doesn't mean I don't have feelings." Had she been talking to another person, it would have been obvious that she was just teasing. But Dongwoo was too innocent to catch her playful tone.

"No! That's not what I meant at all! I just- you are- I mean..."

She found him kind of cute. She was so used to the cocky, stuck-up, arrogant guys thatDongwoo's flustered reactions were so alien to her.

"You invaded my privacy. The least you could do is treat me to some lunch. I'm not a picky eater. You can take me out to wherever you want to go." Before he knew it, he was driving to his favorite pasta restaurant (and probably the only restaurant he would spend money at.) She was sitting to his right, bobbing her head to the radio and humming along every now and then.

"Are you usually this quiet? Do I scare you?" she asked. He had not said a word for the past 10 minutes, and she couldn't stand the awkward atmosphere. It was true that Dongwoo was slightly intimidated by her all-black outfit and numerous tattoos around her body, but he was not scared of her. She seemed nice and maybe a little misunderstood. He had seen her around school but very rarely because she could care less about studying. He had heard some people talk about how she and her gang beat people up and have even killed someone before, but he never believed those rumors for his school was so full of false and exagerrated gossip.

"Hello? Are you even listening to me?" This time she nudged his shoulder to make sure he was listening.

"Oh yeah. Sorry. What was the question?"

"I asked if you were always this quiet, but I think my question's been answered already." She turned to face the road and turned the music up. He immediately reached over and turned the volume down.

"Loud music is distracting and I don't want to get in an accident. Especially with someone in the car."

"Oh come on. You seem like a good driver. A little music won't hurt." Dongwoo didn't feel like arguing back, and they were almost at the restaurant anyways. It was terribly awkward. She kept trying to strike up a conversation, but when he kept giving her one-word responses she gave up. She thought he was not interested at all in her, but he was just too shy around girls and had no idea what to say to her.

“Okay we’re here.” He parked at the nearest parking space he could find, got out of the car, and opened the door for her. She was pleasantly surprised. No one had opened the door for her since, oh, never. Her friends all said she had the worst luck with guys because all her previous boyfriends were rude, selfish, and dumb, but she would always try to defend them by saying that they loved her. Deep down, she knew too thatshedeserved better than that.

They were seated at a table near the window, just the way Dongwoo liked it. The day had been cloudy, and halfway through the meal it started raining.

"Wait! It wasn't supposed to rain today. The party..." she said, mostly to herself. Dongwoo looked up from his meal only to find her furiously texting.

"Must be her friends or something," he thought. He continued eating, trying not to think too much about other people's issues. When she finally put her phone down, he tried to get a conversation going, in hopes that her mood would lighten up.

"I'm really sorry about earlier. I don't know how my..." he trailed off. She looked at him amusingly as his cheeks flushed red again. She could only chuckle at his innocent nature. This had not been the first time a boy touched her like that, but none of the other boys had done it on accident or seemed to feel remorse.

"It's cool. It's not like you did it on purpose." She couldn't stop herself from laughing. He stared at her but could not figure out why she was laughing so hard. However, he was soon laughing along with her. They were oblivious to the various stares from other customers, and they were causing such a ruckus that a waiter had to ask them to quiet down.

"Oh gosh. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time," she said, still giggling. They were finished eating and was about to leave the restaurant when they remembered how hard it was raining.

"The car isn't too far from here. I'll go get it. Stay here." He left her with his jacket just in case she got cold. The ride back to her apartment building was just as quiet as the ride before, but this time it was a comfortable silence.