Haircut (Jiyong's POV)

1000 DAYS

My first day of work approached in the blink of an eye. The next thing I knew, I was entering the employee lounge which was where Soojin took my photograph for my employee badge. She had me stand against a plain white wall and told me to smile - not showing my teeth, but enough of a smile to appear friendly and approachable. Once my ID badge was printed, Soojin handed it to me. I looked at my picture and smiled in contempt. Aside from my pink hair, I appeared to be quite dignified. I wore a suit and tie, and my hair was slicked back in some sort of modern fashion. Soojin assured me that this look was that of a gentleman in this time. Not surprisingly, the hair style resembled Choi Seunghyun hyung's hair.

"And this hair style you make me wear... it has nothing to do with the fact that it reminds you of Seunghyun hyung?"

Soojin simply laughed.

"I'm serious, Soojin. Do you really like him that much? Can't you like me for me?"

"Jiyong-ah," she teased with a childish feeling to her voice, face and body language.

"W-what was that?" I stuttered. I could feel my face turn red.

"That, my friend, was aegyo," she informed me. "Now let me show you around the museum."

I nodded slowly, still rosey cheeked. Whatever that aegyo thing was, it served its purpose of distracting me from demanding an answer from Soojin. I was too flustered by that aegyo. As Soojin showed me around, it seemed that she would not let the chance for me to ask the same question come up again. After quite a bit of walking around, Soojin stopped and turned to face me. "This is your area," she told me. "If you don't know about certain artifacts, you can look them up in the library next to the employee lounge. Or else, you can call me over and I'd be happy to help you."

Soojin handed me a device quite similar to her cellular phone. She explained to me its name and purpose. It was a walkie-talkie and I could use it to reach Soojin easily throughout the museum. Taking the walkie-talkie from Soojin's hand, I smiled and thanked her. She then assured me that she would help me get a cell phone another day so we can communicare anywhere, anytime.

"I would love nothing more in the world than to be able to contact you anywhere, and any time to my hearts content," I told her. It was true. I couldn't imagine being apart from Soojin for long.

Time passed by quickly, as each day was wondergul getting to see Soojin each day. Seungri and Daesung weren't too keen on me at first, but as the days went by, they came to accept me as they realized my value to their museum. Occasionally, they would invite me to lunch, although Seungri didn't talk much at all. Daesung, however, was a delight.

“Jiyong hyung,” Seungri called out to me as we ate together. This was the first time he spoke during our lunches without being spoken to first.

 

“Yes, Sunbaenim?” I answered cautiously, looking down at the doshirak given to me by Soojin.

 

“Why is your hair pink?” he asked me, without a single hint of shame. I looked up at his face now only to see his dark eyes glued to my hair.

 

“Perhaps it seems strange,” I began. I thought carefully for a moment before giving him an answer. “Well it seems I have some sort of mutation.”

 

Seungri’s eyes widened. “A mutation? So you’re telling me your hair is naturally pink?” he laughed. He was skeptical. “Come on hyung, don’t lie to me about things like that.”

 

“Sunbaenim, it’s not a lie,” I insisted. “My hair really is pink. Down from the roots.”

 

“Whatever the case may be, pink hair is a bit… out of place here, don’t you think?” Seungri said, as politely as he could make it sound.

 

“You want me to change my hair color?

 

Seungri coughed, awkwardly and looked away. “Well, if you could that would be great.”

 

“Sure,” I told him. “No problem.”

 

“I’ll take you to my favorite stylist after work then, and it’ll be paid for by our organization since it’s an inconvenience to you. I hope you understand. As a boss, I have to keep up a professional atmosphere,” he grimaced. “Plus, if I were to let you get away with pink hair, my other employees would want the same freedom. And what kind of boss would I be if I did not treat all employees with the same respect?”

 

“No need to feel sorry,” I assured him. “I understand completely, Sunbaenim.”

 

Seungri clasped his hands together suddenly. “Great. Let’s go today.”

 

“T-t-today?” I stuttered.

 

“Did you have a plan for tonight?” he asked, smirking. “Perhaps with my sister?”

 

“What?!” I exclaimed.

 

“Come on hyung,” Seungri laughed. “It’s obvious you guys are into each other. And it’s fine. I approve. Just don’t break her heart.”

 

Cheeks burning, I nodded in agreement. A part of me was happy that Seungri approved of me and Soojin being in a relationship but a part of me felt nervous. Just don’t break her heart. I could not help but feel like there was a threat implied in that statement. All I could manage to utter was a barely audible “okay.” I would not break her heart, but I could not promise I would not eat it if I lost all control.

 

Seungri seemed pleased enough. He patted my back and continued to eat, unbothered, as if the conversation never happened at all. I looked over at Daesung who simply smiled politely.

 

Once our lunch break was over, we headed back to work. On the way back to my exhibit, I ran into Soojin. She stood against the wall nearby the entrance, seemingly waiting for me. “Soojin-ah,” I smiled.

 

“Jiyong,” she smiled, pushing herself away from the wall. “I was just wondering if you wanted to go for a walk with me tonight after work.”

 

My heart skipped a beat. Was she asking me out on a date? I was about to accept her invitation, when suddenly I remembered that I had to go to see a hair stylist with Seungri tonight. My heart fell to the bottom of my chest. Sighing, I told her about my obligation to Seungri. I could tell by the way she smiled that she was hiding her frown. “Why don’t you come with us? You can choose my new hair style,” I offered. I could not help it. I did not want to let her down.

 

She thought about it for a moment and then smiled. “Sure.”

 

I watched her as she turned away and headed back to her post. After that, the anxiety built up in me. I very much wanted the rest of the work day to pass by quickly so I could get the haircut over with. Being honest with myself, I knew that I was nervous about getting my haircut. What if my hair does something strange? I am a gumiho after all. Perhaps the scissors will shatter upon touching my hair. Or maybe, my fox ears will come out. Of course I had no issue with Soojin seeing, but what would I tell the others? My chain of thought was broken when a guest at the museum taps my shoulder.

 

"Sir, are you okay? I've been calling you for a while now," she says.

 

"I am very sorry, mam. What can I help you with today?"

 

I began answering her questions regarding the exhibit and, as I did, more guests entered, pushing my thoughts to the back of my mind. Before I knew it, my shift was over and the guests were all gone.

 

"Are you ready for your haircut chosen by yours truly?" I heard Soojin's voice come from behind me. I turned around and smiled.

 

"Of course. Can I see it now?"

 

I reached for her phone but she topped me. "It's a surprise. You'll see it once it's done."

 

"Soojin-ah..." I frowned.

 

"Don't worry, you can trust me. I picked out something good," she assured me.

 

I sighed. "Alright. Let us be off then."

 

I held my arms out, motioning for her to exit before me. "After you."

 

"Such a gentleman," she smiled.

 

We walked side by side to the museum lobby where Daesung and Seungri awaited us. My worries grew as we were in the car heading to the salon, but once we arrived at the door, that was when I began to have doubts.

 

"Soojin...," I began, looking down at her. She must have seen the nervousness in my facial expression. Looking up at me, she smiled, and grabbed my hand tightly. In that moment, I felt my worries dissapear. "I'm ready."

 

After roughly 2 hours, my hair was finished. Before I dared to look, I asked Soojin what she thought. "How is it? Is it bad?"

 

Soojin looked at me thoughtfully before answering. Her cheeks appeared to turn a sight pink color. "It looks great. Sophisticated."

 

I turned away to look in the mirror. I did look handsome - almost as handsome as my friend, T.O.P. I admired myself in the mirror as Daesung and Seungri clapped. Suddenly, I noticed my hair color changing. It changed from black, to dark grey, to pinkish grey, finally settling on my original pink hair. I could see everyone's eyes widen behind me through the mirror. The hair stylst gasped. "All my hard work..," she frowned.

 

"Well - that's interesing," Seungri said.

 

"What the hell just happened?!" Daesung exclaimed.

 

I turned back to look at Soojin, who remained quiet. Only she and I knew the reason for this. I had to keep cool. "I guess it's my condition..," I scratched my head awkwardly.

 

"C-c-c-condition?" Daesung stuttered. "The one you were talking to Seungri about earlier? You weren't joking?"

 

"Yeah... see, I developed this condition recently where my hair turned pink. Doctors can't figure out why. I guess it can't hold hair dye either. I'll have to bring it up..."

 

"Well, it seems so." Seungri sighed. "Well I guess you can keep your pink hair at work. Just make sure to keep it properly groomed."

 

"Is that all you can say?" the stylist asked. "You're not prompted to ask more questions?"

 

Seungri seemed confused. "Such as..?"

 

"Well, for starters... does the curtain match the drapes?" she blushed. I looked over at Soojin whose face turned bright red. I felt my face get hot as well.

 

"Well, she does have a point..." Daesung said, his face clearly showing discomfort.

 

"Jiyong...?" Seungri looked at me.

 

"I... I don't want to talk about this..." I said, unable to look anyone in the eye.

 

"I think it's black," came Soojin's voice. Everyone looked at her, questioning her words. "Guys!! Don't look at me like that... it's not what you think!!! I just mean, his arm hair is black... I think it's only the hair on his head that's pink."

 

The stylist grabbed my arm and pulled up my sleeve. "Hey!! What are you doing?!" I exclaimed.

 

"She's right," she said. "Everything checks out, strangly enough. What a peculiar condition..."

"Yeah..." I blushed. "Can we go home now?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daesung was a delight. Get it? D-LITE... haha :)

My goodness, guys. I'm so sorry. It seems I've been in a writer's block situation after saying how I wanted to write a chapter every week. So much going on in life and I just can't keep up sometimes. I've been working on this same chapter for over a month.... And well, I guess I will be focusing on my job for a while (I'm relatively new and it's full time), but I definitely will write any time I get the chance (and don't have writer's block). I'll be continuing and FINISHING the story, if it's the last thing I do, I swear. (TT___TT) Keeping that in mind, I won't write as often as I'd like, and can't even give estimates because I don't wanna break promises. But I promise I will keep writing. And I hope my story is enjoyable. I think the writer's block has affected my style of writing, which I apologize for as well. I'm trying my best to keep the writing and personalities in the same style...

I'm so sorry!! *bows 1,000 times*

ALSO! I started a new fiction to write when I'm stuck with writing this one. It's a DAY6 fan fic. And it's called "I WAIT" :)