Smitten

Sweet Indulgence

Vernon adjusts the sling of his backpack, hanging on his shoulder. The afternoon blows through him, gentle and comforting, like a greeting from a friend. It was a route he’d become accustomed to taking after he finishes his duties in school. The sun was still up but slowly disappearing from the sky, taking its time to shine on people who’ve just finished their day, like nature’s way of saying good work for today. His shoes click nicely on the pebbled pavement, steps carefully calculated so he doesn’t trip, something he often does when he doesn’t look at where he’s going. He pushes his square framed eye glasses back to its place at the bridge of his nose. He glances at his watch and looks up at the sky, a smile forming on his lips as the mix of rose quartz and serenity colors grace the heavens. He stops in his tracks and snaps a picture with his phone, a perfect silhouette of trees and buildings lined below the beauty of the sunset.

His nose picks up a sweet scent. He looks around, nose tracking the smell like a dog. He comes upon a newly opened bakery nestled between a flower shop and bookstore. He moves closer, inspecting their selection from the window. Different kinds of bread are lined up, fresh from the oven with steam fogging up the window, most are plain and in different sizes, others are glazed with sugar and honey. He swallows, feeling saliva pool in his mouth. The sweet smell with the steaming bread before his eyes were a tantalizing mixture. He steps into the bakery, a happy bell tingles at the top of the glass door, the aroma of fresh bread teasing his nose even more. He waits in line, tapping his feet in anticipation. His eyes wander, looking at the intricate designs on the wall, brown painted walls, curled up swirls of wood on corners, giving a homey vibe.

“What would you like, Sir?” A friendly welcoming voice asks him.

Vernon brings his attention to the person manning the counter and gives a quick smile. “One of everything on the display.” He takes out his wallet.

The person beams. “Would you like the freshest batch?”

“Yes please.” Vernon nods, giving him his card.

“Thank you, Sir. Your order should be with you in a minute. Please wait on this side.” He gestures toward the waiting area where all the other customers are seated.

Vernon stands beside the glass window and peers in, curious how the baking process happens. His jaw slacks, his eyes focused and pupils dilated. It was as though an angel appeared before his eyes, light shining perfectly on the figure, blonde hair parted in the middle. His white uniform fits him snuggly, cuffs folded on his elbows. The white apron tied around his waist hugs his figure perfectly, a slight belly showing in the middle of the crease. His arm is slender and white, hands dainty, and fingers feminine. He kneads the dough with grace, his facial expression focused and full of passion, as if he’s pouring life into his creation. His chin is sharp and perfectly goes with his high cheekbones. He the side of his mouth, sprinkling flour on the table. His cheeks puff and his lips purse, perhaps tired from kneading. He pulls out a small knife and swishes it between his fingers.

Vernon’s heart almost leaps out of his chest, scared for the angel’s fingers. He places a hand on the glass out of concern.

His eyebrows flutter and he looks up, his dark brown eyes on Vernon.

Vernon slowly pulls his hand back and grins, shy and a bit embarrassed.

The baker’s mouth curls into a smile, teeth white, expression amused, and eyes sparkling.

Vernon feels redness creep from his neck up to his ears and he looks at the counter, sincerely hoping the bread he ordered was ready.

“Seungkwan-ah…” The man on the counter calls out. “Do you have a fresh batch for all the bread on display?”

The baker by the window turns and wipes the flour from his hands, a layer of white powder spread on his apron. “Ah yes.” He scurries away and comes out with a tray full of different kinds of bread.

“Oh thank you! Could you pack it for me?” The man asks, filling a cup with coffee.

He places the tray on the counter and pulls out a paper bag. Using tongs, he carefully packs each bread in smaller bags and stuffs it into the big paper bag with the bakeshop’s logo printed in brown. “Here you go, Hyung.” He places the bag on the tray and moves back to the window.

“Thanks, Seungkwan.” He places a cap on the coffee. “Number 12?” He looks around and spots Vernon. “Sir? Here’s your order.”

Vernon blinks and looks at his number, realizing everyone was looking at him. He approaches the counter. “But I didn’t get coffee…” He takes the bag of bread.

“It’s on the house. You get a free coffee for every three kinds of bread you buy.” The man gives him a smile. “Just for this week, though.”

“Ah! Great!” Vernon smiles. “Thank you.” He grabs the coffee and bows.

The man bows, long hair falling on the sides of his cheek. “Thank you! Come again!”

The bell rings again as Vernon steps out, bag on his back and bread tucked in his arm. “Seungkwan.” He whispers, taking a sip of the warm coffee in his hands, a giddy smile on his lips.


--
Oh my gosh! This is the first au I'm posting here! I hope this was okay. We should be seeing more characters next chapter. Thanks for reading! ;)