Reality

Dreamer Boy

So this one is definitely shorter than the last (and by shorter I mean like this one is 1,500 words whereas the last one was like 3,200 words =v=" ) but other than that I'm happy with this because in two years I'm going to be headed to college soon and I for sure want to pursue in majoring in art because that's how precious it is to me and you know, obviously there's complications already, especially with my parents, so who knows where I'll end up. This story is not only experimental for writing for another pairing, but also to say to pursue your dreams, not the ones that others intend to set up for you.

You know, just do you :)


"Yah, Wonwoo-yah!"

Wonwoo tuned out his manager's voice as he quickly headed out of the cafe to the single tree in a lot of dirt in the sidewalk where he saw a little girl crying and pointing up to the tree as her mother tries to soothe her. Wordlessly, he climbs up the tree quickly, looking for what exactly could've made a little girl cry like that before spotting a bright blue star-shaped balloon. He slowly inches over to the balloon, trying to be careful as to not put too much pressure on the branch since it was thinner than what he usually climbed on, tugging at the string of the balloon slightly to release it.

Apparently, he wasn't careful enough as the branch suddenly snaps and he feels his upper body fall before quickly managing to let go of the branch and grabbing onto another, barely coming down onto the concrete sidewalks and barely not shattering his ankles.

He looks over to the little girl and gives a small smile before handing the balloon (that somehow survived) over to her, her small puffy face lighting up with a 'thank you mister!' before running off and her mother having to chase after her. Wonwoo lets out a satisfied sigh before turning back and seeing his high-key annoyed manager standing there.

"Okay Jeonghan-hyung, my excuse this time is-" and then he was smacked over the head.

"No excuses! Listen, I know you wanted to help the girl but 1) you could've at least asked for permission, 2) you literally threw that broom at a customer, and 3) look at what you've done!" Jeonghan jabs his arms at the broken branch that Wonwoo was holding.

"Um... super-glue it...?" Wonwoo weakly suggested before his ear gets pinched and he's pulled back into the cafe by his ear, ditching the branch at the entrance of the cafe because the branch couldn't even fit through the entrance.

"Welcome back hon-" and Mingyu was quite literally shoved to the side by his face by Jeonghan as the manager drags Wonwoo back to the exact spot where Wonwoo was originally standing.

"When the customer comes back, I expect you to apologize and pay for dirtying his suit from tossing your broom without looking while he was drinking his coffee, okay? Remember, Wonwoo-yah, you're 24, I expect a well thought out apology for the guy, capiche?" Jeonghan huffs, not even letting Wonwoo to say something in response before he marches back to the kitchen as Mingyu follows Jeonghan like a lost puppy.

The waiter lets out a small sigh as he rubs his ear that still hurts after the pinch-and-drag that Jeonghan had put it through. He didn't understand how polar-opposite people could possibly get together seeing how grumpy Jeonghan always was compared to how happy Mingyu always was but somehow they pulled through seeing those platinum rings on their left ring fingers. He mumbles, "I was just doing what was right..." as he waits for whoever he spilled their coffee on.

"Wonwoo?"

Confused at the vaguely familiar voice, he looks up and meets gazes with a man in a suit where his dress shirt now had an ugly brown stain along with the fancy looking royal blue tie. Seeing how fancy his outfit was, Wonwoo immediately felt guilty, "Uh- I'm so sorry for that- er h-how much is it for dry cleaning?"

He blinks cluelessly at Wonwoo before snorting and laughing, confusing Wonwoo even more not only for the reaction but also as to why that laugh sounded so familiar and made his heart do funny tricks. He suddenly holds his hand out for a handshake, to which Wonwoo hesitantly took and immediately notice to the difference between his smooth hands and his own rough hands.

"Hi, I'm Kwon Soonyoung."

All of a sudden, everything felt so surreal, so imaginary, so... dream-like.

"H-Hoshi?" Wonwoo stuttered, feeling dumb for not realizing that all of these familiar traits would only connect to that boy who use to bother him so much with everything he did.

"Oh yeah, I use to call myself that, it slipped my mind for too long," Soonyoung realized as he lets go of Wonwoo's hand to go sit down. He continues speaking, "Well, I go by Soonyoung now- ah, and don't worry about the suit, Wonwoo, I have other ones so it's not that big of a deal."

"O-Oh... okay..." as much as Wonwoo was ecstastic to meet Soonyoung again on the inside, it suddenly felt too awkward for him with how formally the latter was speaking and acting. He realized soon that it was because he was talking to Soonyoung- a stranger- and not Hoshi- Dreamer Boy. Awkwardly, he casts his gaze to the floor as he fiddles with a snag on his apron, "Er- h-how have you been?"

"I've been so-so," Soonyoung shrugged, "After my dad's company moved to another city and back, I ended up inheriting my dad's company, so that's been keeping me busy. Right now I'm on break. How about you?"

"I'm not sure really, but I think I'm happy being where I am right now. It's kinda like what you and Mr. Hong said: I've been too busy not being... me, so I've been clueless as to what I've been trying to do, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now," Wonwoo eased a bit into a small smile.

"Climbing trees and spacing out?"

"Yeah," he awkwardly laughed before noticing how stoicly Soonyoung had asked such a thing. Hesitantly, he asked, "What happened...?" and didn't have enough nerves to finish his sentence.

Soonyoung still managed to understand what he asked- or more like it was the only topic that they haven't quite touched up about, "People change, Wonwoo... people change..." he repeated quietly.

"But.." you're not the one that's suppose to change...

He seemed to have suddenly realized how serious he was before faking a laugh, something that Wonwoo didn't like so much, "Oops, my bad, I meant people grow up."

The sentence didn't change much to Wonwoo. In his opinion, he was just repeating the same underlying message.

'I've been broken.'

And he truly did falter and feel guilty a bit. Where Wonwoo changed for a more carefree nature after their separation, Soonyoung had grown distant and acted for others rather than for his own happiness. Unconsciously, he murmured, "But I liked you as Hoshi.." before shutting his mouth and looking at Soonyoung's surprised face before the latter suddenly laughed and blushed a light pink.

"Thanks, I liked you as 'prez' too," Soonyoung admitted, making Wonwoo feel more flustered than before, "I don't know, I guess I started talking to you because I might have had the tiniest of a crush on you- it's either that or I was just dim-witted."

"How about both," Wonwoo couldn't help but roll his eyes at the thought.

"But hey, that got you to smile more, didn't it?" there it was again, that grin where his eyes squished up into crescents.

"Yeah, you made me realize a lot of things. Maybe I ended up liking you too," Wonwoo smiled even though his cheeks felt more warm than before as he quietly admitted, "I kinda liked it when you called me 'prez'..."

"Really? I liked it when you called me 'Hoshi' too."

The two stared at each other in a clueless manner before both of them laughed at the sight of each other's pink faces. It was something that they wanted for who knows how long now, whether they wanted to admit it or not.

Their conversation was interrupted when a ringtone and vibrations came from Soonyoung's trousers, making him grab his phone and answer before quickly grabbing a napkin and taking a pen out of his blazer and jotting down things quickly while holding the phone to his ear with his shoulder. At the same moment, Jeonghan had called out to Wonwoo to take the orders of some customers that were on the opposite side of the cafe, making him quickly hurry as to not lose those customers.

As Wonwoo let out a sigh of relief after finishing the last of the orders and clipping the papers of orders onto the string dangling in the window between the counter with the register and the kitchen, he turned back to Soonyoung's table to only see him disappear.

At this point, Wonwoo wasn't quite sure whether to feel disappointed or not, but as he walked over there, he suddenly realized that there was a napkin with some scribbles on it before he realized that it was handwriting.

2XX-8XXX (texting would be better)
Sorry, something urgent came up with a client.
Also, I'm glad that I came here. It's been a really long time since I've smiled and laughed so much. I really needed that chat with you, prez~
~Soonyoung, a.k.a. Hoshi
P.S. You had this in your hair and left it behind when you had to go get those orders

And on it, there was a green leaf with speckles of yellow-ish orange at the tip of it.

Wonwoo picked up the leaf and smiled at it.

He knew that Dreamer Boy was still there somewhere, he just needed to help bring him back.