|| target

Butterfingers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

six || target

                                                                                                                                                    

Sohye,

Don’t read this until after you read the story, because I know you will.

When I saw this book at the library a few days ago, I was suddenly reminded of you. Of course, among the characters, you would be the turtle.

Back when we were kids, you would always come to my house and force me to play with you. It was really annoying, but when you showed interest in what I’m doing, I felt a bit happy.

From then on, you came to my house everyday and forced me to teach you how to read. I was so frustrated at how you couldn’t even understand the simplest words. But you didn’t give up. You took your steps slowly but surely.

Yes, at first it was really irritating. But as time passes, I found myself laughing. By then, I realized that I’m already looking forward to your visits. Being with you is really fun. I hope you continue to work hard Sohye.

P.s. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to visit Ji Hoon for the past week, I hope he gets well soon. And tell your brother not to spoil Lee too much.

Dawon

‘That was it?’ Wonwoo’s forehead wrinkled. “This doesn’t make sense.”

‘If this was a letter addressed to someone within their group, shouldn’t there be more to it than just this? If they’re using a secret code then this is really good.’

‘But it still doesn’t make sense.’

‘Sohye. Dawon. Sohye…..Sohye…’ “Sohye.”

“Ah!” his hands found its way to his head and frustratingly messed his hair. “Nothing makes sense!”

 ‘Sohye----Sohye is a turtle. A turtle is slow. Dawon taught her how to read. Sohye is a slow learner, thus she is a turtle. Jihoon, possibly a relative, and who in the world is Lee?’

‘Why can’t I figure this out?’

“Ah!”

Just as he was mulling over his thoughts, a loud shout erupted in the halls outside his room, waking everyone in the palace. “The prince is missing!” shouted the maid as she ran through the entire hallway, informing everyone. “The prince is missing.”

Prince Wonwoo, who was only a few rooms away, immediately got up from his paperwork and hurried to his brother’s room where he found no sign of Seokmin.

“Not again!”Only a handful of blankets tied in the balcony that acted as a rope caught his attention. “That Seokmin.” He stopped himself from cursing as the soldiers began to arrive. But seeing them laze around only raised his anger. “What were you doing? Didn’t I tell you to guard him properly!” he shouted.

Nothing here is going well.

Wonwoo put his hand on his head and carefully massaged it. “Find him now.” He said in an irritated voice that wasn’t so loud, but the way he said it scared the wits out of the soldiers. Every one of them ran in different directions as they hope to find the second prince, but more so, escape the wrath of the prince.

Wonwoo’s lips let out a sigh. He barely got enough sleep last night and the day before and now this. He was physically and mentally worn out. “Seriously.”

There are too many things to worry about.

                                                                                                                                                    

 

At a small inn within Mallady village, Sohye sat on the wooden floor idly staring at Heechul who was busy reading his documents. Seeing him so immersed at something suddenly made her wonder what his actual job was.

‘He looks like a decent nobleman like this.’

‘Was he actually just a debt collector?’

‘How did he actually get us out of that cave?’

‘And that crest.’

Her brows furrowed as she gave more thought to it.

‘If it was supposed to be from a kingdom, why did he have that? It’s very unlikely for him to be someone from a royal family. I mean, if he’s so rich, then why is he wandering around collecting people’s debts? Shouldn’t there be someone to do it for him?’

‘Ah!’ Sohye ruffled confusion. ‘Why is he so secretive?’

 “Don’t stare at me, I already know I’m good looking.” Heechul said in a monotonous voice which made Sohye snort.

“Yeah right.” She replied with mockery and moved her gaze from him and went back to her previous idling when suddenly, she noticed the festive setting outside the window and moved closer to it.

Even though it was already late at night, shops were still open and many people were outside the street.

“They didn’t have this, earlier.” She stared outside in amazement.

Heechul couldn’t help but chuckle as he looked at Sohye’s fixated gaze outside. ‘Ah, of course, Kressmill doesn’t have celebrations like this.’ Heechul thought for a second and spoke. “You can go out and explore the village you know.” He said, keeping a cool expression on his face.

His lips slightly curled upwards as he saw her joyous face from the side. “Really?” she asked excitedly as she crawled closer to Heechul.

“Hmm.”

“Yes!” Sohye pumped her fist in the air.

“But you have to be back before ten.”

Ah.

Sohye stopped and lowered her head.

“What’s wrong?”

“I--I don’t have a clock---and I don’t know how to tell the time.” She said embarrassingly with her head still facing down. He stopped reading his documents and waited for Sohye’s continuation. “All I know is how to differentiate morning, afternoon, and night. I can’t relate much with numbers.” She said and frowned.

Heechul felt a bit guilty as he looked at her depressed face. “Then,” he put down his papers and took out an object from his pocket. He then grabbed her hands and laid out her palms. “I’ll lend you this.” He said as he placed something on her hands.

“What is this?” she looked at Heechul as she grabbed onto its chain and raised it.

“It’s a pocket watch.” He said as he opened it. He then pointed at the long thin line that was constantly moving, “This hand is for seconds, this thicker hand is for---“

Sohye instantly looked at him, her brows knitted in one line. “Wait, what do you mean by hand?”

‘Why did he suddenly talk about hands when we were talking about time?’ she thought.

Heechul found her reaction funny. He thought of how to make her understand, “This three lines right here, these are called hands. This one right here---the thin hand—is for seconds. This other one here—the thicker one---is for minutes. Lastly, this one—the small hand—is for hours. Do you get it?”

“Hm.” Sohye nodded.

From what her expression looked like, it seems that she understood even just a little bit.

“Good. Now if this little one points on the letter X, it means that it is already ten o’clock----wait, you do know how to read numerals right?”

Sohye nodded again. “Dawon taught me how to.”

‘Makes things easier.’

“And if you’re not home by then, you won’t get off easily.” He kind of sounded like his brother whenever he’s nagging. This made her chortle. “I’m serious.”

“So, basically, I have to be back here before this small hand points at X?”

This time, it was Heechul who nodded. “Don’t lose it okay? It’s really important to me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter