Chapter 10 Meeting an old friend

XxX: Mission XO

“Bloody hell,” a familiar voice says behind me, “What the hell…”

“Hi Kevin,” I say quietly, lowering my hands and turning to face him. He’s still the exact same as I remember him which is a good thing indeed, well excluding a few deeper set frown lines but we can’t all stay perfectly looking Adonis’s forever. That would just cause the world to be a very strange and creepy place. Not that it isn’t already but I need to get myself back on track.

“Can you lower the gun mate?” I ask carefully, “You’re freaking the kids out.”

“Oh yeah, sorry,” Kevin says, putting the gun down and only now do I realize that it’s a replica one which makes me feel at ease, “Not every day that you end up finding a bunch of people in your house without having apparently open the…why the hell is there blood on you!”

There’s what? Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

“I’ll grab the first aid kit,” Kevin yells, dropping all pretenses of being the hard-hitting manly man that he is and I knew that there was a reason why I was friends with this hyperactive queer boy.

“God, honestly, can you just not just one day turn up at the door with a box of chocolates, some flowers and a sweet smile offering to take me out for a meal rather than being a usual shoddy blood splattered mess like this all the freaking time?” Kevin sasses towards me as he returns with the first aid box and starts trying to move the undershirt off me, looking every last little bit like some random queer guy.

I grab his hands before he can remove the shirt completely from my body and give him a glare, “Dude it’s not my blood. There’s only one of us here injured and he’s getting seen to by our doctor at the moment.”

Kevin’s eyes go comically wide, “What? Whose injured and who the hell is fixing him?”

The door to the room behind me opens with perfect timing and Yixing steps out, looking shaky and half dead as he tries to stagger towards me, “Kris?”

Yixing’s voice is so weak and I rush over to him, catching him before he can fall and gently lowering him to the floor, “Bloody Christ, Yixing I told you not to kill yourself.”

Yixing is heaving in breaths and he looks so sad and pale that I don’t quite know what to do or say to him right now. He gulps, “Sehun…he needs…more than…”

“Don’t you dare,” I say, catching hold of Yixing’s hand as he tries to steal some of the energy in my heart so that he can fuel his powers further. As much as I want to save Sehun, I’m not losing a friend in exchange for another. “You’ve done what you can. We’ll get someone professional to look at him.”

“Already on that,” Kevin says matter of factly, turning up with the phone pressed to his ear, “He’s stable for now but why you didn’t zap him straight to a hospital I don’t know.”

I shake my head, “Wasn’t me. Kai just brought us here, though I don’t know how he knew that we were even headed here.”

A look comes across Kevin’s face and he goes to open his mouth but opts against it and instead answers whoever is on the other side of the phone. A slight suspicion begins to build up in my heart but Luhan is settling down next to me with a confused look on his face and I blink at him.

“Is he your friend?” Luhan asks tentatively, whilst Baekhyun has raced in to see Sehun and probably confirm that the other is at least stable for now.

For a few seconds, I’m confused and then I realize that we were probably conversing in English which won’t have settled the other’s nerves in the slightest, “Yeah, that’s Kevin. He’s a hacker like you, you’ll get on fine. We switch languages automatically, sorry about that.”

“Just tell me that he’s getting someone for Sehunnie,” Baekhyun says as he appears, looking pale and like he’s about to burst into tears at any given seconds.

Sighing I gently hand Yixing over to Luhan and move to hug Baekhyun properly for the first time in what feels like forever, “Sehun will survive through this. You know that Yixing will have gotten most of it sorted and there’s no need to worry Baekhyun.”

He hits me but with no real force behind it and I completely understand. Especially when I cast my eyes upwards towards the bedroom where Sehun is laying and god does he look so sick and pale. I trust in Yixing though and I know that Kevin will bring someone who will help Sehun out because he owes us that much.

Granted I’m probably going to have to stock his fridge for a month for this mess but that’s a minor complaint really. He’s a really good and understanding guy to just accept us all like this and not shoot us on sight. Letting out a sigh, I find myself on the floor cuddling all four of the others, hoping that I can lend them enough strength to keep on going even though I don’t know where this path is taking me either.

~*~

Later that night, after Kevin’s doctor friend and come and patched up Sehun without many questions and declared that a couple of days of rest would be more than enough for him to recover fully, I’m sitting in the main living room with Kevin, sharing a box of take away noodles and watching him type occasionally away on the computer screen.

“So,” he says finally after shutting down a program and turning to face me, “Have you the foggiest idea of where the hell you’re going right now, Kris?”

Pausing with the noodles just short of my mouth, I shrug, “Wherever the hell this leads us to.”

Putting the noodles into my mouth I chew them as I retrieve the small USB from my back pocket and place it on the desk, “I dunno quite what’s going on but I think the answer is there.”

Kevin pauses mid chew and then swallows, his eyes on the drive for a second before he turns them to the sleeping figures of the others. His eyes are thoughtful and he hands that chopsticks back to me for a second before smacking his lips together as he leans back, “Kris, what do you remember of the Program?”

“A whole lot of stuff that I would rather forget,” I say, my voice completely deadpanned because I really don’t want to go into that subject area after everything that has gone on.

“I know that but what specifically?” Kevin says, his voice lowering as he watches the others sleeping.

A new frown crosses my face as I put aside the noodles and get his attention on me fully, “About what?”

Kevin takes a deep breath, clearly thinking over his words before letting out a sigh of his own, “The Time Project.”

That makes me instantly recoil and pull back, looking away sharply because of all the things that he had to bring up, that was the one that I least wanted to hear him say. Yes, I know what that damn project is, I know every last detail and hell no I don’t want to go anywhere near it because it is something out of the worst nightmares possible.

Kevin however knows how to get me to talk, gently turning my face back to look at his with a knowing gaze, “You saw him, didn’t you?”

“What?” I ask, caught off guard.

“You saw The Time Project,” Kevin states slowly, making sure that I don’t mishear his words, “When you were in the airport. You saw him, right?”

Something in my expression must give me away because Kevin pulls back and pulls up a few feeds on his computer, all from various different CCTV portals and in all of them I can see myself, doing virtually everything that had come before. Including walking into the baggage handling area and finding Tao. “But that…that was a vision? I mean, it was just…” my words fail me as I sit back down and stare at Kevin, “You’ve been stalking me?”

“Hell no,” he thankfully catches onto the black humor joke that I’m making right now, “You may be an Adonis whom practically everyone wants to get into the pants of but been there, done that and never again thanks.”

“Geeze, make a guy feel loved,” I joke back but I know that he’s not off the previous topic yet which is an annoyance.

Kevin flips me off before sighing, “No I’m not stalking you. Someone asked me to monitor you and make sure that you got here.”

“Suho?” I ask a bit too hopefully but Kevin more than knows of my crush on the other, hell the dude even writes fiction of it which is completely embarrassing to stumble upon at three in the morning.

A smirk crosses the others features, “You wish. No, but he’s part of this.”

“Part of what?” I ask, feeling confused.

“The Time Project, you all are,” Kevin says gently, “Tao made sure of it.”

I frown, “But we’re not time manipulators.”

“No, you’re not,” Kevin smirks a little, “But depending on where you guys and your actions at any given moment, you will affect the flow of time.”

I blink and open my mouth to argue when suddenly it hits me. I clearly remember the fire that meant that I was on my own, whereas the others thought I had just walked out on them. I remember that Tao had always been fascinated with idol groups when he was younger and he always said that he wanted to be in one because they looked to be so much fun.

I gulp, “Wait, this is a scenario engineered completely by Tao?”

“Not totally,” Kevin says, “He can only affect the timelines of you guys apparently.”

“But to what end?” I ask, wondering why he would try to keep us apart and then bring us all back together.

“He wants you home,” Kevin answered sweetly, “The last message I have from him is that his mission is almost done. He just needs you all back so that he can finish it off.”

There’s a vibration from my pocket and I answer the call without hesitation, “Hello?”

“Kris?” Suho sounds a little on the shocked side and I figure that he’s picked up the same message as me.

“Disney Sea,” is all I say in reply, snapping the phone shut and smiling towards Kevin who’s already got the tourist page open and ordering all that we need.

Gotta love this guy.