Purple

Eight Years

Kyungil packed up the gifts, each in their own separate wrapping. It might be the little girl’s birthday and it was also the best opportunity to give Yijeong something to let him know how special he was. There wasn’t another time that could be better.

He put the three packages in a bag and headed out of his apartment. Crystal park was close by; a greenhouse type area. It was similar to the mall where he worked. It was an enclosed space with a domed glass ceiling; not really a park in the traditional sense. Inside the ground was covered with grass or some artificial turf, all types of trees littered the park and the walkways were lined with multitudes of flowers. Unless you’d just entered the park or looked up, there was no way of knowing you were in a building.

Kyungil walked around the park until he found Yijeong on one of the sheltered platforms next to a cookout pit. There was probably ten other people sitting on the benches under the pavilion including a little girl perched on a man’s lap. It had to be Raina’s daughter, mainly because she was the only child but also, she had the same light skin, chubby cheeks and bright eyes. He had a passing thought that she also looked a little like the man she was sitting with, however Yijeong spotted him and those thoughts didn’t matter anymore.

“Kyungil!” The boy motioned him over, “I’m glad you came!”

He glanced at the three small giftbags Kyungil was pulling out of his satchel, “wow, you really went all out.”

“Well, only one of them is for the birthday girl, the other two are for Raina and you, Love.”

“That’s so sweet,” Yijeong took the bags, his face flushing at the pet name, separating the one meant for Eunjung.

“You can open it if you want,” Kyungil glanced around at the other guests, “it’s not what I really wanted to give you, however, it’ll do for now.”

Suddenly the small girl ran up and attached herself to Kyungi’s leg, “hi! Did you bring me a gift? It’s my birthday, you know? I’m five.”

“Eunjung,” Raina hurried over and gently pried her away, “what have I told you about touching people who aren’t family without their permission?”

“I’m sorry, mommy,” she pouted and looked up at the stranger, “I’m Eunjung, who are you?”

“My name is Kyungil,” he bent down and smiled at the girl, “are you having a good birthday?”

“I am,” she narrowed her eyes, “are you dating my mommy?”

“Eunjung!” Yijeong and Raina exclaimed.

Kyungil laughed, “no, I’m just a friend and yes, I did bring you a gift. Would you like to open it?” He raised a brow at Raina, “would that be alright? I see that it’s not time for presents, still I think it would be nice.”

“Sure,” she nodded at the little girl, “only one gift right now. Okay?”

Eunjung jumped excitedly and grabbed the purple giftbag from Kyungil, quickly pulling out the matching tissue paper. Like the child she was, Eunjung discarded the paper without a thought, aiming for the present instead.

“Is…is that real?” Raina leaned over and whispered to Kyungil, “that’s not real, right?”

“I was bored,” he stated simply.

“That’s too much,” she hissed, “that must be at least a few hundred dollars.”

Kyungil didn’t respond, focused on the little girl’s amazed expression as she ran her fingers across the object. He squatted next to her, “here, let me help.”

She timidly handed him the gift and Kyungil flattened out her ink black hair before settling the item on her head. “I made it just for you, so it looks fabulous.”

Kyungil, in his boredom, had made a small gold tiara fitted with bold amethysts. The design was carefree and winding; it looked like ivy with the gems were placed on the leaves. It was beautiful and the young birthday girl looked regal.

“Thank you!” Eunjung reached up to touch the metal, making sure it was secure before wrapping her arms around his neck, “I feel like a princess.”

“You are a princess,” he replied, not able to keep the grin off his face. This was one of the reasons he loved making jewelry, the reaction from people when they received it.

“Now,” Raina bent down next to Kyungil, “Kyungil made that for you, he spent a lot of time and money making it. You’ll take really good care of it, wont you?”

“You made it?” She stared at the brunette wide eyed and nodded, “I’ll take good care of it.”

She hopped away to show off her tiara to the rest of the guests. Raina sighed heavily, “it’s too expensive Kyungil. She’s never going to take it off and it’ll be destroyed by the end of the week.”

“Even a week of use makes it worthwhile,” the brunette took one of the bags from Yijeong and handed it Raina; this one was red with matching tissue paper.

“Oh,” she handled the bag carefully, “Kyungil, you really shouldn’t have.”

“I cant very well only give something to Yijeong, now can I,” he said, only half joking, “it would be a tad suspicious, wouldn’t it.”

“That’s true. I cant accept this, though.”

Kyungil frowned, his brow furrowing in confusion, “why not? I made it with you in mind. Just like I made the tiara with your daughter in mind. Granted, I didn’t really know her.”

“That’s very thoughtful,” she the handle of the bag, “you could still sell it. I don’t want to put you out.”

“Yijeong’s was the most costly,” he grinned, “if it makes you feel any better.”

Raina shot him a sly look and began picking apart the bag, “it doesn’t. You’ll go out of business.”

She pulled out and opened the small box inside, “oh, Kyungil.”

For her, he had made a pair of opal earrings. Not that he knew her favorite color or gem, it just seemed to be right. The earrings were silver studs with embellished decorations around the fitting. The metal was bent in arches around the gem; on every other arch, there were graduating sizes of diamonds lining the silver.\

“This is…gorgeous.” She held the stem of the earring, examining it, “I cant—I really cant.”

“Nope, it’s already yours,” he ruffled her hair. Eunjung popped up between them and grinned, “mommy, is Kyungil your boyfriend?”

“Again,” Raina tapped the girl on her nose, “we’re just friends.”

Eunjung scowled and trotted away.

“Can I,” Yijeong clutched his gift, “can I open mine?”

“Of course,” Kyungil nodded his head towards one of the empty benches, “let’s go sit down.”

“Behave you two,” Raina called after them. Kyungil sat down next to Yijeong, slinging his hand over the back of the bench. It wasn’t touching, it was close though. The dark haired boy picked open his bag, hands grasping nervously at the box inside.

“It wasn’t what I wanted to give you…” Kyungil said nervously, “I wanted something more intimate, that wont do, will it?”

“No,” Yijeong ran his hand across the box, flipping the lid open. Inside was a white gold metal bracelet with a flat piece about an inch and a half in length in the center, a row of sapphires lining the space. The rest of the bracelet was connected by braided lengths of metal alternating natural white gold and traditional gold.

“I love it,” Yijeong toyed with the bracelet and extended his arm to the man, “wanna help?”

Kyungil latched the bracelet around Yijeong’s wrist, gliding his fingers down the other’s hand once he was done. Simple touches were the only contact they could have and it was suffocating.

“Hey, guys,” Jaeho leaned over the back of the bench, “just so you know, there are cameras at one, three, ten and six.”

“Also five,” a tall, lanky man said from beside the other, “and guards patrolling not too far away.”

“So,” Jaeho glanced between the two, “the guests are wanting to know who this man is who spent so much money on the three of you. They want to be introduced. I suggest you do so.”

Yijeong grumbled something but stood up, flicking his wrist to let Kyungil know to follow. The brunette followed behind, Jaeho sandwiched between him and the other man.

“Oh, right. I’m Sihyoung, 20,” the tall man grinned, “I’m Jaeho’s b-“ He was interrupted by a sharp jab to his ribs and a stern glare from the blonde.

“Kyungil, 26,” he nodded at Sihyoung, noting the sidelong glances the other two keep giving each other. They were lucky, they could be together. He didn’t know why they were hiding it. Maybe they just didn’t want Kyungil to be upset.

Yijeong led Kyungil around introducing him to his family one after the other in an mass parade of names. He bowed formally to the last person, sure he wouldn’t remember any of these names. The introductions made him feel welcomed even though there was no reason they should be so warm to him. They were, though, and it made him yearn for the comfort that family provided.

“I think that’s everyone,” Yijeong looked around, his father and Sihyoung were at the grill finishing the burgers and hotdogs while his mother, Raina and Jaeho set dishes out on the table.

“What about him?” He pointed to where Eunjung was, once again, seated in the man’s lap.

“Right, right,” Yijeong plodded over and sat down on the bench beside his niece, “Kyungil this is Dokyun.”

The man shifted Eunjung and awkwardly reached her to shake Kyungil’s hand, “Nice to meet you, Dokyun, 21.”

“Kyungil, 26,” he said for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. The introduction had never bothered him before, a government standard when meeting someone new; it made it easier to dignify where lines should be drawn. Today, however, it felt a little bit annoying.

Eunjung lifted her hand and touched the tiara, as if to just ensure it was still there even though she could feel it’s weight on her head. She grinned and snuggled into the dark haired mans chest chattering about something. Yijeong was pulled into the conversation and he gave Kyungil a sad pout before the latter walked away.

Kyungil stopped near Raina who was now alone in prepping the table, “need any help?”

“Sure,” she handed him utensils and plates to set the table, “Sihyoung wanted to play lawn darts and whisked Jaeho away and Mom went to help Dad get the meat finished.”

“A bit uncomfortable, aren’t you?” She noticed the slight pull at his brow. Kyungil breathed out, “not uncomfortable, per say, more along the lines of not knowing people or how to act.”

“You get me though,” he added with a smile, “your brother, with urging from Jaeho, just pulled me around without a second thought.”

“He’s just happy to spend time with you.”

“Hm,” Kyungil set one plate down and moved on to the next placemat, “why didn’t you get married?”

Raina sighed and fell onto the bench; this question came up all the time and being asked over and over was tiring. And Kyungil had already asked her once before. She couldn’t avoid it forever.

“I’m saving it for something special,” she smiled and glanced over at her daughter.

“Love and a family isn’t something special?”

“Of course,” she patted the spot beside her and waited for him to sit, “however, to me, Yijeong is precious and more important to me than anyone short of Eunjung.”

Kyungil smirked, “that doesn’t really answer the question though.”

“You’re right, it doesn’t.”

Kyungil could only laugh to himself as the rest of Yijeong’s family joined them, filling in the picnic table, happily scooping food onto their plates. It was hectic and calming at the same time. Everyone around him was chatting carelessly while he was afraid to say a single thing in case he offended them.

Yijeong sat down on the other side of him and pushed a burger from his own plate onto Kyungil’s, “eat.”

“Thank you,” the brunette slipped his hand under the table and slid it down Yijeong’s thigh. The boy pressed his lips tight and stared at Kyungil, “you’re welcome.”

“Quit that,” Jaeho chucked a roll across the table hitting Yijeong on the forehead, “there are people around who don’t want to see that.”

“See what?” Kyungil raised both of his hands innocently making a good portion of the table erupt in laughter. It was a silent joke but it was understood by most. It made Kyungil relax knowing Yijeong’s family didn’t entirely disapprove of his closeness to the latter.

“Kyungil, Kyungil!” Eunjung pushed herself between Yijeong and the man before worming herself into his lap. The little girl curled up against his chest with her hands balled into his shirt, “will you make me another treat next year?”

“For your next birthday?” Kyungil smoothed her hair back, “if I’m around that long, sure.”

“Of course you’ll be around!” She insisted, “you wanna marry Yiji, right?”

Yijeong quickly clamped a hand over and shook his head with a sharp, knowing look, “remember what mommy told you?”

“But I like Kyungil!”

“You just like the tiara he made for you,” Yijeong flicked the piece of metal on the girls head. She yelped and reached for the crown, “Yiji, don’t be mean cause you only got a bracelet. You cant be a princess.”

Yijeong made a face and snatched the tiara from Eunjung, placing it on his own head and running away from her, “I can be whatever I want. I’m a beautiful princess.”

“Yijeong!” She cried, flying off Kyungil’s lap to chase after Yijeong, “give it back. Don’t ruin it!”

The small girl chased Yijeong around the lawn; he was mostly able to keep away from her but occasionally her fingertips would graze his back and he would reup his efforts of running away. Beside him Raina rolled her eyes and pulled him back into a conversation.

“He’s really great, wonderful with Eunjung.”

“Are you trying to sell me on Yijeong,” Kyungil chuckled, “I’ve already been snagged.”

She jabbed him in the arm, “you know, there’s no future.”

“Now, Raina, why must you go and ruin the mood by saying stuff like that.”

“I don’t want you to hurt my little brother.”

“I would never hurt him.”

Raina sighed, that same look in her eyes from the restaurant, “you’re already hurting him. You promise him love and happiness and you cant give him that. You know it.”

Kyungil clenched his jaw, “I cant touch him but I can love him, and I am the only person who loves him this much. Don’t take him away from me, Raina.”

“I wont, so just listen to me…”

Yijeong stopped in his tracks and Eunjung immediately tackled him, prying the crown from his head. He laughed at her as she examined it, making sure there were no scratches or any damage. Yijeong lay on the grass with the girl sitting on his chest and glanced over to the pavilion.

Kyungil and his sister were leaned in smiling and talking to each other. Suddenly the weight on his chest doubled, and not because of Eunjung.