Chapter 6: Changing for the better

The painful love that freed my soul

 

 

 

 

 

 

            In Ha walked out of the locker rooms being glared at by the entire female students in school, it was amazing how rumors flew by so fast. In Ha was already hated for hurting the huge star in school.

 

“Ugh…. How can she walk all high and mighty?”
A girl whispered,

 

“I don’t know, to me her face doesn’t even look naturally pretty.”

 

“It was plastic surgery, it looks too obvious!”

The girls bursted into laughter, not knowing In Ha was on the other side of the lockers, hearing the other girl’s conversation. She felt her eyes began to water,
In Ha never cried in a long time. The last time she did was when her mom died, however, she was never used to people making fun of her considering she used to be rich, home schooled, isolated, and a pretty face.

However, at school, She felt she was the lowest in the whole school.
In Ha rubbed her eyes with her long arm sleeves, “Don’t cry In Ha…. Don’t cry….. You promised Umma to never shed tears again….. Promise…”

 

In Ha ran out of the locker rooms and saw Hyuna and Myungsoo standing out of the locker rooms, with Hyuna trying to talk to him but Myungsoo just rolling his eyes and looking away, trying to escape from her company.

 

Hyuna turned and saw In Ha standing outside,
“Oh, look Myungsoo. It’s the girl who hit you in the head with the football.”
Hyuna glared at her.

 

In Ha gritted her teeth, trying to look tough, clenching her fist, and glaring at Hyuna.

 

 

“You know you got some nerve you know that? Coming to this school and act like you’re some person who is the top shot. How does it feel to be like a nobody like other people huh?” Hyuna asked, crossing her arm, and approaching her.

She hated that she was such a petite short girl, while Hyuna was tall and curvy, letting her woman features hang out. She felt intimidated.

In Ha tried to walk past Hyuna, until she was grabbed by the wrist by Hyuna.
“What’s wrong? Cat caught your tongue?” Hyuna asked,

 

“Let go….” In Ha said, wanting to run away and cry.
She never felt so humiliated in her life;

 

“No, it’s time you finally got what you deserve.”
Hyuna spoke, raising her arm, ready to scratch her with her long cougar nails.

 

“YAH! What are you doing!? You can’t do this!”
In Ha panicked,

 

“Wae!? Because you’re a flower face!? HUH!?
Yah! Your pale face makes me irritated to see! I’m just helping it look better!” Hyuna screamed, getting ready to scratch.

 

When Hyuna’s claw fingers were about to land onto her face,
In Ha quickly closed her eyes and took a step back, getting ready to take in the pain.

 

However, she felt like she really deserved this, all she did was cause trouble to other people and annoy them. She realized, not a lot of people really respected her because of her attitude.  And she saw how people treated her differently, realizing how retarded she acted towards them, calling them commoners and stating them like low people.
If she was about to get hurt, at least she knew she deserved this.

 

 

A sudden puff of air went to her face,
Hyuna’s hand was stopped.
In Ha slowly peeked up with one eye and saw Myungsoo hold Hyuna’s hand down, stopping Huna’s hand from touching her face by a inches away.  She was now really confused, why the heck was Myungsoo helping her? He never did anything kind towards someone after all the days she’s been in school.



“ Yah! Oppa! Let go!” Hyuna yelled snatching her arm away.

 

“IN HA!” A familiar voice came up from behind In Ha,
It was Yoona, and she quickly grabbed her best friend and hugged her tightly, trying to keep away from the fight.

 

“WAE!? Why are you defending her!? YAH!!” Hyuna questioned,

 

Myungsoo stood silent, his eyes looked like  he was going to hold Huna down if she went any closer to In Ha.

 

“ Why don’t you talk !? ANSWER ME!!!!!!”

 

Now everyone surrounded the scene, staring at what the commotion was about.
In Ha was just staring at Myungsoo who stood in front of her with his long, straight, confident ,back. It was as if Myungsoo changed to some completely different person. Seeing him act this way.

 

“I’m asking you a question Myungsoo!!! Why!?
She hit you! Why are you letting her do this!? Does she threaten you!?---”

 

 

“Be quiet.” Myungsoo spoke,
it was a long time ever since In Ha heard Myungsoo’s voice,
 However, she didn’t know it was the first time Myungsoo spoke so freely to someone his age. Students were surprised and shocked,  it was the first they saw Myungsoo stand up for someone before. When In Ha looked at Yoona, she looked surprised herself.

 

Myungsoo turned his head half way,
“You…. Are you okay? Did you get scratched?” Myungsoo asked In Ha.

 

‘Is he t-talking to me!?’
“Uh….. N-Neh, I’m fine….” She nodded,

 

Myungsoo turned away,
“Don’t cause such a big deal for something so small,
also don’t get into other’s people’s business. It shows how
nosey you are.” Myungsoo flat out spoke to Hyuna,
even though it was the same low and deep voice he talked in, Myungsoo never talked like that to someone in front of students before.

 

He then turned around and walked off from the crowd, going who knows where, with the entire student body, staring at Myungsoo.

 

“In Ha, are you really okay?” Yoona asked,

 

“Yeah, I really am.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

“She seems to be fine.”  The nurse informed,

“REALLY!? ARE YOU SURE!?” Yoona asked,

“Dear, you’re too worried.” The nurse chuckled,
“I’ll excuse you two for now, however next time, don’t get involved in fights next time.”

 

“Neh.” They spoke out at the same time,

 

“I’ll be back to call your classrooms that you were in here.
Stay here for a while.”

 

“Kmsamidah” In Ha said,

 

Once the nurse left, Yoona sighed in relief loudly,
“Oh thank god you’re okay, what was the huge deal?
What did that Hyuna want huh?”

 

“I.... Accidentally hit Myungsoo on the head with the football and
she and other people said they couldn’t stand me going to school here.”

 

“Aish…. Girls are really crazy when it comes to men and beauty.
Yah, don’t let it get to you, they’re just jealous, you’re pretty and confident In Ha, it’s just who you are.”

 

“But why do people treat me like this if I’m just being myself?”

 

“You should know, not everyone in this world will like you.
There will be more people like Hyuna and those girls, but you have to learn to get used to it and put up with it.”

 

“That’s so low….”

 

“That’s life…..”

 

In Ha looked down as she was clenching onto her mother’s old handkerchief,
“Did I bother people that much?”

 

“You didn’t bother. The way you put it into words just made it sound like you were some all high mighty queen and they were some servants.”

 

“I-I didn’t attend…”

 

“I know you didn’t.” Yoona smiled, patting her back.

 

“Then what….. Should I do?” In Ha asked.

“What do you mean?”

 

“I wanna show my sincere apology….. I didn’t want to hurt their feelings.”

“ Well if you wanna earn people’s respect, why don’t you apologize what started in the first place? Why don’t you start by thanking Myungsoo
for saving your out there?”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

In Ha took the sodas out of the vending machine she paid for.
In Ha decided to thank Myungsoo with a special treat to a can of soda,
even though she couldn’t get something better, it was the only thing she could afford, and she saw it in a sitcom how someone would buy something for someone to say sorry. However, She really didn’t want to approach Myungsoo after hitting him on the head with a football and being warned told to stay away from her. But then again, he did help her, he must’ve probably forgot about it.

 

In Ha walked into the gym entrance with two cans of sodas in her hands,
it seemed like all the other sport activities already ended, seeing no one was there, Myungsoo should be here though, since he was an all star athlete, he must practice 24:7,

 

In Ha walked into the Boxing room, however, no one was there. It seemed she was the only one in there and Myungsoo probably already left a long time ago.

 

“Where did he go…… I want to give him this and he leaves?” In Ha pouted.

 

“Give who what?----“

 

“OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHH!” In Ha shrieked and turned around, but only to find Myungsoo behind him.

“Y-You gave me a heart attack! I thought you were a ghost!”

In Ha panted, “D-Did you just finish practice?” In Ha asked.

 

“What is it you want?” Myungsoo spoke looking annoyed,


‘Wow, such a short temper and ego he’s got.’ In Ha thought as she flared her nostrils and looked a little pissed.

“Oh th-that….. Uh, I wanted to give you these.”
In Ha smiled and handed him the orange and strawberry soda.
“Here.” She said putting her head down, feeling embarrassed to do this to someone she didn’t really respect.

 

“What is this?” Myungsoo asked.

 

“I-It’s an apology gift….” In Ha mumbled,

 

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t quite hear that.” Myungsoo teased, putting his ear closer,

 

“YAH! I’m trying to be a better person! But you’re not helping!!!--” In Ha shouted, but paused to control her own temper,
“I mean…… Uh, Our fist impressions towards each other were a bad start.
All I did was scream and act rude... I’m...  I’m………”

 

 


“Hey, you look like you’re gonna throw up.”

 

“Let…Me finish…… I’m…… D-Deeply…..
S-……..Sorry.”

 

 

In Ha, blushed from humiliation, she never apologized to someone because of her rude and stubborn attitude; however, she really wanted a different impression to people now.

 

She felt the sodas disappear from her had,
Myungsoo actually accepted the gift?

 

In Ha looked up and Myungsoo just stared at the soda cans, looking confused,
he never drank things like this, he was secretly scared of dentists and liked to stay away from sweet things as much as possible.

 

“So…. Are we friends?” In Ha’s words blurted out,

‘Why did I say such another stupid thing? I feel like whatever I say something in front of this guy, I’m the biggest idiot or something’

Myungsoo looked up, with his usual face expression though.
“It’s best, if someone like you and me weren’t close…”

 

“Bwoh?” In Ha questioned,

 

“Don’t take it personally… I’m always alone at school for a reason,
I just can’t relate to people. I just only wanna focus on my boxing at school
and my exams, not here to be friends with people.”

 

“……I guess I kinda get you.”
In Ha said, ‘He is the type that looks like he doesn’t want friends for a reason,
I shouldn’t ask him questions like that though.’

 

“But…. Thanks for the soda; I received a lot of gifts from girls….
But this seems to be the first time I got such an … interesting gift.”
Myungsoo spoke, then chuckling.

 

In Ha’s chest suddenly felt weird and warm inside….
She never saw this soft side to Myungsoo ever. He never showed his real self around people before. It made her a little happy to see him acting like this only around her. She would get angry if he did this around another girl.

 

“Yah… You better treasure it okay? I never give gifts to people,
you must feel honored to be given such a awesome gift to such a beautiful girl.”

She spoke as she crossed her arms.

 

 

“Gamawo”

 

‘Crap, now my heart is beating ten times as fast!
What the heck is this!?’ In Ha yelled in her head.

 

“ I-I’m leaving, the bus is probably here…..” In Ha stated, pulling her bag handle to her shoulder.’

“Alright.” Myungsoo said, waving bye as he was holding the can of sodas.

 

In Ha quickly walked past him, keeping her head low,
she held onto her bag of pink, ugly, shoes. Feeling her heart beat twice as fast.
What was this feeling? It really couldn’t be explained. She never felt like she wanted to be close to a person this badly before.

 

“Yah.” In Ha spoke from afar.

 

In Ha paused and whirled her head around,

 

“Your shoes… You should start wearing them. Your dad worked hard to buy them.” Myungsoo stated, and turned around to enter the boxing ring,

 

‘Wait what? How does he know my dad bought these for me?’ In Ha thought in her head,

 

“A handsome boy picked it out for me”
She remembered her dad saying.

 

“Yah…Was Myungsoo that guy!?” In Ha whispered to herself,
she turned around and looked at Myungsoo  who was practicing on the punching bag.

“Why would he pick such embarrassing shoes!?” In Ha yelled quietly to herself.
She ran out of the gym and to the corner of school at the bus stop,

 

“Aish… That stupid guy! Why would he do this to me!? Probably to tease me!” In Ha blushed as she took out the pink shoes, staring at them. However, how come, now that she saw that Myungsoo chose it out, she didn’t see these shoes quite ugly as much as she did the first time?

 

“What am I thinking?! These shoes are a fashion disaster!” In Ha shook her head out of the thought,” Just because he chose it out, I’ll think differently!?
Such a bad guy…..” In Ha said to herself.

 

“Maybe, I’ll wear them tomorrow….. And maybe I’ll take the bus for morning, from now on.” In Ha spoke as she grinned to herself and snuggled the pink shoes.