CHAPTER 2 : THE WALLS

Then, Now and Forever

‘That was a great performance, wasn’t it? Song Jaerim is so handsome!’, Baekhee gushed about the famous musical actor.

‘I’m handsome, too.’, Chanyeol states and Baekhee burst into laughter, causing Chanyeol to pout.

‘Why are you laughing? Am I not handsome?’

‘Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?’, Baekhee changes the topic.

‘Sushi. And Baek, am I handsome?’, Chanyeol blocked her path and Baekhee found her face facing Chanyeol’s chest directly. Her heart skipped a beat when she looked up, finding those brown orbs staring into hers.

Baekhee quickly looked away and took a step back. She mustn’t fall for Chanyeol. She can’t.

It had always been like this. Baekhee had been building walls and drawing borders between her and Chanyeol since her high school years. She knew she had fallen for Chanyeol, from the moment he offered her his jacket on one rainy day during their school campfire.

As much as she wanted to be in a romantic relationship with Chanyeol, she couldn’t afford to lose Chanyeol. She was afraid that if their relationship went wrong, things would never be the same between them. She constantly reminded herself that Chanyeol was only her best friend, nothing more and nothing less. She’s been controlling her feelings all these years but lately, it’s getting more difficult to control it because Chanyeol seems to be treating her more than a friend. He’s trying to cross the border between them and Baekhee feels extremely guilty whenever she pushes him away and she could see the glint of sadness in his eyes.

‘Baek, you should eat more.’, Chanyeol pushes a plate of sushi towards her direction.

She picks up a piece of sushi and popped it into , nodding at the taste.

‘It’s delicious.’

‘Are you free tomorrow? I have a few DVD’s and I thought we could watch it tomorrow.’, Chanyeol suggested, pouring out sweet soy sauce on Baekhee’s saucer.

‘Yeah, sure.’, Baekhee replied in between munches.

‘Great.’, he smiled and her heart fluttered at the sight. Oh, Yeol.

The little actions that Chanyeol does made her heart flutter or beat like crazy. She likes it when Chanyeol tells her not to skip meals, she likes it when Chanyeol would give her strawberry milk before her morning classes, she likes it when Chanyeol surprises her with caramel macchiato when she’s tired and she especially likes it when Chanyeol calls her at night to wish her ‘Goodnight’ even though he said it earlier before entering his apartment which is right next to hers.

She didn’t want to lose all those precious moments.

 

*****

 

Baekhee was currently lying against the head of her bed, reading a book when her phone rang. She swiped the screen and answered it with a smile.

‘Hi.’

‘Hey, Baek.’, Chanyeol said on the other side of the line.

Her smile got bigger when she heard the low and warm voice.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Reading a book. You?’, she replied, playing with the tip end of the page she stopped at.

‘Thinking of you.’, Chanyeol said and Baekhee’s heart rate quickened upon hearing those words.

A brief silence fell between them and she could hear Chanyeol’s steady breathing on the line.

‘Baek?’, Chanyeol broke the silence.

‘Y-Yeah?’, Baekhee silently cursed herself for stuttering.

‘I can’t wait for tomorrow. I’ll make you the tastiest popcorn you’ve ever tasted.’, Chanyeol said and Baekhee smiled.

‘See you tomorrow.’

‘Goodnight, Baek.’

‘Goodnight, Yeol.’, her voice soft and she waited for a few seconds to hear Chanyeol’s breathing before hanging up.

He’s just a friend.

 

The moment Baekhee hung up, Chanyeol sighed. He stared at his phone wallpaper.

A picture of him and Baekhee. Her long wavy black hair pulled up into a neat bun with a light pink ribbon at the top and she was dressed in a whitish pink tutu, a bright smile on her face. Her arms linked with Chanyeol’s, who stood next to her with his dark brown hair gelled up and wearing a black suit.

The picture was taken last year at the annual university dance festival. Baekhee had performed ballet for the opening ceremony and the picture was taken before the performance and Chanyeol was the emcee for the first half of the festival. Chanyeol thought Baekhee looked extremely beautiful that night. She looked graceful and ethereal that almost everybody could not take their eyes off her.

He closed his eyes and sighed. Why did Baekhee had to keep a distance between them? Was it wrong to be in love with your best friend? All those questions were running through his mind.

He wanted to be there for her when she needed him.

He wanted to protect and love her.

He wanted to be in a romantic relationship with her.

He wanted to get married and live happily with her.

Was it too much to ask for? Does Baekhee not feel the same way as him?

Whenever he takes a step forward, she would take a step back. It was painful for him.

It’s hard for him to break the wall between them.

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you my dear subscribers and also silent readers!!! /throws hearts/ I just hope you don't find it too boring. Do comment and subscribe thank you^^