CHAPTER 3 : THE CRACK

Then, Now and Forever

Chanyeol was pouring caramel over the freshly-popped popcorn when he heard a knock on his apartment door.

‘Hi, Baek.’, he opened the door and saw Baekhee dressed in a white graphic tee and a pair of black leggings. She looks good in everything.

‘Hi.’, she chirped. ‘Something smells good.’, peeking over Chanyeol's shoulder.

‘That’s a surprise. Choose a movie. I’ll be right back.’, Chanyeol said with a smile, pointing at a few DVDs on the coffee table before entering the kitchen.

She took a seat on the couch and looked at the DVDs. She chose her favourite. High School Musical.

She was about to switch on the DVD player when Chanyeol came out with a big bowl of caramelized home-made popcorn.

‘Wow, that looks good. The smell itself is driving me crazy.’, Baekhee said, quickly switching the player on and walked hurriedly towards Chanyeol (who was holding the popcorn).

She took a seat next to Chanyeol, a gap between them and she hugged the big white pillow.

Chanyeol looked at the space between them then at Baekhee. He forced a small smile.

‘Here, Baek. It’s really good.’, he said, giving the big bowl of popcorn to her.

She popped it into and chewed it. She widened her eyes and nodded her head.

‘Yeol, you should open your own popcorn shop! These are amazing. The cinema popcorn stand would be ruined if you opened one.’, she said, letting out a few ‘Mmm’ between her chews.

Chanyeol smiled at the compliment and pressed the play button.

It was hard for Chanyeol to concentrate on the movie when Baekhee will occasionally her lips (to of the bits of popcorn and the sweet caramel) and Chanyeol thought that she looked different today. He glanced at her again, his gaze longer this time.

Her long wavy black hair flowed down her shoulders, a smile on her face whenever Troy and Gabriella appears on the screen. The sunlight shining through the glass door giving Baekhee a soft glow and Chanyeol was too mesmerized in her that he didn’t realize the movie had ended.

‘Yeol?’, she waved her hand in front of his face.

‘Huh?’, his expression dazed.

‘The movie ended...’, she looked at the bowl and gave a sheepish smile ‘…and so did the popcorn.’

‘O-Oh. It’s fine.’

‘Do you want me to make another batch? I’ll be right back-’

Chanyeol pulled her and pressed his lips on Baekhee’s.

Baekhee froze. Her mind went blank for a moment and soon realized that Chanyeol was kissing her. Chanyeol’s lips is on hers.

Oh my god.

Baekhee pushed Chanyeol away, shocking the latter. His eyes widened when he saw Baekhee’s expression. Her eyes were wavering and she looks scared. Why?

‘Baek, I-’

She pushed the big white pillow away and ran out from Chanyeol’s apartment.

‘BAEK!’, Chanyeol ran after her and stopped when he heard the door next to his apartment being slammed. What have I done?

Images of a scared Baekhee flooded his mind and Chanyeol was about to go insane. Everything was ruined. He stared helplessly at the DVDs and the empty bowl.

What is going to happen now?

 

Baekhee slammed the door and her head was spinning. Her knees went weak and she fell to the floor.

Chanyeol kissed her. He crossed the line she drew. Baekhee refused to think about what was going to happen to them after today and she didn’t realize tears were flowing down her cheeks.

What she was saving and protecting all these years, were all in vain.

She’s scared.

Her phone rang and she looked at the dialer.

Chanyeol.

It rang several times and Baekhee just stared helplessly at her phone.

The fact that Baekhee wasn’t answering his calls was driving Chanyeol up the wall. He rushed to Baekhee’s door and knocked it.

‘Baek, we need to talk.’

There was no reply.

‘Baek, please don’t do this. I know you’re in there. Please, Baek.’, Chanyeol said desperately.

There was silence and Chanyeol felt a tug in his heart when he knew Baekhee was totally going to avoid him for the time being.

 

****

 

‘Dude, what happened to you?’, Jongin asked when Chanyeol sat in front of him at the lunch table.

‘Yeah, you look like .’, Sehun continued.

Chanyeol glared at him and Sehun rolled his eyes in response. ‘What’s the matter? Assignment? Girl problem?’

Jongin gasped dramatically and whispered ‘Your ity?’

‘No, you numbskull.’, Chanyeol deadpanned at Jongin’s stupidity.

‘I was just trying to brighten your mood, pal.’, Jongin glared at Chanyeol before biting into his burger.

‘I’ll take it as girl problem. So, what’s the matter? You kissed Baekhee?’, Sehun asked nonchalantly.

Chanyeol widened his eyes. ‘How did you know about that?’

Sehun smirked, ‘I just know stuffs.’ and Chanyeol looked at him suspiciously. Thanks to Kyungsoo-noona.

Jongin’s expression was scandalous. ‘Woah, you finally kissed her! That’s like a dream come true for you! So, what’s with that long face?’

‘The thing is she doesn’t feel that way, Jongin.’, Chanyeol sighed.

‘What?! Don’t you two have mutual feelings for each other?’

‘I don’t know.’, Chanyeol mumbled and banged his forehead against the lunch table. He felt like crying.

Sehun shook his head at the pathetic sight before him. He patted Chanyeol’s shoulder and said ‘It’s gonna be fine. She just needs time to understand things.’

‘Hey, why don’t we go clubbing tonight? It can help to lift up your mood.’, Jongin suggested and Sehun nodded his head with a smile, thinking about someone.

‘No thanks, guys.’, Chanyeol mumbled and Sehun’s smile dropped.

‘Basketball?’

‘Nah.’

‘Food?’

Chanyeol shook his head weakly. ‘I should go now. You guys have fun.’ Chanyeol stood up and walked out of the cafeteria.

‘This is one major problem, dude.’, Jongin nudged Sehun.

 

Chanyeol stared at his watch. 1:30am. Why isn’t she back yet?

Ever since that day, Baekhee had been coming home really late and Chanyeol didn’t have the chance to talk to her. He finds himself waking up on the couch every morning where he had fallen asleep waiting for Baekhee. Her shoes were not on the rack every morning and Chanyeol wondered if Baekhee came back home or not.

The next morning, Chanyeol came out from his unit and looked at Baekhee’s door. Again.

He sighed and walked to the campus.

Baekhee came out from the washroom and spotted Chanyeol walking along the hall. Her eyes widened and she immediately turned back to the washroom and muttered a few ‘Sorry’ as she bumped into a few girls. Oh my god.

She’s been avoiding Chanyeol for almost a week and she’s currently staying at Kyungsoo’s house. She feels bad about crashing at Kyungsoo’s place but it’s the only way she can avoid Chanyeol and get advices about her current status with Chanyeol. Besides, Kyungsoo’s culinary skills are excellent.

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you dear subscribers and silent readers! Do comment and subscribe^^