CHAPTER 1 : THE DAY

Then, Now and Forever

‘Chanyeol!’, a way too familiar voice called him from the back of the school hall.

3, 2, 1

A pair of arms lunged from the back and he saw those slender fingers waving two tickets to the musical show this Saturday in front of his face.

Chanyeol turned around and smiled at the person before him. Byun Baekhee.

‘Do you want to go?’, Baekhee waved the tickets, grinning.

‘Of course! It’s not easy getting those tickets.’, Chanyeol took the tickets, looking at in awe.

‘Great! See you around and you’ll have to walk home alone today.’, Baekhee said, pushing her hair to the back and tying it into a ponytail.

‘Why? Where are you going?’, a small frown formed on Chanyeol’s face. He doesn’t like the idea of walking home without Baekhee.

‘I have a meeting with the music club juniors. Make sure you eat dinner, okay? Bye, Yeol!’, Baekhee quickly said after checking her watch and waved at him.

Chanyeol waved back and mouthed ‘Bye’ watching the elder disappear down the corridor. No way I’m letting you walk home alone.

 

Flipping through the lecturer’s notes, Chanyeol was writing his report about Business Management when he heard a familiar voice across the student lounge.

‘Bye, guys!’, Baekhee waved at her juniors before leaving them.

‘Bye, noona! You look pretty today!’, the juniors hollered and Baekhee shook her head before turning around.

Her eyes widened when she saw Chanyeol sitting at the student lounge with papers sprawled on the table, flipping through his notes and playing with his pen.

Chanyeol?

Sensing her presence, Chanyeol looked up and Baekhee found herself staring into those big, brown orbs. It was comforting considering the long day she had today.

‘Why didn’t you go home?’, she asked, taking a seat in front of the younger.

‘I can’t let you walk home alone, Baek. It’s dangerous. Especially when people are calling you pretty.’, Chanyeol said, his expression serious.

Baekhee laughed and Chanyeol continued ‘ Aren’t they getting bored of calling you pretty all the time?’

‘Does it bother you?’, she asked with a playful grin.

Chanyeol cleared his throat and looked away, keeping his notes in his bag.

Baekhee sighed and said ‘I’m tired. How can you even write your report at this hour?’. Her face landed on the table, eyes staring at the wall clock. 9:30pm.

A white paper cup blocked her view and she got up, finding Chanyeol smiling at her.

‘Caramel macchiato. I thought something sweet would help you stay awake to complete the report before Professor Kim kills us.’

She took the cup and inhaled the aroma before sipping it. The warm liquid flowed down and Baekhee suddenly felt energy coming back to her. Not completely energized but it’s enough to complete one page of the report.

‘You know me too well, Yeol.’, she said in between sips.

‘Always.’, he smirked. We’ve been friends for 8 years, Baek.

‘Shall we go back?’, she asked, getting up from her seat.

‘Let’s go.’

 

*****

 

‘Thanks for the drink.’, Baekhee said with a smile.

‘It’s no big deal. That’s what friends are for.’, Chanyeol said with a small smile, his tone slightly bitter at the end.

‘You should enter.’, Baekhee said even though she knows what Chanyeol will say next.

‘After you.’

A big smile appeared on her face upon hearing those words. She took out her key to the rented apartment unit and opened the door.

‘Goodnight, Yeol.’, Baekhee said softly.

‘Goodnight, Baek.’, Chanyeol replied, eyes fixated on Baekhee’s before the door was closed.

Entering her room, she took off her shoes and plopped on her bed, eyes on the ceiling.

The things you do, Yeol.

 

‘Off you two go to the school hall! Now!’, a middle-aged man barked at the two students before him.

‘Yes, sir.’, the two said sulkily before walking off with a broom and a dustpan in their hands.

Baekhee muttered a ‘Stupid’ under her breath. Not at her teacher but her classmate, Jongdae. She was caught sneaking in a ham sandwich into the classroom for him because he missed his lunch break. A punishment from their homeroom teacher for fooling around in the library earlier.

Baekhee and another boy with big eyes and ears, slightly taller than her arrived at the school hall. Her eyes landed on the white grand piano, used only on special occasions or events in the school.

‘Let’s get started before the teacher makes his round.’, he said with a frown, looking at rubbish scattered all over the floor.

Chanyeol started sweeping the floor and stopped when someone was playing the grand piano.

‘YAH! You can’t play with that! Mr. Choi will be making his rounds any minute and -’, he hissed, ready to give the girl a piece of his mind but stopped on his tracks when she started singing while playing the piano. Her soothing voice blending in with the harmonization of the melody. It completely captivated Chanyeol.

Chanyeol found himself staring at the singing girl, her slender fingers moving along the black and white keys. The light from the stage glowered upon her, making her shine and Chanyeol was beginning to believe that angels do exist.

She stopped playing and skipped down the small stairway.

‘Sorry, the grand piano was too irresistible.’, she said with a smile, picking up the tin cans and tossing them into a box.

‘Oh, it’s okay.’, Chanyeol said, expression dazed.

‘You’re Park Chanyeol, right? From Class 2.’

‘Yeah. Byun Baekhee from Class 1, am I right?’

‘You are.’, she giggled and Chanyeol thought that may be the most cutest giggle his ears have ever heard.

‘Why are you here for detention?’, he asked, pouring the rubbish and dust into the huge bin from his dustpan.

‘Sneaked in a ham sandwich for Jongdae. That kid.’, Baekhee shook her head and Chanyeol laughed. ‘You?’, she asked back.

‘For fooling around the science lab. Knocked over Mrs. Jung’s flower pot.’

‘Boys.’, Baekhee rolled her eyes.

They exchanged small talks and they soon got comfortable with each other. Chanyeol discovered that Baekhee was beautiful, inside and out. Baekhee thought that Chanyeol was handsome and charming. The both of them head back to their respective classes after cleaning up the hall.

Chanyeol spotted Baekhee at the bus stop outside their school, earphones on both ears.

‘Hey.’, Chanyeol smiled.

‘Oh? You’re still here?’, Baekhee asked, taking out her earphones.

‘Yeah. When will the bus-’, his phone rang before he could finish his sentence. He swiped the screen and answered it. Chanyeol turned around and saw the family’s chauffeur.

‘I gotta go. Take care!.’, Chanyeol said, taking a few steps back before turning around. He stopped halfway and turned around, looking at Baekhee.

Baekhee smiled and gave him a small wave. He walked up to her again and stopped in front of her.

‘Let’s be good friends, Byun Baekhee.’, Chanyeol extended his arm, offering a handshake.

Baekhee stared at him and broke out into a big bright smile. She shook hands with Chanyeol and Chanyeol decided that Tuesday was his favourite day of the week. The day a special friendship was formed.

 

 

 

 

 


How was it? /embarassed/ Please comment and subscribe! Thank you^^