Ch.1

How did it come to this

"Mr. Kim...excuse me Mr. Kim!" Seokjin quickly sat up startled. He had fallen asleep again in his class, but he couldn't help it. He hasn't been able to sleep since he got his night job. He's lucky if he could get at least 1 hour of sleep every night, "I'm sorry professor. I swear I'm trying to keep myself awake." The professor scoffs, "just because your on a full ride scholarship doesn't mean you can just do as you please Mr. Kim. If you fail this class I'll have no sympathy for you. Now if you'd like to pick from page 5 that would be great." Muttering a "yes sir" Jin couldn't help but feel like this type of treatment was unfair. He worked hard, suffering sleepless night and collapsing so many times while still in high school, to get this full ride Scholarship just so money for school wouldn't be an issue.

It shouldn't have been like this. There was a time when Jin was happy. He slept well. He ate properly. Bruises and cuts didn't cover his body. When his father was alive. 

It was when he was in middle school and his little brothers hoseok and taehyung were in elementary. To them everything seemed family picture perfect. They would be picked up from school by their lovely mother. They'd talk excitedly about their day until they got home. After finishing any homework the boys would go help their mother cook. Well taehyung "helped" aka can you watch the potatoes boil and make sure they aren't over boiling. Then when they were almost done their father would come home ready to tell them about his exciting day at work. He was a firefighter after all so his days were never boring. Then after eating they'd all spend sometime watching tv. After a while it was time to get ready for bed. Seokjin would wish everyone a goodnight and leave to his room. Their mother would put his little brothers to sleep reading them a story. It was all so picture perfect. 

"W-what do you mean? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY HE CAN'T BE!" It was probably the first time in seokjin's life that he saw his mother scream like that. They were all sitting at the kitchen table waiting for their dad to come back, when their mom got a call. She just kept screaming in the phone and suddenly broke into tears. Never seeing this side of their mother the boys couldn't do anything but watch stunned and afraid. As the tension in the room just kept getting stronger and stronger it was suddenly broken when their mom lost it.

She threw her phone and it hit taehyung straight on to his forehead. It was shock to say the least, but that didn't stop taehyung from crying out in pain. Blood seeping out of the wound, "Mom what are you doing?!" Suddenly realizing that things weren't okay anymore Jin when to his brother side trying to calm him down as he kept sobbing and asking why did mom hit him, "she didn't mean it taehyung she's didn't mean to hit you right mom? Mom what's wrong?" Seokjin could feel the cold from his mom's glare, "shut the up!" That's all it took for everything to go pin drop silent until hoseok let out a very then imid, "mom?" That's when all hell broke loose.

"You guys. What I'm about to tell you will shock you guys, but no one else it hurting more than me so you better not cry okay. I don't want you guys to cry! I can't handle it right now. Your father. He's dead. He died while trying to escape a fire." She paused and started to cry again, "he's a ing idiot leaving me! HOW COULD HE JUST LEAVE ME." Grabbing a plate near her she threw it shattering it. She lost it then opening all the cabinets throwing stuff around. Glass was shattering some piecing cutting the boys but they could do nothing but sit and watch in shock as their mother lost her mind and herself. 

"MOM STOP PLEASE!" It was taehyung he got out of seokjin's grip and ran towards her grabbing her legs trying to hold her still, "BRAT LET ME GO" she swung at taehyung hitting him hard enough for him to fall over. He let out a pained shout as he landed on the glass. Hoseok was the next to run to cover taehyung as it looked like his mother was gonna strike him again. Hoseok took a hit to his nose causing it to bleed. Seokjin felt like stone watching this but he couldn't sit there. He couldn't sit there and watch his little brother be hit by this.....this monster that looked like his mother. 

Getting up roughly seokjin grabbed her arms and held her back, "hobi grab tae and take him to your room okay. Lock the door and don't ever open it unless it's me okay. Don't worry okay now go." Openly sobbing Hoseok could only nob as he picked up tae and dragged him to their room. This whole time their mother thrashing in seokjin's grip trying to get free, "You bastard let me go! Who do you think you are." It broke his heart hearing these words from someone that was supposed to be his mother, "mom you have to clam down please! I know that it hurts that dad is gone but you can't release your emotions like this. You hurt tae and hobi." His mother the  went limp and seokjin loosened his grin only for her to break away. Seokjin will never forget the disgusting smile his mom gave him and the laugh that belted out of her, "you know that it hurts? You didn't love him how I loved him you ing brat. He meant more than me than the three of you ever did. You want to stand here and tell me you know how it feels like to have your heart ripped out of you? I'll show you Seokjin. How hurt I really am." 

Nothing prepared Seokjin to be slapped by his mother so hard that he could taste blood in his mouth. He was harshly shoved and he fell over. Without any warning his mother started hitting and kicking him. It was all to shocking. How could it all went so down hill. This morning his mom kissed him goodbye after she dropped him off at school. Now he's laying here bleeding and bruised because his own mother is beating him. It hurt so bad she didn't care where her hits landed. He just wanted this all to end. 

Around 2 minutes later his mother stopped gasping for air. She straightened herself out and the dead look in her eye said she was done. Not even acknowledging Jin she walked out of the kitchen and he could hear her bedroom door slam shut. He wanted to cry. Go after her and make sure she wouldn't do anything hasty, but their was something else on his mind. His brothers.

Trying his hardest to get up without pain was impossible. Everything hurt, but he knew his brothers were hurting to and they always come first. Finally getting to his feet jin dragged himself upstairs and first to the bathroom to get the first aid kit and finally to his brothers room. He could hear tae's crying while Hoseok tried to comfort him. Once he knocked on the door they quiet down instantly, "don't worry guys it just me." He never saw a door open so fast and taehyung was on his feet ready to run to Seokjin for comfort when they saw how badly beaten their brother was, "hyung...." Seokjin ignored them and quickly walked into the room and locked the door again, "Jin hyung did mom do this to you?" Hoseok wanted to grab jin but he couldn't find a place that wasn't horribly injured, "no hobi it wasn't mom....that lady isn't mom she's a monster" taehyung said while crying, "I want mom and dad hyung. It hurts really bad." Tae cried more pointing at his wounds. Hoseok also started crying, "Hyung is everything gonna be okay? Will mom be back to normal tomorrow...and what about dad." Seokjin didn't know what to say. He was suppose to be able to comfort them but he was trying to stop himself from breaking down to, "I don't know hobi but let's stop talking about it for now okay...let me patch up your wounds and let's go to bed okay." 

After cleaning them up and laying them down Jin started setting some rules, "okay guys I know this is all tough and I feel like it'll take a while for things to go back to normal so let's have a few new rules when we are home. I'll be picking you guys up from school okay, once we get home go straight to your rooms and always lock the door. Don't ever open it for anyone but me okay. Never mom. I know it'll be hard to do this but In the morning change and get out of the house as fast as you can." That would mean no breakfast but it's better to be a little hungry then beaten and hurt. Tae an Hoseok could only nob and cry, "after tonight no more crying okay. We need to be strong. Also if anyone ask what happened to you, say we got into a little accident but we're okay. Don't let them know mom hit you." Tae sat up, "why should we lie Hyung? Isn't lying bad." Seokjin had to think quick, "uh it's okay this time Tae. You can lie once but don't do it after that okay? Now get to sleep guys we gotta get up for school tomorrow okay. I know it's scary but hyung will always be here to protect you okay don't ever forget that." Jin got up and began to walk to the door when Hoseok grabbed his hand, "hyung are you okay? Does anything hurt?" Seokjin could feel tears sting his eyes, "yeah hobi I'm a big boy this is nothing..goodnight." Looking unsure Hoseok let go of Jin's hand and said goodnight. After making sure the door was locked he went straight to his room and once the door closed he collapsed, the pain of his beating suddenly over taking him. 

He looked over to a mirror and could see the bruise on his cheek and slight dried blood around his lip. Slowly and took his shirt off and could only sit there numb as he looked at his body. There were bruises scattering everywhere and some bleeding wounds. After a minute he couldn't stand the sight of himself anymore putting on some new clothes and laying down on his bed. Finally letting the event of today hit him jin lost it. Sobbing isn't his pillow so his little brothers couldn't hear him. His father was dead. His mother hurt his little brothers. Life wasn't gonna be that same anymore. Their lives suddenly changed when they lost not only their father but mother to. 

The morning after was tough. The pain tripled when he tried getting out of bed but his worries laid else where. Getting his brothers safely out of the house and to school. He changed to his uniform and carefully opened the door. He walked over to his brothers room and knock saying it was him. Hoseok opened the door slowly and Seokjin could feel his heart break as he saw the bruise on Hoseok's nose, "hyung tae says he doesn't feel to good." Seokjin walked in to see Taehyung curled in his bed shivering, "tae come on we have to go soon. You can't stay home today mom isn't okay to take care of you." Tae look up quickly to Jin, "hyung my stomach and head hurt really bad and I feel really cold." Seokjin knew just by looking at taehyung that he was full blown sick but they couldn't stay home much longer, "Tae I know, but we can't stay here okay we have to go to school. Come on get up," Seokjin could feel how much he was burning up and everything in him said he needed help but they couldn't do anything right now. 

Finally getting everything and one settled he opened the door and looked around slowly. He grabbed both his brother hands and that they began to walk quickly but carefully. Once down stairs they sped walked to the front door and Jin looked around once more to only see how messy the house was. Not wanting to think about last night he opened the door and out they went finally feeling free. 

"Tae listen I know you feel really bad but you have to endure it okay. You can't go to the nurses office okay." Taehyung looked up as his brother, "why?" Seokjin sighed,
"Because they'll see what mom did and they'll have to send you to the hospital and then we could get mom in trouble and mom isn't okay right now." Hoseok agreed with him so Taehyung would to, "okay hyung. I'll do the best that I can." Seokjin felt awful having to do this to him. Tae looked horrible. He was pale and looked like walking was a hard struggle, "Hoseok look after him okay. Also I know you guys are hungry and I'm sorry about that but we gotta endure this just for a while. Make sure to eat a heavy lunch okay." They both nobbed and finally they made it to their school gate, "okay guys be good and remember everything I told you. Wait for me after school to go home. Tae please try really hard to avoid the nurses office okay." He could only nob as the school bell rang. They waved goodbye and school went by without a hitch. 

Well of course there were the questions about their wounds but so far everyone bought the whole accident story. Lunch was heaven for jin considering he was starving by the time it rolled around. He knows that missing breakfast wasn't easy on its own but he remembered that they hadn't even eaten dinner either which concerned him about taehyung. How was he. Miserable would probably be the best bet. 

When the last bell rang Jin couldn't get out of the class room fast enough. Relief hit him when he saw his brothers waiting by the school gate. He install ran up to Tae who looked even worse than he did in the morning, "come on Tae we'll go to a convince store real quick and get you some medication okay?" Hoseok looked concerned, "hyung....he couldn't keep his lunch down." Seokjin felt his stress inscrease, "Tae how do you feel right now be honest okay." Taehyung looked at him with such a pained expression, "I'll be okay hyung I just need some medicine and a bit of rest. I'm sorry I tried to keep my lunch down but I kept feeling dizzy and nauseous. I promise though I'm doing a lot better." Lies, "okay Tae make sure as soon as we get home you rest okay. We need you to get better." 

The walk to the store was okay Tae was still holding up. Though once we got near the house the whole story changed, "h-hyung I feel really dizzy." Seokjin quickly looked at Taehyung who was swaying and before he could even think taehyung collapsed. Hoseok gasped as he knelt down to his little brother, "Tae? TAE? Hyung we have to get him to a doctor." Seokjin didn't know what to do. He couldn't take Tae to a doctor. His mother isn't functional. It was all starting to seem hopeless when taehyung sat up, "no...I'll be okay. I was just dizzy. Just some sleep." Seokjin never wanted to cry more than this moment. 

Eventually their daily routine was made. Get up. Change. Check for mom. Get out the door. Their mother having not caught on yet to their way of avoiding her took another way to comfort her. Alcohol. The house smelled strongly of it, but as long as that kept her away from them they didn't care. Everything stayed this way until seokjin's 2nd year if high school.